• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Stars Discussion Thread (Speculation)

Do you think that Stars is real or Fake

• Real

Votes: 61 59.8%
  • Fake

Votes: 41 40.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Laura just said new monsters, which could simply mean forms. She doesn't seem to know much about it.

Honestly, though? I don't see new Pokemon as a bigger deal than new regional variants, especially when the latter may be limited to this generation.

Laura just said new monsters, which could simply mean forms. She doesn't seem to know much about it.

Honestly, though? I don't see new Pokemon as a bigger deal than new regional variants, especially when the latter may be limited to this generation.

I think its a matter of implication. A Generation is defined by its pokemon and the gap between the introduction of new pokemon and a new region. If a game came out and it had brand new exclusive pokemon but was set in the same region, then would it be considered part of the current generation?

Another factor is people wanting to be able to use all their pokemon in all the games in a set generation, or get the pokemon without needing to buy the new games. In which case the adding of new pokemon combined with a precedent (Or/As' Megas not be useable in X/Y) would make fans think that it would be an impossibility were new pokemon be released "prematurely"

Or it could just be simple shock.

If a game came out and it had brand new exclusive pokemon but was set in the same region, then would it be considered part of the current generation?
Fans would call it "Generation 7.5". Officially, the term "new generation" wouldn't be used.

Another factor is people wanting to be able to use all their pokemon in all the games in a set generation, or get the pokemon without needing to buy the new games. In which case the adding of new pokemon combined with a precedent (Or/As' Megas not be useable in X/Y) would make fans think that it would be an impossibility were new pokemon be released "prematurely"
I take issue with Sun and Moon being rendered obsolete myself, and I don't see myself buying a third version no matter what. But I don't see exclusive Pokemon as a bigger deal than regional variants just because the latter don't have new names. It really boils down to the designs.

I find it weird that switch isn't backwards compatible with the 3ds, especially if it's getting a Pokemon game.

That's been a big selling point for Nintendo this gen.

Would anyone who isn't planning to be an early switch buyer be swayed to get one for 20 new pokemon in a stars game?

Or would you need more than that to make you buy a switch?

I find it weird that switch isn't backwards compatible with the 3ds, especially if it's getting a Pokemon game.

That's been a big selling point for Nintendo this gen.

Would anyone who isn't planning to be an early switch buyer be swayed to get one for 20 new pokemon in a stars game?

Or would you need more than that to make you buy a switch?

How is it weird?

3DS games are created on a console that uses two screens to play. The Nintendo Switch only uses one screen (at a time), and was therefore expected that Nintendo Switch wouldn't be backwards compatible with Nintendo 3DS.

How is it weird?

3DS games are created on a console that uses two screens to play. The Nintendo Switch only uses one screen (at a time), and was therefore expected that Nintendo Switch wouldn't be backwards compatible with Nintendo 3DS.
It's weird because Nintendo has stated the importance of backwards compatibility in the past.

Yes 3ds has 2 screens but that isn't a deal breaker,the Wii u was 2 screens as well and could be played on a single.

Most 3ds games don't really utize the 2nd screen anyway,If we had sun and Moon on switch what would we lose? Rotoms face from the bottom screen?

Saying nobody expected backwards compatibility is wrong everyone did, especially when we saw them put a 3ds shaped cartridge in the switch on its debut video.

It was rumored as fact up until Nintendo officially denied it.

But the question remains if you weren't planning on buying a switch would you just to get 20 new pokemon?

It's weird because Nintendo has stated the importance of backwards compatibility in the past.

Yes 3ds has 2 screens but that isn't a deal breaker,the Wii u was 2 screens as well and could be played on a single.

Most 3ds games don't really utize the 2nd screen anyway,If we had sun and Moon on switch what would we lose? Rotoms face from the bottom screen?

Saying nobody expected backwards compatibility is wrong everyone did, especially when we saw them put a 3ds shaped cartridge in the switch on its debut video.

It was rumored as fact up until Nintendo officially denied it.

But the question remains if you weren't planning on buying a switch would you just to get 20 new pokemon?

It was expected as soon as we saw that the Nintendo Switch only uses one screen. Most 3ds games do utilise both screens most of the time. Pretty much every 3DS game I personally own uses both screens, even for something as simple as using a map, or having the bottom screen as a menu or something, it would have been very difficult to create a console with one playable screen to be compatible with games that use 2 screens.

I was planning on purchasing the console as soon as it was announced anyway, so I can't really answer your last question. However, it is likely Nintendo Switch will be continuing with gen VIII as well, so nobody would be purchasing the Switch just for a few new Pokémon, they would also be getting new generations.

Last edited:
Gosh I've been looking at a ton of fanart, and I really hope this is a sequel, and not just a third version. I would love to see a sequel about 10 or so years later where Lillie has become some sort of Professor (maybe not the main Professor of the region, just a professor). Hau has become Kahuna of Melemele Island. Gladion is Aether's president, and the PC from Sun/Moon (dependent on the gender of the PC in Stars) still holding the role as champion. It would be so cool to see these characters brought back this way. I know they did similar with BW2, with Cheren being a gym leader, and Bianca being an assistant to Professor Juniper, but it would be so cool to see it be done again.
Maybe leave Team Skull fully disbanded (though you can occasionally meet NPCs who were former grunts and stuff) and Aether is fully restored as a good group that helps Pokemon. Instead, I would love to see what I wanted to see for Sun and Moon (before Team Skull was announced), a two team thing, and they would both be in one game, so we could see that rivalry we saw between Magma and Aqua in Emerald.
I heard there was rumors there would be more Pokemon, which I am all for it. Yeah I wish they had them in the game originally, but better late than never. As much as I want new Pokemon, I hope a good portion of those are Alolan forms. For a game that introduced new forms of Gen 1 Pokemon to appeal to those older fans (and 20th anniversary whatever), it just felt like the amount of Pokemon that got new forms was lacking. Like there were so many Kanto Pokemon in the dex, that didn't get a new form.

I'm not going to go about arguing whether it's on the Switch or not, and while it would be amazing that it's on the Switch, I hope it's not Switch exclusive. I only have a tutoring job right now, as I'm a full time student. I don't have money for a Switch. (though if it is exclusive, I might just have to get it the switch. I don't think I'm going to be buying it day one... well time to start buying lottery tickets.)

I forget; have the rumors established this as a 3rd version for Sun and Moon?

If they do have a third version released eventually, I really hope they choose something better than naming it "stars"

@ShinyGreninja True, we know "Star" is a codenamed, they'll pick a different name for it, But for what I'm hoping, is "Star" to be like Platinum and HGSS put together

You know what, Eurogamer and Laura Dale never got a single thing right. They got all of their information from patents released by Nintendo. This is just a rumor. It can be fake.

Well the big switch presentation is just a few days off,if stars is a switch title I can't imagine they won't tell us then to get as much hype as possible for switch

You know what, Eurogamer and Laura Dale never got a single thing right. They got all of their information from patents released by Nintendo. This is just a rumor. It can be fake.
They had the information before those patents came to light though.

Back
Top Bottom