Local time
7:27 PM
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• Hi 1dbad! Do you remember me from Mangafox? We had a huge debate about the ending of HGSS and how it would involve Sird. While the Sird appearance still has yet to happen, I would just like to say, in terms of the ending of HGSS (or rather the lack of), I SO CALLED IT!!! EVEN BACK IN 2010, EVERYONE ELSE WHO CALLED IT DIDN'T DO SO TILL TWO YEARS AFTER ME! Well, nice talking to ya again! Glad to see you're still active in Pokemon! (Bulbagarden forums should be more popular than it is now imo, at least at or past Serebii forums where I have a different username). Bye, and Merry Christmas and Happy New Years!
    Yeah, sorry, I did see it, but didn't have time to reply at the time, and then plain forgot about it. My bad.

But yeah, you're probably right. I'm not too familiar with Special beyond the gen 3 stuff.
    that does make a little more sense then, i wasn't aware that the spoilers later in Pt were that heavily tied to older arcs. thats a tough call then... eh, i know too many spoilers anyways XD (**accidentally read a really bad spoiler for RS on the Wiki** ;__;)
    When I was in London on Thursday, I noticed DPt Volume 1, so I brought it. Although a certain pair of games being released the day after has meant I haven't read it yet; I've only flicked through it briefly. I find it amazing how Lady Berlitz and Dawn have the same design, yet come across as completely different people (as in, the way they look...it's weird). I'll probably read it once I've liberated Dragonspiral Tower xD
    I see.

And, after the main chapters and the volume 12 preview, is the adventure map, and then the Pokédex stuff.
    Message from Hidenori Kusaka:
    "It's often been said that Pokémon Adventures is a unique manga: it's serialized in three magazines, has lots of story arcs, several lead characters, etc. There are as many main characters as there are Pokémon Game Boy games! In the current series, the stars are the two trainers who first appeared in volumes 8 and 9, plus Crystal. When will they all meet each other...?! If you want to find out, read volume 11!!"

Message from Satoshi Yamamoto:
    "Although not even a year has passed since I began drawing Pokémon Adventures, the second volume has already come out. Isn't that an incredible pace?! What's even more amazing is Kusaka's stories! At every meeting, the stories get more and more complex, which naturally makes me even more excited to draw them. I can't wait to find out what will happen next! I just hope that my art contributes to the story and helps create something greater than the sum of its parts!"
    They charge too much for the 3DS in the UK...if you convert the UK price into dollars; the UK are paying an extra $100.
    Yeah, Takeshi Obata's just about the only well-knowned Obata in the shounen manga industry (I just prefer to refer to him by his family name since his first name is the same as Barack >_>). A lot of manga artists, even before, say, 2000, have had at least one assistant working for them for the most part (with the exception of Togashi, who apparently did a lot of HxH without assistance [and sucked]), with two to four assistants being commonplace (even for monthly series).

I usually stay away from manga series that haven't been translated or are hard to find in scanlated form, sadly. My Japanese is so rusty, I can barely read 4 kana out of 30 these days, lol.
    Yeah, manga I hear is a pretty hectic job to keep on for several years and onwards; artists like Obata have stated that doing the outlines for the artwork alone takes a day or two, and then they have to ameliorate on that before even inking, and after that there comes the need for applying screentone and whatnot, too. This is, mind you, someone who has plenty of his assistants doing the stuff that takes a lot of work, such as backgrounds, vehicles, and objects the everyday comic artist wouldn't be used to drawing, such as dice or realistic-looking cars and all that.

It must've been even worse for her as a hard-stricken disease like that doesn't just build up in 2 days, and the strenuous magazine work must've blown the trigger. Bleh.
    Yeah, I rarely let small things catch my attention, but somewhere I remembered reading that, and so I browsed through the coverflaps for the RGB and Yellow volumes, and turns out that Mato does mention it runs in the 4th, 5th, and 6th grade magazines in the sixth volume (before GSC made its debut). You can go check it yourself, if you want. Sorry my memory was a little hazy on that one (but at least it confirms that the manga ran via magazine form before GSC :p).

A lot of the people on that site thought it was unfortunate since they don't feel that Yamamoto's art really lives up to Mato's (likely for the nostalgia), and that they felt sorry for her now that it's been about a decade since she (had to) quit, and she still doesn't show the greatest convalescence, and all that. :(
    Well, Special's actually been running in magazine form since at least prior to the 2nd volume getting published (if the coverflap for said volume doesn't lie to ya :p), but it is true that having the disease to fight whilst drawing for a series with hundreds of kinds of Pokemon to illustrate must've been hard on her. I'm not 100% certain, but it seems that the disease was making her hand weak (and progressively got worse) and made it hard for her to keep up with her old work, last I recall. I read translations of her "commentary" on another site that had people talking about how they felt about the artist change and everything.
    Wtflol @ 5 straight VMs. I thought you were spamming me or something when I clicked my User CP, lol.

And yeah, Mato's GSC art is terrible (though not the worst). As you've no doubt heard, though, her disease was probably kicking in at the time, and considering she posted stuff like "I'm feeling better now, I can actually sit in front of the TV for a while" or "I had my first walk in the park in years" on her website, you can pretty much bet your ass she was suffering pretty ill. When you compare her artwork for the first 4 or so volumes to the two GSC volumes she did, you can really note a stark contrast in the amount of detail that the volumes contain (and the chibis :p). Not that the two or three Yellow ones before those were very good in retrospect, but yeah.

What Yamamoto has over that, though, is that he's actually drawn the series nonstop for almost 30 volumes, and Kusaka almost overworks him to add more spice to the volumes so to speak, haha.
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
Back
Top Bottom