• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Mafia Artemis Fowl Mafia ~ Endgame - (Time Ends) ~ MAFIA AND SURVIVOR WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.
A questions myself:
Shouldn't roleblock stop the sacrificer?

The sacrificer role couldn't be stopped. It was like a Strongman protection role.

And this is the moment no one is waiting for: BALANCE!

Disclaimer: The below post has no NaCl added.

1x Bulletproof Cop
1x Bulletproof Reloader
Developer With Multiple Personalities
1x Spy 1x Tracker
1x Restricted Gladiator
1x Motivator
1x Sensor
Bodyguard
JOAT (1x Vote Thief 1x Roleblocker 1x Weak Hider)

1x Self-Redirector 1x Commuter Survivor

Godfather 1x Bus Driver 1x Hirer
JOAT (1x Strongman 1x Framer 1x Janitor 1x Rolecop)
Explosive Usurper 1x Rolecop Roleblocker

The first three roles are just OP. 1x Bulletproof + Cop combined makes it hard to dispose of them. We got lucky in rolecopping it and managing to immediately mislynch it, but that doesn't make it any less OP. 1x Bulletproof + Reloader. CRAZY. Reloader alone could reload all the nasty abilities the rest of the town had; especially the Developer ones, since Developer could easily claim and get trusted and then would keep getting fed reloads. Developer could steal votes, block mafia chat (nasty), make himself unlynchable and at the end of it all he got a 1x Bulletproof too! He would keep getting abilities the more it was left alive and they could get reloaded. CRAZY.
1x Spy could be a pain to deal with because Spy is always a pain. 1x Restricted Gladiator was also weird, easily confirmable and could force a lynch on whoever they wished. 1x Motivator isn't OP but could lead to crazy combos with Reloader; I legit suspected Caps double Vote Thieving us. 1x Sensor can also be trouble from time to time. There was another JOAT with 1x Vote Thief (in this game town Vote Thief is actually powerful) and 1x Weak Hider. The fact that there was little protection doesn't mean much.

Even the indep gets abilities they didn't really need, kinda OP in a sense. Plus the Kingmaker value making them a central threat in the end.

What did mafia get in return? Godfather/1x Framer are only useful for the 1x Bulletproof Cop; the moment that's out they become useless. Usurper is straight anti-scum (pro-town) on top of everything else. Mafia only has 2 rolecop shots which might be OK as they're reloadable I guess... but it was very easy for one towny (paticularly Developer) to get confirmed and asked to be the reloaded one forever, so mafia really couldn't get too much help from reloader. Gotta admit strongman was useful and Janitor wasn't bad. Bus Driver is pure luck and Hirer could be cool in giving you a hint of what town has... but it still felt like mafia had little ways to combat that huge arsenal town had. Giving the game's two best roles, Cop and Reloader, a 1x Bulletproof EACH is what really broke it imho.

1. Let's imagine the setup without any bulletproof. Town has no protection other than weak hider, which can end in two deaths for a night. I personally don't think Reloader is that powerful, and I made sure it could also benefit scum. That's the only reason your role had it to begin with. So, I decided that if the cop died early, town didn't have too much power. And I decided to give it bulletproof. I knew that would've been too OP however, so I limited it to three nights. Would two have made it more balanced? And since Holly and Trouble are the same, I decided to give them both the same bulletproof status so town had some protection. After Night 3, however, they're unprotected without a doctor.
2. Developer starts off weak, and it's a role that relies on RNG luck due to the MUP modifier, which makes it swingy. Caps had pretty good luck, able to use Crazy Romantic and Sacrificer later in the game. If luck was truly bad, Caps might not have been able to use a role at all. And it's only because he survived that long that he was able to become so powerful. If he was killed early on, town would look to be quite underpowered. This is all following my belief that Reloader wasn't that powerful though. I based the entire setup around it.
3. I'll admit, Usurper is a pretty anti-scum role, but I loved the look of it so much and it fit the character perfectly. That being said, your explosive modifier was pretty OP as well. If you had to eventually die, that's a lot of power from the town gone for the next night.
4. Just to go back to the bulletproof thing, there aren't too many games where cops die in the first 2 or so nights. I just felt that early on, cop was the only good role town had, and if they died early, it would've made them UP until developer caught up. If developer was killed early, that would've prevented any reloading.

Thanks for the comments Zexy. They are really appreciated for my improvement :) It's also the first game I've balanced on my own, so I'll get there eventually.

Remember that we are talking survivor here, a very simple and often claimed indep role. It might be used to hide a powerful role. In this case, mafia checked me early on which made me no target for them. It was only the trust of Town that became the problem. Luckily for me, there was almost always another suspect who got priority, because of my claim. Near the end, -YLO announcements confirmed it.

1. Let's imagine the setup without any bulletproof. Town has no protection other than weak hider, which can end in two deaths for a night. I personally don't think Reloader is that powerful, and I made sure it could also benefit scum. That's the only reason your role had it to begin with. So, I decided that if the cop died early, town didn't have too much power. And I decided to give it bulletproof. I knew that would've been too OP however, so I limited it to three nights. Would two have made it more balanced? And since Holly and Trouble are the same, I decided to give them both the same bulletproof status so town had some protection. After Night 3, however, they're unprotected without a doctor.
2. Developer starts off weak, and it's a role that relies on RNG luck due to the MUP modifier, which makes it swingy. Caps had pretty good luck, able to use Crazy Romantic and Sacrificer later in the game. If luck was truly bad, Caps might not have been able to use a role at all. And it's only because he survived that long that he was able to become so powerful. If he was killed early on, town would look to be quite underpowered. This is all following my belief that Reloader wasn't that powerful though. I based the entire setup around it.
3. I'll admit, Usurper is a pretty anti-scum role, but I loved the look of it so much and it fit the character perfectly. That being said, your explosive modifier was pretty OP as well. If you had to eventually die, that's a lot of power from the town gone for the next night.
4. Just to go back to the bulletproof thing, there aren't too many games where cops die in the first 2 or so nights. I just felt that early on, cop was the only good role town had, and if they died early, it would've made them UP until developer caught up. If developer was killed early, that would've prevented any reloading.

Thanks for the comments Zexy. They are really appreciated for my improvement :) It's also the first game I've balanced on my own, so I'll get there eventually.
Bodyguard could still stop mafia from killing one of the 3 OP roles quickly. Since there are 3 OP roles mafia couldn't really dispose all of them until Night 3, so some of them would get the chance to make some really beneficial plays. Reloader could be very powerful; by the time we figure out it exists, decide it is worth killing, try to kill it and potentially hit bulletproof etc. it gets more than enough time to pull off really OP plays. It wouldn't benefit scum that much, all it took was one clear with a claimed 1x role and they would make sure only town would ever benefit from it. Two would have made it more balanced, for sure, but even then we had no way to know that from a Rolecop result the way you worded it; I would go for "Nights 1-3 1x Bulletproof" for clarity. 3 nights with both Cop and Reloader protected can be more than enough to pull off OP plays... we were indeed lucky with one of these, but in that case the Developer lives for too long; it's just too hard to dispose of all the major threats in time. With just a bit more coordination from town + claiming earlier there's nothing we could've done; we were close to that point anyway, as I stated in the QT Pikapika couldn't claim and get away with it while jd/WO/Caps made quite a core of chain confirmations by confirming they acted on each other at night.

The thing with luck is that luck won't always be good or bad; if it does it's OK, eh. But that's rare. In practice you may get lucky with one death (in our case LG's) but quite unlucky with one or both of the rest. Not to mention that upon killing either of the Bulletproofs you should expect to not see more Bulletproof PRs just because of how OP it seems and how swingy it looks when you only have half of the info. And yeah, guess that's our difference; I think Reloader could be very overpowered because almost everyone had good 1x abilities. Basing the entire setup around it was indeed a cool idea, and in that case I can see why it gets 1x Bulletproof... but Cop shouldn't have got it. Besides, Cop is considered so universally strong that you don't regularly try to make it stronger; if anything it is made weaker. Cop-centric games are an obvious expection.

Not sure how much it fits the character or not, if that's the case you should've included it but get it announced (else the game is technically bastard) and actually consider it quite pro-town when balancing. I don't think explosive was that OP, if it would also block the Bulletproofs that night then maybe.

There should still be the potential for Cop to die soon; Cop is strong by itself, as said earlier; there's almost never a good reason to make it stronger. Reloader is OP since early on imo, and you'd rather give Developer the 1x Bulletproof since it was a central mechanic than a plain Cop which is just something almost all games have.

Let's not also forget that Sensor and Spy can also be very pro-town because they're very unexpected in a way that can potentially out the entire team. In practice it is more probable they'll reveal less but if you have them both and they are reloadable they can be real trouble. We got lucky with them too.

You're welcome. Sorry if they sound a bit harsh but I honestly believe this game had a few points that should be avoided. For your first time alone you did well (might be less pro-town than XY&Z, with the way it played out it's hard to tell).

Also a note on indeps; they can be very disruptive and the most common ones, Survivor/Jester, can actually get more challenging with a Voteless modifier. It also gives them an interesting way to clear themselves by proving the votelessness if they want to try it. Which is why I like Voteless indeps and you'll probably be seeing them more in my games :)

Bodyguard could still stop mafia from killing one of the 3 OP roles quickly. Since there are 3 OP roles mafia couldn't really dispose all of them until Night 3, so some of them would get the chance to make some really beneficial plays. Reloader could be very powerful; by the time we figure out it exists, decide it is worth killing, try to kill it and potentially hit bulletproof etc. it gets more than enough time to pull off really OP plays. It wouldn't benefit scum that much, all it took was one clear with a claimed 1x role and they would make sure only town would ever benefit from it. Two would have made it more balanced, for sure, but even then we had no way to know that from a Rolecop result the way you worded it; I would go for "Nights 1-3 1x Bulletproof" for clarity. 3 nights with both Cop and Reloader protected can be more than enough to pull off OP plays... we were indeed lucky with one of these, but in that case the Developer lives for too long; it's just too hard to dispose of all the major threats in time. With just a bit more coordination from town + claiming earlier there's nothing we could've done; we were close to that point anyway, as I stated in the QT Pikapika couldn't claim and get away with it while jd/WO/Caps made quite a core of chain confirmations by confirming they acted on each other at night.

The thing with luck is that luck won't always be good or bad; if it does it's OK, eh. But that's rare. In practice you may get lucky with one death (in our case LG's) but quite unlucky with one or both of the rest. Not to mention that upon killing either of the Bulletproofs you should expect to not see more Bulletproof PRs just because of how OP it seems and how swingy it looks when you only have half of the info. And yeah, guess that's our difference; I think Reloader could be very overpowered because almost everyone had good 1x abilities. Basing the entire setup around it was indeed a cool idea, and in that case I can see why it gets 1x Bulletproof... but Cop shouldn't have got it. Besides, Cop is considered so universally strong that you don't regularly try to make it stronger; if anything it is made weaker. Cop-centric games are an obvious expection.

Not sure how much it fits the character or not, if that's the case you should've included it but get it announced (else the game is technically bastard) and actually consider it quite pro-town when balancing. I don't think explosive was that OP, if it would also block the Bulletproofs that night then maybe.

There should still be the potential for Cop to die soon; Cop is strong by itself, as said earlier; there's almost never a good reason to make it stronger. Reloader is OP since early on imo, and you'd rather give Developer the 1x Bulletproof since it was a central mechanic than a plain Cop which is just something almost all games have.

Let's not also forget that Sensor and Spy can also be very pro-town because they're very unexpected in a way that can potentially out the entire team. In practice it is more probable they'll reveal less but if you have them both and they are reloadable they can be real trouble. We got lucky with them too.

You're welcome. Sorry if they sound a bit harsh but I honestly believe this game had a few points that should be avoided. For your first time alone you did well (might be less pro-town than XY&Z, with the way it played out it's hard to tell).

Also a note on indeps; they can be very disruptive and the most common ones, Survivor/Jester, can actually get more challenging with a Voteless modifier. It also gives them an interesting way to clear themselves by proving the votelessness if they want to try it. Which is why I like Voteless indeps and you'll probably be seeing them more in my games :)

Didn't sound harsh at all. I don't have too much experience, and it's great to be able to get some pointers. Thanks for all the advice.

Wouldn't that make it too easy for the indep?

Wouldn't that make it too easy for the indep?
Not necessarily. Keep in mind that non-factional indeps don't have to be balanced to have the same difficulty of winning as town/mafia. The balance comes from the fact that even if the role is easy to win as, anyone has equal chances of getting it. This is not the case for factional indeps such as Serial Killer, whose chances of winning affect town/mafia greatly.

For me I ignore indep claims until end game. If something seems fishy then I start doubting the indeps. It's better to ignore them though and try to play nice otherwise they can screw you over. You actually were lucky in this game because you had neither side against you. We didn't really consider you to possibly be lying until end game time.

I suspected him as not survivor because I had indep meta on Darth (yes Mido I used meta!) which is why we rolecopped him.

Just realized I could've used this img this game before endgame but ended up not doing it again, just like in PJ

airbus-png

edit: lol it got broken here even tho it was posted in PJ -_-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom