• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW111: The New Gym Leader - Cheren!

Dogasu

ロケット団よ永遠
Reaction score
The New Gym Leader - Cheren!

Animation - Team Kato
Screenplay - Akemi Omode
Storyboard - Hiromasa Amano
Assistant director - Yoshitaka Makino
Animation director - Takashi Shinohara

Satoshi and his friends have arrived in Hiougi City, where a new gym has been built! They head there to fight Cheren the Gym Leader, but...the Gym's a school!? It turns out that the Hiogi City Pokemon Gym is also a Trainer's School! Cheren, who's also one of the school's teachers, has only just gotten qualified to be a Gym Leader and has therefore not been able to open up the Gym yet. Later, Kibago wanders off to the PA room, causing a disturbance throughout the entire school...

I love how this super Japanese school exists in what's supposed to be this franchise's version of New York City.

Is it really that hard to do a Google image search to see what American schools look like?

Why does it seems like the writers are hellbent on making Mijumaru into Pochama 2.0?! That was just embarrassing.

It's literally like Cabernet and Pochama had a pokechild. I love(d) the little guy to death but the Moneymaru bandwagon is catching fire.

Last edited:
Cheren's way different from what I expected, but I still liked the episode.

Kibago's still fucking annoying, though.

Oh look, Oshawott lost. Man, I just can't believe it. /sarcasm

Really, Oshawott became a tiresome Pokemon some time ago. To think I thought he'd actually amount to something lol.

Man, I really enjoyed this episode! Almost everything up until Oshawott lost the gym battle for Ash.

Cheren seems pretty cool, seems really caring towards the children and Pokemon but his Herdier is strong. Well, besides the loss pretty good episode!

I love how this super Japanese school exists in what's supposed to be this franchise's version of New York City.

Is it really that hard to do a Google image search to see what American schools look like?

1. People wear shoes indoors, in what's supposed to be this franchise's version of Japan.

2. These students are representing schoolboys/girls in the games. You can't be a schoolgirl/boy without uniform.

3. How is that "super Japanese"?

A nice episode, even if it was a little bit boring.

Saw Oshawott losing a mile away. Why? Because he always loses.

Bit exaggerated? I mean, lately he's been losing, but so have other Pokemon. Minus the Snivy and Cinccino battle, Snivy hasn't been on such a hot streak lately either.

Why does it seems like the writers are hellbent on making Mijumaru into Pochama 2.0?! That was just embarrassing.

It's literally like Cabernet and Pochama had a pokechild. I love(d) the little guy to death but the Moneymaru bandwagon is catching fire.

Oshawott isn't just for market purposes and a losing streak happens to a lot of Pokemon some time and I don't here people judging other Pokemon of Ash's, or other trainers.

Cheren's way different from what I expected, but I still liked the episode.

Kibago's still fucking annoying, though.

Axew wasn't the only one that stuffed up though.

People should stop saying that Totodile is Ash's weakest Water-type Pokémon.

What, because Oshawott is? Yeah, Oshawott could beat Totodile IMO.

A losing streak does not equal weak.

Why did Pikachu and kibago wander away again?

Fixed.

Oh look, Oshawott lost. Man, I just can't believe it. /sarcasm

Really, Oshawott became a tiresome Pokemon some time ago. To think I thought he'd actually amount to something lol.

Because he lost in a battle that Ash didn't need to win? Yeah...totally.

Man, I really enjoyed this episode! Almost everything up until Oshawott lost the gym battle for Ash.

Cheren seems pretty cool, seems really caring towards the children and Pokemon but his Herdier is strong. Well, besides the loss pretty good episode!

Wasn't a proper "gym battle for Ash" since Ash didn't need to win it and it was probably more for Cheren.

Oshawott is weak? Huh? He only lost because he cares for his Scalchop and it was a move he was weak to.

So, not winning a battle in a long time even though he's hardly has one in a long time = Oshawott being the weakest Pokemon? Uh...no. And, I'm not being bias, because I would say the same for Snivy, even though I don't really care for her lately, or any of Ash's Pokemon.

Also, there could be some good reasons to him losing, like making Cheren look good, a new Gym Leader.

Ya'll seriously need to calm to stop being so melodramatic.

On a lighter note.

This V
tumblr_mhhmvjSvhR1r4161ao1_400.jpg

And this.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/48beeed4191b9093b2883ed2a27d00c5/tumblr_mhhq547X9F1s322v8o1_500.gif

Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the Pokemon Showcase! We're going to show as many old pokes and a few new ones as we can because evidently we're contractually obligated to do so. What? I know Osha was not the one to fight Herdier before, and this is a different Herdier, but COME ON. This is not that distant from the same flipping mistakes made back then, and you STILL can't overcome them? And to add insult to injury, Ash gets to fight a gym leader and for the first time EVER, he never defeats them. You're not making a good impression again, Episode N. Next is Plasma. That had better set up really well is all I can say.

playerking said:
What, because Oshawott is? Yeah, Oshawott could beat Totodile IMO.
Based on what?

A losing streak does not equal weak.
I didn't imply that Oshawott was weak, but I do consider it to be weaker than Totodile is based on their track record. My point is that when the series started people automatically assumed that Oshawott would outclass Totodile, and yet that hasn't happened.

martianmister said:
1. People wear shoes indoors, in what's supposed to be this franchise's version of Japan.

They wear shoes inside public buildings (just like people in Japan do), but not when they're in someone's home.

3. How is that "super Japanese"?

The layout of the school. The school in this episode looks almost identical to the real world Japanese schools I've been to over the years, from the layout of the place to the types of items (i.e. the vending machine) you see throughout. Nothing about Cheren's school says "Western" to me at all.

No Team Rocket in this episode, so I guess they really aren't like they were pre-BW.

So I guess moneymaru learned nothing from stephan's intro about not relying on a scalchpp.

Did they explain what happened to lenora in the anime? I know that in the game, she steped down.

It looks like there are just more than 8 gyms in the anime, since we've seen all 8 gyms from the original games plus the 3 new gym leaders and Cameron was shown having some not-real badges.

It was a nice treat to see Cheren and SHINX <3 BUT WHAT THE FUCK WRITERS!! Can't you ever give Oshawott a SINGLE WIN!!!

no

Literally every unovan other than oshawott needs it more.

I liked the part where axew ran off again. It really shows off iris as a dragon master.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom