• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Legendary Pokémon names revealed: Xerneas and Yveltal to feature in Gen VI games

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulbaBot

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur
Reaction score
Legendary Pokémon names revealed: Xerneas and Yveltal to feature in Gen VI games

The Legendary Pokémon seen but not named in the first Pokémon X and Y trailer have now been named. The deer-like Pokémon is Xerneas and the bird-like Pokémon is Yveltal.

Read more on Bulbanews

Taking me a while to get the pronunciations right but apparently they're pronounced ZURR-nee-us and ee-VELL-tall. And that just makes them sound really cool.

Yes but now when are they gonna give us the Official Artwork.

They have no Bulbapedia articles yet. Damn, I wish I could be the one to create them, but I really don't know where to start.
Anyway, cool names. At the moment I am leaning towards Yveltal.

The pronunciations doing the rounds may well be accurate - there really aren't that many ways to pronounce the names - but they're not form anywhere official as far as we can tell.

The pronunciations doing the rounds may well be accurate - there really aren't that many ways to pronounce the names - but they're not form anywhere official as far as we can tell.
My first port of call was to speak to a Danish friend of mine and he pretty much said that ee-VELL-tall would be spot on considering the possible Nordic inspirations for the pair (he actually had a hard time teaching me how to pronounce a hard-Y). That was the only one I had any difficulty pronouncing anyway.

And of course, wouldn't surprise me if Serebii got them from a secret source.

Xerneas.

Mine.

Next comes official art for the mascots, likely even this week. They're really different, though, unlike the other mascots. I want to see how this plays out.

My first port of call was to speak to a Danish friend of mine and he pretty much said that ee-VELL-tall would be spot on considering the possible Nordic inspirations for the pair (he actually had a hard time teaching me how to pronounce a hard-Y). That was the only one I had any difficulty pronouncing anyway.

And of course, wouldn't surprise me if Serebii got them from a secret source.
This MAY or may not be correct pronunciations: Pokémon X & Y Legendary Details Revealed - 3DS News @ Nintendo Life

It just me or Xerneas sounds like an ancient Greek name/word?

Maybe we´ll get not only France, after all.

they sound badass !! the english names will probably make them sound like pink fairys mind.

they sound badass !! the english names will probably make them sound like pink fairys mind.

But those are the English names.
Indeed. And even if they weren't, most legendaries have the same name in English and Japanese.
Also, what's wrong with pink fairies?

really ? they sound and look too complex dont they ? this game is mainly aimed at 10 year olds isent it.
pink faires rock !!! they just not badass enough

Yveltal sounds South American to me, but I read on one of the linked articles that someone else thought both names were Nordic. What are the name origins?

Yveltal...quetzalcoatl...? NAH! That coulda been cool though!

I JUST WONDER WHAT "Z" might be....or "W" if they wanna mess with us!

I wonder if they accidentally forgot to include the names in the trailer, so they revealed them like this? And will we get more names tomorrow?

Dr. Xerneas: Get your paws off me, you dirty Primeape!
Primeape: He can talk!
Infernape: He can talk!
Ambipom: He can talk!
Slaking: He can talk!
Simisage: He can talk!
Simisear: He can talk!
Simipour: He can talk!

Dr. Xerneas: I CAN SING!!!

Oo, Help me Dr. Xerneas!
Dr. 'neas, Dr. 'neas
Dr. 'neas, Dr. 'neas
Dr. 'neas, Dr. 'neas