• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Z-Moves: Do you even use them?

Life

oh my
Reaction score
Despite what you may have said before playing the game, do you find yourself using them now? Do you think they provide a noticeable difference to in-game play? What are your thoughts on them, and how they connect with the plot? Note: just remember to put any plot-spoilers in spoiler tags; thanks!

Personally I forget they're there half of the time, and even though it's your main reward for completing a trial I always look forward more to the 10 variant poké balls instead. But they're different I guess? I don't really see the need for them though.

Last edited:
I've used them in Kahuna battles before, specially as an ending blow to defeat their last Pokemon. Otherwise I hardly ever use them and I often forget about them.

Yeah, I think they're pretty fun, especially some of the status ones.

I used them in my first playthough but I also used Megas and Legendaries in my first playthrough of other generations (And I used legendaries in my Sun playthrough).

Z-moves do have an awesome animation to them (That Pika one from the trainer <3) but they are also overpowered, so like Megass and Legendaries, I'm banning them from my future playthroughs. (My first playthrough is always story focused)

I used them mainly to battle bosses, like totem and kahuna. Other than that I usually don't use them that much.

I keep forgetting to give them to my Pokémon. I'm hoping to evolve my Munchlax real soon, have it learn Giga Impact, then use the Snorlium-Z on him.

I use them for the final blow or sometimes when I find myself in trouble. I was struggling against Hapu mainly because of that overpowered Earthquake( I defeated dugtrio but mudsdale was way too hard)but greninja's hydro vortex saved the day.

I use it if I'm in a pinch and especially in an endless call for help battle.

Varies. I often forget about them, but they do provide useful when I'm in a bind or need to deal heavy damage fast. I plan to at least use my Starters' Z-Moves a bit more frequently once I get the respective Z-Crystals, but they're not high on my list. Though I do like the animations, as they look like moves you'd see in certain other games. So Z-Moves are a mixed bag for me, as it just boils down to what I need them for and if they'll provide me any sort of use in certain situations.

I usually use them when I'm too lazy to fight a long fight, or as a finisher against a character I really hate. Sometimes Sometimes I just use them to win a match, if only because it makes for a good finisher.

They're a lot less lame than I thought they'd be tbh. Still vastly prefer Megas, though.

Still vastly prefer Megas, though.

I think I've actually gone in the opposite direction on this. I like Mega Evolution well enough, but Z-Moves feel more climactic to me. I like trying to predict when would be the best time to deploy one, whereas with Mega Evolution, I would just trigger it at the start of the battle and continue on from there, business-as-usual. If I'm in the middle of a tough battle (which as a pleasant surprise, several of the big ones in SM have been for me), I find that Z-Moves are really immersive in that they can actually turn the tide in the way that Mega Evolution was intended to but never ended up doing (because the tendency is to just Mega Evolve right away; you get less mileage out of your Mega if you wait to use it at a dire moment).

But that's all just my experience. I do see why others would still prefer Mega Evolution.

I use them. It's just fun to pull a "There's no kill like overkill" bit, and having Inci use a Flare Blitz-boosted Inferno Overdrive OHKO'd the member of the Big Bad's team that gave a lot of trouble to other people so I could sweep the rest.

Last edited:
I use them quite often, especially to ensure a finishing blow to the end of a battle or a tough Pokemon.

Not really~ I've used them about twice at the point I am now (about to fight Olivia) and it was only VS Wishiwashi because my entire team was too weak for him~ XD

I wanna use them more, just never don't have good enough moves to make the most out of them~

I use them a lot. They're helpful for boss battles. And they're fun too, might as well learn all about them now so I can use them competitively where they'll surely be a big factor.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom