• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Most disappointing Alola Pokémon?

When I saw the shenanigans that Totem Lurantis got up to, alongside its gorgeous design and having an awesome signature move, I was beyond disappointed that it's outclassed by Tsareena in every possible way. Even it's only niche as a Contrary Leaf Storm spammer ... Serperior says hello.

I somehow was able to avoid all spoilers and revealing of new pokemon/new forms before getting the game so I can't really say that my expectations were let down by anything. I can say, though, that I think Persian's Alola form is ridiculous-looking and kind of disappointing. I mean, they basically just painted him grey and gave him a fat face. FAAAAACE. THAT FAAAAAACE. IT'S SO STUPID-LOOKIIIIIIIING. ^x__x^;;

That fact we got another evolution that has to be a particular gender bothers me a bit.

From a purely competitive standpoint, Crabominable. Ice/Fighting is a pretty fantastic offensive typing, and I think it really would've made sense on a fast, hard-hitting hockey-themed Pokemon.

However, I'm sure you all know how horrific of a defensive typing Ice is. Naturally, Game Freak decided to make the Ice/Fighting type slow as shit, without even giving it decent bulk to make up for being that slow (like M-Abomasnow). And just to rub salt in the wound, the thing doesn't get Mach Punch or Ice Shard. What a pile of shit.

One Pokemon I forgot to mention that I was disappointed is the Kommo-o line. Not because of its competitive viability, though there is a point here due to its flaws (such as Fighting STAB that's not up to snuff compared to other Fighting-types), but only because it's yet another Dragon-type pseudo-legendary. There should have been more non-Dragons to balance this out, since only 2 are non-Dragons compared to the 6 we have now. I will even take a Grass or Ice pseudo-legendary, as long as there's no Dragon in its type!

Thanks for reading.

From a purely competitive standpoint, Crabominable. Ice/Fighting is a pretty fantastic offensive typing, and I think it really would've made sense on a fast, hard-hitting hockey-themed Pokemon.

However, I'm sure you all know how horrific of a defensive typing Ice is. Naturally, Game Freak decided to make the Ice/Fighting type slow as shit, without even giving it decent bulk to make up for being that slow (like M-Abomasnow). And just to rub salt in the wound, the thing doesn't get Mach Punch or Ice Shard. What a pile of shit.
Everything in Alola is slow as shit. Don't ask me why because I'm still trying to figure it out myself.

Last edited:
It's just a f**** toucan
Yes we know you dont need to use that language.
Atleast it has an interesting move and moveset with Overheat.
Yes they could have made it flying/steel but who knows maybe next generation?

Everything in Alola is slow as shit. Don't as me why because I'm still trying to figure it out myself.

If theres is a third instalment game for this generation then they will add to the movesets: priority moves and speed boosting/negating moves and if gen IV gets a remake be ready for more pokes and megas with Dazzling and new things in store.

very Slow? Priority moves: Sucker Punch, First Impresion, if we get in future grass,ground, electric, dragon priority moves I would be happy.

Better dont over do attaking how slow this generation is becuse the creators have a wird sensse of humor and will make the next one slower if we will complain to much. For me its nearly perfect, but would make more sense if the alolans would learn more priority moves.

Last edited:
Design wise: The starters evolutions- They had so much potential to do so much cool stuff with them but instead they decided to do the same thing they did last gen and make a trio of overly humanoid weirdos consisting of freaky looking owls who for whatever reason become ghost at the last stage, another bipedal humanoid wrestler who's only variation for the others is its secondary type and a quadruped middle stage (thank goodness), and some ugly ass mermaids who barely resemble the initial stage..

Design and game wise: Togedemaru-After Dedenne, I was hoping for something sleek and lean, but Togedemaru is like an even rounder Dedenne. Also like Dedenne it gets great electric moves, but few usable moves of its secondary type. Only Gyro Ball is available as a steel-type move and only through TM. No egg moves whatsoever. Granted, it works pretty well paired up with Steelium-Z, but I would have preferred some more moves to make this Pokemon feel more like a steel-type. It's also kind of funny since it doesn't have a tail so it not getting Iron Tail is actually justified. If you ignore Primape and mons like Wooper and Ghastly who have no arms yet get punch moves, etc...

And the biggest one

Game wise: Oricorio- This Pokemon was one of my favorite new Alola Pokemon. I liked it so much that I wanted to use all of its forms in multiple run throughs of the game. Only to find out that it isn't 4 separate Pokemon that each get their own movepool with some similarities, but rather is one Pokemon that can change into 4 different forms that all learn the exact same moves. Also, its primary type doesn't mean jack s*it outside of its signature move since it can't learn a single move of its primary-type aside from Pa'u getting non damaging moves like Rest. Revelation Dance's type changes based on the Oricorio's form, but it it always regarded as a normal-type move in general. Add all that together and what does that mean? The damn bird can't even use the Z-Moves of its primary type (so I have no idea why they showed a trailer of a Pa'u Oricorio about to use a Z-Move and then showed off Shattered Psyche since it sure as hell can't use it). I was so disappointed by Oricorio that I can't even express it. Its lore is great, the designs are great, heck even the stats are decent, but the movepool is just bad.

Also, you can't even catch a Sensu-style Oricorio until beating the game despite the fact that you can get almost every other non-legendary new Alola Pokemon. With that, I will say that I am grateful that its forms can be changed. I initially thought that that made the island gimmick pointless, but it basically allowed me to complete my team. So yay.

Like the majority of this generation, I think it was built around double battles. Trick Room support combined with its signature Ice Hammer would actually make it a fairly fast Pokemon. There's also Speed Swap

Everything in Alola is slow as shit. Don't as me why because I'm still trying to figure it out myself.
Practically speaking, I think Game Freak was trying to reverse the prominence of priority so badly they overshot it and lowered speed as well. Story-wise? I think its a nod to the stereotypically slow lifestyle of Hawaii.

Last edited:
Yes we know you dont need to use that language.
Atleast it has an interesting move and moveset with Overheat.
Yes they could have made it flying/steel but who knows maybe next generation?
You know I made that post basically just to reference the "my mom's dog" meme, right?

Alolan Persian is kind of ugly. If not for the fact that it's a Dark-type, I would've passed him over.

Practically speaking, I think Game Freak was trying to reverse the prominence of priority so badly they overshot it and lowered speed as well. Story-wise? I think its a nod to the stereotypically slow lifestyle of Hawaii.
It may just be my bias, but I feel like hazards should have taken precedence over priority. Priority over priority, if you will.

It may just be my bias, but I feel like hazards should have taken precedence over priority. Priority over priority, if you will.

It's weird but they could make all hazards gain priority then they would solve two problems at once.
But then there would be overusage of psychic terrain.

Not so much in the Pokemon themselves, but the lack of new Pokemon. Especially in types that could use some new faces. If you don't count Alolan variants as new species of Pokemon altogether (an Alolan Raichu is still a Raichu), then Alola's new Pokedex is horribly skewed towards certain types such as Grass and Bug. For example, we only got one new Ice type, who isn't even that great and you can only get towards the very end of the game anyway.

Decidueye, which I feel suffers from being cripplingly overspecialized. It's preevolutions were very useful during the early game, but Decidueye will fall behind. It does get a large attack stat... and that's it. Its defense does seem to be closer to a Pokémon like Infernape or Greninja, but unlike those two, it's slow. Its Special Defense isn't too bad, but guess what type of move most Dark-type moves are? And those are virtually everywhere, especially on Pokémon that outspeed the thing. It ends up dying a lot by Vast Poni Canyon, and it doesn't really get any more useful from there.

Alolan Raichu, looks horrible and unfitting in the evolutionary line and makes regular raichu completely unavailable. Really wish that one didn't exist.

Though its still my favorite of the two, I wish that Midnight Lycanroc's stats were more suited to taking hits. Midday getting 112 in Speed makes it stand out so much more...

Now that I'm doing a replay of Sun, I take back (most of) what I said about Togedemaru. Z-power Gyro Ball is great despite its limited usage.

I'm disappointed in Decidueye greatly. I really would like to use this Pokemon in competitive play, but every time I have attempted using it, it always fell short.

It's design and Z move make it very appealing to the eye, but it's stats are all over the place. It doesn't know what it wants to be, and it's locked into this awkwardness with it's low speed stat.

I have even attempted using it in a Trick Room environment, but it can't be switched in easily, and a Shadow Sneak, or Ice Shard is all it usually takes to knock this Pokemon out. I can't make it a solid team member, (this is based on in game play).

Lastly there always seems to be a check for this Pokemon. I have found consistently that Decidueye falters quite easily from Ghost, Ice, Fire, and Dark types. There are too many Pokemon that outclass Decidueye's typing/stats, so it's stats and movepool need to reflect the issues it faces.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom