• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW108: Isshu League Conclusion! Pikachu VS Lucario!!

Reaction score
Isshu League Conclusion! Lucario VS. Pikachu!!

Animation - Team Kato
Screenplay - Shinzō Fujita
Storyboard - Yūji Asada
Assistant director - Yūji Asada
Animation director - Masaaki Iwane

Was there really any point in making a whole new thread? It says specifically in the rules if a mod hadn't made a thread a reg. could make it and the episode ended little over 20 minutes ago, I originally thought my thread got deleted due to a forum hiccup but the fact the same fate happened to the second one made it obvious that it was deletion. Pretty sure a few member's post got wiped in the process as well.

Anyway, for the most part the Lucario and Pikachu battle was very intense, loved the animation and moves shown. I also really liked Lucario's voice, I still can't believe Kotetsu lost the whole league though. T-Card epic

Ash tries! Pikachu dies! Lucario fries! Kotetsu cries! Dino whys! Virgil flies! Bianca goodbyes! Kenyan sighs! Montage guys!

Pretty much what I expected, though the animation in the Pikachu vs Lucario battle was very nice.

At one stage Pikachu looked really strong - getting in attack after attack in quick succession, but then the usual dual explosion end had to happen. At least it wasn't a double knockout. What did annoy me though was that Cameron was then beaten by Virgil with only 5 Pokemon (it looked like Cameron did have a 6th somewhere) - which is another one of those very minor things that there's no reason to do that makes Ash look weak - by the person who beat him being beaten easier.

Disappointing but not unexpectedly Snivy didn't achieve anything, now would have been a great time to reflect on Snivy's pre-Ash past and it being a barrier to victory - because whatever it was in her past still hasn't been resolved like it was with Pignite, so for the most important battle Snivy will probably ever have, it's a bit disappointing it came and went without anything useful happening - not even a new move (as far as I could tell).

It was nice that Lucario seemed to keep its personality from Riolu, I was expecting it to try and keep with the usual tough-guy image Lucario usually have in their other appearances. Cameron's headband snapping doing nothing was nice, that's probably the only thing the writers have done rather well with the league, take a lot of those repetitive jokes and do something different with them, like everyone suddenly getting Stephan's name right.

I admire Bianca's ability to hold way too many ice-creams and still travel way too fast - that's one repetitive joke I'm happy hasn't changed. I'm disappointed that Bianca's dad didn't play any role in the league for her - another missed opportunity. Can Bianca go with Ash to the X and Y region please? It does seem strange that you have the everyone going separate ways scene when there's so much of BW remaining - could at least one of the side characters be written out well?

Was it mentioned who's Pokeball Ash was holding at the end? 'Stop losing leagues for me Pikachu, get in the ball!' would be a better ending than this one...

Was there really any point in making a whole new thread?! It says specifically in the rules if a mod hadn't made a thread a reg. could make it and the episode ended little over 20 minutes ago, I originally thought my thread got deleted due to a forum hiccup but the fact the same fate happened to the second one made it obvious that it was deletion.
I have absolutely no idea what happened to yours. I was renaming your thread and making it sticky, but when I went back and checked, it was not there. So, I honestly don't know what happened.

So for those of us stateside, how'd the battle turn out?

So for those of us stateside, how'd the battle turn out?

Satoshi lost to Kotetsu
Virgil beat Crimgan
Virgil beat Kotetsu
Virgil wins the league

Trump Card looked epic at least.

The fact someone who doesn't even specialize in battling won the whole league still surprises me, he's a rescuer.

The animation was amazing *_* Copycat Iron Tail too.

*Yawn*

Welp, at least it's it over. This is one league that's definitely not worth a re-watch. On to Saga N.

I was actually asking about the Ash/Cameron battle, but it sounds like Ash lost. Again. For the [EFF!]ing fifth time. Why does he always have to be an also-ran?

More importantly, why is this surprising? We've known Satoshi was going to lose the Isshu League for a while now.

More importantly, why is this surprising? We've known Satoshi was going to lose the Isshu League for a while now.

Lol, I think the more surprising thing to people was that he's getting Top 8 for the third time. :p

Edit: There's also the fact that most of Ash's team went without victories at all. Only Pikachu, Krookodile, and Pignite got anything notable lol. Scraggy got a throwaway battle.

Last edited:
tumblr_mgeq8nfkmK1rsrk2xo1_400.jpg

tumblr_mgeqfn45uo1rsrk2xo1_400.jpg

You gotta admit, Lucario was pretty cute.

Well, looks like we had no point to Virgil being here after all, I was hoping he'd battle Ash at the last second of the episode but no, he gets beaten that kid who has an IQ of a rock, thanks for that Pokemon. Worst League ever!! Gosh, I can't wait for the next Generation to get here soon, than we can leave this trash of a series behind us and act like it never happened, lets hope Ash never brings it up and forgets it all like he does some times with Pokemon, well than again this is my opinion soXD

Lol, Dino became a beast. He took out all of Virgil's Pokemon sans Eevee, and Kotetsu couldn't even beat four of Virgil's.

I know we all expected it, but it still is disappointing for him to loose in the top 8. Does anyone now doubt that he's regressed?

Last edited:
Cameron's sixth pokemon was a Watchog, due to the silhouette.

Dino had a Darmanitan (presumably evolved from his Darumaka), a Mandibuzz, a Cofagrigus, a Galvantula, and a Leavanny in addition to his Druddigon.

Ramone had a Lilligant, a Seismitoad, a Chandelure, a Beartic, and a Durant in addition to the Stoutland that we saw him use during the WTJC.

I laughed at the fact they treated Cameron like "Ash best friend for the rest in Unova", and Cameron didn't even give him a proper farewell. Way to go Cameron.

Also, glad the league is over, atleast Lucario looked cool, Virgil won, woopdidoo.

What's with the pointless clipshow? It didn't even show the most important things.

Wow, that Eevee is a beast. I wonder if it's still possible that there's more to it?

Imotaro, Katherine, nor Antonio made it past Top 8 and this disappoints me immensely. All the ugly characters beat them.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom