• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Alola Variant Pokemon: Thoughts and Predictions

Favourite Alolan form so far?

• Total voters
Last edited by a moderator:
This is probably very unlikely, but I wonder if the reason that they're making pages for old Pokemon on the Japanese website isn't just because they're getting new Pokedex entries, but because they have variations that haven't been discovered before by the professor and the scientists behind the Pokedex, and YOU have to discover or breed for them.

Like for instance, maybe through exploring more remote parts of some of the islands, you find an area (like a small island, perhaps?) populated by water type Growlithe, which you can then catch and show to the Professor to have them researched and have data added into the Pokedex. I'm not sure how difficult it would be to come up with enough different secluded locations though... maybe a cave you reach through complex spelunking would be where you could find an Alolan variant of Zubat (or some kind of Dratini variant based on Olms? (a type of blind salamander that look kind of like axolotls) Just throwing out some ideas. I know that there are caves that require diving equipment in order to get through due to most of the tunnels being full of water...)

Breeding for new forms of old Pokemon would require less effort put into designing areas for specific forms and would require less map space to be devoted to weird out-of-the-way treks. It might be nice if some could be discovered through exploring, and others created by the player through breeding?

The only issue with the idea of breeding for them is that Alolan forms seem to be based on real world theories of evolution, which happens over really long periods of time and wouldn't be able to be achieved over the course of a few generations of breeding. Since Pokemon is a fictional universe, however, they could easily decide that alternate formes might be achievable more quickly with Pokemon, due to how adaptable certain species are, or come up with a way to accelerate evolutionary changes. I'd imagine that to breed new and more specific forms, you'd need to perhaps breed specific egg moves onto the offspring, or have the parents hold a held item kind of like the way that incenses worked in the past (which was admittedly pretty annoying, but would feel more worth it if it resulted in a creature that isn't just a weaker version of an existing Pokemon, but instead something that would evolve into a unique form that would make it more worth breeding for beyond filling the Pokedex)

Not sure if this has been established yet, but all of the Pokemon on the website have been in one trailer or another in some way or form, only one who hasn't been added is Gengar.

Probably more gen 1 variant next month or two. I guess expecting other gens to have variantions would be wasting my time considering all we get is gen 1 alola variants.

Look at this, this should really happen.

View: http://pokemonsumodesigntheories.tumblr.com/post/149519815917/swag-beetles-my-idea-for-an-alolan-rapidash

For Alolan Lapras ice/dragon I would suggest that it uses it used its ice attacks to climb on mountin to get away from predators and rival pokemon like Wishiwashi? maybe it could become legs but why if it can slide on ice and use ice attacks(icy terrain cast ability would make sense then it could slide always on ice and create ice on the ground)?

Last edited:
If we were to get a Fairy/Flying pegacorn Rapidash, I hope the design would still be inventive. The stereotypical magical princess unicorn Pokemon is a fun idea, but it has the risk of being as unimaginative and unmemorable as the age-old archetypes it's parodying/paying homage to.

I don't get it. Why are people so obsessed with Water-Arcanine and Fighting-Alakazam???

They're from a leak that many people consider pretty credible, plus everyone just loves dogs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Something from one of the potential leaks so maybe spoilers maybe not

The idea of an Alolan Dodrio that's Fighting/Flying has me kinda hyped. I really hope it happens because I've always sorta liked Dodrio but at the same time always found it a little bland at the same time. So a makeover might be really good for it.

Ostriches and cassowaries can kick really hard, in fact the cassowary is pretty infamous for its deadly kicks. I think an Alolan Dodrio that's Fighting could take this idea and roll with it to learn kicking moves. Since the best kicking moves are Jump Kick and High Jump Kick, Reckless seems a good ability for it (although I'm not sure if it would learn High Jump Kick since that involves using the knee going by the Japanese name, while Dodrio would probably be all foot-kicking). Reckless Jump Kick and Brave Bird sounds really fun. You could even make an argument for Tough Claws - I was going to make a Sharp-Toed ability for kicking moves, but Tough Claws already covers that in a way. However Tough Claws is kinda boring, safe and overused as a suggestion (especially just coming off three years of Mega ideas) because it's so good.

So here's my idea for it

Alolan Dodrio
Type: Fighting/Flying
Abilities: Reckless, Anger Point
Hidden Ability: Guts?
Stats: 60/130/100/30/60/80
Changes from original Dodrio: +20 Attack, +30 Def, -30 Sp.Atk, -20 Speed

Some useful moves it could learn: Brave Bird, Jump Kick, Bulk Up (hey, Talonflame and Braviary can get it!), Roost, Knock Off, Pursuit, maybe even U-turn. Regular Dodrio doesn't have a particularly wide movepool, so here's hoping they fluff it up a bit with some more.

Hawlucha would be the faster and weaker Fighting/Flying, while Dodrio can be the slower but hole-punching one.

Also

If Water Arcanine does end up existing like is rumoured, it should have Friend Guard and Swift Swim and assist the Alolan lifeguards on the beaches :p

I would like to see a pure Flying Rapidash. It fits better than Fairy.

Ostriches and cassowaries can kick really hard, in fact the cassowary is pretty infamous for its deadly kicks

Glad to see I wasn't the only one who thought that! We do need a cassowary Pokemon, weird coloring and everything. And oh my gosh if Doduo gets a form too it should totally be a cassowary chick. They're adorable <3 In fact, if I get the time, I might even draw that.

God Alolan Rattata have probably one of the most uninspired and uncreative design of all time. Just black instead purple and minor jags around the body. Also another Gen I Pokemon. Great!

Well it looks better than regular Rattata so the design is fine by me. I'm kinda intrigued to see how Raticate looks; given the design and flavour text in the press release they seem to have a gang vibe going on and Alolan Raticate are their boss.

Also if they copout of giving a Dark/Normal type Strong Jaw I will cry! Strong Jaw Crunch and Hyper Fang is begging to happen! Gluttony and Hustle are probably staying, so I have to hope for the HA...

Back
Top Bottom