• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S15 EP28: A Restoration Confrontation! Part 2

Iteru

Something
Reaction score
BW76 - A Restoration Confrontation! (Part 2)

Pokémon Official Site said:
The incredible conclusion to Ash’s latest adventures gets under way with the ancient Pokémon Tirtouga escaping! It’s a wild chase through the maze-like caverns of Twist Mountain, with Team Rocket also in hot pursuit of the panicked Pokémon. Who will reach Tirtouga first, and how will it return to its own time? Don’t miss the amazing finale!

Not sure why but the voice Carracosta got for the Who's that Pokemon slide seemed far worse sounding than it was in the rest of the episode.

I still don't understand Team Rocket - all the access to fancy technology and they still fail just as badly. At least the cages and mecha were believable - forcefield boxes and drone cameras are not.

Some of the lines in this episode were cringeworthy - I don't mean to single out Iris, but to single out Iris for a second 'That's Ancient Power, no... that's Ancient Friendship Power!' Seriously?

Anyway, why not just push Team Rocket into the past and concrete over the portal? That would be a whole lot better than them vanishing from a cave in a few seconds of smoke.

Also, yay for Crustle riding on the roof of a moving car!

I liked how Tirtouga evolved into Carracosta. See, because now both friends are grownups.

I didn't get to say it last time because I missed the talkback thread for the episode before this, but in Part 1, when Ferris was holding that fossil that turned out to be Tirtouga and he turned it over and discovered who it was, wouldn't he have freaked out knowing he was holding his friend's decrepit corpse?

Anyway, that scene is relevant because that fossilized Tirtouga body was replete with Ferris's pendant thing. That means by timeline, that specific Tirtouga died a Tirtouga. But now he's evolved into a Carracosta! He still has the pendant though, but Team Rocket, by using that machine on fossilized Tirtouga, hyper-evolved it and changed the past! What repercussions might this have on the ecosystem back then, and consequently, the timeline of the world? :O

I can't help but wonder what happened to all the keen review writers here. I have the feeling these review threads are getting shorter and shorter.

Anyways, I'm happy with this second part. Although I've got to say that it wasn't as good as I expected, it wasn't bad either. I'd say you could call it a prime example of a standard episode. We had drama that made the episode exciting, a touching reunion of old friends and a good deal of action.

What bothered me a bit though, was the fact that too much of the plot happened in front of that entrance to the time gate. Why not have the twerps chase Team Rockets through the ancient world, why not have them play hide-and-seek or why not have the battle take place in the ancient world at least? Instead, everything happened in that rather dull, dark cave, so that in the end it was just another typical Team Rocket vs. Ash battle.

Besides, did you notice that scene when Ferris' friend's car jumped over a whole river? Nice stunt but I'd really like to know how that works in reality.

All in all, an episode with some minor flaws but still a decent one.

I think most of us have grown weary from doing this for both the raw AND dub. I know I've run out of things to say that I didn't already say for the raw. I don't have the capacity to compare soundtracks and whatnot, so I can't comment on that.

Some of the lines in this episode were cringeworthy - I don't mean to single out Iris, but to single out Iris for a second 'That's Ancient Power, no... that's Ancient Friendship Power!' Seriously?

Believe it or not, that was actually pretty much a word per word translation from the Japanese version, surprised they didn't change it too.

Speaking of lines, I did like James' curt "Then you lied, to Ash."

But a decent episode I think. Tirtouga and Carracosta are two of my favorite 5th gen pokes, and they both came off pretty strong I think. Loved their voices.

Kind of a rough episode though animation wise for a Natsume one at least.

Did enjoy the scene where Ferris ran back to his own time. That was nicely done.

Speaking of lines, I did like James' curt "Then you lied, to Ash."

I was really unsure of that line when I saw it today ~ I will admit that it made me smirk a bit and it was a cool line, but it just emphasised to me just how much Team Rocket are out of character this season in comparison to Diamond & Pearl. However, I do like the new Team Rocket to a degree and this episode, from that side of the coin, is a good example of why ~ they were really cool in this episode and were a bit more of a genuine threat. Jumping back to the comment on the Rockets being OOC this season, one dialogue exchange between JJM really struck me ~ at one point, I'm fairly certain that they rhymed and it created this really weird sense of juxtaposition which kinda threw me a bit.

My favourite part of this episode, dialogue-wise, was Jesse's line "resistance is futile" ~ I'm a Star Trek fan and to see her with the robotic eye piece and saying that line... it was very Seven of Nine and Borg-ish in general XD

I couldn't decide what I thought of Carracosta in this episode ~ in many ways I didn't like it. I'm a student artist and sometimes when I'm drawing, things just don't look quite right ~ I can never quite place my finger on why, but some pieces of art just don't look correct to me. I got that feeling off Carracosta during this episode ~ art-wise, there was just something off about it that made me dislike it. On the other hand, the way they portrayed it's emotions in the cave through the expressions on its face... to me it seemed a bit more than what is seen in a standard Pokémon episode and the Carracosta, in my opinion, behaved more like a wild animal as opposed to your regular run-of-the-mill wild Pokémon. There was just something about it that I can't figure out that gave me that feeling about it.

Land of the Lost meets Terra Nova...at least TPTB are cribbing from other shows instead of rehashing their own previous work.

My favourite part of this episode, dialogue-wise, was Jesse's line "resistance is futile" ~ I'm a Star Trek fan and to see her with the robotic eye piece and saying that line... it was very Seven of Nine and Borg-ish in general XD

Why the [EFF!] didn't I say that before?

I still wish prehistoric Pokemon couldn't articulate their names the way modern Pokemon can. It does strain credibility that humans could somehow come up with the same names that these Pokes said millions of years before we entered the scene, plus it would add to the primitive quality of the Dino-mon. (I so wish Archeops sounded like the raptors from Jurassic Park.)

BTW, do Dino-mon have some sort of hyper-evolution gene? That's the second time we've seen a restored fossil evolve within a few hours of its rebirth.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom