• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview SM020: Satoshi and Pikachu, the Promise between Them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ho-Oh wouldn't be described as floating.
Apparently it's a mistranslation.
Dephender said:
SM20: The Promise Between Satoshi and Pikachu

Satoshi hears about a small island known under the name "Treasure Island". He heads to the island to explore it, and the time he and Pikachu spend there alone strengthens his bond with it. And then, when evening falls, they see a mysterious light floating in the sky.
Satoshi has gone shopping with his classmates when he hears talk about a small island located nearby that's known under the name "Treasure Island". Satoshi immediately set off for Treasure Island, and as he spent some alone time with Pikachu there, he once again strengthened his feelings towards it. And as it was getting dark, a mysterious, shining Pokémon appeared in the sky, and......?
Screenplay 松井亜弥 (Aya Matsui)
Storyboard 尼野浩正 (Hiromasa Amano)
Episode Director 仲野良 (Ryo Nakano)
Animation Director 安田周平 (Shuhei Yasuda)
Animation Director 村田理 (Osamu Murata)
April 6th: SM20&21 1 Hour Special

Last edited:
I'm not sure why we need two specials dedicated to Ash and Pikachu, but oh well.

Let's hope flashbacks appear!

I'm not sure why we need two specials dedicated to Ash and Pikachu, but oh well.

Let's hope flashbacks appear!
This isn't a special episode and there's only one of them. The movie isn't really a special either.

I don't know how they can do flashbacks with the horrible animation, it would absolutely ruin any nostalgic benefit having flashbacks in SM style. Or they say screw it and draw the flashbacks normally like they are for M20.

It could always not be an anniversary thing and just be a random ash/pikachu episode that JUST SO HAPPENS to be on this date....

but that's no fun to think about!

is this basically gonna be the BW charizard episode but about the whole franchise? that'd be neat, but kinda hard to fit 900+ episodes into 20 minutes

It could always not be an anniversary thing and just be a random ash/pikachu episode that JUST SO HAPPENS to be on this date....

but that's no fun to think about!

is this basically gonna be the BW charizard episode but about the whole franchise? that'd be neat, but kinda hard to fit 900+ episodes into 20 minutes
Well if it is like BW116, then they could just show flashbacks of the Ash and Pikachu centred episodes.

I just hope this episode has Ash & Pikachu remember their live's purpose and get them back on track with the Island Challenge. I'm starting to miss the world building and plot advancement, especially after that Rotom-centric episode.

How many such episodes have there even been? I can't think of anything past the AG amnesia episode.

A montage of Pikachu's victories would be hollow.

There was also that rehash of EP014 in DP with the tension about evolving Pikachu or w/e it was about

They also wouldn't have to only have clips from episodes that were about Ash/Pikachu specifically, bc the Charizard flashback had scenes from episodes that weren't about Charizard (the Paras and Exeggutor episodes for instance). They could have Pikachu being powered down in BW001, Ash saving Pikachu from falling off Lumiose Tower in XY002, etc etc

Also if this is a flashback-heavy episode I hope they actually use older music instead of the same current stuff we always hear/will continue to hear for the next 2.5 years. That was one of the problems I had with the Charizard episode, they only used the same boring BW music instead of older Kanto/Johto stuff that would've fit much better.

How many such episodes have there even been? I can't think of anything past the AG amnesia episode.

A montage of Pikachu's victories would be hollow.
Well lets see.

There's EP001, Ep002, EP014, EP039, EP086, EP104, EP274, AG001, AG040, AG089, AG131, AG190, AG192, DP001, DP002, DP024, DP074, DP140, DP189, DP191, BW001, BW002, BW020, BW042, BW050, BW064, BW084, BW108, BW121, BW142, XY004, X006, XY044, XY078, XY079, XY098, XY115 and SM013. They don't have to focus on their bonding, Pikachu just has to have a prominent role in the episode, like being the main star of a battle.

I dunno guys, I have a feeling they could just about cobble together a substantial flashback (if they have to) with Satoshi/Pikachu clips from the last 20 years worth of episodes.

Some extra explanation from Adamant:
Dephender said:
So hey, just to clear up something that seems to have confused people a bit:

The two summaries for SM20 describe what Satoshi saw as "a mysterious light floating in the sky" and "a mysterious, shining Pokémon (that) appeared in the sky" respectively.
Now, what seems to have happened was that the person that initially posted these summaries online combined the text from both into one single summary, which led to what Satoshi saw being described as "a shining Pokémon floating in the sky". Normally this probably wouldn't be that big a deal, but... if a bird was shining, and you saw it in the sky and didn't see that it was a bird yet, ou could certainly describe that as "a light floating in the sky" even though birds don't float.

So don't write off Pokemon that fly as opposed to float. The summary doesn't describe the Pokémon as floating.
April 6th: SM20&21 1 Hour Special - Page 9

Well lets see.

There's EP001, Ep002, EP014, EP039, EP086, EP104, EP274, AG001, AG040, AG089, AG131, AG190, AG192, DP001, DP002, DP024, DP074, DP140, DP189, DP191, BW001, BW002, BW020, BW042, BW050, BW064, BW084, BW108, BW121, BW142, XY004, X006, XY044, XY078, XY079, XY098, XY115 and SM013. They don't have to focus on their bonding, Pikachu just has to have a prominent role in the episode, like being the main star of a battle.

I have a feeling those scenes from previous episodes in this episode will be reanimated to fit the SM style. BW116 episode did have some scenes reanimated, so why not this one?

I have a feeling those scenes from previous episodes in this episode will be reanimated to fit the SM style. BW116 episode did have some scenes reanimated, so why not this one?
That would be pretty horrible.

I'd like for this episode to just surprise us and go back to normal designs and ditch this mess. Ash and TR (even Pikachu's eyes) look like they got rammed by a train.

They have no reason to go back to the old style, no other flashbacks to older series have ever used a different style, except for the one flashback in EP261 that used cel animation instead of the digital coloring, but that's hardly the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom