Search results for query: *

1. Beth Pavell

Event Autumn 2023 One-Shot Winners

Well, we're here at last folks! Time for the winners announcements for this year: Best Written (Judge Chosen) Feast of the Wolf, by @airmail Best Use of Theme (Judge Chosen) Night of the Coquecigrue, by @Viridian Beedrill We loved the imaginative worldbuilding in this one! Best Overall...
  2. Beth Pavell

Event Autumn 2023 One-Shot Announcement

It's that time of year again - the Autumn is rapidly approaching, and so it's time for the Hallowe'en one-shot competition The brief explanation is that it will last two months, each entrant gets to write a short story under this theme, and everybody gets a bunch of reviews. For more details...
  3. Beth Pavell

Event February Event: Spread the Love Around!

This February I once again issue my challenge. To you. Yes, you. Go on. Chicken! CHICKEN! From the 10th of this month through to the 17th, I challenge you to write at least one review per day, every day! It doesn't matter who you write them for or for what stories. Just keep the streak going...
  4. Beth Pavell

Event Autumn 2022 One-Shot Winners

Good evening! At long last, we have a winner's list! I have to admit, this year was rather more chaotic than unusual, but we got there in the end, and more importantly, there are plenty of new stories to read and enjoy. I won't bore you with any further flannel: Best Written (Judge chosen)...
  5. Beth Pavell

Event Autumn 2022 One-Shot public vote

It's time! The entries are in, and so from now until the end of the judging period, you can vote for Best Overall Story. As expected, you may not vote for yourself if you've entered - judges can't vote either - but otherwise the choice is yours. Behold, the entries: Weakened Boundaries, by...
  6. Beth Pavell

Event Autumn 2022 One-shot Discussion Thread

The entries are in, the writing begins. Oh, hang on - - that's far more names than I thought I'd have to type. I think I've got a workable plan for my one-shot. There's a good chance I'm going to one-shot myself right in the foot, because I'm going for a style that's completely new to me...
  7. Beth Pavell

Event Autumn 2022 One-shot Competition Announcement

Good September, authors! Announcing our Autumn event this year - a fresh one-shot competition, this year themed for Hallowe'en! The brief explanation is that it will last two months, each entrant gets to write a short story under this theme, and everybody gets a bunch of reviews. For more...
  8. Beth Pavell

Event February Event: Spread the Love Around!

Spread the Love Around 2022 This February for our Winter event, I'm issuing a challenge to all you readers out there! From the 10th of this month through to the 17th, I challenge you to write at least one review per day, every day! It doesn't matter who you write them for or for what stories...
  9. Beth Pavell

The Rising Ape (I will not learn), a Stellaris LP(RP) Blog

Because I do not easily learn. And with the recent Herbert patch, the early gameplay may be shaken up a bit. I find Stellaris is always at its most fun when there's a story to be had from the game. I think the problems that arise are usually when I don't have an idea of where I want the story...
  10. Beth Pavell

The Rising Ape (Third Time's the Charm) - A Stellaris LP Blog

I never quite expected to try this three times. This time I decided to skip the exploration phase entirely - yes, there is a story to be had in that, but I found that noting down what was happening with the Anomalies, etc, was really slowing me down, and I ended up with more than I ever intended...
  11. Beth Pavell

Obsolete: [OLD] Ratings Guide

Mod Note, March 4th, 2024: Please refer to our new Ratings Guide instead of this one!! Here you'll find the rules for adding Ratings to your stories! All story threads must have a Rating tag - either EVERYONE, TEEN, or MATURE. Below you'll find a guide to what each prefix means, along with a...
  12. Beth Pavell

EVERYONE: The Erthe Beyonde

The Erthe Beyonde A story about Arcadia; a story about starting again; a story about hope. Preface Here follows my latest project, an epistolary story based on my playthrough of Stardew Valley. It is therefore rather experimental, of limited appeal, and probably ill-advised - but I hope it...
  13. Beth Pavell

Event Bulbagarden Reviewing Secret Santa 2020

December is now upon us, and that means a month of holiday celebrations! This year, we'd like to celebrate our community's writers by reprising our now-usual (Happily successful) review exchange. In the spirit of giving, those who participate will both give and receive reviews and other creative...
  14. Beth Pavell

TEEN: TEN SECONDS TO MIDNIGHT

TEN SECONDS TO MIDNIGHT OR THE MATTER OF EINORE A Warhammer 40,000 cycle by Beth Pavell Preface My first fanfiction was really Games Workshop fanfiction, stories set in the Warhammer 40,000 universe, or very occasionally, its parent game Warhammer Fantasy. I didn't know the term...
  15. Beth Pavell

Event Summer 2020 Oneshot Competition Public Vote

Hullo everyone! Slightly late but here nonetheless - as the judging continues for competition, now is also the chance for non-judges to vote for their favourite of the Summer oneshots. Here's the full list: Compound Eyes on the Surreal Sky, by Aozora Munchkins and Mythology, by Lightning Topaz...
  16. Beth Pavell

TEEN: MACHINA EST AMOR [Summer 2020 One-shot]

Rated TEEN for implicit and/or infrequent depictions of blood, injury, and/or violent deaths. MACHINA EST AMOR < 0 > Sing, O divine engine, of the pride and folly of man, that pride which struck down the valiant princeps for his hubris and brought disaster upon the Legio Alastor. Thus were...
  17. Beth Pavell

Trope of the Month September: Antiheroes

Antiheroes - the character archetype everyone feels they're familiar with, but nobody manages to satisfactorily define. To give one attempt at a definition, antiheroes are the characters you're supposed to root for but are flawed in some major way. The flaws in their heroism vary, but in any...
  18. Beth Pavell

Trope of the Month July: Accents and Dialects

Accent and dialect - often a contentious subject in fiction. There's a tension between writing prose that is easy to comprehend, and writing evocative and/or authentic prose. But first, some terminology. Accent refers to how language is pronounced, whereas dialect refers to the words, phrases...
  19. Beth Pavell

Trope of the Month May: Tournament Arcs

Ah, the tournament. One plot trope anyone who reads Pokémon fanfiction wouldn't be surprised to see. We've had a recent thread talking about this trope, but I felt it could do with dedicated focus this month. I suspect the tournament arc is more often thought about than written. It's the...
  20. Beth Pavell

COMPLETE: Trainers of Fanfiction 2020

The Writers Workshop A community event focused around your characters! Welcome to the May 2020 edition of Trainers of Fanfiction (And the third consecutive year we've run this event)! For those of you unaware of what this is, Trainers of Fanfiction is a community event that focuses on the...
Back
Top Bottom