• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What would ya'll rate the Sun&Moon series as a whole so far?

If Rowlet fully evolves, it would be Ash's first Ghost-type.
I wonder why other type he never got.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

I can't excuse the lack of Captains, but I thought the fact Ash battled the Yungoos and Gumshoos before Totem Gumshoos was the trial before the Totem battle. And the fact they made it a double battle I thought improved it from the games. Besides, Rowlet offered nothing but being a Shield in the Totem battle, which basically resulted in Pikachu vs Totem Gumshoos anyway. I don't think S.O.S was ever gonna make much sense in the anime to begin with, so I don't see that as a bad thing, when it was powerful enough as it is.

That's exactly what I didn't like. I wanted to see the trial in the same game format where he found them in burrows and then battled them. The way they did it where the Yungoos and Gumshoos just came to him was so boring to me.

Hala didn't purposely give Ash the Electrium Z, that was all Tapu Koko's doing. And for the writers, it's probably so Pikachu and Rowlet can each use a Z move rather then only one. And seeing how you also get the Steelium Z at Hokulani Observatory, I can see that being the replacement since I'm sure Ash will have something other then Pikachu that will have a Steel move. If not, I'm not gonna judge it just yet anyway since I can't tell you the staffs plans. Up to this point though, I don't have a real problem with it.

Again, that it what I had the problem with. I didn't like how they intentionally made Tapu Koko switch Hala's Fightinium-Z with an Electirum-Z. He should have just received the one he was going to get originally.

Both Pikachu and Rowlet are capable of using Breakneck Blitz so they each would have been able to use a Z-Move regardless. The situation they've created is unbalanced because Pikachu can use two, while Rowlet only has access to one.

The show hasn't been loyal to the games since... well ever. I mean you had Gym Leaders just giving Ash badge's back during the Indigo League and since then, Gym leaders haven't even had their proper in-game teams. If you want the accurate version of the game, play the game, if you wanna see a creative process, watch the show.

There's a difference between giving away a free badge or the incorrect Z-Crystal and a simple team alteration. I can deal with a person having a different Pokemon. I'm not a fan of completely changing the reward for a challenge. I don't see it as a 'creative process' at all.

But whatever. We can agree to disagree.

so far I would say it's pretty good not great but not bad either but I thought XY had a good start and even bw had it's moments where I quite liked the groups interactions outside iris's catchphrase and a few other bits and pieces but they went hill after a sort while outside of the odd patch of goodness

It was supposed to start this weekend, but it's just the sneak peek again from what I have been told.
That sounds right to me: I noticed that only the first dub episode of SM is airing again on the 22nd (we'll be able to tell if it's just the sneak peek based on if the intro is updated or not) and then for all of the remainder of January & February, no new dub episodes are airing. That's most likely because the dub music replacement score is being prepared for its proper run, IMO, though I could be mistaken.

Yeah the style looks weird on Ash and TR, but everyone else look alright

As for the exciting moments, I'm not really expecting anything, I'm enjoying this series because of the funny :3

Not really. I don't think he could pass for anything under ten with the new art style.

While I can understand people not liking the art style (I wasn't a fan myself at first) I do think Ash looks much more his age in this style. He sure didn't look like a 10 year old in XY, and while that art style was very nice, it was weird to have him look way older than his intended age.

I also feel like this particular art style fits in well with SM's tone. Watching the series now, I can't really imagine it with previous art styles. I really think the new style translates so much better in motion than in screenshots or on a flat page.

Honestly, it's Jessie & James' newer designs that get to me more than anything else in this Series- just...they look really bad, genuinely bad, I've adapted to Meowth & Ash's easily so...:(

Honestly, it's Jessie & James' newer designs that get to me more than anything else in this Series- just...they look really bad, genuinely bad, I've adapted to Meowth & Ash's easily so...:(

Personally, I found Professor Oak's to be the worst.

Professor_Oak_SM_anime.png

How could they screw up the iconic hair? Samson Oak looked more like the classical Professor and he has long hair and a tan.

Something else I've noticed SM is doing that I really enjoy is stressing the culture of the region. I really like all of the emphasis on how important nature is to the people of Alola, and how they live alongside Pokémon. Last episode with Hala and Ash praying to Tapu Koko before the battle, and the most recent episode where Kiawe and his family gave thanks to the volcano and Kiawe's lesson from his grandfather (about wanting to be a nurturing flame rather than one of destruction) were something I really appreciated and enjoyed getting to see. It's setting Alola apart and I really like that the unique aspects of the region are being laid out.

Something else I've noticed SM is doing that I really enjoy is stressing the culture of the region. I really like all of the emphasis on how important nature is to the people of Alola, and how they live alongside Pokémon. Last episode with Hala and Ash praying to Tapu Koko before the battle, and the most recent episode where Kiawe and his family gave thanks to the volcano and Kiawe's lesson from his grandfather (about wanting to be a nurturing flame rather than one of destruction) were something I really appreciated and enjoyed getting to see. It's setting Alola apart and I really like that the unique aspects of the region are being laid out.

I have to say I agree with this much: I liked the slapstick humor in the episode in question, too, reminded me of early OS-style humor.

On top of Alola feeling like a distinct region and culture, I really like how, so far, the new Pokemon are treated as a part of nature and have a symbiotic relationship with it. It struck me watching yesterday's episode that Mudbray featured so prominently yet didn't have the entire episode devoted to it. In the past, there would have been a whole episode featuring that Pokemon.

So far, we've only had three Pokemon-centric episodes: Mimikyu, Rowlet and Litten, who are important to the main cast. A lot of the new Pokemon like Togedemaru, Bounsweet, Turtonator, Bewear, Mudbray, Alolan Rattata/Raticate, Alolan Exeggutor etc. have featured within other episodes without being the centre of attention. The Pokemon feel a part of the world and not like obligatory encounters the group needs to have on their travels. It feels more natural this way.

Last edited:
After giving it a little more time, so far, I feel like SM's Anime has improved a little bit.

Currently, my thoughts are that...

Pros:

- Ash is being handled very well: not a Gary Stu or a complete idiot, just the right balance between his personality traits- SM has a likable incarnation of him thus far.

- Kiawe went from being incredibly stiff and dull to an interesting and likable character with a kind nature.

- Lillie was fleshed out a lot more than the initial shyness was letting on- I was afraid she was going to be the next early Serena in that aspect, but I'm relieved that isn't the case.

Neutral:

- Sophocles can be pretty annoying at times and smug for his own good, but at least he got an episode with some focus with Ash and came off as nicer by the end, so I guess he's just OK to me.

- Lana is similar, actually, she was interesting in that fishing episode but now...eh, she hasn't done much of anything, needs more focus.

Cons:

- Team Rocket's current SM designs still honestly bother me...Meowth's eyes are off after giving it more thought, Jessie just looks off all around, and James' hair is just awkward to look at now: their new art style isn't (bad) or anything but it could've been better. More than that, as characters, Team Rocket are fairly bland outside of the Bewear gag right now- James has a comedy episode coming up, though, I guess the gag of him being bitten on the head is returning as well.

- Mallow really hasn't gotten any focus at all so far, and just seems to be eye candy in general, even more than Lillie in the upcoming episode as well (and believe me, Lillie is reduced to fan service in that as well just looking at the preview, but this happens every saga so...). So far, I have a similar impression of her as I did Serena during most of the XY Series, so I think she needs more character-focused episode desperately.

- Samson Oak, when he appears, is more or less a one-note pun running gag as a character so far: he needs to be fleshed out quite a bit to be made more interesting.

- Kukui isn't bad or anything, but so far, he's just...there...as in, extraordinarily bland- nothing about him stands out at all.

Currently, I'd give the SM Anime a rating of 6.5/10, which is a little better than how I felt about it earlier: I don't think it's quite as good as some are claiming it is, but I also don't think it's terrible like others do, either- just very neutral on it as a whole currently.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom