• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S15 EP07: Scraggy and the Demanding Gothita!

garrison-san

someone in the dark
Reaction score
BW055 - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia

Ash and friends encounter a trainer named Katharine who is constantly being manipulated by her bratty Gothita. When Gothita takes a liking toward Ash's Scraggy, it tries to push Katharine into trading one of her other pokemon for the Shedding pokemon. Ash rejects the offer, but is finally persuaded to a battle with Katharine to determine the outcome. Will Ash lose Scraggy, and will the Gothita ever learn to show some respect?

This episode is an oasis in a drought of what are a string of mediocre pokemon outings imo. Between the bromance, the pokemon training the trainer and a Totoro shout-out, there's a lot to love here.

Garb-odor. I didn't notice that. I've been pronouncing it differently. It's nice to see the pokes get some focus. Oh dear, a title drop. :p

Wow, that Gothita is such a kid.

Edit: I think my fox avatar makes this comment look creepier than originally intended.

Ahhhhh! I was listening and thought, "Man, Katharine sounds like Jirachi from M06. But that was made under 4kids, so that's not very likely at all." then the credits were all, "WE DON'T CARE, CAUSE IT IS JIRACHI!" and I was all, "OOHHHH!!!! <33" and stuff.

In non-crazy speech: I'm really happy Kerry is back. :) Really, she has a lovely voice. Casey, Jirachi, and all the others. The former two being some characters close to my heart. I really hope we see more of her. Thank you TPCi. Thank you for bringing her back.

Wow, Garbodor is... massive. Until now I thought they were half that height.

Anyway, I was surprised by this episode. It was actually a pretty good episode despite being another filler. There was enough action and story to keep me interested the whole time. However I am very ready for the actual plot to start moving along again.

Soon enough, soon enough Enzap. The gap between Nimbasa and Driftveil is much smaller than the gap between Castelia and Nimbasa. Only a few more episodes now. :)

It took me until the second half of the episode, but I finally realized... I'm hearing Casey's voice again.

I didn't realize that Gothita demanded (ah, as the title shows) its trainer to trade something for Scraggy until watching the dub. I can related to Iris' question in that it is tough to determine who the real trainer of the two is. What a spoiled Pokemon.

Gothita is funny. He should have chosen Oshawott because he looked cute jumping around like that, and it made me sad to see him sad when he didn't get chosen. :( Great episode. I can't wait until they get to Driftveil City. I've been pronouncing Garbodor's name wrong. I always though it was like garb-OH-door.

Last edited:
If anyone asks me, that Gothita totally got what she deserved when Snivy gave her a well deserved spanking.

That being said, Garbodor was awesome and Katherine was super cute. I hope she trades Gothita for something else.

There was plenty for me to admire in this episode:
*I loved the brotherly relationship between Scraggy and Axew
*Snivy was so boss with her Mama Bear attitude
*Garbodor's voice was just perfect for the kind of Pokemon it is
*Axew's nightmare was just hilarious

"Snivy saves the day" In my opinion that's the perfect sentence to describe this week's episode. I mean, the rest was rather standard and not very exciting but I did love how Snivy is so superior to anyone else. I love it because it reminds me of Cynthia and if you take a close look at Snivy's eyes, you'll realize that they look just like Cynthia's eyes and that Snivy even has the same expression on her face as the Queen of Pokemon.

What I didn't like, though, was the fact that the battles felt pretty forced and predictable. Of course, it had already been clear right from the start that Ash would win.
And what happened to Gothita's last Psyshock attack? It seems it just disappeared because we didn't see Snivy dodge it.

Also, the pronunciation of Gothita's name was inconsistent. Katharine , Ash and the others pronounced it Go-THI-ta, while the Pokemon itself said "GO-thi-ta"

Yeah, the pronunciation of Gothita surprised me and sounded wrong. I'd also been pronouncing Garbodor wrong, but it makes a lot more sense the way the anime pronounced it than how I was. If I didn't suck at trying to explain things phonetically, I'd try and give examples, but you'll just have to wait for the audio version of this post.

Even ignoring the odd pronunciation, Gothita's voice made this episode really tough to watch, despite the brilliant Axew and Scraggy scenes, 'Gothimu' is surely close enough to not dub over? Horribly annoying.

Ash annoyed me in falling for the 'maybe you're afraid' line for the 100th time. How about "I care more about my Pokemon than to have them fight over a thing like this"*. One of the early points the anime made was that Pokemon shouldn't be used in arguments between people. It's massive pressure to put on Tepig too - sure it was extremely confident, but considering Tepig's backstory was as a Pokemon abused and released by its trainer for not being good enough, why would you pick it as the one to defend Scraggy against being released?

Axew should have stepped up and dragon raged all the things! Then lost and had its heart broken before Ash steps up and uses Pikachu like he should have done from the start.

Of course, as with my complaint last week - Ash is being made excessively stupid in order to advance the plot. There are ways to write these episodes that don't make out Ash to be totally idiotic and reckless - yet every week he is being made to make stupid choices and actions to set up failure. I don't know why Snivy puts up with it.

*or - "I have 30 Tauros - but when someone wanted to trade me for just one, I said no".

Snivy really acts like the mother-like figure she is in this episode. Protecting the other Pokemon, helping them avoid Garbodor's attacks. Tepig really battled well against Madibuzz. It was nice to see him win after not winning a battle for quite some time. Gothita commanding her trainer instead of the other way around was very different and amusing to watch. It seems like Katherine cannot command her own Pokemon and needs Gothita's help each time. Gothita's facial reactions were hilarious.

I liked Axew's dream where Gothita was gigantic and holding Katherine in his/her hand. It seems Axew knew who was wearing the pants in that relationship.

I wish we had more meaningful appearences from Snivy, she's just.....awe-inspiring. I hope that she gets to evolve all the way this series, I just can't see her staying a Snivy for much longer.

I couldn't tell if Gothita had a crush on Scraggy, or did (s)he just really like him as a friend so (s)he could stare at Scraggy....or wut?

I liked Axew's dream where Gothita was gigantic and holding Katherine in his/her hand. It seems Axew knew who was wearing the pants in that relationship.
I wish we had more meaningful appearences from Snivy, she's just.....awe-inspiring. I hope that she gets to evolve all the way this series, I just can't see her staying a Snivy for much longer.
I couldn't tell if Gothita had a crush on Scraggy, or did (s)he just really like him as a friend so (s)he could stare at Scraggy....or wut?

By her reactions to seeing Scraggy, and the look in her eyes; She seemed to really like scraggy (crush). That's why she was fighting to keep them together on the same team.

I didn't realize that Gothita demanded (ah, as the title shows) its trainer to trade something for Scraggy until watching the dub. I can related to Iris' question in that it is tough to determine who the real trainer of the two is. What a spoiled Pokemon.

I guess that explains that little bit of Axew's nightmare where Katherine is a fraction of Gothita's size, and it looked kinda like she was hanging off Gothita on strings or something. That probably meant that Gothita was the puppet master and Katherine was the marionette. Just outta curiosity, have we ever seen that before on Pokemon, where the Pokemon was controlling the trainer?

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom