• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW130: Satoshi and Butterfree! Until the Day We Meet Again!!

Not too bad of an episode, not that I almost cried or anything...

But if you're not going to make the actual Butterfree appear, could you at least have given him a minute more of flashback screen time?

This episode just didn't do it for me. Satoshi crying at the end was unncessary, Rocket-Dans blast off stockart repeated for the millionth time and oh was Caterpie poorly drawn.

I enjoyed Rotom and Okido-Hakase appearances though.

I feel so bad for that Butterfree. Someone should let it know what happened to the last Butterfree that Ash promised he'd meet again (not to mention all the others).

Otherwise it was a decent episode - Caterpie is such a cute Pokemon. The flashbacks to his old Butterfree could've been longer, but it was still nice to see redrawn scenes again. The thing that annoyed me most was seeing an angry Ursaring - writers tend to forget that there are Pokemon other than Ursaring and Scolipede that can get angry! :p

I LOVE THIS EPISODE LOVE. Omg....Satoshi is just....perfect, what a baby, he was amazing in this episode. I liked how he didn't force caterpie to do anything that was too much for him and worked WITH his style instead of against it. He even took a nap with it to show him that it wasn't necessarily a bad thing that he did it, he just had to do it in moderation. That's my boy :')

Anyways, before I delve further in, I'm just going to share an interesting observation that someone on tumblr pointed out (credit here).

So uh, apparently since gen iv, they've been doing a pretty good job at showing sex differences between pokemon - even in flashbacks.

here's a male butterfree:
Spr_b_5b_012_m.png

now here's a female:
Spr_b_5b_012_f.png

now here is ash's butterfree and his lover in the flashback:

tumblr_mobty1WznS1rpmv3uo1_500.jpg

Ash's butterfree confirmed gay. :)

(no wonder they didn't make any babies)

(don't mention animation error LET ME BE HAPPY FOR ONCE OKAY???)

I feel so bad for that Butterfree. Someone should let it know what happened to the last Butterfree that Ash promised he'd meet again (not to mention all the others).

If you're referring to dying after mating, don't worry, that was a translation error that has persisted as a popular misconception.

So! Butterfrees do not die immediately after mating, don't worry! That's why Satoshi/Ash's Butterfree was shown flying in the Spurt opening back in late AG (Battle Frontier). ^^

If you're referring to dying after mating, don't worry, that was a translation error that has persisted as a popular misconception.

So! Butterfrees do not die immediately after mating, don't worry! That's why Satoshi/Ash's Butterfree was shown flying in the Spurt opening back in late AG (Battle Frontier). ^^

He's referring to how Ash rarely sees released Pokemon again.

It's funny how Ash can evolve a wild caterpie twice in one episode, but it takes him 75 for Tepig and has yet to evolve snivy in over 100.

This looked like such a cute episode and it went almost exactly like I imagined it would. That Caterpie was just so adorable and cubby looking:) The main problems I had were the original Butterfee not getting longer flashbacks, Team Rocket being here, and Ash scanning Caterpie's forms. I also found Ash being that sad a bit much since he only knew that Caterpie for a day as opposed to other Pokémon he released where he didn't even cry. But it was still a nice episode. 7/10.

Sakuraa said:
I also found Ash being that sad a bit much since he only knew that Caterpie for a day as opposed to other Pokémon he released where he didn't even cry.

After Caterpie evolves into Trancell, our heroes find out from Joi that the next group of Butterfree will be coming by in a week. So they were on that island for at least that long.

Sakuraa said:
I also found Ash being that sad a bit much since he only knew that Caterpie for a day as opposed to other Pokémon he released where he didn't even cry.

After Caterpie evolves into Trancell, our heroes find out from Joi that the next group of Butterfree will be coming by in a week. So they were on that island for at least that long.

Oh, it was a week? Okay then. But still it was rather short as opposed to other Pokémon he'd traveled with longer.

Well, Dent does mention that Caterpie tend to evolve quickly and assured him that he still had plenty of time left.

Last edited:
Dento scared of vine swinging was amusing wishfulshipping

Last edited:
After rewatching the episode, I realised the scene where Kojiro's Morobareru kept bouncing on Satoshi's head made me laugh, because it looked ridiculously hillarious.

Oh God this episode was awesome. One of my favourites of the BW series so far, even if I was very annoyed that Satoshi's Butterfree wasn't going to appear and predisposed that I wasn't going to like it. But there is actually no thing that I didn't liked about this episode except that the flashbacks may have been a little longer.

The animation wasn't so terrible as it seemed by the previews, Musashi and Kojiro were weirdly drawn, but the other comical scenes combined with the animation were pretty good, and it was a long time without seeing Satoshi providing this amount of comical scenes, along with Team Rocket making up a plan so simple like they used to do long, long ago. A Trancell with actual personality is a plus.

I'm not a very nostalgic person when it comes to Pokémon, but I almost cried not only at the end, but specially when I heard a bit of the Tabidachi (Set off) music playing in the background, not sure why. Also, it was nice to see Satoshi crying again since for me he has looked like a personality-less character several times in the BW series. In my opinion, the episode was so great that I completely forgot how bad I felt when I learnt that his own Butterfree wasn't going to appear.

The anime staff managed to prevent themselves from ending an episode with their typical sunset scene that they are so fixated with.

Last edited:
Sakuraa said:

A week doesn't matter if you're immortal like Ash is.

It's funny how Ash can evolve a wild caterpie twice in one episode, but it takes him 75 for Tepig and has yet to evolve snivy in over 100.

Someone give this guy a reward!

Couldn't have said it better myself!

Despite the fact that Caterpie and Bug-type Pokemon who are similar to it have been said to evolve faster?

This episode seems all right. It was a nice surprise to see Hahakomori again after so long, I didn't think we would until Satoshi got back to Okido's.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom