• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

New footage of Pokémon X and Y shown on Pokémon Smash: Fishing animation, additional

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulbaBot

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur
Reaction score
New footage of Pokémon X and Y shown on Pokémon Smash: Fishing animation, additional attacks, ...

New footage of the Pokémon X and Y games was shown on Pokémon Smash. The animation for fishing and surfing were revealed.

Read more on Bulbanews

Re: New footage of Pokémon X and Y shown on Pokémon Smash: Fishing animation, additio

The games are looking amazing. Not only amazing graphics-wise, but also good fun.

Some people have a few complaints, such as the land/water still being square despite having diagonal movement, which I think is understandable, but personally I don't mind; this is their first main series 3DS title, so the only way from here is up. I'm loving everything I'm seeing so far, I just hope we don't end up being disappointed after XY look so promising.

Shadow Sneak animation looks great when it travels along the floor (not a fan of the red eyes, however).

Also encountering Inkay on land was kind of unexpected. Hopefully you'll be able to find it in the water, too. More variety when surfing is appreciated. The surfing animation looked good too - nice and fast, just how we like it.

I hope this means we get the fishing rod before beating the league this time >_>

Re: New footage of Pokémon X and Y shown on Pokémon Smash: Fishing animation, additio

It looks very interesting to say at the least, and I'm glad they decided to go with diagonal movements, only problem I have, which is probably nitpicking, is that surfing is STILL the trainer riding on a black blob, when I was hoping for us to actually see the Pokemon itself, like him riding on top of a Floatzel for instance. Otherwise, everything else is great.

I think one reason they would choose not to have different swimming sprites is to avoid size discrepancies. For example, a human would probably drown if they tried riding on top of a Goldeen, and a Wailord would probably take up 12 tiles or more.

I'm loving all the attack animations so far. Shadow Sneak really looked cool. 3D environments really let you see how moves are meant to be used instead of using low-quality animations to symbolize attacks.

In response to something Zeb said, I don't really see a problem with Inkay being found outside of the water since it's not actually a Water type. It's shown to float around anyway, and while its creative basis is an ocean creature so it makes sense that it would be found near water, I don't see any need for it to be found exclusively in the water.

Overall, this footage excited me even more about these games.

I think one reason they would choose not to have different swimming sprites is to avoid size discrepancies. For example, a human would probably drown if they tried riding on top of a Goldeen, and a Wailord would probably take up 12 tiles or more.

That doesn't have to be an issue, though. If you look at the overworld sprites used for HGSS following Pokemon and the Entralink Forest and stuff, Pokemon tend to all be about the same size in the overworld. They could just as easily fudge the scales for Pokemon when you're surfing on them.

In response to something Zeb said, I don't really see a problem with Inkay being found outside of the water since it's not actually a Water type. It's shown to float around anyway, and while its creative basis is an ocean creature so it makes sense that it would be found near water, I don't see any need for it to be found exclusively in the water.

Well I never said I had a problem with it nor that it should be exclusively found in the water. I just said it was unexpected; Stunfisk was a Ground/Electric type and was found in water, so I was just expecting the same thing to happen with Inkay.

That doesn't have to be an issue, though. If you look at the overworld sprites used for HGSS following Pokemon and the Entralink Forest and stuff, Pokemon tend to all be about the same size in the overworld. They could just as easily fudge the scales for Pokemon when you're surfing on them.

I think they've been trying to stray away from that a bit in the new game. Different characters have distinct heights now, so I would imagine the Pokemon would too. They're obviously trying to make this world much more realistic and immersive, so I don't think they'd scale things down just for convenience.

Although I guess that kind of comes back around to why they would use the "blob" again. Oh well, like Zeb said, it's the first 3D Pokemon game, so there's sure to be some quirks to it that will likely be fixed in later additions.

It doesn't look like a blob this time around, more like the Pokemon is submerged and you're on it's back.

Absolutely fantastic.

Comparing Black & White -- as great of games as they both were in their own right -- to X & Y, proves how incredible these games look. Such a flawless transition into an entirely new experience. I can't wait.

- Honedge's default position in battle is definitely unsheathed; its sheathed form is part of its entry animation (and possibly certain moves).

- Octillery and Honedge's levels suggest you may get a fishing rod before the postgame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom