• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review SM018: Really!? Mao's Great Cooking Operation!

You know I was wondering if I was the only one who thought when I saw that bit about Mallow's brother

Mallow's Older Brother is Toriko expy?

This episode pretty much cemented my feelings that Mao is my favorite character. I mean, she's just such a sweetheart, isn't she? She wants to go all out to make this signature dish in order to bring attention to her father's cooking. I wonder if she had said anything to her brother about trying to find the recipe, or if he just thought of it himself to write it down and send it to her. Or maybe the two of them are in cahoots together. ha. I hope we actually get to meet her brother in a future episode.

When Mao picked Pikachu up and asked him to do her a favor, and then when the Thunderbolt came flying out, I actually was afraid for a minute that something happened to make Pikachu attack her. Especially when she walked out of the kitchen all covered in electric soot (or whatever). It was funny watching their reactions to the Thunderbolt being in the stew. And I have to say about Kiawe -- last week he dissolved into hysterics over the Z-Crystal, this week, he's making critical remarks about Mao's cooking and insulting her, basically. Geez, you're just a ball of joy, aren't you, Kiawe?

I feel I need to fuss Ash for the scene that occurred after the gang left and he was still in the restaurant. I recall rather vividly that he had no qualms about diving headfirst into a volcano to grab Talonflame, but he apparently does have qualms about reaching his hands out to catch Rowlet so it doesn't splat onto the floor. I mean Rowlet was right there, Ash. You couldn't have caught it? Sheesh.....

Is it just me, or is this the most high tech base that TR has put together yet? I mean that's a pretty snazzy HQ setup, if I do say. Gee, I wonder how long it will take for something to happen to cause it to get smashed to flinders?

It was nice to see Ash out on a quest that wasn't the result of something terrible happening. And how nice of Roto to step in to help when they were trying to figure out how to go about tracking down the Saffron Nectar. I mean it seemed as though Roto was prepared for in case they would encounter precisely this kind of situation. *coughs*

Okay, what the heck was up with that Pelipper swallowing poor Rowlet?

Poor Bounsweet, it's trying so hard to keep that Oricorio in range so Mao & Ash don't lose sight of it, that it uses up it's whole being and becomes a sad, shriveled little thing. But it's efforts paid off, fortunately, because they found the cave entrance that led to the meadow. I wonder if that Baile Style Oricorio was a bestie of the Pom-Pom style one and it wanted to change forms so they would match.

Bounsweet's transformation was pretty awesome. Love the new evolution animation. It's much more detailed now that the glowing blob that used to get overlaid on top of the evolution scenes from previous series is not there. I hope this is going to be the standard now for all the evolution scenes. Steenee is pretty awesome. She's such a determined little fighter, and you can also see how devoted to Mao she is.

You know, silly me, I actually thought that, for once, TR was going to get blasted off by Pikachu's Thunderbolt. But nope, Bewear at the last second pops up.

I was very happy for Mao that the Alolan stew turned out as perfection after making it again with the nectar. Even though it'll only be a seasonal dish, I hope it help brings the recognition to her family's restaurant that she wants to have.

I really only have one nitpick about this episode and that is that her family lives on Akala island, which is also where their restaurant is, and that was not mentioned at all in this episode. So I guess in the show the writers want to have her family living on Melemele.

I have to say this is definitely one of my favorite episodes so far in the series.

Finally!!!!! Mallow gets a focus ep!! I am calling it, the electric stew shocking everyone was not an accident. That was her vengeance for not getting a focus ep yet.

Great episode!!! I really like Mallow and Ash playing off each other (the ship only grows stronger). I loved how the evolution looked. I wonder when we will meet mallow's brother btw. The gag of them chasing the Pokemon (forget the spelling) over and over was great. This was likely my favorite ep this season.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom