• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Speculation Future Pokemon Game Speculation Thread

I though that it was more of a CGI trailer that doesn't necessarily reflect the graphics of the game. I suppose that is possible given how unusual it is for Game Freak to skip a year for a game release like this. They still have the Nintendo Switch logo in the trailer, but I guess that wouldn't necessarily prove that it couldn't be a Switch 2 title. They obviously couldn't officially announce a new system through this teaser trailer and they could just later confirm that it is for the Switch 2 instead. I could still see Game Freak having one more proper Switch Pokemon game, but the idea of having something like a Pokemon Legends game available near the launch of a new Nintendo console system sounds plausible at least.

It might be just a CGI trailer and Game Freak typically does not jump on new hardware Year 1, but IDK. The timing is so suspicious. I could see a hardware delay being the only reason this game isn't a Holiday 2024 title seeing as they've religiously had something for the holiday season every year for the last 10 years.

I think this is a way of reusing ideas slated for a Z version.

Fitting that the generation cut short for an anniversary is now revisited because of another anniversary

I can't help but laugh because I'm legit annoyed by this announcement. :X3: Kalos is the region that I have the least attachment to, so the fact that we're revisiting it next year just bums me out. Even though I don't love Unova, at the very least I admit that B2/W2 were among the best core games ever released in the franchise IMO, so I'd rather take a Unova based game over this any day of the week.

This ZA game is the kind of release that would've been neat 10 years ago when Kalos was still relevant and folks were eager for an expansion of Gen 6, but now it just bugs me because it came too late and there are better generations/regions that I'd rather play through. :shroomad:

Also I'm a bit confused. Why do some folks think this game is intended for the Switch 2 when the original Switch logo was shown at the start of the trailer? Also when has a main series Pokemon game ever been a launch title for a new console?

I guess we were going to Kalos after all but not in the way we expected lol. I wonder if they will connect the plot with SV. Maybe they will confirm the theory that AZ attacked Paldea and the ultimate weapon created Area Zero.

I wonder if this means Serena will get promoted again. Will she get sent to the past like Dawn? Perhaps the anime will do something with this since she is such a popular character. Not sure who the ancestors would be this time, most Kalos characters aren't that interesting and not that many characters have a connection to Kalos outside of the region. Fantina speaks English in the Japanese version, if I remember correctly.

Here is something to think about: Did something happen? Why would it be a REdevelopment plan if the city is already built? If this is a sequel in the sense of Pokémon BW2, then something must have happened. Sure I could just be missing something.

Here is something to think about: Did something happen? Why would it be a REdevelopment plan if the city is already built? If this is a sequel in the sense of Pokémon BW2, then something must have happened. Sure I could just be missing something.
If it is in the past then maybe it will show how the modern version of the city was made like how old Paris is different compared to now.

If it is in the past then maybe it will show how the modern version of the city was made like how old Paris is different compared to now.
True. Perhaps as we go through the game, we can help with improving the city. Much like how we help in developing Jubilife Village in Legends: Arceus.

Legends Z-A thread
General note: I've gone ahead and made a thread specific to Legends Z-A speculation and discussion, which you can find here.

We'll keep this thread open for speculation & discussion of future Pokemon game releases in this year and beyond. I'll rename the thread to reflect this change.

Exactly, I think the same way. I made a broader comment about my interpretation of the trailer in the thread created by TheCapsFan

I don't get why they choose "Game Breaking" city for Legends AZ

In fact, this is suspicious. I commented about this in the topic created by TheCapsFan.

Also RIP Unova stans. Gen 5 fans must be very upset that they skipped to Kalos. Although we might get a Unova remake a few years later.
I love the fifth generation games and I'm more surprised than upset. I kind of wanted them to expand on the Unova Legendary Dragon lore, but that could still happen down the road through another Legends game. Admittedly, I was looking forward to planning out my B/W remake teams. I love a lot of Unova Pokemon and I enjoy planning out my teams ahead of time too, but waiting until the next system to release B/W remake is ultimately for the best. That generation is held in high regard among a lot of fans, so taking more time to develop those remake will hopefully work out in the long run. This seems more like confirmation that there isn't set order for what region gets the Legends treatment as opposed to Unova being ignored. As cool as it would have been to get a Legends Unova game, Kalos getting that attention isn't bad either. While I'm not a huge sixth generation fan, I still like X/Y and fleshing out the Kalos region with another game sounds good. People definitely wanted a Z version back in the day, so effectively giving one through Legends sounds potentially interesting.

I just hope that if we do get different starters like we did in Legends Arceus that they reveal their new Kalos evolved forms during the pre-release season. I would have loved to learn about Hisuian Typhlosion prior to playing Legends Arceus. I was set on picking Cyndaquil anyway, but it would have been cool to see these evolved forms earlier.

So the game will be based in the future? I was expecting an approach to the great war, the times of AZ and the creation of the ultimate weapon.

What have you noticed regarding the attention given to kalos? Personally, I didn't notice anything.
I'm assuming that the game will be set in the future due to how modern Lumiose City looks and the teaser does mention a redevelopment plan. We don't get a good look at the human characters, so it's hard to say if their clothing is older or more modern. Expanding on AZ wouldn't be a stretch, especially when the game's title is the reverse of his name, but it's hard to say for sure for now. I haven't noticed anything for Kalos either. That's one reason why I was surprised by this annoucement. Kalos hasn't really had any attention from TPCI compared to other regions like Unova.

It might be just a CGI trailer and Game Freak typically does not jump on new hardware Year 1, but IDK. The timing is so suspicious. I could see a hardware delay being the only reason this game isn't a Holiday 2024 title seeing as they've religiously had something for the holiday season every year for the last 10 years.
Yeah, that is admittedly the biggest point in favor of this theory. There have been main series release every year, whether they're brand new games or DLC, for a long time. Skipping a year is still not a bad thing. There is still a ton of Pokemon content. I still haven't finished the Scarlet/Violet DLC yet, so I could easily do that for the rest of the year. But it feels very strange to not have a main series release after a DLC year. That's why a part of me wonders if they have something else planned for this year. The Pokemon Presents was noticeably shorter than usual too. It's probably more likely that we'll have spin-off game announced at a Nintendo Direct or something instead to tie fans over until next year, but I can't help but think that they'll have some surprise announcement later in the year.

Also, if the game map is one giant interconnected city, that indicates an immersive sim element to gameplay.

Going by Legends Arceus' pseudo open world, this means gen 10 is going to be an immersive sim.

I'm not upset about the lack of Unova, it can wait another generation, but I'm a little annoyed we got nothing new for Johto. I feel like it deserves another remake, but maybe the reaction to BDSP scared GameFreak and ILCA away from the idea of doing something with Johto. This might also be the reason we're seemingly not getting proper Generation 6 remakes in the style of ORAS, HGSS, and BDSP.

You know...maybe this is controversial to say, but I don't think the Legends games are supposed to function as "remakes" in the way that FR/LG, HG/SS, or OR/AS did in the past, especially since this new game just focuses on Lumiose as opposed to the rest of the region. It feels more like its own entry in the mainline games and shouldn't rule out the possibility of more "traditional remakes" for other generations in the future. Or maybe we'll just get ports of older games lol

I'm not upset about the lack of Unova, it can wait another generation, but I'm a little annoyed we got nothing new for Johto. I feel like it deserves another remake, but maybe the reaction to BDSP scared GameFreak and ILCA away from the idea of doing something with Johto. This might also be the reason we're seemingly not getting proper Generation 6 remakes in the style of ORAS, HGSS, and BDSP.
Why is it okay that Unova was skipped, but a problem that Johto was too? Johto already got remakes in 2009 anyway.

And no, I don't count B2/W2 as remakes. Those were sequels that filled the "third version" spot, only split into two games. I'm a huge Johto stan but if Unova got screwed over and we have to tolerate that, then the same should apply to Johto which doesn't deserve special treatment imho.

I think that is indeed the case and that Legends ZA was meant to be a launch title for the Switch 2 and as simultaneous release for both the original Switch and the Switch 2, and that it was delayed from a planned fall 2024 release to an early 2025 release so that it would remain a Switch 2 launch title. I think that there is also a possibility that we get Gen 10 later on in 2025, meaning that we might have two separate main series games within the Switch 2's first year on the market.

tbh, everything depends on when the Switch 2 is gonna release in 2025. If its mid 2025, then there is no way we are getting gen 10 late 2025, since then we probably get Legends ZA late 2025.

However, if its early 2025 (Before April, due to fiscal year of 2024 ending april 1 2025), depending on the current state of development, Legends ZA will probably see a April/May releasedate.

Everything also depends on Mario and Zelda games coming early as well, although they might be like: If Pokemon Legends ZA comes out when the Switch 2 releases/close to release, we can spread them out and do Mario/Zelda mid/late 2025. Mario and Zelda generally get preference over Pokemon when a new console releases, because they are Nintendo IP's, while Pokemon isn't (Nintendo is only the publisher, not the developer).

Mario/Zelda are generally used for that early rush in sales, while Pokemon is generally used to push those sales numbers even more (As evident that we get a lot of Pokemon related Switches (Docks/Gamepads and so on).

Back
Top Bottom