• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reason against Autosaves: Pokemon is a one save file rpg. You know what sucks? Autosave in games with one save file. Because that autosave is usually writing over the last manual save regardless of if you want it to or not! Accidentally used up an item you didn't mean to/used it on the wrong pokemon? If the game autosaves afterwards, you gotta live with that mess up! Because there's no going back! Or even worse, if pokemon ever does the dreaded rpg trope of saving in a location where you can't go back to level up/heal/get more items. Child me quit many an rpg back in the old days due to that one, let me tell you.

You save pokemon games by pausing. You don't have to go to a save point/cathedral/world map to access saving data. You don't have to wait until you're out of a hostile area. You just hit the menu button, click a couple times and boom saved. You wanna save right in front of Giovanni during the Rainbow Rocket Scenario? No problemo! There's really no need for auto saving in a pokemon game. Unless it's auto saving before online stuff like trades and things so that there's no problems in case something happens in the interaction which I'm pretty sure it already does. Autosaving is really only important to me in games where you can die quickly and often. Like Skyrim. Or Dragon's Dogma. Or horror games. You don't really get punished for losing in pokemon games, you get sent back to the pokemon center, not the load save screen.

Here’s a simple solution:

You can still manually save, and the game will autosave after taking x amount of steps. Then, when you decide to reload the game, you can pick to load from either the manual save or the most recent autosave. Everyone is happy. No fear of losing a shiny legendary or whatever.
There's a huge problem with this- having multiple saves for a pokemon game would allow you to duplicate pokemon by trading them away and then reloading the save file where you still had the pokemon you traded.

No, because a lot of times you cannot find the right save with that many. It takes a lot of data to have that many, and it still saves over the last save. Sometimes going back still is messed up because of an existing save further along. This was quite literally an issue I had. There was something I wanted, and could not get because there was already an existing save past that point, so no this does not always work either.

There's a huge problem with this- having multiple saves for a pokemon game would allow you to duplicate pokemon by trading them away and then reloading the save file where you still had the pokemon you traded.
That’s a fair point against autosaves.

I’m just trying to say that autosaves are not gonna make manual save files disappear. That’s all. I don’t personally care if gen 8 will have autosaves or not.

Last edited:
Not only that, but that would also allow you to manipulate the game into allowing you to have more than one Pokemon that's exactly the same, the whole point of IV's, EV's and Natures is so the Pokemon doesn't become exactly like another.

Anyway...

What are hoping for the villains in gen 8?
I hope that the villains aren't really villains... I could go for a complex story where the "bad guys" aren't really bad guys, they just have a different viewpoint that isn't actually evil. It could make for some interesting version differences if you were put on different sides of a conflict with equally valid views.

Then how about this: the autosave would be its own file you could select, but you can't use it for online/multiplayer activity unless you save said progress onto the main save file. Yes, it would be annoying for some, but it would also help those out who forgot to save a certain point and don't want to go back to a point where you have to redo something significant. Basically, the autosave would function as a backup file that you have to save to your main file into order to do certain things.

Anyway...

What are hoping for the villains in gen 8?

I loved team skull but given that they were more on the comical side, I'd enjoy a serious team again. Although given at how much gamefreak likes breaking tradition, I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't even have a villain team next gen

I loved team skull but given that they were more on the comical side, I'd enjoy a serious team again. Although given at how much gamefreak likes breaking tradition, I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't even have a villain team next gen
If there's no villain, then what would we get to get the story moving?

Plot's not always done through a villain. There could be a bunch of exploration and discovery of legends, or meeting new people and helping them through their journeys.

If there's no villain, then what would we get to get the story moving?
a big mystery and a squad of quirky investigators who can't quite seem to leave you alone. Their meddling tends to cause trouble they're either oblivious to or underestimate , all the while, you just want to become the region's new champion

a big mystery and a squad of quirky investigators who can't quite seem to leave you alone. Their meddling tends to cause trouble they're either oblivious to or underestimate , all the while, you just want to become the region's new champion
And the protagonist while dealing with these people-

6n3895neh7n11.gif

There could still be a villain, just not like the traditional teams we've come to know. Even 7th gen sort of played with the villain teams role in the story a bit given team skull weren't even really bad people by the end of s/m

I also kinda hope for some non-pokemon enemies to fight- like Ultra Beasts should have been. It'd be a nice change to have an opponent to fight that isn't a pokemon in any capacity. But with UBs kind of being the ideal for that, I guess that ship is long gone now.

Still like the idea that I had had about a new type of pokemon that would act as support pokemon. Like a kind of mini pokemon that you could attach to a regular pokemon and get stat or move boosts of some sort.

I also kinda hope for some non-pokemon enemies to fight- like Ultra Beasts should have been. It'd be a nice change to have an opponent to fight that isn't a pokemon in any capacity. But with UBs kind of being the ideal for that, I guess that ship is long gone now.

Still like the idea that I had had about a new type of pokemon that would act as support pokemon. Like a kind of mini pokemon that you could attach to a regular pokemon and get stat or move boosts of some sort.
Like Spirits in Smash Ultimate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom