• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SOVA Organization

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pie

Dead Again
Reaction score
I feel Save Our Voice Actors deserves its own thread for the supporters of the campaign to discuss what they've done and what to do next. Hence, making a Club thread here on Bulbagarden just generally seemed like a good idea.

For those who don't know what SOVA is, I recommend you visit the website.

One ground rule, which hopefully should be self-explanatory:

People who support the SOVA campaign, even if only a little, are welcomed and encouraged to join in the discussion. People who only have doubts and criticism for the campaign are not welcome, and I recommend you to the website's rebuttal page. If you have an argument that isn't responded to sufficiently by the rebuttal, then please feel free to bring it up - in a PM, or on another thread.

With that said...

Since we already have ways for people involved to help early on, our top goal right now should be to spread the word as far and wide as we can. The more people we have involved in the SOVA campaign, the higher the chances of success. When there's lots of support and lots of people spreading the word, then we can all move on to expanding the ways in which the people involved can take action to let 4Kids know they are against the chance in voice actors.

So - we have plenty of banners with people still making more, I'm working on a flyer to be handed out at conventions and anime clubs and the like, I'm seeking potential supporters and e-mailing them - what else should we do? Any big sites we could tell about this which would tell a lot of people about what we're doing?

Well, I'm a member of the forums on G4.

They have an anime forum on there for the show Anime Unleashed (they don't really discuss the show at all, they just post different anime-related topics on there).

So I could make a thread on there informing people about SOVA and the current situation with the VAs.

And I am also a member of Nintendo's forums too, so I could probably start a thread on there as well.

The online petition hits 300 signitures!

Also, it *might* not be a good idea that nintendo knows it because you're will get in trouble. (Pokémon USA is part of Nintendo, btw)

I fulfilled your request PTL:

save_dub3.png

Yeah, you're right, Alyssa Picariello.

Maybe I shouldn't post anything on Nintendo's forums then......

And by the way, Pie, I didn't get a chance to email you the rest of those VA emails yesterday.

So now that we have our own thread for this, do you want me to just post them here cause that would be easier, or what?

Personally, I see nothing wrong with being up-front about this and having Nintendo and Pokémon USA know about this. Why? I'm trying to downplay the idea some people have that Pokémon USA is our enemy and we're trying to fight them. Our goal is not to 'beat' them, it's to change their minds. If we make this quite clear, it's going to make our campaign much more effective - we oppose their plan to change the voice actors, but we don't oppose them.

Swifty - I'm tempted to ask you for a Brock one, but I'm not sure if his hand would be recognizable since it doesn't have a glove. =P Adding that one to the site, though...

Lisa - Yes, that would be great. =D

Okay, Pie. ^^

Now I just need to copy/paste the rest of the emails on here.

And you still have the other ones I gave you, right?

Swifty said:

save_dub3.png
OMG!!

Yay!

Thank you so much, Swifty!!!! ^_^

And I am so adding that to my sig now. XD

I just need to figure out how to fix my sig so that I have room for the banner......

Well, it wouldn't be bad if you provided those again, too, since I'm having trouble remembering where I save those. ^^o

Swifty said:

save_dub3.png

Nice, and it will give a better image to people. Do you really want a new voice actor to do Ash? I wouldn't think so. ;)

Okay, Pie.

It took me a while, but I finally gathered all the VAs' emails. ^^

So, here they are, going from earliest to latest:

PokemonTrainerLisa said:
Well, guess what?

Veronica Taylor replied back to me today, and she said that I could post the information.

Here's her reply to the first email that I sent:

-------------------------------------------------------

Lisa-
Thanks for your email. We actually don't know yet what will be happening with the show for next season. We are waiting to hear if Pokemon USA will resign contracts with 4kids. If they choose to go elsewhere the voices will most likely change as we are under contract with 4kids and not Pokemon USA. Everyone involved with the show would be extremely upset if this should happen. We are hoping that it will all be resolved soon.
We'll see.....
Wishing you all the best and Happy New Year!
Veronica

-------------------------------------------------------

And this is what she said when I asked her if it was okay to share the information:

--------------------------------------------------------

Lisa-
Feel free to share the info. Who knows, maybe the fans' input could even sway Pokemon USA to resign! As of now, we have no news.
All the best,
Veronica

---------------------------------------------------------

Habunake said:
On his guestbook

Name: eric Stuart
E-mail address: [email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>
Homepage URL: http://
Comments: URGENT: IT SEEMS THAT POKEMON USA IS IT'S INFINITE GREED HAS DECIDED TO TAKE POKEMON AND RE-CAST ALL OF THE ORIGINAL STARS TO SAVE MONEY. THEY PLAN ON RECORDING A 10 YEAR ANNIVERSARY SPECIAL WITH ALL NEW ACTORS AS WELL AS DOING THE NEXT SEASON WITH NEW ACTORS. THEY FEEL THAT THE VOICES DON'T MATTER AND THAT TAJ PRODUCTIONS CAN DO THE SAME QUALITY OF WORK THAT 4 KIDS HAS DONE.

WRITE THE WB-WRITE THE FAN SITES. 4 KIDS TRIED TO SAVE THE SHOW BUT POKEMON USA IS MORE INTERESTED IN THEIR WALLETS THAN THE QUALITY OF THE SHOW. THE FANS MUST SPEAK UP!!!!!

ARE YOUR READY FOR A NEW ASH, BROCK, MAY, MAX, JAMES, JESSIE AND MEOWTH?!!!

PPNSteve on the Pokémon Community Forums - Eric Stuart reply via email said:
Pokemon USA has decided that it's too expensive to use 4Kids and the
actors that have made Pokemon the TV show such a success for the last
10 years. They have 'behind our backs' re-cast the show with
'sound-a-likes' to try to save money. They acutally believe the fans
don't care. They are starting with the 10 year anniversary
special-starring all new voices. The main cast, me included, has taken
a lot of pride in the characters we have helped to create. To change
now, on the last season, based on greed is a sad example of what big
buisness kids marketing really is.

Please spread the word-maybe some fan buzz can stop this tragedy.

Eric 'Brock & James" Stuart

It's kinda obvious which VA WPM spoke to here:

Water Pokemon Master said:
It's too late for anything now. Things are already in place, and from talking to a source *cough cough cough*, 4Kids couldn't care less about the VAs and won't even let them go over to PUSA's side. It's all about money, and from *cough cough cough's* view, 4Kids is a corrupt company anyways who couldn't care less about what they dub, but about what they make.

Don't ask me who *cough cough cough* is, either.

Unregistered said:
---------- Forwarded message ----------
To: [email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 09:41:03 EST
Subject: Re: Pokémon to be Recasted?

Hey Scott-
Unfortunately, this is very real. We have been informed that Pokemon USA has already made plans to do the Anniversary special with substitute voices. Apparently, they haven't made a firm decision on the next season yet. None of us have been formally asked to do the show, we've simply been told we'll be replaced. Pokemon USA has made no effort to negotiate with 4kids, simply feeling that getting a cheaper rate to dub the show is enough. They care nothing for the quality. They will be using new script writers, voices, music, etc. We (the voice actors and those at 4kids who work so hard on the show) are all extremely upset as we care very much for Pokemon and what we've worked to create. However, there is nothing that we can do. It seems that the only recourse is for fans to write to Pokemon USA and tell them how wrong their decision is and how it will adversely affect the show.

Thanks for your concern. Please spread the word and let's all try to work together to right this wrong before it's too late.

Veronica

To quote directly from an emailed response to MidnightScott.

PPNSteve said:
the other day i sent Veronica Taylor (forwarded the Eric Stuart emails) an email message asking for her thoughts and if she can confirm this as well.. tonight i recieved her reply:

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] <mailto:[email protected]> [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Thursday, March 23, 2006 18:05
To: [email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>
Subject: Re: FW: The PokéCommunity Forums Contact Us Form - Pokemon Urgent news

hey Steve-
Thanks for your note. Unfortunately this is all too true. Pokemon USA recently informed us that they are dubbing the Anniversary special with sound alikes. They are not sure about the next season. None of us (actors, script writers, etc.) have even been asked to continue working on the show. They have not even attempted to negotiate with 4kids. They say that the show will be exactly the same even though they are replacing all the elements and using all new people totally unfamiliar with the project. We are all extremely upset about this turn of events as we care so much about the show and have no say in the matter whatsoever. I am hoping that if enough people write to Pokemon USA and express their dismay, we may right this wrong before it is too late! Spread the word!
Thanks for your concern.
Veronica

PokemonTrainerLisa said:
And remember when I said I had sent Veronica Taylor an email, asking if she would allow me to post her email on here?

Well, this is what she said to me:

----------------------------------------

Lisa-
You are incredible! I'm sure you have many more important things to do in your life than think constantly of Pokemon, but thanks! Actually, posting info (and my letter) is a great idea. I think that if we can get people to write to Pokemon USA and express their dismay, maybe they will change their minds. At least we will have all tried our best, right? Thanks again!!!
Veronica

------------------------------------------

And I was very surprised that she actually called me incredible!! O_O

I mean, wow, she must've really liked that email I sent her!!!!

Of course, I did mention all the ways that I would help her (and the other VAs) get their jobs back on Pokemon.

I think I must've given her some much needed hope in this sad situation.

Last edited:
I have posted all the content to the LJ community (copied over and sourced). Anyways, better start working on the theme for the LJ. ;)

Okay, I put the banner in my sig. ^^

Although, I believe I should probably put a link to the SOVA site in my sig as well......

*goes back to fix sig*

Thanks, Lisa. All added to the Situation page.

Some people got some nerves going against our campaign... I found this in someone's sig at SPPf.

savethedub9xq.png

I guess they have alot of time on their hands. :|

Last edited:
Pie said:
Thanks, Lisa. All added to the Situation page.
Aww, you're welcome, Pie. ^^

I'm was glad to help. :)

And by the way, if you need help with anything else, feel free to ask.

Now I'm happy with my letter, I just need to set it out nicely in a word document and print it off three times to send it to the three addresses we have :3 So I should send them off around Monday/Tuesday time this week.

I've been trying to spread the word to the online community via my various accounts at places. Put a notice on my sites hiatus page, notes on my journal, my accounts at both DA and Sheezy Art, I even decided to hit a none Pokémon community by posting a topic on the Janime Yugioh forums, which has tons of members, I know there's a lot of Pokémon fans there, mostly people seemed devastated by the news but I got a few arguments back on it >>;

I also told my mum about the situation yesterday, she's not a fan but recognizes the show. My dad had already given me his opinion when he found the draft of my letter laying around. (To which his reply was pretty much "Do they really think they'll listen to you?") but my dads a terrible pessimist so I decided to get my mums opinion and she agreed that we might as well take action on it. It's amazing how opinions differ between people XD I'm glad at least one of my parents is supportive of that I'm trying to do >_o

You should probably add the counterpoint that the letters will go straight in the bin to the rebuttal page. I'm thinking of something along the lines that they can ignore one letter, but not hundreds.

I'm totally supporting this movement all the way, I can't make banners or anything sadly, but I hope I can do something to help (Besides signing petitions and boosting morale with my rap, in my sig)

PDU: You posted this on Janime! I'm on the board too (I'm Don Patch, btw their). And most of the people seem to hate the GX dub relentlessly, and 4Kids. I'm surprised their are people supporting the 4Kids VA's (Although I have heard people say Pokemon is the only good 4kids dub)

These are stats charts on how many signatures total and how many in a given time/date. It might be inaccurate, but it seemed to dip at March 25 at 8:25 PM.

Enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom