• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY031: Lucario VS Bursyamo! The Cave of Trials!!

Reaction score
XY031 - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia

Well, that's new.
(courtesy: Story_terror on Twitter and Gin for the RT)
NJ7py2W.jpg

Ash and Serena look cute there. Also, Clemont... xD
courtesy: Story_terror on Twitter)
IYdqlt1.jpg

Last edited:
Egh, sorry I'm using a phone now so the pictures kinda broken so can you send the link instead please?

The Pokémon rendition of Ranma vs. Ryoga alone is worth a 10/10 from me! (Man, I still haven't managed to let go of that show)

Although the start of the episode was a bit lackluster, the battle was awesome, and best of all, Team Rocket didn't stay around long enough to ruin this episode (unlike many others in XY so far)!

I thought this episode was pretty nice. Much better than I thought it'd be.

The beginning was pretty entertaining. I liked how that random guy burst out of the stone store to evolve his Helioptile. I also like how when the group went inside to look for Lucarionite, Serena was looking at other jewelry. In fact, I liked how she and Bonnie were gushing over the jewels in the first place.

I liked the photo scene and how it referenced Phil the Photo guy who takes your picture in Geosenge Town. I love how ecstatic Bonnie was about taking the picture and how Serena nudged in closer to Ash when the photographer said to move closer. Clemont, Bonnie, and Korrina looked especially cute with their big, goofy grins. I also liked how Serena got distracted when looking at the picture and had to be called over by Ash.

Nice to see Clemont finally using that solar panel thing of his. Was I the only one lolling at that fact that Serena kept going to Bonnie when she was afraid. Like seriously, she goes to the youngest member who's not even a trainer and only has a Dedenne for protection. I thought it was cool that Lucario could sense the Lucarionite in the cave.

And finally the battle. It was awesome. Blaziken and Lucario were going ham on each other. I loved the part where Blaziken picked up Lucario when he was down and tossed him aside like a ragdoll. Lucario is still awesome. He doesn't even need to be given certain commands. He just attacks. That Bone Rush pinning Blaziken to the ground was awesome. Too bad Gurkinn came out of nowhere and stopped the battle.

And finally, it seems like Lucario will Mega Evolve next time. Overall, a great episode that exceeded my expectations. 8/10.

I thought this episode was pretty nice. Much better than I thought it'd be.

The beginning was pretty entertaining. I liked how that random guy burst out of the stone store to evolve his Helioptile. I also like how when the group went inside to look for Lucarionite, Serena was looking at other jewelry. In fact, I liked how she and Bonnie were gushing over the jewels in the first place.

I liked the photo scene and how it referenced Phil the Photo guy who takes your picture in Geosenge Town. I love how ecstatic Bonnie was about taking the picture and how Serena nudged in closer to Ash when the photographer said to move closer. Clemont, Bonnie, and Korrina looked especially cute with their big, goofy grins. I also liked how Serena got distracted when looking at the picture and had to be called over by Ash.

Nice to see Clemont finally using that solar panel thing of his. Was I the only one lolling at that fact that Serena kept going to Bonnie when she was afraid. Like seriously, she goes to the youngest member who's not even a trainer and only has a Dedenne for protection. I thought it was cool that Lucario could sense the Lucarionite in the cave.

And finally the battle. It was awesome. Blaziken and Lucario were going ham on each other. I loved the part where Blaziken picked up Lucario when he was down and tossed him aside like a ragdoll. Lucario is still awesome. He doesn't even need to be given certain commands. He just attacks. That Bone Rush pinning Blaziken to the ground was awesome. Too bad Gurkinn came out of nowhere and stopped the battle.

And finally, it seems like Lucario will Mega Evolve next time. Overall, a great episode that exceeded my expectations. 8/10.
Judging from the preview for next episode, Lucario goes out of control.

Anyway! This episode started rather slow paced up until Lucario sense the Lucarionite. I thought the battle with Blaziken was awesome, both of them going ham. I also like how Ash was supporting Korrina, telling her not to give up especially as she's a Gym Leader. Lucario is just one of those Pokemon that makes fight scenes look cool, I mean I got Pokemon Origins vibes from this like with Charizard Vs Mewtwo.

All in all, the episode could of been better paced in the beginning, but it was awesome towards the later middle half. 9/10

I'll just go ahead and say I love Tamagawa's animation. All the facial expressions in this episode are priceless.
Also, Wobbuffet did really good visual comedy this time, much more than the usual.

Seeing the battle between Gurkins Blaziken and Lucario was the biggest highlight. But seeing how Gurkinn has Blaziken and is the mega evolution guru, it may be able to mega evolve. I mean why would a guru on this type of evolution only have one pokemon who can mega evolve does not make sense. Also with the new intro, it looks like we are going to see many new mega evolutions and a awesome battle between Froakie and Korrinnas lucario in mega form:)

I thought this was a really neat episode. I'm really feeling this Korrina arc and so far these episodes are not disappoint.

~The beginning with the gang in Geosenge Town was colorful. I was wondering how the writers would carry out the town, especially given the episode's second half, but the job was decent. However now I'm upset because Reflection Cave had such a shoehorned debut.

~Not a bad idea thinking a Mega Stone might be among the stone shops. Also the beginning with the trainer and his Heliolisk, and Clemont's own Heliolisk reference, was pretty nifty. Now the Kalos gang also knows of Pika's preference on not evolving.

~The group picture!!!! It was so cute! Everyone had great smiles, and Clemont really is shy around this stuff (photography, video recording) apparently. I'm glad they are keeping this characteristic consistent. Also, Serena clearly fawning over her copy is because now she has a personal item of her and Ash. I bet you 100%.

~Team Rocket in, and Team Rocket out. I think that Inkay and Pumpkaboo should have been seen with them during their blastoff. That way, whatever threat TR faced would appear more...threatening.

~Lucario vs Blaziken. Pretty intense fight between two fighting type power houses!! Blaziken picking Lucario up by the head and throwing it like a doll against the wall was very Naruto/Bleach-esque to me. Also Korrina falling back from the intensity of the flamethrower, along with her picture burning, was a powerfully conveyed. I just wish that both Pokemon would have displayed a better move-set; I'm tired of seeing Lucario do whack-a-mole with bones or glow-glow punches. I will admit though, that final Bone Rush was pretty awesome.

~Ohohohoho so Gurkinn was the one to own Blaziken. Didn't see that coming. I knew it belonged to a Trainer, but I wasn't expecting him. Ironic how it is also a fighting type capable of Mega Evolution.
Oh. Is anyone else disturbed by Gurkinns ridiculous eyebrows? *shudders*

Overall, nice episode.

Oh. Is anyone else disturbed by Gurkinns ridiculous eyebrows? *shudders*.

Yeah Gurkinn is ugly! But their trying to add family resemblance (not all children have to look like the parent, they can also resemble their grandparents or even their aunts and uncles), like (take me for example) many people say I look like my grandma. It'd be ridiculous if Gurkinn looked like an aged Korrina (same hair, same face, like a clone but a male and 50+ years older), then he'll look like an old woman (would you rather see a grandpa looking like a grandma? Or something else?). Okay bad! If that's what they want try better.

IYdqlt1.jpg
I loved the picture (too bad it was destroyed by Blaziken's flames because Korrina will be carrying around a lovely memory). Even Korrina loved it too! (that smile when she looked at it), either it's the natural "girls want to look pretty" thing or "She's happy she next to Clemont". So she will show this to Gurkinn? She made it sound like Gurkinn has to be the parent and take care of her. What hits me is I don't think Gurkinn is her primary caretaker, she probably has a nanny or an aunt or uncle ( or both) or a step parent and aunt/uncle. The old man won't be happy if he found out hid granddaughter is attracted to a boy. Why is Gurkinn still blonde? He should have gray hair, maybe dyed it, etc. And where on earth is his second glove? Either a kid might have flushed or threw it over the fence or in a lake or his pokemon destroyed it. It looks like Ash's glove too!

Last edited:
This episode was pretty good. I really liked what the Lucarionite looked like, and the Mega Evolution not finishing in this episode. The battle between Lucario vs Blaziken was good, and I like how Lucario used its Bone Rush bones to hold Blaziken down, and the trainer had to step in and stop the battle.

It's really a shame that Korrina is not sticking around after Episode 34, judging from the previews. But it's perhaps understandable, since she literally overshadows the other female travelling companion, Serena for the past two episodes. Korrina is an amazingly well written and fleshed out character, in the space of a mere two episodes, that it feels an utter waste that she's basically a "Character of the Arc", that's going to disappear afterwards, and only recur occasionally. I feel there's alot of room for interesting dynamics between Korrina and the group, that five episodes will not be enough to cover. In-fact, she shakes up the group dynamics in a very fascinating way, and the group dynamics was already getting quite stale in the last five to ten episodes before Korrina showed up (thanks to Serena's character stagnation).

There's alot of dimensions already packed into her character, in the space of two episodes, and somehow, the scriptwriters are able to pull it off without making it feel rushed. I do not call it good character development yet, but rather, good "character revelation".

Wow, now this was an entertaining episode. I even forgot to write notes while watching it.

- First, let me say I will definitely miss Korrina when she leaves the show
- Oh, Serena. Can you please do anything in this show other than drool over Ash all the time?
- Team Rocket being smarter than usual, at least for once, was really nice
- Ash holding Korrina's bag when she went to fight Blaziken with her Lucario was really cute. I would totally ship them if I were into shipping
- That Blaziken looks really cool. A shame its 3D model looks like crap in the games
- Lucario vs. Blaziken was great
- It is funny how the fire easily burned the photography, but it never burn people's clothes, hair, etc
- "Satoshi, you get me". Aww~ must... resist... shipping...
- Lol @ Grandpa's eyebrows
- Lastly, the new opening song is pure garbage, but the scenes are cool, at least. Mawile \o/

By the way, I forgot to mention in the previous episode's thread, but I liked how the writers finally acknowledge Pikachu's weaknesses to Ground-type moves.

I give this one a 9/10.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom