• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Mistyped Pokémon

SinnohEevee

Reaction score
Which Pokémon do you think are mistyped?

Out of my memory (and I am tired), I can think of:
* Psyduck and Golduck should have a Psychic type
* Midnight Lycanroc should have a Dark type.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

I still think Charizard should be a fire/dragon type,I know there's more but can't think of em right now

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

* Psyduck and Golduck should have a Psychic type
* Midnight Lycanroc should have a Dark type.
Oh, HECK yes! I always forgot that Psyduck and Golduck aren't Psychic type-they constantly talk about how they have Psychic power-and Midnight Lycanrock doesn't get any sig move like its Midday form, at least give it a nice type combination!

I'm honestly okay with Charizard not getting the Dragon type outside of Mega Evolution-it would have made it a lot stronger than the other starters at the time.

I do feel like Necrozma's type should have been changed, though-Having a pure-Psychic legendary just feels like bringing legendaries back to "Slap Psychic on them because it's a strong type and it's got special powers". It very easily could have been Rock/Psychic, and only Solrock and Lunatone got that typing.

And speaking of Legendaries that shouldn't have been Psychic-type-Solgaleo. It's Steel/Psychic with an ability that's basically Clear Body-Oh, whoops, looks like we got Metagross 2.0! Why not make it Steel/Fire? That's only been used on Heatran!

You know what really should have been changed, though? Incineroar-Let's make it a Fire/Fighting! *gets punched*

The Lycanroc being solely Rock type was disappointing. They both look like they could be dual typed. Midnight especially, such as Rock/Dark, Rock/Ghost, or some other creative typing like they did with Decidueye. It's really jarring too since Rockruff kept being promoted as sharing a secret with the Alolan Starters. They all ended up dual typed, so it would have been nice to see Rockruff end up that way too.

The thing with Charizard is that it makes just as much sense for it to be Fire/Flying as Fire/Dragon or Dragon/Flying. The same goes for Venomoth being Bug/Poison as opposed to Bug/Flying.

Personally I prefer pokémon not to have a secondary type slapped on them with the slightest justification - I'm quite ok with Pokémon A not being a Dark-type just because it's nocturnal or has black fur or a vaguely sinister appearance

Okay, but Dhelmise. I get that the kelp is the Pokemon, but introducing it at the same time as Decidueye isn't fair to either of them, especially with the key similarities in their signature moves. What about water/ghost with the same ability? Or ghost/steel with a different ability?

I do feel like Necrozma's type should have been changed, though-Having a pure-Psychic legendary just feels like bringing legendaries back to "Slap Psychic on them because it's a strong type and it's got special powers". It very easily could have been Rock/Psychic, and only Solrock and Lunatone got that typing.

And speaking of Legendaries that shouldn't have been Psychic-type-Solgaleo. It's Steel/Psychic with an ability that's basically Clear Body-Oh, whoops, looks like we got Metagross 2.0! Why not make it Steel/Fire? That's only been used on Heatran!

I assume that Solgaleo/Lunala are Psychic types because of the whole space theme they've got. Psychic has usually been the go-to classification for "cosmic" stuff.

Maybe they could have given Solgaleo an Ability like Dhelmise's Steelworker, but for Fire-type moves?

Maybe the Chansey family should be given a Fairy type.

Then again, they retyped both the Clefairy line and the Jigglypuff line - I think they probably wanted something to diversify Gen I's three Pink Blob Walls. Clefairy gets pure Fairy, Jigglypuff gets Normal/Fairy, and Chansey stays Normal.

Dhelmise not having water type but you gotta fish for it...I couldn't believe it wasn't water type when I got it

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Obviously they don't want to meddle with Legendaries too much, but I still think they should have retconned Celebi to be Grass/fairy. Though Psychic does work, Fairy just fits better (and would help to reinforce the idea of Fairy types as not just being good, something I might add they did very well with the Tapus)

Psychic would also be a nice addition to Golduck, though maybe because they already had Slowpoke/bro as well they didn't want to add it at the time?

Aside from that I think most Pokemon have fairly sensible typings. I agree with the Rockruff line though, it just feels like there's something missing...

Hmm, now I think about it, though Cofagrigus is fine as it is, an additional Steel/Rock type would have been nice (considering a sarcophagus is often made from stone, but cofagrigus is als said to be covered in gold, so either works. Rock might be more interesting though)

-Litleo/Pyroar: Pure fire
-Stufful/Bewear: Fairy/fighting.
-Oranguru: Psychic.
-Dewpider/Araquanid: Dark/Water (more of a wish than a mistake, I just wanna see non-bug spiders)

I assume that Solgaleo/Lunala are Psychic types because of the whole space theme they've got. Psychic has usually been the go-to classification for "cosmic" stuff.

Maybe they could have given Solgaleo an Ability like Dhelmise's Steelworker, but for Fire-type moves?

Ooh, that would have been fantastic! (I think it would have been nice on Lunala, too-Make it a Psychic/Flying with the ability for Ghost moves-but that's more because I don't like the 4x Ghost weakness. :p)

-Litleo/Pyroar: Pure fire
-Stufful/Bewear: Fairy/fighting.
-Oranguru: Psychic.
I think adding Normal into the typing of Pokemon can actually be pretty useful at times-Oranguru gets an immunity to one of its weaknesses, and Pyroar and Litleo get STAB Hyper Voice and Hyper Beam. But Stufful and Bewear do feel more like Fairy-types than Normal.

I feel that single-types are hardly being loved, because when it comes to type speculation, dual types are heavily favoured. Back when we were guessing Haxorus' type, hardly anybody suggested that it would be a pure Dragon-type. Same goes with Gigalith, where it winded up as pure Rock, contrary to what most people guessed. I think the problem lies in that the games favour dual types more, since they have double STAB, have more resistances to choose from, and some of the weaknesses are neutralised from their secondary types. These advantages outweigh the possible double weaknesses and neutralised key resistances they have.

Now, there are some I think could have dual-type, namely Psyduck and Golduck as mentioned earlier. I thought Misdreavus/Mismagius should have been part-Fairy mainly because it fits their concepts well.

Thanks for reading.

I think adding Normal into the typing of Pokemon can actually be pretty useful at times-Oranguru gets an immunity to one of its weaknesses, and Pyroar and Litleo get STAB Hyper Voice and Hyper Beam. But Stufful and Bewear do feel more like Fairy-types than Normal.
Plus, although Normal is one of the most... well you could say eclectic but I'll say diverse types, I think there is a sort of common element that the Pokémon mentioned have. Yeah Bewear is pink but a big fluffy mammal could just as well be normal. Pyroar is, again, a fluffy mammal with overall muted colors for a Fire type. Oranguru isn't nearly as mystical or otherworldly as many psychic types, and when you take into account it's primarily white color scheme I can totally see Normal fitting. I don't see Normal as an absence of a type, but it's own typing with particular attributes attached to it just like nay other type. I think they went far too long not making dual type Normal Pokémon so I welcome these.

Ninetales could have been Fire/Ghost, referencing its own lore and the mythological creature its based on.

Midnight Lycanroc rock/ghost or fairy secondary typing

Midday Lycanroc, if the one above woul have been ghost then this one could have beein part fairy if the one above would have been fairy this one could have been a steel or ghost.

Wishiwashi water/normal and School form water/dragon or ghost

Toucanon flying/steel

Lycanroc Midnight could definitely have been Rock/Dark. They should have given it Sucker Punch as its exclusive move over the Midday form (meaning I would remove Sucker from the Midday form since both currently get it). STAB Sucker Punch would have at least been more helpful for its lower Speed, unlike Counter which doesn't really do anything for it.

Tsareena could have been Grass/Fighting imo. Defends the weak Bounsweet and focuses on kicking as its fighting style. Feels fitting enough.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom