• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Anime Continuity Discussion Thread

If there are at least 2 different timelines with Ash then are both Victini movies canon?
The Victini movies are hard to make cannon, you can make those two cannon then you can since no one's stopping you since it's your head cannon that you're controlling. The upcoming movie to me is an alternate timeline of Ash, the time where he doesn't meet Misty and Brock the way he did in the main anime.

What I can say when I'm not the mod hence whatever I say is not authoritative enough for someone to accept, despite I'm 10000% sure I didn't mistranslated anything? Someone will trust the mod rather despite the mod doesn't know Japanese at all, just because he/she is the mod.

But, whatever. When Mima Masafumi's word where he is the Sound Director of Pokemon Anime hence authoritative enough in most of the things he announced, is still denied by most of the fandom, I can see most of the fans are really "loving" Ash Ketchum so much to the point of blindly denying whatever harsh words findable on internet, including the pessimistic possibility of we won't see the old "original Ash" anymore in the future.

Chances are, after the tweet had been translated, someone changed the words around to their liking to make it go viral and use it to push their point onto people.
That was Dephender from SPPf.

I don't know how the Sun and Moon Ash is the "new" Ash when it's the same Ash that we know for 20 years now. Had has gone through Kanto, Orange islands, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, Unova, Kalos, and now going through Alola.
There is no evidence of this.

AAs for the movie, I think that the movie is it's own cannon since it seems like a "What if...." scenario.
A "what if" scenario that is being treated as Ash's origin story as far as SM is concerned.

In November I asked my Japanese friend to ask Masafumi Mima about his tweet. Here is what my friend told me:
1492503011-fifi1.jpg

1492503011-fifi2.jpg

1492503020-fifi3.jpg

Last edited:
In November I asked my Japanese friend to ask Masafumi Mima about his tweet.
If it is within Twitter, may I ask for the original link? I want to see the conversation in original Japanese text.

If it is within Twitter, may I ask for the original link? I want to see the conversation in original Japanese text.

It was a private conversation but you can ask Fifi to send you the conversation she had with Masafumi Mima. (I contact you in PM right now)

It was a private conversation but you can ask Fifi to send you the conversation she had with Masafumi Mima. (I contact you in PM right now)
She is your friend, not mine. So it might be better for you to ask her instead of me. You can just simply copy-paste the original Japanese text and post it in this thread.

"This is not the continuing episode from XY&Z. It's Satoshi's parallel story departed from the past, for more beginning."

The more I look at it, the more I'm convinced that M20 Ash and SM Ash are the same character. I mean, a parallel story which originated from a "more" beginning? Seems to fit M20 to a T.

That user also said that the TRio in the series is the same TRio… quite weird, but it is still feasible. After all, in the Mirror World episode, the "true" TRio were the villains of the episode, rather than Mirror TRio. So, having them around isn't all that Farfetch'd.

After all, what is one of the main themes of SM? Ultra Wormholes. And we know that Anabel is a character coming from a destroyed timeline through one of those holes. Destroyed timeline… doesn't that sound eerily familiar?

Long story short, if what that user has said is true, then that could mean that the TRio present in SM may be a group of Fallers, and the souvenirs could gain a new meaning and mean that the original TRio would have appeared in SM.

A quite fascinating theory, which would be really cool if it became plot relevant. Not only that, but it would also give an indirect bit of continuity in a sense, which people seem to be craving so badly.

Last edited:
It doesn't seem that Mima specifically singled out Team Rocket as having the same personalities. He was referring to all the familiar characters (Ash, Pikachu and Team Rocket) acting similar to their OS selves.

With Team Rocket, the distinction between the different series is rather moot with the exception of BW, so the reset is hardly noticeable. In contrast, I would argue that Ash and Pikachu lack their characteristic spunk/chutzpah from the original series, and I don't recall Pikachu acting so happy-go-lucky. It would look down on Ash at times.

@Cresselia92 No offense, but any theory about destroyed timelines and Fallers is rather contrived for the anime. This is a show for kids.

Last edited:
Parallel stories, same characters but from the past makes it sound like the origin story at least would be the same... But at this point God only knows what is intended.

Parallel stories suggests that even the origin story is different.

The anime staff having us discuss the implications for continuity is rather hilarious when you think about it. What I'd like to know is what the Japanese fans have to say about this, because as far as I can see BMGf is the only English forum that is analyzing this topic...

@Cresselia92 No offense, but any theory about destroyed timelines and Fallers is rather contrived for the anime. This is a show for kids.

I'm not saying that they would mention the timeline being destroyed or whatnot. I just found amusing how the SM games say that the original timeline is gone and that there are some implications that the original timeline of the anime is gone as well.

I don't expect them to go in deep detail about this, mind you. I just found these similarities fascinating.

The SM games don't say that any timeline is gone. All we know is that Anabel lost her memories and ended up in another universe.

If Team Rocket mentioned anything nearly that mysterious, then that would be a different story. But they're as laid back as they can get.

Last edited:
Long story short, if what that user has said is true, then that could mean that the TRio present in SM may be a group of Fallers, and the souvenirs could gain a new meaning and mean that the original TRio would have appeared in SM.

Don't fallers lose their memories? But the TRio seem to remember chasing Pikachu.

BMGf is so open to controversial topics. In other forums, the mod shot this topic down immediately just because it is controversial, hence uncivil flaming will very likely occurs. I really appreciate this is a civil forum.

It was not like this continuity issue doesn't bother the Japanese fandom. Unfortunately it is just because in Japan there lacks forums for open in-depth discussion, hence the doubts and concern are not voiced out loudly and no one will answer it. Though there are a whole bunch of 2chan style message boards for quick anonymous response, but because most are just Twitter-like chat exchanging and redirecting, the responses within a thread are mostly just "I like it" "I hate it" kind of simple messages without any much follow-up by the same user. In-depth discussion are a rarity, unless you go to personal blogs where then the blogger him/herself will post some more in-depth personal opinion about an issue, but yet, there are very few response because, well, it is blog aka personal diary.

BTW, that is not only limited to Pokemon topics. Anything including academic issues or philosophy or daily-life doesn't have a specialty forum for local Japanese people to gather together and discussion whatever things related. I also have to wonder why the Japanese seems like unfond of long discussions and debating.

Last edited:
I see many indications for a reboot. Some may be stretched though.

1. The tweet from the sound director.
2. Ash is going to school and his goal is to graduate. Why would a League finalist do that?
3. SM020 didn't mention the past eventhough it was called an anniversary episode.
4. The movie is saying it's about Ash's beginnings.
5. Ash isn't interested much in Trials. Also, how much effort does he put in training his Pokémon?
6. Ash isn't going in adventures.
7. Ash can never win. TPC will stand firm in their decision and no one can do anything about it. A reboot makes it easier to justify him not winning.
8. After Ash beat 2 Legendaries in Sinnoh. TPC gave us Best Wishes where Pikachu lost to a beginner Snivy and where Ash lost to a total idiot who only brought 5 Pokémon to a full battle.

It's a cool topic to discuss and think about. Parallel worlds/timelines open up so many possibilities. However, right now it's sounding like a convenient excuse for Pokemon's mangled and neglected continuity; a happy accident to explain away some of the more not-very-well thought out decisions.

If Pokemon anime acknowledged this as a thing, though, I'd be interested.

The SM games don't say that any timeline is gone. All we know is that Anabel lost her memories and ended up in another universe.

True, it isn't outright said that, but it is implied by many quotes from some characters in both ORAS and SM. However, I suppose we couldn't say that it is gone. More like… temporarily unavailable.

If Team Rocket mentioned anything nearly that mysterious, then that would be a different story. But they're as laid back as they can get.

Well, considering how everyone is laid back in Alola, it wouldn't surprise me if they just let themselves go. However, I still believe that they are simply a TRio from another continuity, which has just more things in common with the original TRio than other characters.

Don't fallers lose their memories? But the TRio seem to remember chasing Pikachu.

We only know that Anabel lost most of her memories, but there could be some Fallers who can remember more things more clearly. What if TRio only remember to be members of TR and that they are pursuing Ash's Pikachu?

…That would be a quite sad and messed up thought, though. I find it more likely that the post is slightly mistranslated and that the TRio in SM belongs to the SM continuity, just like the rest.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom