• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pokémon Sword and Shield speculation thread (Updated June 5th, 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What if the color schemes of the Pokemon give the Typing away, since especially with Scorbunny, its primary color seems to be white and if you didn't saw the trailer, you prolly wouldn't know its a fire type without looking at the feet or the tips of the ears. Based on the color scheme, Scorbunny screams Fire/Steel or Fire/Normal for me, while Grooky screams Fire/Ground or Fire/Rock and Sobble screams Water/Electric but then the way it came out of the water screams Water/Ghost or Water/Psychic.

So watching the trailer at work wasn't the greatest thing ever, but here are my thoughts now that I have time to actually write them-

The scenery looks amazing!

...and that's the one thing that I really loved about it.

All the UK discussion made me so done with the UK for the next three years, so I'm not too excited about the region choice. Seeing the map doesn't help any either because of how painfully small and linear it is. Hopefully it feels bigger in-game but man... narrow region.

I'm thinking that next generation is going to have to update the pokemon models to match how good the scenery looks, because they're looking a bit out of place now. Also disappointed to see that random encounters seem to have made a return... hopefully following pokemon will be a thing anyway? We do need some sort of ride feature, at least.

After seeing how gorgeous the scenery looked, seeing the starters felt so out of place. They're very plain... too plain. =( Definitely a step down from Alola's starters, for me.

Grookey I think is maybe the cutest of the three, but I... hate monkeys. A lot.

Scorbunny is so in danger of becoming a Fire/Fighting-type, or a final evo that looks like Fire/Fighting but pulls an Incineroar like anyone is really fooled by that Dark-type. I'm especially disappointed because the fake fire rabbit by that Italian artist had a far superior design. Guess we'll just have to see where this one goes and if its evo can redeem it.
(Also I give up on denying the Zodiac thing at this point, but I find it really disappointing that fire-types are now this predictable.)

Sobble's design I think is the worst of the three but I also have the most hope for this one because I think a Water/Dragon final evolution might be possible. So uh... fingers crossed a bit there.

If I had to hazard a guess on their final evo types, I would go with...
Grookey - Grass/Ground gorilla
Scorbunny - Fire/Electric speed bunny or a Fire/Fairy princess grown up from her tomboyish ways
Sobble - Water/Dragon

ALSO ARE YOU KIDDING ME, STILL NO RELEASE DATE? Geez. XD

I'm thinking the zoom in on the map was to show its scale. I'm hoping, at least. And I think the trains will stop it from being linear. Unova was a very simplistic set of routes and B2W2 helped tremendously. I'm hoping tjey're taking lessons from that, but we'll have to wait and see. I admit, the models made me miss how beautiful the scenery was the first time. It's a huge upgrade, but the models feel out of date.

Last edited:
I'm sure this has been brought up, but is anyone else thinking this whole game is going to take the whole soccer thing and make it the main driving force of the region. Evil team's being sports teams extreme. Looking at a high res version of a map, I keep seeing these buildings that must be gyms, but they all share an arena like design.

View attachment 116284

We see a player go into an arena wearing a uniform. Scorbunny is clearly football/soccer inspired. And I googled football emblems because I'm not a sports person, but I've been around enough that the wolf logos reminded me of them. This popped up:

View attachment 116285

I'm just thinking back to Kalos and how scattered their ideas were while doubling down on France as fashion. I really hope we get a complex evil team to rival Aether and Skull. I'd hate to regress to Flare and it's wayyyyyyy too early to think about that, especially with a region as beautiful and with a map as interesting as Galar... But I'm slightly concerned that could happen. Making the gyms part of the evil team, so the whole thing is corrupt. It could be interesting, I just wonder how the execution will be if that's the direction they take.
I think that gyms are like the national sport? Maybe every gym specializes in a different sport but all you do is basically battle.
From what It looks like the starters are based on Baseball. Don't know why on earth they would choose baseball but hey...

At the end of the direct they say "that's not all. We have plenty more in the works for the Pokémon brand to delight you" I've been wondering what they mean by that if it's just like all the stuff/new Pokemon for the game, smaller game stuff (like side games), or something else.

Brand is the keyword

Detective Pikachu is a Pokemon Brand

So is the Mewtwo movie

I am... so uncomfortable with the idea that every gym is going to be a sports arena. =/

Yeah. That's exactly how I'm feeling. I'm wondering if the praise trials got means that this is their way if merging the two ideas. Regional themes, this time being a sports arena.

I will try to guess what types the final forms ill have.

Grass/Rock (based on the rock we saw)
Fire/Steel (you can hear steel creaking on steel)
Water/Dragon (because nearly every reptile is a dragon for GF).

I think the primary design connections with Scorbunny and that design are the use of white as a sort of base color, red/yellow accents, them both being bipedal rabbits, and that the face mask could theoretically be an evolution of the bandage on Scorbunny's face.

I actually really like that design and think its clever and fairly solid- however, I also think its also really likely to be a complete coincidence. Loads of people were coming up with rabbit starter concepts, red/yellow are common colors for fire type designs, and the face mask thing might be a bit of a stretch. I really think Scorbunny's evolutions are going to have something to do with soccer- that being said, I thought Popplio would be a clown and was bitterly disappointed, so who knows.

I think it really might come down to 'does the text check out', because if it doesn't, that'll rule it out right away.
The other thing being fishy about this design is the rumor that certain PKMN get armor evolutions through Meltan interaction. This looks like an 'aror' form....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom