• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S17 EP15: An Appetite for Battle!

Oh boy, another Clemont focused episode! And of course, I loved it! But why did they have Ash in the title card when it was originally Clemont. I hope this doesn't become a frequent thing.

So Clemont cooked for everyone? Geez it's like every male companion cooks. I thought that Bunnelby picking up after the group was adorable. And Fennekin and Froakie "hanging out" in the background was nice as well.

Anyway, I found Chespin so selfishly stuffing its face to be rather odd, especially after it generously shared the other macaroons back in episode 10. But at the same time, I guess these things never fade away quickly. The battles were ok for just trying to get Chespin back in shape. Froakie was cool and got to show off another move, but what I really liked was Bonnie volunteering to battle and Dedenne actually winning. Too bad Fennekin didn't get to fight though.

Clemont never ceases to amaze me with his inventions. But how on earth did he expect Chespin to use that treadmill. You'd think he'd make a smaller version, but whatever. Maybe he just wanted to test it first.

I like the fact that Clemont was having the dilemma of considering leaving Chespin with the old lady and the others having to talk him out of it. It shows that he still has confidence issues and still needs the support of his friends to develop. And it also shows how he wants Chespin to be happy. But my gosh this kid is so pessimistic. He tries to help Chespin lose weight with a few battles and then thinks he doesn’t like him anymore. Geez Clemont, lighten up.

I loved how Clemont ran in to save Chespin with his Aipom Arm. The thing blocked a Flamethrower. That's awesome. I loved seeing Delphox, being my favorite fully evolved Kalos starter. I also thought it was cool how Wiley carried a stick and that Delphox uses a stick as a wand. The Chespin vs. Delphox was good for what we got, but wish is would have used some other moves other than Flamethrower and Will-o-Whisp over and over, like a Psychic move. Also sucks that we didn’t actually get to see Mystical Fire. Glad Chespin put up a good fight. I'm really loving the relationship between Clemont and Chespin.

Now for the other little things that I loved. Bonnie's Tyrantrum pajamas. Just the most adorable thing ever. Seeing her and Serena bonding is always great. What was also good was that Serena had a minor bit of growth when she began to like camping at the end of the episode. So yeah, the episode was really nice. 9/10.

Last edited:
This episode was alright, not quite as good as the last one. The part with Serena and Bonnie imitating Pokémon was cute, and I thought Chespin and Clemont's interactions at the end were cool as well. Not much really happened, though.

EDIT: The part about the old man's back was actually pretty funny, same with the old woman not understanding or caring about what Clemont was saying.

I think it was Ok, I think it was BETTER then the Last few Episodes and it was Funny and Entertaining and I Got it.

Chespin WAS SOOOOOOOOOOO HILARIOUS Today, I MEAN I Laughed at Fat Chespin. Funny how they make Chespin Selfish and have him eating the Macrons for itself LOL.

Bunnelby Picking up Food was Nice and both Froakie and Fennekin Interacting was Good. Chespin Battling both Froakie and Dedenne was Alright, RANDOM how Froakie just knows Pound LOL. Bonnie Wins even though NOT a Trainer with Dedenne was Ok.

I do Like the Sisterly like Interactions with Serena and Bonnie is Cute. That Invention Clemont made LOL on the Treadmill.

Now the Old People, WOW THEY WERE VERY FUNNY, Jason Griffith as Wiley, LOL HE WAS SOOOOOOO GOOD, that Southern Old Man Accent was Good. The Old Woman Giving Chespin more Macrons LOL.

Clemont has trouble with Opinions, this Guy SERIOUSLY NEEDS To Work on Self Confidence, LOL. Him Bonding with Chespin was Good I Thought anyway.

Overall, I Liked it, Funny at Times, I Give it a 7.7, and NO Team Rocket YES

Clemont you sweet silly fool, you'd be a good trainer to stop that damn Chespin from overeating.

A filler plot we haven't seen before, which is ok in itself. A couple of things did get on my nerves though - Ash on the title card again, even though it's obviously an episode about Clemont. Why there are American hicks in what is supposedly a vaguely french region I have no idea.

And seriously - Froakie, again? I suppose I'd best just assume that it'll be nothing but Froakie till Ash catches another pokémon, 'cause Fletchling has been doing nothing but fly around scouting since the Gym Battle

Well, this episode starts off annoyingly because Serena’s still too girly to sleep outside. Because when I go on an adventure, I never take into account the possibility of having to camp. Honestly, it’s as if the writers are trying to make Serena unlikable.

At least Chespin is honest and didn’t hide the fact that he ate all the macarons. Still, I don’t see how all the big eater Pokémon never get scolded as harshly as others. It’s just, “Oh well. What are we gonna do?”

I’m surprised Ash asked for a battle suddenly. I mean, that is the premise of this show, so, why doesn’t he do it more often? I would like to see the group just causally battle each other occasionally.

Well, Chespin’s Gluttony is coming back to kick him in the ass as he battles. Maybe he’ll learn a lesson from this and it won’t become a recurring theme, OSHAWOTT!

Wow, even Bonnie is making challenges today. Glad to know she’s into battling AND was able to pull off an awesome win.

Serena’s able to redeem herself a little by making Pokémon impersonations with Bonnie who's still rocking those adorable Tyrantrum pajamas~

Good thing Clemont tried out his machine for a second or so, since he really does need to exercise. But it seemed quite intense for Chespin. And I still don’t get how he survives all these explosions.

You know, I felt it was noteworthy that all these speculations about where Chespin went would probably be reasonable on a normal day. Especially since on a normal day, they usually take a while to realize what happens when their Pokémon disappear. Too bad,
Chespin just left to eat.

Okay, macarons must be a popular food/snack/whatever they are/thing. They’ve been everywhere since Unova. What the hell is a macaron?

Quite sad how Clemont couldn’t see past Chespin’s Gluttony to even go ask him if he wanted to stay there with the woman as opposed to just leaving. He’s got quite the bit of self-esteem issues just beating himself up like that. Besides, last time there was a kind looking old woman who fed her adopted pets a lot, she tried to eat him (if anyone gets this reference, you get a cookie).

Anyway, apparently this old chick and her husband are the arguing type. They’re pretty funny. Why the hell did she think she could win with a Grass-type fatass like Chespin, though, particularly since she knows her husband’s Pokémon?

So anyway, apparently they also settle disputes with battles? These two are hardcore. But she didn’t really think too deeply into this, did she? She didn’t even know any moves of Chespin’s to order. How on earth did she expect to win? Whatever, it is cool to see Delphox in the Anime, though. I like its design here much more than its official artwork.

So Chespin’s obviously losing to this man’s Delphox’s two moves. And I guess that Aipom arm is fireproof. At least Grampa was worried about burning that kid alive. Most people would probably just be shocked.

Anyway, Clemont decides to finish this battle for whatever reason, orders a bunch of dodging, and Chespin miraculously sheds off the weight, and makes Tackle the strongest move ever. Wow, if Chespin wins this, that’s some real Dues ex Machina sh*t if I’ve ever seen some.

He even gets…the Overgrow? No, haven’t you been reading Clemont? Chespin’s ability is Gluttony.

“NOW!! MYSTICAL FAAAAAAA-” *CRACK* That was the funniest thing I’ve ever seen. ._. Ever. EVER. EVER! Seriously, that was the highlight of this episode and series so far. Am I the only one who found that funnier than life itself?

Anyway, I guess, despite the fact that the old man clearly should be the victor, he’s go for a draw, because it’s not like Delphox could have just used the move itself. -_-

And everyone gets cake. Yay! And the old geezers make up. Hooray!

Clemont doesn’t get liked very much, it seems, as he’s seemingly desperate for Chespin’s affections. -o- That’s a bit sad.

That was a cute Weedle at the end. I love these little environmental details. And wow, Serena actually wants to camp now? Well ain’t that a surprise?

Overall, a pretty slow episode at first, but ended up being really nice. To be honest, once Grampa joined, the two old geezers really made this episode hilarious. But otherwise, the episode was a bit…meh. Serena still manages to annoy, and Chespin’s eating habits really need to be taken into account so this stops happening. Though, Bonnie and Dedenne did get 15 seconds of fame and Clemont gained a bit of a self-esteem boost, it seems. Also, that dude’s back broke. And that was hysterical. Finally, what is with these title cards showing Ash when they aren’t about Ash? TPCI, STHAP!

Final Score: 5/10.

"You're my special partner, Chespin" Massive slap in the face to poor Bunnelby

Something that bugged me more than usual in this episode - all of Clemont's mentions of 'it' when referring to Chespin. I don't get why genders need to be so secretive in the first place, but it makes Clemont sound really distant in his dialogue with the references to Chespin as 'it', which doesn't help when he's trying to sound emotive about things.

Obviously it's not something easy for the dub to solve - if they aren't being told the genders, it's better to not just guess and potentially guess wrong, and it's not their fault English is awful when it comes to being gender neutral about things; but it made the scenes sound a bit odd to me.

Interesting also how Serena didn't really make the connection between her Fennekin and Delphox - instead just commenting on the type match up. While it's nice that she's thinking about type matchups, some interest in how her own Pokemon would develop would be nice.

I have to wonder about the placement of Pokemon Centers if this episode was the first time camping outside came up - they've travelled quite long distances between towns, and presumably had to do a lot of off screen travelling - yet they've managed up until now to be at a Pokemon Center each night?

That's what I would call a standard episode because neither anything great nor anything bad happened, so only a few comments on this and that:

I can't help but wonder why Ash always gets to meet his personal slave who happens to be good at cooking, be it Brock, Cilan or Clemont. And they all happen to be brilliant chefs. Seriously? How do his rivals handle that, for example Paul or Trip who are travelling alone? They don't look to me as if they were frequent customers of Mc Donald's.

Oh yeah, I guess I already mentioned a couple of times that I hate to see Clemont's so-called inventions blow up every(!) singel(!) time! You can do that once or twice but now it's slowly but surely making him look silly and incompetent.

I also wonder why Ash is staying in the background so often at the moment. I want those good old Ash-centred episodes back!

I for one would have loved to see a full battle between Delphox and Chespin! The battle ending in a draw wasn't very satisfying if you ask me.

Hehe, I thought that old couple was really cute, especially because of the fact that after so many years, they still seem to tease and love each other. Nice!

All in all, a decent episode.

“NOW!! MYSTICAL FAAAAAAA-” *CRACK* That was the funniest thing I’ve ever seen. ._. Ever. EVER. EVER! Seriously, that was the highlight of this episode and series so far. Am I the only one who found that funnier than life itself?

Yeah, I think you're the only one ;) I for one, didn't find it funny but rather the opposite!

Serena without her hat, looks so much better :O. Should be able to do that in the game as well though ;-;

Ash should've offered Serena to stay in his Tent with him heh heh heh.

Chespin, what a jackass. Thought he'd learned before when he shared the Maccarons.

A Pokemon being a fatass and sucking in battle is new and unqiue, good stuff.

Good Swaldoon impression actually. For what reason would you put a ribbon in your hair to sleep though? would it keep it tidy?

Just have a normal treadmill o.o

Dem Tyrantrum PJs.

Scooby Doo split ups, shame Fred I mean Ash and Daphne I mean Serena didn't split up to go 'search' like in Scooby Doo. I guess Pikachu is Daphnea :O

What is it with Pokemon and Maccarons all of a sudden, I don't even know what they are.

Damn a possible "maybe I should leave ____" episode, didn't expect that.

"Why isn't Chespin with you" He could've recalled it Serena, yes that's a thing!

Aw, thought the old people hated each other, that would've been fun. She really thought a first stage grass type could beat a third stage fire type? not seen the battle yet but it wont go well.

So Delphox can't use Flamethrower without the stick, seems it wouldn't be too hard to beat by just knocking that away then.

Why even bother continuing the battle Clemont, you'll ever get your ass kicked or win by BS, let's see.

Rolling around as you're a fat ass, the greatest strategy of all.

Knocking away the stick, dats stealing my idea.

Was expecting Flare Blitz D:

I wouldn't have let randoms have my cake :O

Decent episode.

FYI guys, macarons are just poncy biscuits. I think they're a French invention, but don't quote me on that one

I'm pretty sure it's a is predominantly a French confection as well. It's interesting to see all the little French references they've been making to go along with the French theme of this gen.

Then again, the Victini movie had a lot of macarons in it as well without the French setting. I really wish Serena was putting that skill towards making PokePuffs so it was relevant.

I also wish that Clemont wasn't as good at cooking - it makes sense that he learnt it to be able to care for Bonnie who'd be too young to cook, but that should mean him making food that's simple, and perhaps trying crazy inventions to cook things for him - not just be able to suddenly produce Cilan-like feasts or Brock-like Pokemon Food without it having been a focus of his.

Above all that - I really wish Ash was forced to fend for himself food wise occasionally. Just show him opening a bag of chips occasionally, or warming up a can of spaghetti - he doesn't need to be good, but just show that he isn't totally dependent on having bumped into random strangers on the journey. While Serena might not have been used to camping, at least she seems independent when necessary, a massive contrast to Ash.

Then again, the Victini movie had a lot of macarons in it as well without the French setting.

However, Eindoak Town (where the movie was set) is based on a village in France. The Sword of the Vale was based on Mont Saint Michel, but I may be getting a bit off topic.

I think this episode made it clear that Clemonts Chespin has a problem when it comes to macarons. And on that note here's what I think: Whenever Serena makes macarons she should put them under lock and key (literally) so that Chespin can't get into them.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom