• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW051: Satoshi, Dent VS Subway Masters!

Musashi

Clap Clap
Reaction score
Satoshi, Dent VS Subway Masters!

Animation - Team Kato
Screenplay - Shinzō Fujita
Storyboard - Shigeru Ueda
Assistant director - Shigeru Ueda
Animation director - Tomohiro Koyama

Sightseeing after Satoshi's gym battle, Dent collects stamps to try and win a battle against the Subway Twins! Meanwhile, Satoshi and Iris find a stray Kibago...

Re: 050 "Satoshi, Dent VS Subway Masters!" Review Thread

Wow, what a boring episode. The title was almost a misnomer.

They might as well have called it "Ash, Iris, and Cilan waste time trying to reunite a Trainer and her Pokemon and then Ash and Cilan lose a battle."

There wasn't even that much Ingo and Emmet....

Also, @Musashi this is episode 51, not 50.

Last edited:

Man, why was this episode called Ash and Cilan VS The Subway Masters?! It was mostly about that lost Axew... and that wasn't even a bad thing! Only thing I'll think was bad was how the title didn't match over half of the story xD

Pretty unremarkable ep imo, though the little moments made it worthwhile, I thought. I personally found the sightseeing scenes with Ash and Iris surprisingly adorable, and kind of wish we could have got an entire episode dedicated to the group and their 'mons just having fun around the theme parks and what-not.
Dent's unbridled enthusiasm was also quite humorous, as per usual.

Battle was mediocre at best, but seeing as that's become BW's trademark, I can't say I expected anything spectacular in the first place.

Wow, what a boring episode. The title was almost a misnomer.

They might as well have called it "Ash, Iris, and Cilan waste time trying to reunite a Trainer and her Pokemon and then Ash and Cilan lose a battle."

There wasn't even that much Ingo and Emmet....

Also, @Musashi this is episode 51, not 50.

We knew the episode wasn't going to be like that, it was going to about sightseeing, helping the girl and ending in a battle, we knew it from the start, what sense doesn't it make to whine about something you knew about already?

We got a shitload of twins time already a 4 minute battle is more then enough, plus two more minutes of talking.

The figh itself was pretty nice.

They got appearances like in 5 or 6 episodes, I don't think they need more time at all.

Ok, my thoughts:

- I've gotta hand it to the writers, they certainly did a great job of showing off Raimon City. We got to see pretty much every single city landmark during its time on the show - the Ferris Wheel, the Sports Stadiums, the Musical Hall, the Subway... I wish other cities got this much exposure (although I understand most of them don't have as much notable about that).
- Wow, what a misleading title. The show was more about the lost Kibago than the actual battle. The twins didn't actually appear that much.
- Collecting stamps to win a battle with the twins... I can buy that. Makes more sense than having a bunch of people standing on the train waiting for a challenger.
- The Musical appeared for less than a minute. Almost all of it was seen in the previews of this episode. Still, no wonder the writers didn't give it it's own episode. There's clearly not that much to do with it. Pokemon just dance about on stage.
- Boo! We didn't get to see Iris and Dent in their costumes from the preview pics (yet strangely, Satoshi did wear his).
- BTW, the preview pictures lied. Chillaccino did not appear in this episode. Actually, there were no debuts at all.
- Iris's idea to find Kibago's trainer was to put its paw print onto a subway stamp sheet and draw a picture of the Ferris Wheel... seriously, she couldn't write down where she was going. In fact, why didn't she and Satoshi go straight to the twins to see if a lost Kibago had been reported... Dent was the one who saw sense and did then when he met the girl (did anyone catch her name).
- The battle between Satoshi and Dent and the twins was all right. I liked how the subway's infrastructure was used by Yanappu.
- When the Best Wishes music started, I actually started to believe Satoshi and Dent might actually get a win. I forgot this show hates Satoshi winning non-Gym Battles. Of course, the twins won.
- I liked the final scene on the Ferris Wheel. Seemed like a nice way to bid farewell to Raimon City.
- The music for the Live Caster changed. This week the featured Pokemon was Mooland. But come on, the Live Caster sucks! Same old animation of Okido-Hakase behind a desk talking. Bring back the lecture, please!
- Next week: Satoshi battles Adeku. He probably loses again.

So there, this episode was ok. Nice setting, the lost Kibago plot was all right but man I wish the battle had been longer. Or at least ended differently. Satoshi has been made to look pretty weak lately.

This was...alright. While I liked all the scenes by themselves, they didn't really combine well enough to make a coherent episode. It feels more like they tried to cram the plots of three separate episodes into one, and all three plots suffered because of it.

WatcherMark said:
- Iris's idea to find Kibago's trainer was to put its paw print onto a subway stamp sheet and draw a picture of the Ferris Wheel... seriously, she couldn't write down where she was going.

If this had been a Kanto episode, she would have written a note in plain Japanese. But since that was outlawed a long time ago, everyone is forced to communicate with each other using rebuses instead.

- When the Best Wishes music started, I actually started to believe Satoshi and Dent might actually get a win.

I actually like it when the producers of the TV show does that because it makes the battle stand out more.

Well, this was a pointless and boring episode. It's like, why did this episode have to exist? Why did it have to touch my senses with its blandness?

But Pokabu was in it, so I liked the episode. Because I am just that shallow.

Also, it was nice to see Luke Elena again, even though he she didn't really do much.

If this had been a Kanto episode, she would have written a note in plain Japanese. But since that was outlawed a long time ago, everyone is forced to communicate with each other using rebuses instead.

I'm surprised they didn't use the fakey made up language instead...

A boring episode this week. While it did have some good moments like the musical part, the tittle really hyped up a battle that was really boring, imo. Oh well...

Wow, what a misleading title! The Nobori/Kudari battle only lasted like 12 seconds. This is an example of why writers shouldn't cram two episode ideas into one.

I expected that the battle will only last 3-4 minutes of the episode.

Also as I expected, Cilan wasn't watching that Pokemon Musical.

I liked the part where Erina's Axew thought that her "trainer" replaced her with a Swadloon, causing Iris's Emolga to electrocute everybody on the train.

Sorely disappointed with this episode, though I was sure to keep my expectations low for this one. They even reused Dento's tasting time animation. It's a travesty.

The CotD plot wasn't really that intriguing. Maybe it would have been more so if either kibago or Erina had interesting personalities, but they were both very stock.

I will admit, I was really liking Dento's strategy of swinging on the railings to attack at random points, but it was short lived and unsuccessful :/
Ferris Wheel scene at the end was beautiful, though I wish it was just the trio. The presence of CotD kinda sullied the moment for me, sorry XD

EDIT: On a positive note, we didn't get to see Iris and Dento in the musical together *phew* my shipping lives to see another day!

Wow, what a misleading title! The Nobori/Kudari battle only lasted like 12 seconds. This is an example of why writers shouldn't cram two episode ideas into one.

4 minutes.

THis episode had cute moments but it wasn't remarkable. I like that Ash and Iris were playing Tennis because Tennis is my favorite sport! XP

You know one of the little things I enjoy about Best Wishes? All the Pokémon we see in the background of towns and cities. It's a welcome touch. Oh, Cilan, you so crazy! Never change. Love the 'come on, guys, let's go! Guys? ...Guys?' look he's sporting before the title card. So, nine stamps by 10am? I wonder if that's fast. Iris sure loves her football, huh? Anyone for tennis? Hehehe, Pikachu and Axew doing the ol' looking-left-then-right-then-left-etc thing. Tennis ain't complete without it. Interesting that Ash wields the racket with both hands. Oh! Look who got hit by the ball! Ouch! D'aww, Pika and Axew shaking hands.

Musical time! Oshawott is star-struck. Someone's a fan of the theatre. Uh-oh, did the Pokémon just change Ash on stage? Good thing they surrounded him. Anyhoo, ah, such cuteness on the stage. Outside, enter the girl Axew. And Iris with ice-creams. Lookit how little the Pokémons' ice-creams are! Back to Cilan, who's got 35 stamps down and runs into the girl Axew's Trainer. We don't see sailor fuku often in this show. Is Emolga really a good idea, Iris? I forsee trouble... Speaking of trouble, girl Axew clings to a girl's skirt. Lucky that her Trainer spots her just as the train rushes by. Not so lucky is the facefull of String Shot by that Swadloon. That attack always looks wrong, doesn't it?

Enter Emolga! Here comes the shocking trouble...which results in the group getting kicked off the train. It's good to see consequences happen to heroes, instead of getting off scot-free on everything. Huh, that's an interesting way to leave a note. God, I miss the days when we had a real written language in show... Stuff happens, now it's quarter to 4. There's more stuff happening, girl Axew is reunited with her Trainer. Oh noes, Cilan's missing one stamp! Le gasp! But things work out fine, battle happens, Ash and Cilan lose, Ferris wheel ride, fin.

I was concerned that this episode would try to cram in so much that it would end up falling kinda short. I wish I was wrong... Lousy magazine embellishing things...where's the Cinccino? Where's Iris and Cilan's fancy outfits? Ah well, it did what it could. And at least we had Ash all dressed up!

Very misleading title, but it was great to see Ash and Iris have fun around Nimbasa City, and we actually get to see what a Pokemon Musical looks like. I loled at Oshawott's gaga-face and Ash dancing with Gothitelle, and it sorta went without saying that Emmet and Ingo would come out on top.

It seems to me, though, that the major focus of the episode was more around that female Axew. I did like seeing Emolga out and about again and still getting in trouble because she's a little brat.

To me, considering the true plot of the episode, I'd call it, in English "Oh Where, Oh Where Has My Axew Gone?" or "Nimbasa, Nimbasa" (New York, New York) XD Not a bad episode, but very misleading.

At least the Subway Bros. already had their moment in the sun in the Subway/Rocket episodes.

They're so damn popular, I'd say there's a chance of them appearing again. Tubeline Bridge, anyone?

Meh, episode overall. The battles wasn't all that great, but that's what I've come to expect from BW so far. The CoTD was pretty bland as well.

I for one was hoping to see Ash, and Iris pull some Prince of Tennis shenanigans while they were playing. It wouldn't have made any sense, but still been awesome.

I didn't dislike this episode actually. But I didn't really like it either.

Good Points

+ Dent. NEVER CHANGE XD He was just hilarious and sweet throughout (except when he went a little dark in the battle :p) but he was just brilliant here.

+ That one girl's Kurumayu. Wow, in less than 10 seconds, it's more memorable than Satoshi's and kinda redeems the species... XD

+ Raimon City. I loved that the city felt unique and totally had a feel to it, contrary to the generic filler town that was Hiun City, and that we got to follow the gang playing tourist.

Lukewarm points

+ The battle. The sad thing is that this is one of the better battles of BW despite being nowhere near the DP standards. The good thing is, it allowed us to see something unique from Yanappu, who had so many cute moments in this episode. I also like that it allowed us to see some progress when it came to the reason Dent is traveling with Satoshi. Dent chose Yanappu despite knowing that both his other pokémon were better choices type wise, but he went with Yanappu, his vintage, with whom he has the best bond, subtly picking up on the point made by the episode last week and highlighting that he's trying to incorporate more of Satoshi's style into his own. I just wish it had been set up properly, that this episode had been about Dent and Satoshi, and on the former stating those things, and commenting on his progress.

Bad Points

- Iris. Not only was she really dull today, but this episode highlighted the tendency the writers have show to derail episodes into Iris episodes. This almost felt like the writers had planned for an episode that focused on Dent and Satoshi and culminated into a battle vs the Subway master, but still wanted to give Iris something to do, only to make the Iris subplot the main plot, which robbed the battle of the context and meaning it could have had. All for Iris being bland and showing once again that she's already possesses the ability to understand dragons, and therefore that she's already got all it takes to be a Dragon Master, which begs the question, "What is she even doing here?" yet again. The Iris scenes were just uninteresting and took away from what could've been a great episode.

- CotD and PotD. Both were dull.

- Ferris Wheel scene. Iris, Erina and Kibagos, gtfo... that is all...

Overall, two episodes in one. One Dent-centric that rocked but was ultimately over-shadow and hampered by a sucky Iris-centric filler. Meh.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom