• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S17 EP20: Breaking Titles at the Chateau!

I enjoyed this episode. It came at a great time since I myself just recently received the title of Grand Duchess in X.

It was nice to see the Battle Chateau and how it functions in the anime. I especially liked how they get different capes based on their rank. (Too bad that isn't in the games). I also like that they included in-game character Duke Turner.

Anyway, the best part of the episode for me was those rapping brothers. Seriously, they made most of this episode for me. Their rapping and “yo-ing” was seriously entertaining, and I thought it was funny that Serena was annoyed by it. But I wonder why though. I also thought it was cute that Serena looked up the Chateau just for Ash.

I love Nico and Chester’s eyes; they look so cute. And speaking of cute, did Bonnie really call that other guy's Dusknoir cute? I mean really? I agree that Pikachu is cute, Dedenne's cute, Fennekin is cute, Ryhorn is kinda cute, and I could even call Garchomp cute in some way. But freaking Dusknoir?! Wow. Bonnie must think EVERY Pokémon is cute. But I like that about her. I also liked in the beginning when she thought the Chateau prize was cake and added that she loves cake. Man she’s adorable.

Grant was awesome. I loved how he was just hanging on the wall when the gang showed up. Then he actually waved to Viola while he was clinging on to it. And then he just fell down. That was hilarious. But how old is this dude. The games made him look like an older teenager, but in the show he sounds like a grown ass man. Hm, maybe his game model just made him look younger to me.

The battles were okay for their time limit. I liked the Pikachu vs. Fletchling battle more than I thought I would. That bird was really tough. And seriously, is this the first time in…millennia that we’ve seen Pikachu’s Poké Ball. But seriously, I really hope Fletchling was Chester’s only Pokemon. I don’t care how much he trained, if he really thought he was going to beat an electric-type with those moves…no. Just no. Grant's and Vilola's battle was obviously the best. Grant almost crushed Surskit with those huge ass rocks. It’s like he was trying to kill it. I really liked how Ash sent out his whole team to watch the battle.

Also that ending with everyone crushing each other after finding out that Grant was a gym leader was really funny. Ya know Clemont, Grant could have been a ground-type gym leader too. Just sayin'. I loved the last part when Serena was like “back to the yo’s, yo”, and Chester responded with “their contagious yo”. He and his brother are so funny, yo. (I really do end a lot of my sentences with yo:)

Overall, it was really nice, yo. 8.5/10.

Last edited:
So Grant is to walls as Byron is to holes... LOVE!!! only Grant trades in emotional shouting with being all suave and shippy around Viola. :p I'm sure that probably wasn't the actual INTENTION but really, many scenes came off suspiciously shippy to me. Didn't expect Grant to have the kind of voice he did, actually! It's not bad, but... it differs from my imagination for sure.

And holy shit this is a time I really need to see the Japanese version of the episode because if those two brothers did the rapping thing in the original too (I imagine they HAD to given their movements), I have to hear that because Japanese rapping is the most hilarious shit I've ever heard. I can understand Serena being exasperated/annoyed with the excessive rapping, but again, I'm applauding her for not being a rude loudmouth about it. And I liked that it rubbed off on her at the very end~. Very cute stuff.

Still amazes me how even short battles in this series can be entertaining and sensible. It probably wouldn't amaze me as much because of certain reasons, but I'll just leave it at that.

But yeah, very fun episode, I really like how they fleshed out the Battle Chateau's history and the fancy uniforms they give to the trainers with titles. Makes me think if Ash really wants to become a Pokemon Master here, he should come back to this place and grind now and then. Because a Master settling for just the Baron title? Pshaaaaw.

So it’s time for the Battle Chateau. I’m a bit confused as to why Serena’s the one so excited about it (I mean, ignoring obvious shipping reasons).

Bonnie’s so cute in this episode, even though she doesn’t have a very big role. I like how she thought the prize might be cake, and later when she said Dusknoir was cute.

And here come these adorable brothers. Looks like they want to be the next Killer Bee; the rapping was so cute. I loved it. But of course, Serena has to complain about it. I also thought it was funny how Ash totally ignored the rapping to check Fletchinder on his Pokedex. I mean, wouldn't it have been awesome if he started saying "yo" and stuff, too?

I didn’t expect Grant to be in this episode, but he’s a funny guy here. He’s always climbing walls. In a suit! That is so funny to me; it’s like the weirdest thing ever and no one bats an eyelash. And seriously, how the hell did he even climb up the wall anyway? I'll also say, I love his voice. I'm not sure who does it, but even if his voice actor isn't, I'm glad they made him sound a bit like a black guy, like what they did with Lenora.

On to the actual Chateau, it’s really cool in the show and almost makes me wish the games were similar. With the capes, at least. I do enjoy easily being able to battle inside the building. :p But I love how classy and fancy it is. And at least the trainers there weren't weirdos or snobs like the actual Chateau!

Aww, Viola did herself up all pretty. Glad to see that she was included here, since it’s true to the games, as well.

I’m upset Fletchinder won when we weren’t looking. Like what the fudge? It feels a little cheap to me when we see matchups like this and we miss how they end since, personally, it seems more likely that the Dusknoir would have won, but I digress; this always happens.

Grant is creeping me the hell out. Like, his wall obsession is pretty damn extreme. And it was hysterical that he clapped while on a wall and fell. Can he please climb on some walls in Z, tho?

Fletchinder’s “Who’s That Pokémon?” music was awesome~

So for Ash’s battle…well damn, I wanted to see a Fletchling fight. The battle itself wasn’t bad, though, and it was interesting to see a stat lowering move in the anime and the reference to Attack, since it’s uncommon. Still would have rathered Ash use Fletchling; he used Oshawott to fight Dewott, Froakie to fight Frogadier, and anytime he sees another Pikachu, he uses you-know-who. So I’m pretty disappointed they decided to give Pikachu the spotlight this time around when Fletchling could use some.

Okay…so…should I be shipping Grant and Viola…cause…they’re being really shippy and I want to ship them now, dammit. >.<

And now they get a battle! To be honest, I was disappointed at first. I literally thought, “What is with these sh*t Pokémon they’re using?!” Duke and Duchess using Onix and Surskit?

But that battle was awesome as hell. The Ice Beam to start it off, Rock Tomb to lower Surskit’s speed, Bubblebeam and Protect to destroy the rocks; the battle was pure eye-candy. Even though I hate that Surskit, I felt bad for it losing. It sounded so scared.

Haha, I get it, Onix’s hard work, because it’s a Rock-type…and has Rock Head...

All that questioning and pestering of Grant at the end was hilarious. Also, Clemont, it could have been a Ground Gym, but I guess only Rock leaders seem to use Onix, so, he’s kinda right to assume.

HA! Yeah, Serena; she knows you can’t deny the “yos”. Speaking of which, I wish the Kawaii Brothers would have rapped more throughout the episode. And I wonder what it was like in Japanese. If it’s anything like Killer Bee in Japanese…eehhh…

Overall, this was a really good episode and I can hardly complain about anything. I really liked the brothers and I seriously want to see them again. Grant was cool…and cute with Viola -w-. The battles were great (specifically Grant and Viola’s) and the Chateau as a whole was portrayed very well in the anime. I’ll give it a 9.3/10.

Okay, about those two brothers, let me say that white guys just should not rap. We're not good at it. (Eminem is the exception.) And for the sake of your liver, do not play a drinking game involving how many times they say the word "Yo." (And I'm starting to think I'm the only one who didn't like it.) At least they didn't do it the whole episode.

Somehow, I doubt Ash is gonna go far past Baron. Apparently, it takes 10 wins to make Viscount, and no way will Our Boy stick around that long.

From now on whenever I think of Viola, I'll see her the way she is in this ep. And nice of TPTB to keep her shutterbugness. Not to mention her Surskit-on-ice strategy.

Spider-Grant, Spider-Grant, does whatever--oh, he fell? Never mind. So much for Peter Parker having any wall-scaling competition.

And holy shit this is a time I really need to see the Japanese version of the episode because if those two brothers did the rapping thing in the original too (I imagine they HAD to given their movements), I have to hear that because Japanese rapping is the most hilarious shit I've ever heard. I can understand Serena being exasperated/annoyed with the excessive rapping, but again, I'm applauding her for not being a rude loudmouth about it. And I liked that it rubbed off on her at the very end~. Very cute stuff.

Oh they did and it was so awesome. They even did it for the Who's That Pokémon. The music they used for them in the original made it better, imo.

A fun episode. I'm glad the rapping was dropped quickly, otherwise those brothers would have joined Nikolai as the most annoying COTDS I can think of. The battles were good fun to watch, really liked the Gym Leader battle (Viola sure cleans up nice when she ditches the slobby tank top). Wasted opportunity to show Ash's Fletchling - I think it's pretty certain now that we just won't see it at all outside of scouting for Team Rocket

The rapping bird brothers are probably the most annoying characters to ever grace the Pokemon television series. If they didn't rely on "yo" (which stopped being funny and became irritating very quickly), their rapping would be tolerable or even interesting, like Tetsuya's raps from Buddyfight. I'm so glad they cut down on the yo frenzy.

I really liked that they used the character designs for the Butler and the Maid.

I also loved how they introduced Grant: he's just hanging on a wall, and Niko comments that the guy loves walls. He spent so much time just hanging around, it was pretty funny. But his wall speech and hand motions were kind of annoying; we already saw that obsession and romanticizing from Connoiseurs near-constantly last saga. (Heck, he uses many of Cilan's iconic hand motions!)

It was an alright episode. Grant had a great debut that showed off his power, and although she lost, Viola proved herself once again to be a vicious competitor.

I'm 2 minutes and 30 seconds into this episode and I already find the rapping brothers annoying.

I liked this episode, yes I really did. The whole background with the castle and battles focussing on chilvalry was a nice idea indeed!

So let me mention a few note-worthy details:
I already said that the Battle Chateau itself was a good idea. What I didn't like, though, was when Duke Turner was kind of insinuating that "normal" battles and gyms were somehow inferior to his chateau. It seems that it must be an exclusive club but on the other hand you earn the title of Baron after just one victory. So, what's so special about that "club" anyway? After all, you aren't a better trainer automatically when you're a Viscount or Duke, otherwise Ash would never have been able to defeat Viola. Thus, I don't think that those titles are very useful in the twenty-first century. They're just an invention for people to brag about if you ask me.
Regardless of all those capes and that chilvalry-thing, the battles themselves reminded me of pretty ordinary battles where the competitors wanted one thing: To win :p That's not meant to be negative, I just wanted to say that I consider those battles as what they really are: Ordinary Pokemon battles which were really good, though!

What I liked most was the battle between Viola and Grant! It's not every day that you see gym leader battle each other (I wished you could see that more often!) We only learn about the gym leaders as isolated characters so to speak but we hardly see them interact with or battle each other. The last time something similar happened was when Flint met Volkner in Sinnoh! That was some great insight into great characters!
As for the battle itself, I loved the intense scenes and the strategies both trainers used. And yes, Onix was quite impressive, so Grant definitely deserves to win!

One last point of criticism, though: Clemont is supposed to be a gym leader, right? How come he doesn't even know Grant? Can't you expect the gym leaders to know each other? After all, Viola and Grant know each other, so it kind of appears to me that Clemont must still be pretty inexperienced.

All in all, a very good episode that was fun to watch!

One last point of criticism, though: Clemont is supposed to be a gym leader, right? How come he doesn't even know Grant? Can't you expect the gym leaders to know each other? After all, Viola and Grant know each other, so it kind of appears to me that Clemont must still be pretty inexperienced.

Grant and Viola seem to know each other because they both go to the Chateau fairly often. They may not necessarily have known each other prior to that just because they were both Gym Leaders. I don't really remember, but I'm pretty sure Misty and Brock didn't know about each other before they met.

I don't really remember, but I'm pretty sure Misty and Brock didn't know about each other before they met.
"Well, what about that girl who keeps following you?"
"Don't forget about my bike, Ash Ketchum!"

They were the most annoying COTD ever YO YO YO YO YO

"When we net meet I'll be a grand duke" - Good job you'll never see Ash again then

Grant having an Onix is still slightly annoying

The yo's got kind of annoying at some points but overall this was a pretty good episode. Grant is a cool character and the part about him liking walls was funny, as well as everyone shoving eachother out of the way at the end. The Battle Chateau is a pretty cool concept and offers an interesting look at the history of Pokémon battling.

I'll start with the negatives first so I can get my frustration out of the way:

- The 'yo' brothers were incredibly annoying, probably thee most annoying characters in the entire series, ever.
- Great to see Fletchling being used AGAIN (Wasn't so annoying though as it had a way better moveset than Ash's Fletchling lol.
- Grant's voice actor, why, why, why, why? First it was weak, then annoying and patronizing, then came the battle with him and Viola, and it got better! He had a lot of rasp in his voice during the battle calling out the moves, which is probably the only positive I can say for Grant.
- Ash using Pikachu for his first battle at the Battle Chateau? I get that there's this thing about him using Pikachu in all his first something or other but it's becoming OTT now... He could've used his Fletchling against the other Fletchling and that would have been a perfect opportunity for the Writers to evolve Ash's Fletchling (if they don't give Ash a new Pokémon soon, I'll go crazy). Even him using Froakie, I would've preferred over Pikachu.

Positives:

- Dusknoir. Was fantastic to see, it kind of made me really happy that they didn't give that Trainer a Bunnelby or something, actually I was surprised they didn't throw him a Fletchling after all the OTT stuff with it lol.
- Viola, I just love her character in general, I hope she makes more appearances, there's something warm about her voice actor and her persona in the Animé.
- The Battle Chateau. I loved how they made it completely relevant to the games with the titles ect, was great to see.
- Onix. Yes, Onix. This is the first time since probably Ash's battle with Brock, that I fell in love with Onix again. Why? Because they did it justice. No random "Use Tackle!" or "Use Bind!", nope. Completely cool and relevant moves that would crush Surskit any day. The way they had it using Rock Tomb was fantastic, same with Flash Cannon. I've never felt so much love for Onix until I watched their battle. Was great.

In all, decent episode, but nothing really blew me away, XY is still looking good and stronger than the BW Series by a long shot already though.

I wouldn't say that I've found the recent episodes that great but there is one small thing for each episode that I do like. Unlike past seasons, when there's a Pokemon from past gens Ash doesn't act like he's never seen it before and they have Serena check it out on the Pokedex instead, likewise with Ash for the new Kalos Pokemon.

Late Review but here it is, this Episode I Enjoyed. Serena and Bonnie Introduce the Battle Chateau to Ash and it appears Serena knew that Ash would Like it BUT why NOT Serena TRY to be Interested maybe, oh wait no it's an Episose that would be JUST be Ash and NOT anyone else in the Group willing to Give it a try.

So while in the Pokemon Center they meet Chester and Nico who............. UGH Rap, and it was SO BAD! See here's the thing, in real life I CAN'T STAND Rapping so Rapping in Pokemon means this isn't Good to Me. But FOR ONCE I Agree with Serena that the Rapping is BAD. So they go to the Chateau and Ash Register's and they see Grant Climbing a Wall (They DON'T Know he is the Cyllage Gym Leader). So Nico the Older Brother with the Fletchinder Battles a Trainer who has a Dusknoir and Funny how Bonnie called Dusknoir Cute LOL hehe. :) Viola also shows up. So this Battles lasts like 30 Seconds and Nico Wins and becomes a Viscount. Viola Greets Ash and he gets Shocked to see her there LOL

So then it's Ash VS. Chester and OMG THAT'S Pikachu's Poke Ball, also I Kinda Wish Ash had told this to Clemont On Screen because I think it would have been Better. So Pikachu VS. Fletchlign happens and a Comment I will make this Comment Fletchling Uses Featherdance, it CANNOT Legally Learn this Move so it's yet another Move that a Pokemon CAN'T Learn in the Anime Like other moves that have appeared Over the Years LOL. The Winner is Ash and he gets his Own Cloak and I LOVED how he looked in it. :) Viola and Grant talk during the Battle.

So now it's Grant VS. Viola and it was good to hear Unsho as Onix as usual but the Battle is Cool. In the Spectator Galley, weird how this is the ONLY SCENE with Dedenne in the Episode LOL, Ash has let out Froakie and Fletchling Watch. So Grant does a Rock Tomb Strategy that Shocked EVERYONE. And thanks to this he is made to Grand Duke. Later on Ash and Everyone find out that Grant is the Cyllage Gym Leader and now Ash wants to Battle him EVEN MORE THAN USUAL.

So Overall Good Episode and Glad there was NO Team Rocket, and I Liked how they handled the Battle Chateau in the Anime so Overall an 8.2

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom