• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW093: The Junior Cup of Farewells and Meetings!

Dogasu

ロケット団よ永遠
Reaction score
The Junior Cup of Farewells and Meetings!

Animation - Team Kato
Screenplay - Atsuhiro Tomioka
Storyboard - Yūji Asada
Assistant director - Takenori Kawada
Animation director - Masaaki Iwane

Shooty, who's just won the Pokemon World Tournament Junior Cup, is now battling Adeku and his Baffaron with his Jalorda! Shooty's studied Baffaron's Abilities and weaknesses to show Adeku just how strong he is and is confident that he can beat the Champion. Who will win...!?

Later, Hikari announces that she'll be heading to the Jouto Region to compete in the Mikuri Cup. Satoshi says that they never did settle their battle from when she first arrived in the Isshu region and challenges her to a match! Who will win...Satoshi's Pikachu or Hikari's Magmarashi?

Kotetsu has more personality than I was expecting, but holy shit is he stupid. Why would he think the Isshu League was taking place in Jouto?

Kotetsu has more personality than I was expecting, but holy shit is he stupid. Why would he think the Isshu League was taking place in Jouto?
Even if it did take place in Johto for whatever reason, how would he be eligible to enter without an eighth badge?

Skype conversation with Trainer Yusuf while watching the episode:
[11:38:08] Human : ): hey yus
[11:38:20] Human : ): You gonna watch the new pkmn ep in another 20 mins?
[11:48:35] Human : ): hello...?
[12:03:10] Yusuf Kaya: Yes
[12:03:22] Human : ): im watching the ep right now
[12:03:22] Human : ): omg
[12:03:38] Human : ): BOUFFALANT HAS SAP SIPPER
[12:03:50] Human : ): and bouf has been glared
[12:03:53] Human : ): Dragon tail time
[12:04:01] Human : ): Go Trip!
[12:04:10] Human : ): Yes!
[12:04:13] Human : ): wha?
[12:04:22] Human : ): Power and speed
[12:04:34] Human : ): AFRO BREAK BABY!
[12:04:38] Human : ): and Serperior is over
[12:04:44] Human : ): Alder wins!
[12:04:50] Human : ): We all knew that anyways
[12:04:52] Human : ): Cmon TRIP
[12:04:56] Human : ): PLEASAE DEVELOP
[12:04:57] Human : ): CHANGE
[12:05:13] Human : ): DON'T BE LIKE THAT PAUL
[12:05:30] Human : ): aww
[12:05:35] Human : ): bouf licking alder
[12:06:01] Human : ): Yay Trip development
[12:06:10] Human : ): At least he didn't go throw a piss outside
[12:06:23] Human : ): like somebody else...
[12:06:39] Human : ): Yay Trip development ^_^
[12:06:49] Human : ): aww
[12:07:00] Human : ): Bonding with his serperior ^_^
[12:07:20] Human : ): I don't buy the bullshit that he's not substantial to last an entire episode
[12:07:31] Human : ): he just had a tournament for himself
[12:07:31] Human : ): OMG
[12:07:32] Human : ): OMG
[12:07:33] Human : ): CAITLIN
[12:07:35] Human : ): BABY
[12:07:38] Human : ): FORGET TRIP
[12:07:39] Human : ): ...
[12:07:43] Human : ): She's gone.
[12:07:48] Human : ): Yay georgia and iris
[12:07:58] Human : ): cilan and burgundy
[12:08:06] Human : ): That smile indicates that she wants to kill you.
[12:08:16] Human : ): aww
[12:08:21] Human : ): Trip and ash
[12:08:22] Human : ): OMG
[12:08:23] Human : ): HE SMILED
[12:08:33] Human : ): YESH
[12:08:43] Human : ): oh look meloetta
[12:08:52] Human : ): and she's gone
[12:08:56] Human : ): WTF
[12:08:58] Human : ): KOTETSU?
[12:09:01] Human : ): OMG HE'S SO AWESOME
[12:09:11] Human : ): FANGASMING OVER PIKACHU?
[12:09:18] Human : ): what's that remoe?
[12:09:34] Human : ): Aww
[12:09:39] Human : ): Iris with riolu...
[12:09:52] Human : ): Kawaiiiiii <3333
[12:10:07] Human : ): Kotetsu sure is ...
[12:10:14] Human : ): Full of energy.
[12:10:31] Human : ): Oh wow
[12:10:35] Human : ): He takes care of himself.
[12:10:42] Human : ): LOL
[12:10:48] Human : ): THE JUNIOR CUP IS ALREADY OVER
[12:10:54] Human : ): lol the alder SOUVENEIR
[12:11:11] Human : ): Kotetsu is cute.
[12:11:16 | Edited 12:11:25] Human : ): Very archtypical though
[12:11:40] Human : ): oh look team rocket and their camera
[12:11:52] Human : ): You know
[12:12:27] Yusuf Kaya: Bitch please, I already saw those merch on 2chan.
[12:12:43 | Edited 12:12:54] Human : ): At times, I don't know if they're spying on Meleotta, or trying to get a shot of what's under Dawn's skirt.
[12:13:05 | Edited 12:13:16] Yusuf Kaya: Takara Tomy's page was better than the ad. It had Genesect silouhette in it.
[12:13:25] Human : ): Kotetsu so far is like Barry, cept not so annoying.
[12:13:30] Human : ): Oh look T
[12:13:32] Human : ): TR
[12:13:40] Human : ): oh so they were looking at meoletta
[12:13:44] Human : ): Yay TR stuff
[12:13:48] Human : ): ooooo
[12:14:07] Human : ): Interesting
[12:14:29] Human : ): Meloetta singing again.
[12:14:30] Yusuf Kaya: BUY MELOETTA TOYS!
[12:14:36] Human : ): YUP
[12:14:49] Human : ): GET OUR NEW MELOETTA DOLL
[12:14:55] Human : ): IT CAN NOW SING THAT SONG!
[12:14:57] Yusuf Kaya: TR pirating her mp3
[12:15:02] Human : ): LOL
[12:15:33] Human : ): Time for that battle between Ash and Dawn!
[12:15:41] Human : ): WALLACE
[12:15:47] Human : ): OMG
[12:15:57] Human : ): YOU KNOW WHAT THIS MEANS!
[12:16:09] Human : ): RUBY SAPPHIRE EMERALD REMAKES BABY!
[12:16:28] Human : ): oh who am I kidding
[12:16:33] Human : ): BATTLE TIME
[12:16:42] Human : ): Go pikachu!
[12:16:50] Human : ): Quilava battle!
[12:16:54] Human : ): Finally!
[12:16:58] Human : ): Yeah Piplup
[12:16:59] Human : ): gtfo
[12:17:14] Yusuf Kaya: Bitch please, we need to advertise Bakuphoon dices.
[12:17:25] Human : ): pikachu evaded swift
[12:17:27] Human : ): WTF
[12:17:34] Human : ): YES
[12:17:45] Human : ): SYMBOLIZE THEIR JOURNEY TOGETHER IN SINNOH
[12:17:50] Human : ): FIX WHAT DP FUCKED
[12:18:01] Human : ): Ash is so strong
[12:18:04] Human : ): omg pikachu
[12:18:08] Human : ): Be careful
[12:18:13] Human : ): obv the best track was used.
[12:18:33] Human : ): Yay cynthia symbolizing their friendship
[12:18:36] Human : ): YES
[12:18:42] Human : ): GO
[12:18:57] Human : ): And the battle is stopped by cynthia
[12:19:06] Human : ): but they both did great
[12:19:08] Human : ): oh and
[12:19:09] Human : ): OMG
[12:19:19] Human : ): DAWN DIDN'T MAKE SPARKLES
[12:19:27] Human : ): ASH DOWNGRADED HER!
[12:19:33] Human : ): Oh look
[12:19:35] Human : ): The airplane
[12:19:42] Human : ): YES
[12:19:44] Human : ): SHE'S LEAVING!
[12:19:53] Human : ): WOOT
[12:20:02] Human : ): So she talked to iris about her goal
[12:20:04] Human : ): but not to dent
[12:20:10] Human : ): DOWNGRADED!
[12:20:25] Human : ): The sinnoh theme is nice
[12:20:28] Human : ): OMG PIPLUP CRYING
[12:20:32] Human : ): OSHAWOTT TOO
[12:20:40] Human : ): KODOMOSHIPPING
[12:20:46] Human : ): OMG SAD MUSIC
[12:20:49] Human : ): THEY'RE CRYING
[12:20:54] Human : ): sniff...
[12:20:56] Human : ): they're so cute
[12:21:04] Human : ): I'm still not going to buy their toys.
[12:21:13] Human : ): Yay!
[12:21:22] Human : ): Some great singing by meoletta
[12:21:31] Human : ): ash looking at the plane...
[12:21:34] Human : ): Oh look kotetsu
[12:21:36] Yusuf Kaya: Who is voiced by Kotone.
[12:21:55] Human : ): Johto?
[12:22:00] Human : ): So
[12:22:03] Human : ): Ethan expy?
[12:22:09] Human : ): Aww
[12:22:14] Human : ): He's late xD
[12:22:23] Human : ): he's got one badge left
[12:22:29] Human : ): the 7th badge is unique
[12:22:52] Human : ): 2 of the badges he got trip got them too
[12:22:56] Human : ): Kotetsu's funny
[12:23:11] Human : ): Segaiha/
[12:23:15] Human : ): Yay!
[12:23:17] Human : ): Ash is coming
[12:23:35] Human : ): Time for the preview for some Marlon
[12:23:42] Human : ): Oh look plasma cards on sale
[12:23:47] Human : ): PLASMA IS COMING BACK
[12:23:51] Human : ): YES THAT MUST BE IT
[12:24:00] Human : ): oh who am i kidding
[12:24:02] Yusuf Kaya: Yeah sure.
[12:24:35 | Edited 12:24:54] Yusuf Kaya: Actually in one of the Smash episodes hosts fought a Plasma Grunt cosplayer I think, to advertise the cards.
[12:25:24] Human : ): I wish the plane Dawn was in got destroyed : ).
[12:25:33] Human : ): and she fell and died...
[12:25:34] Human : ): YES
[12:25:35] Human : ): YES
[12:25:38] Human : ): MWUHAHAHAHAHA
[12:25:57] Human : ): But she's got immunity from pain
[12:26:03] Human : ): So if that happened she'd still be alive
[12:26:06] Yusuf Kaya: New title, wait
[12:26:11] Yusuf Kaya: I need to post new thread
[12:26:26] Human : ): Strangely, there's no Team Rocket live caster
[12:27:26] Human : ): new prievew
[12:27:28] Human : ): OMG MARLN
[12:27:39] Human : ): HE'S...
[12:27:41] Human : ): OMG
[12:27:44] Human : ): AWESOME WATER BATTLE
[12:27:46] Yusuf Kaya: Wailord yes
[12:28:12] Human : ): YESH
[12:28:18] Human : ): ok yusuf I'm gonna post this
[12:28:25] Human : ): our convo
[12:29:04] Yusuf Kaya: Whatevah
[12:32:19] Human : ): best parts:
[12:32:27] Human : ): Kotetsu scenes
[12:32:31] Human : ): Trip scenes
[12:33:11] Human : ): Zager being a perv looking at what's under Meoletta and Dawn's pants
[12:33:16] Human : ): Alder
[12:33:23] Human : ): Ash and Dawn battle
[12:33:50] Human : ): I better continue making that Best Wishes! mafia /shameless advertising

Last edited:
Lol at Kotetsu. I think he's the dumbest trainer that has ever appeared on the show, and considering Kanto-Satoshi, that's amazing XD And character development for Shooty, what a surprise, I'm sure nobody saw it coming. Anyway, I still don't like him.

This was a much better episode than the last few. I expected more from Satoshi vs Hikari, but considering all the other battles from Best Wishes it could've been far worse.

The ending kind of cracked me up.

Hikari was all like "Satoshi, good luck at the Isshu League" and "Iris, I hope you can get your Kairyuu to listen to you!" but then didn't have a damn thing to say to Dent. And then, during all the tender goodbyes and whatnot, our favorite Pokemon Sommelier just kind of stood there awkwardly in the background ^^;;

Also, I kind of feel like a plane shouldn't be letting its passengers continue to board mere seconds before it takes off :p

The fact that the battle between Pikachu and Quilava was yet another draw really entrenches Dawn's time as a complete waste - Misty at least had episodes revolve around her being there during her return in Hoenn, whereas Dawn just acted like a temporary fourth character - something that is handled far better with Bianca, because the episodes with Bianca actually highlight her personality and development, Dawn was just there - like a Brock who can't cook.

About the only thing the battle seemed to highlight is how much of a gap not having Volt Tackle is leaving on Pikachu, instead it had to fall back to useless Quick Attacks that barely did anything, making Pikachu seem far weaker than it should be. That battle should not have been even, Pikachu's raw strength should be higher than Quilava - instead he's left using Iron Tail against a Fire Type for some variety, being even more useless in the process.

Kotetsu managed to be far more interesting in half an episode as Dawn was for the entire time - which is good considering he looks like he will appear a lot in the future. Kotetsu vs Bianca needs to happen.

209.jpg

LOL, having trouble scanning a Pikachu, buddy?

Two words to describe this episode and by extension this entire arc: Missed opportunities.

Battle between Adeku and Shooti was over fast, not really sure how I feel about the change in Shooti though. I'll have to wait for a translation, but I don't know... this whole arc was pretty much there to hype up the league, the rivalry and instill some tension between them, but the tension's kinda gone now and Shooti's already changed... Need more info on what was said between Adeku and Shooti also Shooti and Satoshi. Cabernet and Langley leave... I honestly don't give a crap. Wasted opportunity to develop both of those more.

Kotetsu... god... go away. He was so cliché it hurt, he's like Kanto Satoshi on crack, which would have worked really well in DP to highlight how far Satoshi had come and how much he'd matured, but here... it's just a Satoshi clone that exaggerating the Shonen hero archetype. Another example of a good idea that's just not effective because of BW's shitty writing. Riolu was kinda neither here nor there in terms of personality, Kotetsu left me dry and why the hell are we spending half the episode listening to his meaningless babbling, just gtfo.

Satoshi/Hikari battle... looking good.... looking good... Shirona's talking... crap... Somebody please shut her up... Jeremy, shove a Pokéball down her throat and shut her up... No she just keeps going and going... and she stops the battle... like what? First of all, for the first time since Hikari arrived, we had Satoshi and her legit interacting, so why shut them up just so Shirona can steal some screen time... again. Oh and then Meloetta arrives to do her usual shit. Please tell me the Rockets kill her sorry ass soon. XD Seriously, what was the point of the battle? What was the point of Hikari even being there in the first place? I don't know... Hikari's gone and honestly, good riddance. She was really just there this time around and overall rather disappointing because they actually never gave her some time to shine, seemingly only had her there to worship Iris and ignore everyone else. Had they had her interact more with Satoshi and the other characters, had they had her display her usual style, this could have been a much better cameo, but wasted opportunities.

Plane leaves, Pochama and Mijumaru finally admit their feelings towards one another and then Kotetsu comes back to remind us how crap he is. Take Iris, Kotetsu, Shirona and Meloetta out of this episode (and this entire arc to be honest) and actually have the characters interact one another and it could have been much much better.

The ending kind of cracked me up.

Hikari was all like "Satoshi, good luck at the Isshu League" and "Iris, I hope you can get your Kairyuu to listen to you!" but then didn't have a damn thing to say to Dent. And then, during all the tender goodbyes and whatnot, our favorite Pokemon Sommelier just kind of stood there awkwardly in the background ^^;;

Hikari has a superpower of her own, she can turn male traveling companions invisible. XD It made me laugh so hard when they just forgot about Dent.

The writers sure love to make hyperactive charactes. I wish they could've saved Kotetsu for the next episode/an episode after that. Still, he is entertaining and made me laugh.

I'm guessing that Trip got some character development but I'm not sure what it is. Is he all of a sudden nice to everybody now?

Oh god the battle between Pikachu and Quilava was boring. They should've made it evolve so Dawn could leave Unova with a new Pokémon.

I dawwed at the Piplup and Oshawott hug. Amg <3.

Why I'm not surprised that Quilava knows Flamethrower

He was apparently mistaken. Satoshi told him that the arena where the League was going to be held in hasn't been decided yet.

Even if it did take place in Johto for whatever reason, how would he be eligible to enter without an eighth badge?

Kotetsu told Satoshi that he thought that you only needed seven gym badges to compete in the Isshu League. He thought that getting eight was optional.

So...this kid is Morrison but even more stupid? This had better not mean what I think it does.

Satoshi told him that the arena where the League was going to be held in hasn't been decided yet.
My guess is that Marlon will tell both of them where the league will be held.

Kotetsu told Satoshi that he thought that you only needed seven gym badges to compete in the Isshu League. He thought that getting eight was optional.
At least there is some inner logic to it, although it's a weird assumption. But it goes to show that like Ash, Kotetsu isn't interested in optional badges.

Well, looking at the preview for the next ep, he is at least looking more skilled than his behavior would indicate. Regardless, in the post up there, I was concerned about Ash going through the League unopposed. Now, I'm concerned about it leading to a mirror match, which I'm more doubtful of the outcome, but it's still not as impressive as I expected it to be.

Disapointment is the word of the day.

Trip vs Alder was about 4 miniutes
Ash vs Dawn had no proper outcome, expected nothing less. They could have suprised us by evolving Quilava but all we got was what we expected.
I was actually looking forward to seeing Eruption used in battle but no, Quilava got ONE new move, and it replaced the only cool move it had. What is the new move? F**king Flamethrower
Buneary? Pachirisu? Togekiss?
Not a word about Hoenn, Zoey, Nando, Kenny, Ursula... Stuff we actually care about.

Dawn's appearance in BW was completely useless, I am so dissapointed, I'm just gonna forget about it so I can mantain memories of her at the end of DP. In fact, I'd be able to forget about the whole sh*ty tournament, had somthing perminant not come out of it: Dragonite, it will be a constant reminder of this crap.

On a nicer note :D I'm glad Krokorok evolved and Stunfisk won a battle XD

but god, Cinccino and Reuniclus had terrible debutes, makes me wonder why Caitlin didn't use Reunicles and the CoD use Gothitelle, the battle with Garchomp would have been the same, only replacing Flatter, Thunderbolt and Brick Break with Confude Ray, Thunder and Dissy Punch.

I hope that Marlon, next week, will make me feel better and in the mean time I'll think about how good the Don battle and Donamite were :)

what do you mean about the effects on pikachu not having volt tackle?

Ash vs Dawn had no proper outcome, expected nothing less. They could have suprised us by evolving Quilava but all we got was what we expected.
I was actually looking forward to seeing Eruption used in battle but no, Quilava got ONE new move, and it replaced the only cool move it had.
As far as I'm concerned, Dawn's Quilava shouldn't have learned Eruption in the first place. Now, once more, Eruption is exclusive to Ash's Quilava as it should be.

So Dawn didn't mention Hoenn at all, did she?

Last edited:
So this is the anime's perception of strength disparity between the Champion and the main characters/rivals? Well then holy shit, if the Champion can 1-Hit-KO the Junior Cup Winner's powerhouse like that...

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom