• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW076: The Fierce Fighting at Spiral Mountain! Abagoura's Miracle!! (Part 2)

Iteru

Something
Reaction score
The Fierce Fighting at Spiral Mountain! Abagoura's Miracle!! (Part 2)

Animation - Team Kato
Screenplay - Shinzō Fujita
Storyboard - Kazuomi Koga
Assistant director - Kazuomi Koga
Animation director - Kunihiko Natsume

In Spiral Mountain, a warp in time and space exists known as the "Gate of Time." The Rocket-Dan plan to use this gate to travel back to the past and capture a bunch of the pokemon there, but they need the help of "Prototurtle Pokemon" Protoga in order to do this. Unfortunately for them, the pokemon ran off into a nearby forest as soon as it was revived! Can Satoshi and his friends protect the Protoga from the Rocket-Dan's continuous assaults? And why is the Protoga glowing like that...

Team Rocket;
Use Zeger's cube forcefield thing to trap 3 Abagohra
One Abagohra destroys it

Protagonists;
Fight Team Rocket with 2 pokemon
Let Abagohra call for back-up, despite the fact they have 10 other pokemon with them.

In any case, I'm glad this is over. CoTD that was impossible to give a rat's arse about, and a pretty standard 'Team Rocket tries to steal some shit' plot. This story was definitely not something worth a double bill imo.

My opinion? A whole lotta "meh". Just like the other two Rocket Specials.

Eh, it was decent, but I expected more from this 2-parter. It all boiled down to the usual TR-stealing-stuff-then-fails plot. I was expecting something more innovative.

In any case, I'm glad this is over. CoTD that was impossible to give a rat's arse about, and a pretty standard 'Team Rocket tries to steal some shit' plot. This story was definitely not something worth a double bill imo.

Couldn't agree more. Especially the CoTD almost bored me to death. I liked the Subway Two-Parter but any other TR-centric episode thus far has been far from amazing.
Even a single episode would have been boring, but a two-parter?

This is why I dislike time travel plotlines; they become too complicated in the end.

The Tirtouga that Fujio befriended in the past was revived from a fossil in the previous episode. This meant that it was a Tirtouga before the pokemon fossilized. The Tirtouga has evolved into a Carracosta during this episode, and it decided to go back to its own time at the end of this episode. The pokemon would have been fossilized as a Carracosta, not as a Tirtouga. If it were to be revived in the present due to Team Rocket's machine, it would have been a Carracosta instead.

This meant that this episode overrided everything that happened during the previous episode.

If it were not for this one oversight, I would have said that this was a decent episode.

This is why I dislike time travel plotlines; they become too complicated in the end.

The Tirtouga that Fujio befriended in the past was revived from a fossil in the previous episode. This meant that it was a Tirtouga before the pokemon fossilized. The Tirtouga has evolved into a Carracosta during this episode, and it decided to go back to its own time at the end of this episode. The pokemon would have been fossilized as a Carracosta, not as a Tirtouga. If it were to be revived in the present due to Team Rocket's machine, it would have been a Carracosta instead.

This meant that this episode overrided everything that happened during the previous episode.
Heck, I've only seen pics of this episode and I could see this. Then again, perhaps that pre-fossil Tirtouga is still in the past and each time loop results in another Carracosta going to the past, thus eventually culminating in infinite copies of -- ah, stuff it. I'm not sure if there's even a right way to go about time travel, but I know this ain't it.

Haven't had a chance to see this yet, but I wonder how different you guys would feel if these two episodes *weren't* labeled as a two-parter. Like, if part one was called "The Fierce Fighting at Spiral Mountain! Protoga's Miracle!" and then part two was "Escape into the Forest! Protect Abagoura!!" or something like that?

I kind of get the feeling that people wouldn't feel so...underwhelmed?...by these episodes if they weren't labeled the way that they were.

Out of the three two-parters we've had so far in BW, I liked this one better than the Kami Trio episodes but less than the Subway episodes. I did like that Koromori and Desumasu got to do plenty of battling, and Desumasu got a new attack to boot... although I was wishing like hell Koromori would get a new attack as well as I am way over Musashi constantly calling for Gust and Air Slash.

But yeah, this was an ok two-parter but it could have easily been a single episode... guess giving them two-parters is the only way the writers can justify Team Rocket's existence in the anime now.

One question : which water attack has been used by Caracosta and Tirotuga ? water gun, scald or hydro pump! Cause Oshawott saw these attacks hopefully he exchanges water gun for scald.

Why is that every episode where Team Rocket appear has to be 2 patter now ???
Because of this stupid 2 patter episode , I have to wait until next weak to see the Tepig episode !
At least , I hope for upcoming episode's preview & spoiler at the end of this episode but there was nothing.
At least I could see some of Ash upcoming battle against Homika there !!!

I was bored/very bored. This episode just lacked flavor. Usually, there's that one thing that makes me smile or care, even in the really boring episode, but not this time. This was just uninteresting.

Having rewatched the episode, I really enjoyed the brief part where Fujio ran through the time hole and we saw brief images of his past with Protoga and Abagoura (with the 'Wrapped Up in Light' remix from the Zoroark movie playing). Maybe the animators were just trying to show off, but I liked that way more than I thought I would seeing it again.

Also, I noticed in this episode and the last that whenever Koromori is sent out of its Poke Ball the energy takes on a heart shape before revealing the Poke Ball (something that I noticed with Kokoromori in the past). Has that always been there, or just used recently?

I'm sick to death of Okido-Hakase's Live Caster now, with the same old boring animation every time. Enough Generation V Pokemon have debuted by now, can we please have him doing something stupid to provoke them and get attacked like the good old days.

Well, this episode more or less lived up to my expectations. Which is to say, it was a sucktastic waste of time. Pokemon should just steer clear of time travel plots in regular episodes, period.

The episodes were rather lackluster, it was just a generic "Team Rocket steals crap and fails" plot, and included a character of the day that was just so boring and generic, it wasn't any better than the Kami Trio episodes at all.

And seriously, a naturally occurring time-travel portal that's existence is never explained, even for the Pokemon franchise, that is unrealistic. I'd have to give both episodes a 1/10 for their lackluster writing

I will agree that these eps were extremely lacking. I at least found merit in the other two TR two parters, but this is flipping lazy. I hope they do better next time.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom