• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

Yepp, I just now got plowed out of the driveway, roughly 20 hours after the snow in my area of NY stopped. Heard the roads are still dangerous, though, so I'm not going anywhere, and I'm not sure I'll be able to go anywhere tomorrow, either, if the snow doesn't stop blowing everywhere. :/

The importance of the Oxford comma can clearly be summed up with:

"I invited the strippers, JFK and Stalin to the party."
"I invited the strippers, JFK, and Stalin to the party."

Or with...

"I'm about to cook Grandma."
"I'm about to cook, Grandma."

An Oxford comma is only when you have a list of three or more things and you put a comma after the penultimate item and before the 'and' or 'or'. Though the comma you used is equally as important.

And the sad thing is, I did excellently in English classes, so I should have remembered that...

The funny thing is, I've always used that comma without even knowing it had a name. Like, all these years I've written or typed...

I'm reliably informed that English teaching isn't what it was when I was a callow teen. I seem to recall that - well, actually I went to a bad primary school and owe my early literacy mostly to my parents, come to think of it - English teaching was more concerned with the analysis of text rather than learning stacks of "rules" and technical language. I'm told it's rather the opposite now, which frankly puts me off the idea of teaching English in schools

Back
Top Bottom