• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview M20: I Choose You!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The clipshow shows the old OS saga screenshots from the 90's era. But when it comes to the actual M20 itself, it is all new things. Ash is a new character, Ash is going on a new journey different from the original OS, Ash has new companions, Ash has a new goal.

Does this count as official trolling?
Or, twiddle the nostalgic feeling of the fandom rather count as business strategy?

The clipshow shows the old OS saga screenshots from the 90's era. But when it comes to the actual M20 itself, it is all new things. Ash is a new character, Ash is going on a new journey different from the original OS, Ash has new companions, Ash has a new goal.

Does this count as official trolling?
Or, twiddle the nostalgic feeling of the fandom rather count as business strategy?

The amount of care they give to fans who are no longer little kids is null. They don't need us, they already make tons of money. We can all stop watching and I doubt they would care.

NEW INFO!
Jul 15: Movie 20 - Pocket Monsters the Movie: I Choose You! (Apr 15: New summary) - Page 97
Adamant said:
Here is Pokemon Fan's coverage of what details we have on the movie so far:

obJWy01.jpg

A special report on the start of Satoshi and Pikachu's journey!

We've finally got a glimpse of the movie's story! We'll also present the newly discovered Pokémon and the travel companions in detail!!

Setting off with Houou as the goal!
The "Rainbow Feather" Houou gave Satoshi serves as their guide for the journey!!

oEtj5gU.jpg

From completely incompatible to true partners!
After meeting Pikachu, Satoshi finally sets off on his journey! What kind of adventure awaits him on his journey in search of Houou?

"I like you!"
Satoshi and Pikachu's meeting!
Satoshi also started out as a rookie Pokémon Trainer. But even though Pikachu won't listen to him, he gets through to it little by little.

"Let's go meet it!"
The start of the adventure!!
They witness Houou, which flaps its beautiful wings as it flies through the sky! Meeting this legendary Pokémon again then becomes the duo's goal!

Encounters with travelmates!
As the journey continues on, companions that will travel with Satoshi appear! Both the humans and the Pokémon are irreplaceable friends!
Makoto and Soji, Pokémon Trainers: They will teach Satoshi lots of things he doesn't know.
Butterfree and Hitokage, Pokémon: Together with the Pokémon he befriends, Satoshi heads for his next encounter!

A tough opponent that stands in his way: Cross!
When Trainers meet, they have a Pokémon battle! Some opponents focus purely on physical strength to win!

eKYEUUy.jpg

Friends! Pokémon! New encounters!!
These are the people and Pokémon Satoshi meets on his journey. It's confirmed that a newly discovered Pokémon will be among them!!

Trainers! Pokémon! All kinds of encounter lie in wait!!
Companions, a rival and a person that helps Satoshi! For the first time ever, the journey is truly overflowing with such encounter! And in the movie, a Pokémon nobody yet knew of , one resembling a black shadow, will appear! And so will a certain Pokémon from the Alola region!

Marshadow:
It hid in Satoshi's shadow without anyone noticing. Is it actually Marshadow that's been guiding Satoshi as well?!
(A Pokémon quietly appeared from Satoshi's shadow!)

Cross:
A Trainer that travels with a Gaogaen. He believes that strength is everything.

Gaogaen:
In addition to moves that shoot out fire, it also specializes in punching and kicking!

Pochama:
Makoto's partner. It gets carried away rather easily.

Lucario:
Soji's partner. It has the power to read others' emotions.

Lizardon:
Does Satoshi meet this Pokémon somewhere on his journey...?

Soji:
He knows extremely much about Pokémon, and his goal is to eventually become a Pokémon Professor.

Makoto:
An energetic girl Trainer that's Satoshi's equal!

Joy:
She will treat injured Pokémon at the Pokémon Center.

Bonji:
A researcher that has chased after Houou for a long time.
Dephender;18387714 said:
Simple enough. The Hitokage is shown being caught in the trailer, while Lizardon is just randomly appearing in promo art with no explanations.
Magazine movie coverage is always ridiculously restricted to just explaining over and over what has already been officially revealed, which means you're just going to get "there's a Lizardon in these various promo pictures, wonder what that means?" repeated over and over until some official source actually breaks the news and explains it.
Yeah, it's tiresome, and in the past people rarely bothered scanning these movie promo articles since they just repeat each other over and over.
SATOSHI'S EQUAL?
SATOSHI'S EQUAL!!!?
Screenshot_2017-04-27-00-35-12-1.png

Last edited:
Well, it's nice to know that Makoto is 'Ash's equal' (whatever that means),....but I hope they reveal some more information on her and Soji soon. It's been kind of boring and disappointing seeing the same basic descriptions about them over and over. I also hope they do something to make her Piplup stand out from Dawn's. The line "It get's carried away easily" just makes me feel like they're going to be very similar characters and I surely don't want that.

I just hope some actual Kanto characters appear. I'll even take silent cameos. Heck, they haven't even talked about the TRio and we actually know they'll be in the movie! doing next to nothing, as usual

They better have cards they're not showing, otherwise this will be kind of a mess...

Yeah, I find it weird that they're being so vague with these new characters. It's something different every time, but it's nothing of interest. You would think they would want to hype up these characters that they for whatever reason invented specifically for this movie. But the more "info" we get, the more I just see them as copies of pre-existing characters.

I just hope some actual Kanto characters appear. I'll even take silent cameos. Heck, they haven't even talked about the TRio and we actually know they'll be in the movie! doing next to nothing, as usual

They better have cards they're not showing, otherwise this will be kind of a mess...

Right? Like they're going to all of this trouble to replace the actual Kanto main characters and yet we barely know anything about them. They must have known the decision would be divisive, you'd think they'd make more of an effort to sell these characters to fans who might be wary the characters from Kanto (or hell even the main tv series) aren't in this.

It's looking more and more like a generic Pokemon movie at this point just with some slapped-on nostalgia, which really bums me out. Also,

"irreplaceable"

ha.................................... ha ha.........

ha

I wonder if "irreplaceable" and "Satoshi's equal" are hints at the new characters appearing in more than one movie.

Both the humans and the Pokémon are irreplaceable friends!
That's S-tier chutzpah, right there. Like a child claiming it wasn't them when you catch them with their hand in the cookie jar with crumbs falling out of their mouth as they protests their innocence.

Makoto:
An energetic girl Trainer that's Satoshi's equal!
It's far, far, FAR too early for this to impress (or, in the series continuity, far too late).

It's absurd to compare other characters to goddess Makoto. She's Satoshi's equal! She's totally irreplaceable. :whistle:

Yeah, she's probably the best-handled female companion in the franchise. Her arc was the cleanest, hit all the emotional beats, she was hardly ever just *there*, she was relatable, it's a shame her series ended 7 years ago.

Wait.

There seems to be way too much going on in this movie to include how Ash's Charizard disobeyed Ash initially and how he gained Charizard's trust.

Even considering favoritism, that'll mean having to take a chunk out of 90 minutes and dedicate at least a quarter of the entire runtime to make it a plausible story.

Charizard is probably rewritten to be well-behaved.

I'm going to be honest, the "knowledgable about Pokemon" male companion and the "energetic" female companion are possibly the most stereotypical and generic terms for any pokemon anime companions that I have ever come across. It's been done before, several times. It's nice that Lillie is a break from the constant string of male peers in the main cast who are the ones with all the knowledge about Pokemon, but she's still vastly outnumbered by amount of male nerds/ knowledgable male companions that have littered the main cast throughout the main series, now being joined by this Souji character.

As a fan of Dawn I'm offended by Makoto having a Piplup that gets carried away easily. And to add insult to injury she's being promoted as Ash's equal. Couldn't she just die before the movie's premiere?

This is something guys. This movie has managed to upset fans of both the original series and the Diamond & Pearl series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom