• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Honedge's evolved form Doublade unveiled: Has the Ability No Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulbaBot

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur
Reaction score
Honedge's evolved form Doublade unveiled: Has the Ability No Guard

The official Pokémon website's Facebook page has unveiled Honedge's evolved form. Doublade has the Ability No Guard.

Read more on Bulbanews

Not bad, could be worse. Very basic evolution. The blue looked cooler, though. At least it's not as lazy as Magneton, Electrode or Dugtrio was in terms of design, and there are some subtle changes outside of color scheme. And if it has improved stats and good moves, then I'm all for it. So, overall, I like it, and I'll still be using one when XY come out, so I'm good.

... Quite disappointing. The ghost controlling the blades should've revealed itself a bit more for the evolved form, specially since it has No Guard.

It's one of the very few times a design has diappointed me: There really wasn't any reason at all for this to take the multiple-selves direction, and doesn't add to the original design nor concept much.

Oh well. It's not like I haven't set apparently too high expectations with pretty much everything else already.

Last edited:
Darn, I was starting to get used to Honedge too. |P;

Guess it's time to get used to this guy and see whether or not I like him.

Not a favourite design. Still I reserve judgement to using it imgame

No offense, but this is probably my least favorite Pokemon of Gen 6 by far, it's just two Honedges with the coloring changed, when I was expecting something like a sword/shield combination or a humanoid holding Honedge as the sword, but instead we get Klingklang 2.0 here.

No offense, but this is probably my least favorite Pokemon of Gen 6 by far, it's just two Honedges with the coloring changed, when I was expecting something like a sword/shield combination or a humanoid holding Honedge as the sword, but instead we get Klingklang 2.0 here.

It basically is a sword/shield combo. It's a bit more than two Honedges stuck together if you look at the base part. It's definitely reminiscent of a shield or coat of arms now, which is adapting the original design to a different concept.

So Honedge pulls off a Klink/Klang? Well... I guess it could have been worse.

No, like, the problem isn't "oh man multiple-self pokémon are bad". I like Magneton and Klinklang.

Multiple selves pokémon can be an interesting take in a particular concept: Networking for robots joined by electromagnetism in Magnemite, Clockwork for Klink, or even a pretty logical extension of the Whack-A-Mole thing Diglett has going on.

The problem is that... this isn't that case. Honedge (which I really liked) is a ghost possesing a sword. This is still the same ghost ("Doublade is able to coordinate both of its blades")... dual-wielding. Which sure, the dual-wielding and coat of arms is an extension upon the swords part, okay, but not the "ghost" part at all.

I mean, if they wanted to go for dual-wielding, they could've designed the coat of arms/shield/sheath thing in a way it attracts attention more (giving it even more of a subtle face than the sheath of Honedge had, for example) and have the "Honedge swords" with their eyes closed or something that says "no it's not two Honedge together".

In the end, it's really just aesthetic nitpicking here. But it simply doesn't have enough of the "ghost" part it could've had. It works for one part, but I think it conflicts with the other.

The problem is that... this isn't that case. Honedge (which I really liked) is a ghost possesing a sword. This is still the same ghost ("Doublade is able to coordinate both of its blades")... dual-wielding. Which sure, the dual-wielding and coat of arms is an extension upon the swords part, okay, but not the "ghost" part at all.

I thought it was two spirits working together. If it was just the one spirit I don't think it would need to use telepathy to coordinate. I could be (and probably are) wrong, but that's how I've understood it.

Eh, a little dull.
But I guess I shouldn't really complain. I've been fine with all the other Pokemon that just combine with others of their species to evolve. I actually wasn't expecting it to evolve. I would have been fine if it had just stayed in its original form.

I had hoped for a ghostly suit of armor with a sword. Oh well, hope there's a third stage.

It's not bad looking in my opinion. I don't really get the negativity it's getting, the whole ghost knight in a suit of armor concept seemed a bit too unrealistic to me. The concept behind it is that it's supposed to be a coat of arms. Maybe they should of made the shield part a bit bigger so more people would get that, but maybe if it gets a second evolution it will be more coat of arms/sword and shield like.

It is certainly a bit disappointing and a boring design for an evolved form. Though, the boring design for Pokemon series is not something started by now.

Not just adding another sword, but I would like it more if Doublade also receive changes in the blade itself. Currently Honedge and Doublade is just a typical plain Broad Sword. Why don't change it to something else such as Zhanmadao (斬馬刀), a very large sword existed in Chinese history, where it is used to knock down warriors riding on horses; or maybe the well-known fictional sword in Jin Yong's fiction, the Heavenly Sword (倚天劍) and Dragon Slayer (屠龍刀).
Personally, I just love the designs of swords from many JRPG games. Such as FFVIII Squall's Lionheart, FFX Tidus' Brotherhood, Tales of Phantasia Cless' Eternal Sword, etc. Since Doublade has two blades, why don't make it like the Tales of Symphonia Lloyd's Material Blades?

Obviously with No Guard, DynamicPunch and other low accuracy moves, as well as one-hit KO moves, will be ideal. And since Doublade will be weak to dark type moves as of the release of X and Y, DynamicPunch will be ideal.(If he doesnt have DynamicPunch, I will be severely disappointed) Not to mention that fighting is super effective against 5 other types. Also, with the Steel type, Doublade will be a terror to the fossil evolutions, and will take half damage from all their moves. It will also be useful because of the buff to ghost types, and steel is super effective against fairy. BRING ON THE DOUBLADE!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom