• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S16 EP42: Team Rocket's Shocking Recruit!

Okay, I’m getting really tired of this. If I have to sit through another episode of Iris being an ass, then I’m going to detonate something! As this episode opens up, I already know where this is going. And it SUCKS!

Why the hell should Emolga be watching Axew? We already know that thing is incompetent! Iris shouldn’t be leaving him regardless of whether Emolga watches him or not. I’m tired of Axew just being treated like a baby all the time and getting into trouble. And then Iris favors him and lets Emolga leave without even caring to figure out what happened.

So Emolga has this fascination with the word “Emo”. It’s just really fun to hear everyone say “Emo” over and over.

And what the hell was that random thing with Iris and Axew at the end? So she just starts screaming to Axew for NO REASON?! He wasn’t even in any danger! HE WAS STANDING STILL! Why was she making such a huge deal? And she can all of a sudden magically
tell what happened? Are. You. Serious? DEM much? What the literal hell?

I can’t even much say anything else. -_- I’ll give it a -26/10.

And what the hell was that random thing with Iris and Axew at the end? So she just starts screaming to Axew for NO REASON?! He wasn’t even in any danger! HE WAS STANDING STILL! Why was she making such a huge deal? And she can all of a sudden magically
That was Iris's ability to read the hearts of Dragon type Pokémon.

Revealed in BW027 and this one Iris first showcased it in BW089.

That was Iris's ability to read the hearts of Dragon type Pokémon.

Revealed in BW027 and this one Iris first showcased it in BW089.

I know what it was, but, to be clearer, why has it here?! Why did this just randomly happen? It seemed way to DEM to me and I just hated the way they did it like that.

I REALLY Thought, this Episode was Good and Funny.

Team Rocket IS ABSOLUTELY HISTORICAL IN THIS Episode, and them and ALL of there BW Pokemon were out and that was Nice to see.

Iris WAS A COMPLETE *ITCH Here I Think, ACCUSING Emolga immediately for Hurting Axew before She could explain what happened.

Emolga Probably is the Funniest thing in this Episode I Think. She was Cunning and Smart, was Good and Clever.

Axew Crybaby as Usual but I did NOT Mind him this time, Him and Emolga are Cute together.

Hw can I say about the Exploud, Oh Yeah, AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HE IS A CANNABALIST RUN FOR YOUR LIVES.

Iris seeing through Axew was Good, haven't seen that since she got Dragonite.

WHY DID THE Writers have to have Alexa DO NOTHING WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Overall, I Give this Episode a 10/10 VERY Good and Team Rocket is at their Best I Think.

So Emolga has this fascination with the word “Emo”. It’s just really fun to hear everyone say “Emo” over and over.
Jessie's "To denounce the evils of emo and love" was the best one of those lines, though I'm amazed a line like that made it in.

Something I really don't like about the episode is that it reduced some of the Pokemon's characters to one thing - Oshawott appeared just to anger Pignite, Scraggy just to Headbutt Emolga - then being recalled to their Poke Balls not to be seen again.

That said, at least they appeared in the episode, unlike the random absence of Stunfisk and Crustle from the group eating scene.

Still annoys me that Axew is treated as a baby that needs to be watched yet he's strong enough to explode an Exploud and Iris keeps getting told she's raising him well and is on her path to being a Dragon Master.

One of the weakest Da! episodes overall.

Did Jessie really said "To denounce the evils of emo and love"? LOL, how did a line like that made it in?
And why are Iris and Ash they assuming their Pokémon are all friends between them when they clearly aren't?

Team Gara basically hit the nail on the head when she complained about Axew being treated like a baby again and again. What makes me even more angry is the fact that although wonderful Cynthia deemed Axew mature and worthy of battling against her precious Garchomp, the writers seem to have gone back to seeing it as a baby that won't be safe without somebody constantly looking after it. Not a good way of developing a character at all if you ask me.

As for the story itself, I liked the plot and I think it had potential but what really bugged me was the awful and exaggerated amount of screaming and shouting throughout the episode, especially all those many high-pitched voices that really made it hard to listen. Was that really necessary?

As I said before, an episode with potential if only it had been a bit more mature.

Silly James, trying to use Stun Spore on Emolga. Don't you know electric types can't be paralyzed any more? :p

I always enjoy watching the Emolga/Snivy rivalry and I'm glad that it was present in this episode, albeit limitedly. I think Emolga made the episode entertaining, what with her "emo emo emo" fantasy thing and prettying herself up for the second motto (even though Meowth cut them off before she could do anything). I also really liked Meowth's "You don't wanna know" translation of Emolga and Snivy's little fight.

But aside from Emolga, the rest of the episode wasn't too great. I admit that I completely forgot about Iris's heart reading ability and it seemed like a Deus Ex Machina when it happened this time. Doesn't she have to actually touch them or something? And was it really necessary to read Axew's heart to figure out what really happened? They had already considered that it wasn't Emolga's fault, so that should have been enough. Leaving Axew alone with Emolga of all the Pokémon was also not one of Iris's better decisions.

The random wild Exploud reminded me of the Loudred from Gotta Dance!

This episode was ok. Team Rocket's motto with Emolga in this episode was both odd and interesting at the same time. Iris sure learned a lesson about knowing what really happens before placing the blame on someone. Although it was odd the way she was able to read Axew's heart from so far away, I think it was to show how close they had both become where she wouldn't have to be so close to be able to do that.

Meowth was quite amusing in this episode, trying to keep up with all of the commotion with the angry Pokemon bickering back and forth, and Emolga telling Axew her real plan. His expressions were very funny at some points. It was nice to see Exploud have the final attack in mid-air to blast off Team Rocket after what they put it through.

So Iris can read Dragon's minds now. What is this sorcery?

Silly James, trying to use Stun Spore on Emolga. Don't you know electric types can't be paralyzed any more? :p

Not gen 6 in anime land yet ;o. Dubbed anime land at least.

Last edited by a moderator:
Terrible episode, TR was unbearable even by DA! standards, the episode seemed like a waste of time after you found out Emolga was tricking TR (you'd think Meowth of all characters would have known that), dialogue sucked, Axew was a bigger baby than ever.

21/100.

This episode just plain proves something I've been saying for a while now: Don't jump to conclusions because if you do it can get you into a whole lot of trouble. In this case that would be emolga pretending to join team rocket (who should really go back to playing the exact same role they played in Unova for the rest of the series) which resulted in both her and axew getting locked up in a glass cage with pissed off exploud. And also at the end of episode Cilan tells Iris that she is one step closer to becoming a dragon master. I could not disagree with him about that anymore than I do now. In my opinion if she's just gong to jump to conclusions about her pokemon like that then has taken a huge step away from becoming a dragon master. So what do you guys think, do any of you agree with me about any of my opinions? That includes the part about team rocket.

I have to admit the highlight of this episode was to witness emolga traunce Team rocket so easily, I mean she took out four pokemon with just raw power, makes me wonder why Iris does not use her more....Also Iris was a jerk, thats kind of basic for her personality, but one would think that after building her relationship with Dragonite and having to regain Excadrill's trust she would know better. Furthermore, It was nice to see emolga reject Iris even though they have so much in common personality wise and they don't even try to realize it. Emolga was just great great in this episode, but Iris kind of an eh reaction for me.

I have to admit the highlight of this episode was to witness emolga traunce Team rocket so easily, I mean she took out four pokemon with just raw power, makes me wonder why Iris does not use her more....Also Iris was a jerk, thats kind of basic for her personality, but one would think that after building her relationship with Dragonite and having to regain Excadrill's trust she would know better. Furthermore, It was nice to see emolga reject Iris even though they have so much in common personality wise and they don't even try to realize it. Emolga was just great great in this episode, but Iris kind of an eh reaction for me.
I do have to agree with you about how Iris acted. She was completely out of line when she pinned the blame for axew getting hurt on emolga. She didn't even bother finding anything to support her claim. She might as well have said "Emolgas already used discharge two of the other pokemon so that means she hurt axew and that's all there is to it". I mean really that's the same that officer Jenny did to Iris's dragonite in the episode Iris and the rogue dragonite. She didn't bother to look for evidence to prove her claim she just instantly decided that dragonite was guilty. And that is also the reason why I have absolutely zero respect for that officer Jenny and also why I think that she should find a new line of work. Anyways my point is that Iris wasn't any better then that officer Jenny because they both made the exact same mistake.

Last edited:
I do have to agree with you about how Iris acted. She was completely out of line when she pinned the blame for axew getting hurt on emolga. She didn't even bother finding anything to support her claim. She might as well have said "Emolgas already used discharge two of the other pokemon so that means she hurt axew and that's all there is to it". I mean really that's the same that officer Jenny did to Iris's dragonite in the episode Iris and the rogue dragonite. She didn't bother to look for evidence to prove her claim she just instantly decided that dragonite was guilty. And that is also the reason why I have absolutely zero respect for that officer Jenny and also why I think that she should find a new line of work. Anyways my point is that Iris wasn't any better then that officer Jenny because they both made the exact same mistake.

Solid points I had not thought of that officer Jenny when posting. Still i have to agree with you completey, seems like Iris completely ingored the fact that emolga could have been innocent. I think this shows that Iris might care for her Dragons more than her other pokemon. I mean she completey said that "dragon pokemon cannot be bad" yet her own emolga is treated like a third rate and bothersome pokemon especially when it comes to comparing axew to emolga. It just does't make sense.

Solid points I had not thought of that officer Jenny when posting. Still i have to agree with you completey, seems like Iris completely ingored the fact that emolga could have been innocent. I think this shows that Iris might care for her Dragons more than her other pokemon. I mean she completey said that "dragon pokemon cannot be bad" yet her own emolga is treated like a third rate and bothersome pokemon especially when it comes to comparing axew to emolga. It just does't make sense.
Exactly.

Oh! I so love episodes focusing on Iris and Emolga.

Emolga protecting Axew like a big sister was kinda cute. Of course, I just LOVE when Iris and Emolga fight with each other, because they are so cute and funny. Then, we have Emolga's conniving ways and her ribalry with Ash's Snivy. And of course, Emolga is a strong battler. I mean she alone took down all of Jessie and James's Pokémon.

I am glad everything was sorted out in the end between Iris and Emolga (though that was expected), and Iris evens gets to show some more of her skills as a Dragon Master.

Overall, a pretty fun episode, with loads of cuteness. It did have a few faults, but, for me, they were over-ridden by Emolga's cute and conniving ways.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom