• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review SM010: Will the Z-Move Work! Challenge the Grand Trial!!

He's won ladies and gentleman, we all thought he would have lost the first time around but the writer for today's episode secretly pulled a rabbit out of a hat and let him win. Really surprising if you ask me, so now that Ash's won, what now?

Oh yes, this was another great episode by the way. The animation is just marvelous and Ash's Rowlett was so damn funny.

Even though Ash's classmates' voices are not listed in the cast, they made non-speaking cameos at the end of the episode where they are celebrating Ash's victory. What didn't no one notice it? Anyway, Rowlett actually was funny, I have to agree. Is Tapu-Koko going to be a recurring cast for this series? I guess so, but yeah.

Even though Ash's classmates' voices are not listed in the cast, they made non-speaking cameos at the end of the episode where they are celebrating Ash's victory. What didn't no one notice it?
Why should the voice actors be credited/paid for their characters getting non-speaking roles?

I'm glad that the classmates have better things to do than watch Ash's battles.

Yeahhh! Clean sweep!
Rowlet was pretty amusing. This episode - having fallen asleep while flying.
That Breakneck Blitz was powerful - managing to send Hariyama flying :eek:
Glad he won.

What a good episode
And that new vs screen OMG
the battle duh, can't tell how amazing it is
and wut? Clean sheet dude wth
when is the last time all of ash pokemon last till the end

I admit I had to check twice with the Z-crystals: when Koko swapped Fight for Electric I briefly though Ash got two of them.

Wonder if he'll ever get that Fighting Z crystal back....

I admit I had to check twice with the Z-crystals: when Koko swapped Fight for Electric I briefly though Ash got two of them.

Wonder if he'll ever get that Fighting Z crystal back....

He'll probably only get it if he gets a Pokémon that knows a Fighting-type move or if any of his current Pokémon learn a Fighting-type move. Right now, it would have been useless to him, so Tapu Koko replaced it with a Z-crystal that would have been of immediate use to him on his journey. I definitely get the feeling we'll be seeing a lot more of Tapu Koko in the series.

So...two island trials two episodes in a row...and I was disappointed by both:/

I did like the beginning bit where they continued from the last episode and showed Officer Jenny with the Gumshoos as her new partner.

Minor thing, but I was disappointed that they showed Hala's Crabrawler in a PokeBall rather than an Ultra Ball like in the games. Anyway, the first battle was decent I guess. I never expected Rowlet to beat the crab anyway. I was surprised by Ash doing a tactic like continuing to attack the crab while it was on the ground. But, I've officially had it with Rowlet. It beats the crab with few issues...and then the thing just falls asleep. What the actual hell? This is literally the worst Pokemon Ash has ever captured.

Now, for Hariyama. Again, the battle was fine. All-Out Pummeling looked amazing. I just wish we could have seen the entire attack where Hariyama charges at the opponent. And again, I really like that they shaped the punches to match Hariyama's hands. I didn't really like how Ash wasn't taught the pose for Breakneck Blitz before using it. And how did he know the name? Did someone mention it and I just missed it? IDK, but I can accept this since there are few Z-Crystals you get in the games, but don't learn the poses from anyone. But that aside, Breakneck Blitz looked amazing. I loved how it was actually strong enough to blast Hariyama into the air.

Incoming Rant: Now for my huge disappointment. Why the heck couldn't Ash just receive the Fightininum-Z like he was supposed to? What reason was there to give Ash another free Electrium-Z before taking on the electric trial? What, was it because he doesn't have a Pokemon with a fighting-type move right now? Am I supposed to assume that Ash won't be catching a Pokemon with a fighting-type move at all since he didn't get the Fightinium-Z here? What Z-Crystal is he going to get at Hokulani Observatory, now? Nothing? If Ash doesn't get a Pokemon with a water-type move by Brooklet Hill is he just going to get a Grassium-Z instead of Waterium-Z because he has Rowlet? I'm sorry, but Ash getting free Z-Crystals from a legendary Pokemon 'just because' does not sit well with me. Ash should have had to wait until the electric-type trial before getting the Electrium-Z just like everyone who played the games in my honest opinion. I just hope (if this Electrium-Z doesn't disintegrate again), that Ash doesn't make Gigavolt Havoc Pikachu go to Z-Move and still has him use Breakneck Blitz on occasion.

Sorry for the rant, but as someone who loved the trials in the Sun/Moon, I was disappointed by the changes they made here. I guess I shouldn't have expected them to perfectly mimic them from the games, but still I was hoping they'd at least keep the main mechanics and give out the proper Z-Crystals. Oh well, decent episode overall I guess. 7.8/10.

Nice episode, but I'm disappointed that Hariyama stopped fighting after using all-out pummeling. It literally did nothing after that.

Kukui is the new Takeshi!
Mokuroh is the new Lizardon!
Hala is overrated, Satoshi just swept him aside.
Rotomdex is an emoji-monster.
Satoshi-tachi gets non-speaking roles.
Kapu-sama is still stalking like an obsessive boyfriend. He even choose the Z-crystal.

Did they said anything about the future trials?

Rowlet is funny for falling asleep while flying. XD Since Tapu Koko is stalking Ash so much, I'm sure that we'll be seeing him a lot and might get captured at least once if Team Rocket finds out about this somehow.

Nice episode, but I'm disappointed that Hariyama stopped fighting after using all-out pummeling. It literally did nothing after that.

My theory is that, based on Pikachu's state after Z-moving, that the attack takes a toll on the Pokemon's energy.

So...two island trials two episodes in a row...and I was disappointed by both:/

I did like the beginning bit where they continued from the last episode and showed Officer Jenny with the Gumshoos as her new partner.

Minor thing, but I was disappointed that they showed Hala's Crabrawler in a PokeBall rather than an Ultra Ball like in the games. Anyway, the first battle was decent I guess. I never expected Rowlet to beat the crab anyway. I was surprised by Ash doing a tactic like continuing to attack the crab while it was on the ground. But, I've officially had it with Rowlet. It beats the crab with few issues...and then the thing just falls asleep. What the actual hell? This is literally the worst Pokemon Ash has ever captured.

Now, for Hariyama. Again, the battle was fine. All-Out Pummeling looked amazing. I just wish we could have seen the entire attack where Hariyama charges at the opponent. And again, I really like that they shaped the punches to match Hariyama's hands. I didn't really like how Ash wasn't taught the pose for Breakneck Blitz before using it. And how did he know the name? Did someone mention it and I just missed it? IDK, but I can accept this since there are few Z-Crystals you get in the games, but don't learn the poses from anyone. But that aside, Breakneck Blitz looked amazing. I loved how it was actually strong enough to blast Hariyama into the air.

Incoming Rant: Now for my huge disappointment. Why the heck couldn't Ash just receive the Fightininum-Z like he was supposed to? What reason was there to give Ash another free Electrium-Z before taking on the electric trial? What, was it because he doesn't have a Pokemon with a fighting-type move right now? Am I supposed to assume that Ash won't be catching a Pokemon with a fighting-type move at all since he didn't get the Fightinium-Z here? What Z-Crystal is he going to get at Hokulani Observatory, now? Nothing? If Ash doesn't get a Pokemon with a water-type move by Brooklet Hill is he just going to get a Grassium-Z instead of Waterium-Z because he has Rowlet? I'm sorry, but Ash getting free Z-Crystals from a legendary Pokemon 'just because' does not sit well with me. Ash should have had to wait until the electric-type trial before getting the Electrium-Z just like everyone who played the games in my honest opinion. I just hope (if this Electrium-Z doesn't disintegrate again), that Ash doesn't make Gigavolt Havoc Pikachu go to Z-Move and still has him use Breakneck Blitz on occasion.

Sorry for the rant, but as someone who loved the trials in the Sun/Moon, I was disappointed by the changes they made here. I guess I shouldn't have expected them to perfectly mimic them from the games, but still I was hoping they'd at least keep the main mechanics and give out the proper Z-Crystals. Oh well, decent episode overall I guess. 7.8/10.

I Can see a bit of your point, but let's wait and see how things go from here

Well, that battle was not particularly impressive. Both the animation and the writing was mediocre. The fact that, for Z moves, more time is wasted on animating pointless posing instead of the actual attack is really damn annoying. Talk about slowing things down and killing off the excitement of the battle. Just launch the goddamn attack already. It took a good 30 sec from the start of the Z move posing until the actual attack was launched, for both of them.

I honestly thought all the gym battles in XY were better than this fight.

Well, that battle was not particularly impressive. Both the animation and the writing was mediocre. The fact that, for Z moves, more time is wasted on animating pointless posing instead of the actual attack is really damn annoying. Talk about slowing things down and killing off the excitement of the battle. Just launch the goddamn attack already. It took a good 30 sec from the start of the Z move posing until the actual attack was launched, for both of them.

I honestly thought all the gym battles in XY were better than this fight.

That's why I can't wait for the Eevee Z-Move to make it's debut :LOL:

I didn't really like how Ash wasn't taught the pose for Breakneck Blitz before using it. And how did he know the name? Did someone mention it and I just missed it? IDK, but I can accept this since there are few Z-Crystals you get in the games, but don't learn the poses from anyone.

Kukui was going to teach him, just before the fight, but Ash said he had researched the move beforehand and already knew how to do it. It's lazy writing, but nonetheless there was an explanation for this.

I 100% agree with you here. Ash is already kind of a Mary Sue, but it doesn't bode well for the series that Tapu Koko is literally handing out gifts to him for no real explanation so far besides taking a liking to him. It was bad enough when Gumshoos just straight up handed him Normalium Z with Hala being so surprised about it. Now he gets Electrium Z much earlier than he should because Tapu Koko likes being hit by Gigavolt Havoc or something.

It's just really lazy writing. Illima was scrapped altogether for some reason even though he would have a) given Ash Normalium Z and b) demonstrated and taught him how to use it. And apparently they didn't have the foresight to give Ash a Pokemon with a fighting type move before this episode (Pikipek with Rock Smash - problem solved), nor do they seem to be planning giving him one.

Hell, the whole reason Electrium Z broke in the first place was because Ash apparently didn't know how to use it properly. But here he is pulling off Z-Moves with no actual on-screen practice. So what was even the point of Electrium Z breaking?

I'm liking plenty of this series so far but the way Ash's quest is currently being handled has been questionable.

As for the fight itself, it was kind of average. It was nice that Ash remembered to attack Hariyama's legs, yet Hariyama fell quickly for a Pokemon that's meant to be durable. Pikachu tanked a blow from All Out Pummeling but Hariyama couldn't do the same for Breakneck Blitz. I don't know, it was just a weird battle to me. It was way too easy for Ash.

I thought for sure Ash would lose here, go do some training, maybe catch Litten then come back and win the second time round, wrapping up Melemele Island in the process. Now that he's won though I've no idea what's next for him.

Kukui was going to teach him, just before the fight, but Ash said he had researched the move beforehand and already knew how to do it. It's lazy writing, but nonetheless there was an explanation for this.

I 100% agree with you here. Ash is already kind of a Mary Sue, but it doesn't bode well for the series that Tapu Koko is literally handing out gifts to him for no real explanation so far besides taking a liking to him. It was bad enough when Gumshoos just straight up handed him Normalium Z with Hala being so surprised about it. Now he gets Electrium Z much earlier than he should because Tapu Koko likes being hit by Gigavolt Havoc or something.

It's just really lazy writing. Illima was scrapped altogether for some reason even though he would have a) given Ash Normalium Z and b) demonstrated and taught him how to use it. And apparently they didn't have the foresight to give Ash a Pokemon with a fighting type move before this episode (Pikipek with Rock Smash - problem solved), nor do they seem to be planning giving him one.

Hell, the whole reason Electrium Z broke in the first place was because Ash apparently didn't know how to use it properly. But here he is pulling off Z-Moves with no actual on-screen practice. So what was even the point of Electrium Z breaking?

I'm liking plenty of this series so far but the way Ash's quest is currently being handled has been questionable.

As for the fight itself, it was kind of average. It was nice that Ash remembered to attack Hariyama's legs, yet Hariyama fell quickly for a Pokemon that's meant to be durable. Pikachu tanked a blow from All Out Pummeling but Hariyama couldn't do the same for Breakneck Blitz. I don't know, it was just a weird battle to me. It was way too easy for Ash.

I thought for sure Ash would lose here, go do some training, maybe catch Litten then come back and win the second time round, wrapping up Melemele Island in the process. Now that he's won though I've no idea what's next for him.

I believe the point of Electrium Z breaking was because it was so powerfully pulled off that it shattered. And I think the reason Tapu-Koko is giving the Z-Crystal is because it is choosing Ash for something that is yet to be explained.

Ash is already kind of a Mary Sue, but it doesn't bode well for the series that Tapu Koko is literally handing out gifts to him for no real explanation so far besides taking a liking to him.

Anti Sue is more likely. Yes, Ash has befriended more Legends than any of us could dream of, and stop countless villain plots that should've earned him countless medals, but he still cannot win a league because either the writers create another Gary Stu (Tobias) or temporary turn a Pokémon into one (Alan's Charizard). TV Tropes has more details on the types of Sues out there.

The fact that it looks like Ash is the center of this universe puzzles me, too. But I'll save that for another forum. It is quite a cop-out for him to be given a different Z-Ring probably to give Pikachu more character shilling (almost as bad as with Best Wishes) and because he doesn't have a Fighting-type Pokémon onhand. Are we going to assume that Tapu Koko will continue to replace canon Z-Crystals with different ones that will only benefit Pikachu?

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom