• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Dogasu's Backpack Discussion

Hey Dogasu, in your Mystery At the Lighthouse comparasion, you left out probably the most heavily discussed thing in the whole ep--the picture of Mewtwo on Bill's door.

Also, Bill has kinda a random accent in Japanese too. Yes, I know we ultimately find out he's from Goldenrod, and that's meant to be the stand-in for Osaka, but the only other character (usually) from Goldenrod who uses Kansai-ben is Whitney.
Granted, that doesn't explain why he's suddenly BRITISH in the English version, but he's still randomly *something*. Unless one was to think of it that he and Whitney are Osakan while everyone else in Goldenrod randomly *isn't*, that everyone else is the anomaly, but hey.

Also, will the Bannai things be going up soon or will you be trying to procure a copy of that comic for yourself first? Just asking 'cause you said you thought that was all kinds of awesome.

I remember the Mewtwo picture being mentioned in the old comparison. I guess Dogasu just didn't think it was worth keeping.

Finally, the "goddamn" Machisu part. Heh, I always wondered why it wasn't in the original comparison.

I don't think that new picture of the V-neck kid is really him. His hair style is too different, and it doesn't even look like he's wearing a v-neck shirt anymore.

That kid in yellow really cracks me up. It looks like he's under some sort of mind control device.

It gets furigana and everything. :p

Katakana actually, but close enough.

Yay, new comparision! x3 Well, Katsuko has already posted that scene, but it's good that you posted a subbed version for proof? ^o^;

Katakana actually, but close enough.
"Furigana is a Japanese reading aid, consisting of smaller kana printed next to a kanji or other character to indicate its pronunciation."

Furigana can be katakana or hiragana. So it is katakana, but it's katakana furigana.

Dogasu, about your comparison. I did like how it was done (And I'm glad that you finally mentioned the assu/dogasu/nyaasu pun and how it was changed, since I found it strange how it was mentioned on Serebiiforums discussion thread and yet not in the original comparison itself.)

There is one thing I should comment on, though. No offense to you, of course, but the part involving TR acting as a Ouendan wasn't the only time that JJM were recognised by the original main cast. I mean, in "The Heartbreak of Brock" Misty recognised Jessie immediately. And while they don't actually act on their suspicions, the original cast has this almost disturbed reaction when encountering Team Rocket in Disguise, sometimes even saying they look familiar. It certainly was the first time that they do recognise them in disguise (actually, I think this was the first time Team Rocket actually disguised themselves, period.).

And anyways, I'd argue that the original main cast actually does seem to suspect TR's disguises for the most part. I mean, AG didn't really have that same recognition (the only one who even recognised TR at all seems to be Max), and in D/P, they couldn't even recognise TR in the most flimsy of disguises at all (Then again, it WAS night outside, but I still don't know how they can still be fooled by that.)

Still, Good Job.

As a final note, did you find out if the "Power of One" reference was dub added or not?

Masato said:
By the way, why were the character bios removed? I remembered when there were bios for the major characters on the site but they are gone now.

The bios were horribly out-of-date, and I knew that I wasn't ever going to take the time to get them up-to-date, much less keep them that way. So, I scrapped them.

You can find much better bios on sites like Bulbapedia anyway.

Blackjack Palazzo said:
Also, Bill has kinda a random accent in Japanese too.

The thing is...I couldn't make out any accent in the Japanese version. Sure, he may have one in the games and in the various manga, but in the anime, he just seems to have the standard Tokyo accent.

It's very strange to me, especially since they got Machisu's accent right in the very next episode.

Unless one was to think of it that he and Whitney are Osakan while everyone else in Goldenrod randomly *isn't*, that everyone else is the anomaly, but hey.

That sounds a lot like the arguments in favor of Meowth's Brooklyn accent, actually.

Also, will the Bannai things be going up soon or will you be trying to procure a copy of that comic for yourself first? Just asking 'cause you said you thought that was all kinds of awesome.

It is neat, but I'm kinda focusing on Kanto now :/ I'll get to it someday, though.

Dr. Ookido said:
Finally, the "goddamn" Machisu part. Heh, I always wondered why it wasn't in the original comparison.

Because I never noticed it before.

That's another reason, Pokemaster Justin, that I'm redoing these older comparisons instead of just picking up where I left off. To reiterate...the old comparisons sucked.

Rocket Girl said:
I don't think that new picture of the V-neck kid is really him. His hair style is too different, and it doesn't even look like he's wearing a v-neck shirt anymore.

The one I added was actually from "Electric Shock Showdown" (the first one on that page). The one you're referring to is from
"Mean with Envy."

In any case...I disagree with them not having the same hair style.

Quiet Dragon said:
Well, Katsuko has already posted that scene, but it's good that you posted a subbed version for proof? ^o^;

I actually didn't know that anyone else had uploaded it until after I posted my version. Whoops.

Weedle Mchairybug said:
As a final note, did you find out if the "Power of One" reference was dub added or not?

Not yet o_O

The thing is...I couldn't make out any accent in the Japanese version. Sure, he may have one in the games and in the various manga, but in the anime, he just seems to have the standard Tokyo accent.

Huh, that's bizarre considering it's a major point in some versions.
Come to think of it...we'll have to ask Ketsuban, but he may be the only one with that in PokeWake too--he's the only one she made a note of having that even though we see several people from his neighborhood.

That sounds a lot like the arguments in favor of Meowth's Brooklyn accent, actually.

Huh? I'm not following. Meowth doesn't come from anything pretending to be New York as Goldenrod does Osaka.
(and besides, again I repeat that I see no problem with random accents)

The problem I have is that nobody around Meowth has the same accent that he does. None of the people he associates does, nor do any of the people in "Go West, Young Meowth." So where in the world did he pick it up from?

In the Japanese version, Nyasu sounds very much like a cat speaking a second language (well...that's what he is, really). You don't get that in the English version at all.

I can see that this has the potential to get things way off-topic, so how about we revisit this when I get to the "Go West, Young Meowth" comparison. Whenever that'll be.

I read your comparsion and wow, I never knew some of the stuff about the episode, maybe since I don't speak the language myself. But anyways, how can you tell the accent from the Japanese language, is it more how you express or the slang, or possibly different dialect from the voice. I think Blackjack Palazzo mentioning Bill had a different accent and then as well with Surge. Because I don't get the mentioning accents on from Japanese. But me as a Japanese non speaker, I noticed a different dialect with Surge Jap voice and from the english slurring out.

And then in the dialouge edit, I never knew about 4 Kids changing Surge's line in the first battle at the part when he orders non electric attacks, I always assumed that he and Raichu were toying around with Pikachu.

But I do agree about Surge, he was so funny, this episode was one the first I seen in Japanese about 4 years ago, and I laughed so hard the way he talked, it was too funny. And the God Damn part, I knew this for a while, I think Chris, now Captain something these days from serebii, is the one who said that part, and I thought he was joking until I watched it myself, in a way its a good thing you posted to make it proof. But I loved it, and also explains of the whole uniform cheer from Team Rocket. I thought they dressed up in uniforms expressing of the whole military thing going on.

I always wondered why Lt. Surge was so absurdly tall. When you see him stand next to Misty, he looks like a giant.

He's like 8 feet tall or something.

I think that's because he's meant to be an American stereotype and that's how those look, even though Americans aren't the tallest nationality in the world...but the majority of Americans are either caucasian or black, both of which tend to be taller than Asians.

As a side note, I always got the impression that Surge was based partway on Guile from Street Fighter, considering one of the moves associated with Surge has the same name as Guile's signature attack (Sonic Boom).

There's also "In America everything is bigger" stereotype. xD

Amazed4587 said:
But anyways, how can you tell the accent from the Japanese language, is it more how you express or the slang, or possibly different dialect from the voice.

I'm actually not able to decipher a lot of the different accents - the Tokyo accent (what I assume is the "standard" accent) and the Osaka accent are about the only ones I can really pick up on.

I've had some people tell me that the Japanese I speak sounds like Nagoya-ben (I studied there for about a year as an exchange student) while I've had other people tell me that I speak Tochigi-ben (which is where I am now). I asked them to explain to me what the difference was, but even they weren't able to tell me.

Scott85 said:
I always wondered why Lt. Surge was so absurdly tall. When you see him stand next to Misty, he looks like a giant.

He's like 8 feet tall or something.

It's because Satoshi-tachi are supposed to be Japanese (even though there are people who will vehemently argue otherwise) while Machisu is supposed to be American. And the stereotype is that Americans are ridiculously tall.

The thing is...the stereotype isn't all that inaccurate. I'm just a little over six feet tall myself and I absolutely tower over the majority of the people here.

Although what's the excuse for Giovanni then? Someone in the Rocket Fan Club estimated that in MR he was about 200 cm (6 foot 6), and he's not presented as either an American or any sort of foreigner. While I would argue that such an estimate is overly high, he's still well over six feet by any estimation.

Also, Fantina is a foreigner but not American, and she's still really tall (although she doesn't "tower over" people as some reviewers suggested).

It's because Satoshi-tachi are supposed to be Japanese (even though there are people who will vehemently argue otherwise) while Machisu is supposed to be American. And the stereotype is that Americans are ridiculously tall.

The thing is...the stereotype isn't all that inaccurate. I'm just a little over six feet tall myself and I absolutely tower over the majority of the people here.

Yeah, it is inaccurate. I mean, a japanese kid at my school is about the same height as I am, and I'm about 5'8".

And about the whole "Ash and co." being Japanese, the funny thing is, out of all of the main cast members on the show at that point, the only one who was explicitly stated to be looking like a japanese person by one of the executives of the show is Brock.

I mean, in WPM's interview with Masamitsu Hidaka, when asked why he tried to removed Brock during the Orange Islands, and whether they intended for it to be permanent, he mentioned that they removed him because they feared that, ever since they anticipated it being a worldwide event, Brock would have been viewed as a racial stereotype against Japanese people, and even stated that he was the only main cast member at that time who resembled a Japanese person, and he wanted to remove him just to be on the safe side.

I mean, YES, the Pokemon show may have originated from Japan, but that doesn't actually mean that most of the Main cast ARE Japanese.

Still, good job on the comparison as a whole.

I mean, in WPM's interview with Masamitsu Hidaka, when asked why he tried to removed Brock during the Orange Islands, and whether they intended for it to be permanent, he mentioned that they removed him because they feared that, ever since they anticipated it being a worldwide event, Brock would have been viewed as a racial stereotype against Japanese people, and even stated that he was the only main cast member at that time who resembled a Japanese person, and he wanted to remove him just to be on the safe side.

...but wasn't that just a stupid myth?

Blackjack Palazzo said:
Although what's the excuse for Giovanni then?

I don't remember him being overly tall in that TV special.

Besides, we've seen how the animators fluctuate with characters' heights all the time. I mean, look how much Sakaki's Persian's size has changed throughout the years. Consistency in the characters' height has never been the anime's strong suit.

Having said that, I *do* think the fact that Machisu towers over Satoshi-tachi the way he does is quite deliberate.

Also, Fantina is a foreigner but not American

Do we know that? I mean, yeah, she has that French thing going for her in the English version of the games, but doesn't she just speak English in the Japanese version?

Sure, speaking English doesn't mean that you're American, but the fact that she does means that there's a possibility.

Besides, Americans aren't the only foreigners who are taller than Japanese people.

Weedle Mchairybug said:
Yeah, it is inaccurate. I mean, a japanese kid at my school is about the same height as I am, and I'm about 5'8".

So you found a Japanese kid as tall as you. Good for you.

Meanwhile, I have to sort of duck whenever I enter my living room because my apartment wasn't made with foreigners in mind. Same thing with the staff room at my school - I have to duck if I want to enter the room without banging my head against the top of the door frame.

And about the whole "Ash and co." being Japanese, the funny thing is, out of all of the main cast members on the show at that point, the only one who was explicitly stated to be looking like a japanese person by one of the executives of the show is Brock.

So the only people in Japanese cartoons who are actually Japanese are the ones who are drawn to look Japanese?

I think it's pretty effing obvious that the characters are supposed to be Japanese here. They all have Japanese names, like Japanese food, celebrate Japanese holidays, and follow a number of Japanese customs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duck_test

Back
Top Bottom