• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S15 EP46: The Road to Humilau!

Iteru

Something
Reaction score
BW094 - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia

This episode aired first in the UK on the 28th December. Those in the UK can watch it on the ITV player.

Samurott is the WTP. Marlon gets some "hip/surfer" lines that will make you cringe. Especially the "Trainer after my heart" line.

Oh, and for what seems the entire last half of the episode all the music was replaced. I don't know about the first half, but the last half came off really bad.

Last edited:
I enkoyed this episode, but I am annoyed that they kept saying "Manteen" rather than Matine :mad:

This episode wasn't worth the 330mb :|

Anyways, i thought it was pretty good, although i really do wish camoreon had barrys va :(

Apart from the now routine saving of lives, I didn't mind the start here. This side of Cameron is nice, especially with his interactions with Riolu - I just wish he was introduced earlier so that he didn't have the last minute league rival aura to him, because that totally clouds my impression of his character as a whole and makes it near impossible to accept his strength as a trainer.

That forgetting to get Riolu thing was really really dumb - what could possibly have been stopping Riolu from just running over to Cameron before the battle started? Was I supposed to assume that Cameron just didn't think that through? If Ash can leave a Gym mid battle to go and replace his Pokemon with the Professor, a Pokemon can walk around the corner to battle.

I really wish that Cilan had just told Cameron he's a Gym leader and either battled Cameron himself, or organised for Chili/Cress to come up from Straiton - Marlon was almost not there in this episode and I'd hate for that to be his only appearance in the anime, especially considering how bland and generic he seemed from this appearance.

Otherwise, the battle was good despite being short - a good use of an ability, Ferrothorn looked amusing with its unbalance on the battlefield and I really like how Samurott moves in battle underwater.

Dang ya'll got to see the dub before the US, lucky you. :)

Anyway, I do Like Cameron's character.

Cameron's dub voice doesn't bother me, it's a perfect match for him in my opinion. Same goes for Samurott.
It did bother me that Marlon was pronouncing Mantine wrong the whole time. Not just him, but Iris, Cilan and the referee pronounced it the same way. Either they're wrong or I have been pronouncing it incorrectly for all these years.

Also, it might be just me but Marlon's voice sounded similar to Cilan's.

Edit: Oh and one other thing, they changed the Mezase humming sound in the dub. I see no point in doing that but whatever.

Last edited:
Marlon gets some "hip/surfer" lines that will make you cringe. Especially the "Trainer after my heart" line.

No kidding. Actually, I found his referee to be slightly more cringe-inducing, if only because he sounded like he was doing a bad impression of Michelangelo (the turtle).

What I would like to know is what the two boys were humming in place of the "Mesaze" theme. *Sigh* Why couldn't they just have kept it?

I remember this being the episode that introduced the music from the Reshiram and Zekrom movies. I would be surprised if the dub replaced the unreleased track, Reshiram Vs Zekrom (Reshiram Version) during the Mantine vs Samurott fight. (That track not being released on CD still pisses me off because Pikachu Records is capable of releasing a 100% complete OST like what they did with the Zoroark and Kyurem movies. I have no idea why they did not do the same with the Victini movies. Perhaps they are selfish on keeping the tracks to themselves and not release it in public.) I apologize for going off topic. It's just sickens me that they would pull a nasty stunt like that, going from 100% complete (Zoroark) to 75% complete (Victini), then back to 100% (Kyurem),

I would be surprised if the dub replaced the unreleased track, Reshiram Vs Zekrom (Reshiram Version) during the Mantine vs Samurott fight.

Oh, and for what seems the entire last half of the episode all the music was replaced. I don't know about the first half, but the last half came off really bad.

The gym theme and Surf theme were kept in the last half but everything else was replaced.

This LITERALLY marks the first time I have EVER changed the channel before the anime has finished its episode.

Cameron was just God-awful as always, and Marlon reminds me of B.D Joe from Crazy Taxi. Most of the episode was a bore snore, and I found myself switching to Sportscenter about 17 minutes in.

Wake me up when the League begins. :/

Last edited:
Okay, the ep finally aired stateside, so...

Cameron has officially worn out his welcome. Watching him and Ash was like watching Dumb and Dumber, with the two of them almost consistently making the wrong choices. Makes me wonder how Cameron survived on his own. Ash sure couldn't. When Cameron finally did something intelligent and pulled out his compass, the thing had to conk out to keep the losing streak intact. (If Brock were here, he'd have said something about ferrous rocks throwing off the compass. But we're dealing with Ash, so...)

About Marlon: first, I think that's Ted Lewis voicing him. Second, using Jellicent's Cursed Body to disable Ferrothorn's Thunderbolt before sending in Mantine was pretty clever (and dumb of Ash to not remember it from his second battle with Trip). Third, I had a theory about Marlon: with his tanned skin, blue hair, and affinity for Water Pokemon, I thought he might've been one of the People of the Water (first seen in Movie 9 and never mentioned again), but his lighter-skinned waistline and feet kinda ruin it. What's up with that, anyway?

And since it's been a while since I last pointed out when TPTB cribbed from previous eps, the stargazing scene with Ash and Cameron reminded me of "A Friend In Need" from the Indigo League, with Ash and Ritchie.

Awful lot of side characters in Gen 5. I like it. It's like Pokémon Generations or something. I wonder what significance this Cameron guy has.

Anyway, we open where we left off last time, Cameron realizing he needs another badge. So he sets out to get it and Ash and co. are coming along for the ride. Destination, Humilau City. On the way, Ash and Cameron are particularly eager to get this battle underway. Iris remarks that they're both kids. That I understand. But then she asks if Ash and Cameron will ever grow up. Didn't she just meet Cameron? How does she know how long he's been a kid? "When will he ever grow up" doesn't really apply to someone unless you've been around them, enduring their being a kid.

Anyway, a wrong turn splits the group in two. Ash, Cameron, and their Pokémon in one group, Iris, Cilan, and their Pokémon in another. Ash and Cameron are the ones lost. So they try to put their heads together and find the way to Humilau. As they walk, Ash falls off a cliff. Jeez, this Pokémon journey thing is rough business, Ash is very frequently in mortal peril, usually in the falling off a cliff variety. But Cameron pulls him up, and they decide to check the map to find out where they are, and where Humilau City is. Only Cameron's map isn't a map. Cameron realizes it's a placemat. And it's not even a placemat! Ash points out that it's actually a tablecloth.

Quick question though, doesn't the Gen 5 equivalent of a Pokédex come with a map? I've gotten lost plenty of times on my Pokémon journey and what I do is I check the map. Why did Cameron need a paper map? Did he not have the Gen 5 equivalent of a Pokédex? Doesn't Ash at least have the Gen 5 equivalent of a Pokédex? Do theirs not come with maps?

Suddenly, it starts raining. They gotta find shelter fast. Ash wants to go one way, Cameron wants to go another way. But considering Cameron's track record, wouldn't Cameron let Ash pick the direction? Cameron has been almost constantly wrong so far. They come to a cave, where they set up camp. Time to check their backpacks for food. Unfortunately, neither one of them brought food. They're both so very hungry. Then Meloetta arrives with an apple for Ash. "Here Ash this will save you ^_^ " Meloetta says. But Ash isn't a tiny Pokémon like Meloetta, he needs more than one apple, sorry Meloetta. But fortunately she knows a whole tree where apples come from! She leads Ash and Cameron to the tree, where they load up on wild apples.

Content with full stomachs, Ash and Cameron start up a fire and relax for the night. They share their dreams. Why do they battle? Why do they journey? Ash wants to be a Pokémon Master. The best there ever was. Better than all the rest, yeah, that's HIS cause. But what's Cameron's cause? To be a Pokémon Champion. The best their ever was. Better than- wait, what's the difference though? Between a Pokémon Champion and a Pokémon Master? I guess by Pokémon Champion Cameron wants to win a League and be the new Champion of that League, right? So what is a Pokémon Master?

Can I also say, with the use of maps and backpacks, this really smacks of Dora The Explorer. That's all.

Anyway, Meloetta comes to them later and tells them the rain has stopped. Now they can continue their journey. They head on a semi-Northish bearing, and Cameron smells the ocean. That can only mean Humilau City and its Gym are nearby. Except it isn't the ocean, it's a field of grass, an obvious point that Ash illustrates for his traveling party. It's an ocean of grass though, it's tall grass! They walk through it and encounter zero wild Pokémon. An impressive feat. They must smell like Repel. Also, because Cameron is wearing shorts, the grass won't get his shorts wet! Maybe this is why Youngster Ben wears shorts. But his calves would get wet, and probably irritated from the dirt and stuff in the grass. Maybe this is why Youngster Ben SHOULDN'T wear shorts. As they walk, guess what happens? This time Cameron falls off a cliff! Ash grabs him and holds on to him. And Cameron just says he should let go and go on without him. What? Let go? Either Pokémon journeying has made Cameron a surly badass, or Cameron is just tired of living. Or the cliff isn't really that high off the ground. But with the help of their Pokémon, Cameron is pulled up. The two of them lie on the grass and stare at the constellations, thankful to be on this journey with each other.

Meanwhile, in much less harrowing straits, Iris and Cilan are sitting on the dock of the Humilau Gym. They seem more bored than worried about Ash and Cameron. Considering the dangers out there, and the fact that they've been missing since yesterday, I would've reported this. But then again, they've been through a lot in Gen 5, probably nothin' to worry about.

And it wasn't! Because Ash and Cameron found the ocean! And in it, a huge Wailord! And on THAT, a surfer bro with inappropriately low rising swim pants. It's Marlon, the Gym Leader of Humilau. He gives them a ride to the gym where the battle later begins.

Marlon throws out Jellicent. Cameron meant to have Riolu fight, but he forgot him. So he thinks, and uses Ferrothorn. A decent strategy considering the Electric-type moves, but as DracoMan just said, Jellicent has Cursed Body as an ability, and after Ferrothorn felled Jellicent, it came into play. The very same combo that was used to hinder Ash. Did Ferrothorn's eyes look off center when he was hit with Cursed Body to anyone else? Anyway, Marlon then sends out Mantine, which makes quick work of Ferrothorn. So Cameron sends out Samurott, the Who's That Pokémon of the day. Samurott defeats Mantine pretty easily. All in all, not that challenging of a battle, wouldn't you say? And he won it without Riolu, the Pokémon that would've allegedly made it really easy for him.

So Cameron wins the Wave Badge and says he'll see Ash and co. at the Unova League. Meanwhile the Team Rocket TRio are still working on their undersea project. When's that gonna come into fruition?

All in all, I like Cameron, I like most of the side characters. The only one I don't like is Bianca. She's... too old.

I skipped the original version of this episode but watched dubbed version today. Can't say that I liked it at all. For some reason I don't feel the voice actors, who I love dearly, were giving it their all in this one. Like, Iris sounded really tired for some reason and didn't sound like herself. Heck I think they even didn't want to do this episode j/k

As for Cameron...ugh. Now I see why I skipped this episode in the first place. I read from the original review thread that this episode help make Cameron more likable with his interactions with Ash. Well it didn't work for me. Their interactions in this episode is just a carbon copy of what happened with Ash and Morrison, right down to the part to where Ash has to save Cameron from falling off of a cliff. It did not nearly have as much substance as Ash and Morrison's friendship if you ask me.

For those wondering, Mantine's name was not mispronounced in this episode. That's actually how you say its name according to Pokedex 3D Pro. Just thought I mention this. I can't get used to how Ferrothorn's name is pronounced though.

Also, it might be just me but Marlon's voice sounded similar to Cilan's.
He sounded like Cilan to me, too.

For those wondering, Mantine's name was not mispronounced in this episode. That's actually how you say its name according to Pokedex 3D Pro. Just thought I mention this. I can't get used to how Ferrothorn's name is pronounced though.
Heh. So I guess 4Kids had been pronouncing it wrong all this time, except those who were in charge of Chronicles.

This episode was okay, though I can't help but notice Cameron's scatterbrained mistake that he will make again in the league. And it was nice to see another one of the gym leaders from B2W2.

Last edited:
Awful lot of side characters in Gen 5. I like it. It's like Pokémon Generations or something. I wonder what significance this Cameron guy has.

You really don't want to know if you don't already...

This ep was alright. I felt like they could have made this into a 2 parter and erased the horrid daycare filler in favor of having the bonding be all of ep 1 and gym be all of ep 2 though.

Cameron better thank his lucky stars that Mantine didn't have Water Absorb as its ability otherwise he would have been screwed. Gym battle was way too rushed considering that it didn't give either sides Pokemon the time to properly shine considering this was an 8th gym battle (for a "rival" or friend but still it could have been better) we don't or I don't really get that Marlon is the last gym leader kind of feel considering his position in the BW2 game series. But due to plot, the league and other stuff like that he has been reduced to just a memory after this episode.

Cursed Body taking effect was nice but kind of weird and funny to see the effect it had on both Jellicent and Ferrothorn looked like they were having seizures or something (ok seizures aren't funny of course but you get what I'm saying).

Kind of disappointing for a non-STAB Thunderbolt to take it out though and in one shot? Then Mantine taking out Ferrothorn who in the games is nearly impossible to take out without Fire or Fighting type moves with 3 moves that are not very effective (Wing Attack did normal damage since it is part Grass type) and what got me is the fact that Iron Barbs wasn't shown to do damage either.

Samurott did look like a beast though. Really wish that Ash would have spent time training instead of wasting time about another trainer's gym battle. I mean in the last episode and the start of this one when he burst out "Can I come and see your battle?" I was thinking "Why?" league is right around the corner I'd start training and HARD if I were you...

Oh well, guess some things never change it looks like another Ash and Richie kind of "relationship" going on if you catch my drift...

So, I guess after this episode we can safely say that Marlon is probably the weakest gym leader in Unova, right? His Jellicent got defeated pretty quickly, he didn't have any strategy up his sleeve (something that almost every gym leader has had so far) and his so called ace-Pokemon didn't stand a chance against Samurott.
Also, this episode showed why Samurott is by far the best and coolest fully evolved form of the Unova starters (Glad I chose it as my own starter back then)

There was something that surprised me though: Judging from Ash and Cameron's conversation in that cave, are we supposed to believe that there's a difference between Pokemon Champions and Pokemon Masters? If there was none, then the boys would have talked about the same thing, so why use different words in the first place? So do we have to assume that there actually is a difference? I don't think so! It wouldn't make any sense to differentiate between Champions and Masters because a Champion, especially Cynthia, is a Master at the same time, of course. I think the writers were just inconsistent once again.

All in all, a very decent episode with a nice first part that had pretty mature lines here and there and a short but intense gym battle.

In both this episode and the previous, Cameron came off as REALLY annoying. Thank God he left at the end of this episode, so we won't have to deal with him for a while. I just hope they don't make him a recurring character and have him show up again later.

I also found Marlon rather annoying, too. I think it was his voice. And the battle with him was rather dull until the end when Samurat showed up. While i like Oshowatt, Samurot is my least favorite of the starters' final forms this genreation. However, it's depiction in this episode made me think it's not so bad after all. Who knew it could suddenly switch to being bipedal to use it's swords like that.

Also, what was up with the UK seeing this and the next several episodes so early?

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom