• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

ATEE: Partners in Crime *Me (That Guy) and Alex64*

"Hmph." Rex drew back, re-readied his sword, and lunged forwards again, cutting effortlessly through the air as he advanced. "Good thing nobody told me that."

The cat leapt away from his blade, darkness surrounding himself.
"Ghh... Looks like luck favors you this time. But you will die by my hand. I swear it!"
And with that, the shadows dissipated, and he was gone.

Megan relaxed immediately, as he vanished-- perhaps by too much. She fell forwards, but Rex caught her, having at least the courtesy of laying her down gently, then crouching beside her.

"How..?" She cursed herself internally, both for pursuing the most predictable line of questioning, and for being so weak, still, as to not even finish a coherent thought aloud. "And...why..?"
"I don't know what the exact consequences are of being killed in here..." He folded his arms and looked away, wearing an air of impatience, "but you have the answers to far too many of my questions for me to let you die now."
"Like...Like what?" She took deep, calculated breaths as she waited for him to reply. If he wanted her to talk, she was going to damn well talk, and to hell with the consequences of that last 'battle', if it could even be called that.
"Alright, here's the obvious one: who even are you? ...And, yes, I do mean for that to carry all the baggage it sounds like it would."
"I already told you, didn't I?" Ooh, a full sentence without having to pause for breath. This was going well. "...Megan. Megan Prower."
Rex's eyes lit up at her surname, or so it looked from where she was currently lying.
"Then I assume the name Midnight means something to you..?"
She looked at him askance.
"Yes..? He's my dad."
"Then why haven't I heard of you before today?" he shot back, almost too quickly.
"Wh-- what kind of a question is that?!"
"He's my father. If I had another sister, I'd like to think he'd at least have the balls to tell me."

Megan sat up and opened her mouth to retort, but found her mind veering off in another direction entirely.
"...If Midnight's your father, why are you a bird?"
This caught him entirely off-guard. He hid his surprised expression with a facepalm.
"Iesus Christos, y-you can't just ask someone why they're a bird..!" He cleared his throat. "...Because my mother is a sparrow, too. Obviously."
"But...I've never seen Dad so much as speak to a bird before."
Rex's face sat expressionless for a moment, then he started to stand, offering her a hand to help her to her feet, which she accepted.
"...And...you're sure you're real?" he asked, at last. The question struck Megan dumb.
"Yes. Today might have been the biggest crock of shit I've had to live through in a while, but it hasn't driven me to total existential despair just yet."
"Then...If you know someone who answers to 'Wes', tell him my father still misses him."

He turned, and started to walk away.
"Wait, you're just...leaving?!"
"I've got a lot of things I need to think about."
"But...Hey, I could seriously use your help! I almost died just now, and I feel like things aren't going to get any better for me anytime soon..!"
"Heh." Yes, even from this distance, that was quite clearly a smirk. "If you're any child of my father's-- in whatever reality you exist in-- you'll be fine."
"But..!"

Too late. He had already disappeared.

"A lot more questions than answers, if I'm honest." She inclined her head. "...He did have a message for some "Wes", though, but that part's totally lost on me."

"I'll, uh...be sure to let the real you know when I get out of here, too. Speaking of..!" She turned on her heels, as if knowing where to go, until she realised that she didn't. "...What now?"

In a flash of white, everything changed; the sky turned yellow, the mountains in the distance reappeared but had large holes taken out of them, and the trees took a more angular, sinister appearance.
"Greetings," a familiar voice echoed. "You've come a long way, haven't you?"
The branch of the trees ahead of her parted, as if beckoning her forward.

Last edited:
Opting to wear a profound scowl, she complied. A part of her, a very vocal part of her, wanted to say something, to object, to lash out, to make it quite clear she wasn't intimidated, but-- no. She was going to rise above that. It wasn't worth suffering the satisfaction.

Back
Top Bottom