• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Stars Discussion Thread (Speculation)

Do you think that Stars is real or Fake

• Real

Votes: 61 59.8%
  • Fake

Votes: 41 40.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I doubt Takashi Mochizuki would bring that article up unless we were gonna get something announced soon (or at least by E3). Anyway we'll just have to wait and see.
Why do you always assume that these journalists know more than we do? Their job is to share news rather than teasing it.

What? HD development takes time and experience. If Capcom, a much bigger company, can't pump out a proper Switch game this year, I don't see why Game Freak would.

Stars can be just a port to SM which would be the same as what capcom are doing.

EDIT:
Why do you always assume that these journalists know more than we do? Their job is to share news rather than teasing it.

Because we haven't got contacts with leakers.

Which is what I was saying... Basically, my point is that making a new game Switch-exclusive just for such a minor upgrade would be a dickish thing to do. In Capcom's case, they aren't pretending that the Switch version of XX is anything but a port.

Which is what I was saying... Basically, my point is that making a new game Switch-exclusive just for such a minor upgrade would be a dickish thing to do. In Capcom's case, they aren't pretending that the Switch version of XX is anything but a port.

GF aren't pretending anything becuase they haven't announced anything lol.

Also, I think Stars on 3DS with minimal improvement will be more 'dickish' than Stars with minimal changes on Switch.

Did I say Game Freak were pretending about an unannounced game that could very well not be a third version at all?

And if these journalists received new leaks, they would tell us. They don't tend to sit on information for another company's benefit. They care about getting clicks.

I assume they know more than us because they have sources. All good journalists do. And yes their job isn't to tease us, but if they have info they may just do that. Video game news is different from political news or world news in general. I don't expect journalists on NBC/CBS/BBC/etc. to tease stuff, but for journalists that are very specifically gaming press then yes it's not out of the question they may tease. Also I would say your statement about them telling us everything they know is a bit misguided. Most journalists in general have very special relationships with their sources. If their sources tell them not to post or report on certain info then they won't. Otherwise it would ruin their relationship and the sources would stop giving them info. It's basic journalism 101, don't screw your sources. Either way like we've both said this conversion isn't really going anywhere. It's best to let it go for now and hopefully we'll get some real info sooner verses later.

The one for the Switch could possibly be about the Switch Fire Emblem game too, I do think Fire Emblem also counts as a 'world famous RPG' and it's to be released in 2018 I think, so this is not a bad time to start hiring for it. At least iirc, that hiring was from Nintendo and not GF itself right?

I was under the impression that the "world famous RPG" for the Switch listing was GameFreak specific. But I could be totally mistaken. I keep hoping that someone will be able to reproduce the page to clear this up.

Last edited:
I was under the impression that the "world famous RPG" for the Switch listing was GameFreak specific. But I could be totally mistaken. I keep hoping that someone will be able to reproduce the page to clear this up.

Ah you're right, I was able to find this some pages back: New Pokémon For Switch On The Horizon? Game Freak Recruiting For Console Project - Siliconera. It was indeed for GF, so that definitely makes it more likely for it to be Pokémon, as that is their only globally popular RPG.

At this point, I really don't think we are getting anymore main series games on the 3DS, or a new game this year at all.

Here's both ads:
Advert 1:
“Here’s a chance to work on the development of a globally popular RPG!” The work requires using material to create cartoon-like super deformed characters, monsters, and item models. In addition to work as a modeler, they’ll also be expected to do work on debugging, data work, and more. Experience using animation and modeling software Maya is required.

And if that doesn’t say new Pokémon game, here’s another bit that’s in the ad’s details:
We’ll have you work on the production an RPG game that is popular on a global scale.
Platform will be console.
It’s a title that just about anyone knows, a proposal that could be your future career.

Advert 2:
In another ad they’re looking for character modelers for a new title. This one has a similar job description to the 3D CG designer, except it specifically mentions under Maya’s part that they should have experience working on models at the level of Wii U and PS Vita.

Both adverts lasted/will last until the end of May 2017.

I think one thing we may need to take into account is that a single person does not make a team. Regardless of what kind of game they put out, if said game comes out this year or even next year at some point a single person may not make a great deal of difference. It's not like the adds going up recently means that the game only just went into development. Even if it's not Stars whatever the game is it would have been in development for at least a year and a half or so. ORAS was made around a year or so, but that's because it was well......idk how to put it. hahaha In any event if the next game release is in any way ambitious then it would have to already be in development regardless of it coming out this or next year. That means a single person would give little indication of when they got started.The odds are is that both positions are simply just so they can have a couple extra people around to help out where needed. With that in mind I'd both listings are kind of not something we should be focusing too much on. Sure they may hint on what GF are currently working on, but at the same time they may not entirely. In a way as far as possible hints go they cancel each other out. both are kind of hits for both sides of the argument and thus no on can say for sure that GF is working on one kind of game or the other with 100% certainty.

I think one thing we may need to take into account is that a single person does not make a team.

Tell that to Team Shanghai Alice (Better known as ZUN) :p

jokes aside, I agree. At this point the job listings might be red herrings with all we know. GF could had been contracted to work on a another company's franchise (It DOES happen, see Square's involvement with Super Mario RPG for example), they could be making something original or they might be working on two different projects at once (The most likely case outside of Cross platform Stars).

ORAS was made around a year or so, but that's because it was well......idk how to put it.
I am curious to know what you mean there...?

It is well known that the reason why ORAS was made in 1 year is because the entire GF staff developed the game (which speeds up development time considerably), as opposed to only Team B making the game, which was the case with FRLG and HGSS...

Anyway, 1 year development is relatively standard dev time for a remake, give or take a few months.

Third versions take less than a year (Emerald, Crystal, etc)

Sequels take a year and a half (BW2)

So whatever game they are developing, should follow one of those time frames. (if the game is on the 3DS, and more time if the game is on Switch).

Last edited:
I am curious to know what you mean there...

It is well known that the reason why ORAS was made in 1 year is because the entire GF staff developed the game (which boosted up development time considerably), as opposed to only Team B making the game, which was the case with FRLG and HGSS...

Anyway, 1 year development is relatively standard dev time for a remake.

So whatever game they are developing, should follow one of those time frames. (if the game is on the 3DS, and more time if the game is on Switch).

I wouldn't look to far into that sentence. I liked ORAS I just wasn't sure how I wanted to describe it hahaha. Either way I'd say the game currently being developed will have been in development long enough a single person Prolly isn't the biggest thing lol

I'm not sure if this is relevant but isn't June also the time when we get the TCG decks that have both Necrozma and Ho-oh. I know that this is promotion for the movie but there is something for Necrozma in June.

I wouldn't look to far into that sentence. I liked ORAS I just wasn't sure how I wanted to describe it hahaha
Well, from the way you worded it, it sounded like you were implying ORAS was rushed and that's why they developed the game in "only" one year; which, as I said above, is not true. The real reason for ORAS being developed in 1 year is that it was developed by a staff of 100 devs (which is roughly x3 times more people than FRLG, and HGSS, so logically they made ORAS faster that way).

And just for reference, FRLG was also developed in around a year like ORAS, despite being made by a much smaller staff than ORAS.

So yeah, 1 year development is more or less standard for remakes.
Either way I'd say the game currently being developed will have been in development long enough a single person Prolly isn't the biggest thing lol
Agreed. The game is well into development, regardless of what game it is.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if this is relevant but isn't June also the time when we get the TCG decks that have both Necrozma and Ho-oh. I know that this is promotion for the movie but there is something for Necrozma in June.

Is June really when the next Japanese expansion comes out? That feels too soon. I thought July, but you may be right. That said the tcg is a weird thing. It both promotes the games/movies and at the same time doesn't lol

Well, from the way you worded it, it sounded like you were implying ORAS was rushed and that's why they developed the game in "only" one year; which, as I said above, is not true. The real reason for ORAS being developed in 1 year is that it was developed by a staff of 100 devs (which is roughly x3 times more people than FRLG, and HGSS).

Sorry that's not what I meant at all. I was just having a brain fart. I should have clarified what I was saying more. No digs against ORAS here. I liked it a bit, just wasn't sure what I wanted to say and felt like moving on. My bad lol

Some new food for thought:
Nintendo is reportedly boosting production of Switch consoles

So, Nintendo is increasing production to now make 18 million consoles till march '18 : 5 million more than Wii U's lifetime sales. I'd say that it'd be a big risk, since the only true system seller will be Mario Odyssey from what we know (it is highly unlikely that Mario+Rabbids and ARMS will do much) and Splatoon 2 (which will sell much less consoles than Mario).

So, I think they may reveal something at E3 or before that which may increase sales a lot, since it's rather strange decision to produce 18 million consoles when your previous one sold 13 million lifetime. Nintendo must have something up their sleeve, since they've learnt their lesson from Wii U and wouldn't want consoles to collect dust on shelves.

It is well known that the reason why ORAS was made in 1 year is because the entire GF staff developed the game (which speeds up development time considerably), as opposed to only Team B making the game, which was the case with FRLG and HGSS...

Can you give me a quote from GF staff saying only team B made those two remakes?
And Masuda asked Ohmori to direct ORAS in 2012. It's logical to assume ORAS began development that same year.

Source: Post release interview with Masuda on ORAS - Pokémon Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire
Q:There's been a lot of hype for a hypothetical remake of Ruby and Sapphire these last years. The internet was flooded with "Hoenn confirmed" images and you, Mr. Masuda, have been able to see this enthusiasm for yourself with your countless followers on Twitter. We were wondering if all of this had anything to do with your decision to make ORAS a reality.

A: This time we have indeed been influenced by fans and we had planned to make these remakes for some time. November 21 2012, the day of the tenth anniversary of Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire, I decided to assign the role of Game Director to Shigeru Ohmori, it was the first game he worked on as Director since he joined Game Freak.

Anyway, 1 year development is relatively standard dev time for a remake, give or take a few months.

Development times and dates between releases aren't the same things.

Back
Top Bottom