• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S17 EP23: Coming Back into the Cold!

This episode was awesome, except I don't like how they darkened the screen every time an attack was used, and they darkened it TONS.

I thoroughly enjoyed this episode. Got to see the cast having adorable interactions with 2 of my favorite gen 6 Pokémon.

I like how we got to see some more training for the gym battle with Froakie and Fletchling and it’s nice to see that Fletchling still has his evasive skills since the last gym battle. Helioptile and Pikachu's interaction was nice to see as well along with Dedenne. Aside from that moment with Helioptile, I wasn't too interested in Alexa here again seeing as she really didn't do anything. Also, what the hell Ash? “Everyone knows how strong Viola is, but she still lost to Grant.” LOL, it’s like he didn’t even care about her loss.

Wow, so Clemont really likes fossils. But really, how are fossils filled with fun? I’m with Serena on this on. She didn't care much at all, and I understand why. I wouldn’t want to spend my time staring at rocks either. But overall, I liked that we get some more personality from Serena, showing that not everyone is so amazed upon seeing fossils. I also like how Bonnie is always talking to Dedenne about every new thing they come across, like here with the fossils and last time with the aquarium Pokémon.

Now we get to the cute scenes. First, can I just say how adorable it was that Bonnie’s cold weather suit didn’t fit her and how kept Dedenne inside of it. The Amaura hugging and snowball fight with the entire group was adorable. I loved that Aurorus's voice was like it's in-game cry in the original version, so it kinda sucks that it was changed, but I’m not that bothered by it. It was cool seeing how Amura and Aurorus communicate through auroras. I totally forgot that Aurorus could spray cold air out of the crystals on its body, so seeing that was cool too.

Helioptile seems a little inconsistent to me. He’s clearly become less shy than his debut. He greets Pikachu and Ash like he did in XY5 and was happy to see him all throughout their time together. He wasn’t scared of Dedenne at all in XY5 or XY6, but here becomes startled by him and growls at him. But then he shows no fear at all of the giant 8 ft. Aurourus. Why is he scared of a puny Pokemon he’s seen before, but not this new behemoth Pokémon. What’s up with that? I’d hope it was just cuz Dedenne may have startled/upset him, when he came from behind him like that.

Ok, WTF is wrong with TR? I mean, they are idiots. I guess they wouldn’t know that Amaura will die if it gets too hot. Otherwise surely they wouldn’t have turned the heat on in their truck. Not to mention they’d be the biggest asshole idiots in the world. News Flash, you can give your boss a Pokémon to use if it’s dead before you get there.

Clemont and his running. I love Clmeont and his running. What the hell Ash? Can you not recongnize TR from behind. Anyway, glad we got to see Chespin and Fennekin do some battling today rather than Ash handling everything. I like that Serena is doing more battling, and I’m just hoping it doesn't stop. Too bad Fennekin's attack didn't do anything to Meowth, but at the same time at least Meowth was able to show off some more of his battling skills.

And finally we end with more cute playing with Amaura. And Bonnie, stop with the Nuzzling already. Remember the last episode? At least this one didn’t shock her. Overall, nothing I overall disliked other than that little nitpick about Fennekin. 9/10

Were they supposed to air 2 episodes yesterday? Oh well, no harm, no foul. The future is NOW, thanks to the power of the internet.

Yeah, why have they darkened the screen during attacks in the last 2 episodes? Really weird and annoying.

Were they supposed to air 2 episodes yesterday? Oh well, no harm, no foul. The future is NOW, thanks to the power of the internet.

Yeah, why have they darkened the screen during attacks in the last 2 episodes? Really weird and annoying.

While i am glad that we are able to see the episodes early because of the UK but at the same time when they get too close to Japan they will likely stop showing new eps for a good long while like they always do, and we will have to wait weeks for the US to reclaim their number two spot

@PyroKinesis;
The reason for the darkening of the screen in the last two episodes is because they are aired in UK first, and in UK they air XY on a channel called CITV, who are obsessed with darkening the screen everytime anything bright happens. This is why it happens during attacks and being sent out of pokeballs, I really dislike it. Atleast I think that is the reason, I never watched the original japanese versions to see if the screen gets darkened there too, but I'm pretty sure it's just cuz of CITV UK

Enjoyable episodes. I liked the relationship between Amaura and Aurorus. Although I am a bit resentful of how disappointing Aurorus is in the games.

Looks like Ash finally got around to that special trainin’. I would like to see it last longer than the first minute of the episode, though.

So Alexa’s back and she doesn't have Gogoat. Well screw you, Alexa.

“Everyone knows how strong Viola is. Buuuut, she still lost to Grant.” Well damn, Ash. Jerk much? That was hilarious.

“But aren't fossils like bones and rocks and stuff? I don’t think I get the appeal.” Or course you don’t, b*tch. I love how everyone has to help Serena with the sh*t she wants to do, but when something else comes up, she’s just like, hhhnnngg boring.

Did the art look terribly off to anyone else when they were talking to Thaddeus? The eyes appear to be noticeably askew on all of them and it looks worse when they close their eyes a few seconds later.
DP57.jpg

Why did Jessie say “Let’s spy on them.”? They always do it anyway, it’s not like they were going to do otherwise. Stating the obvious much?

WTF Amaura is freakin’ huge! I mean, I kinda knew it was tall, but still, that’s terrifying considering I used one in Y...And Aurorous is gigantic. What’s that thing, like 9’10”? And I love it’s voice in that anime; very similar to the awesome cry it has in the games. Pretty cute how they were all asking for hugs, too. This is like, the cutest scene of playing with a Pokemon ever~

What is with these guys and stating the obvious? Why the hell wouldn’t they be cold? They’re in a room meant to satisfy ancient Ice-Types that is literally filled with snow and has ice covering the walls. Saying that you’re cold in such an environment is like the biggest “No sh*t, Sherlock.” moment in the world. And then Jessie, who is wearing the absolute least amount of clothing doesn’t even complain.

Chill. It’s cool.” Stahp Meowth.

“Can we wrap it up in this century?” “I’d like nothing more to move while I’m still young.” My gosh, Rockets, STAHP!

So basically, Amaura’s going to die if it can’t stay cold enough? Then why the hell do they give it to us in Coastal Kalos?! And didn't Team Rocket hear this when they were spying earlier that the room was made to satisfy Amaura and Aurorus? Why, then, would they not make sure to keep the vehicle cold? I know they try to act like they don't care about the Pokemon they steal to look like badasses, but I don't think Giovanni will appreciate a dead fossil Pokemon...

And it’s such a grand coincidence that Team Rocket just so happened to get a flat tire. -_- I get it, the bad guys have to lose. But if they were going to force Team Rocket to be slowed down, why couldn't it have been due to Amaura’s cold air freezing a tire or something? A random flat tire seems way too forced.

Really? REALLY?! Did Ash REALLY just ask who Team Rocket were? Did he not see the big f*cking R on the truck? Did he not see two adults and a Meowth? Jessie’s long red hair? I am actually at a loss for words on how stupid that was. Even James knows he should have been able to tell. Yeah, Ash, you should have known, you dumbass.

So Fennekin’s apparently no longer a badass and can’t even use Random Purple Fire Attack right to beat Meowth of all Pokémon. I know Serena is barely someone I could attribute the word “trainer” to, but, she really should just quit at this point.

What is up with the dark screen whenever they use attacks? It looks so bad…

What is with these guys and wasting time during crucial moments? Stop standing around telling Amaura to "hang in there" for dramatic effect. Let Aurorus cool the damn thing!

Bonnie should stop saying she wants to get Nuzzled…Did she say that in that Japanese version, too? Because it would have been a great time for Dedenne to have actually done it.

Well, it was a rather cute episode. I enjoyed seeing Amaura and Aurorus, being that they are my favorite Rock-types and the snowball fights and hugging were really adorable. But the large amount of stupidity and annoying Serena in this episode really bothered me. AND WHERE'S MY GOGOAT?!?! 5/10

Amoura was creepy cute

I guess you can never catch one in the show if they need cold, maybe you could get a custom Pokeball

that's one overprotective dinosaur and that's one young scream

Oh come on Ash, you should know Team Rocket, they weren't even in disguise...

Well the 3 team rocket idiots almost killed another pokémon (how many times is that know?). May Arceus have no mercy their souls (I'm dead serious). You know I think this episode shows that those 3 have absolutely no common sense whatsoever. If they did then they would have realized that the reason Amaura & Aurorus are kept in a snow filled room is because they HAVE to be. But apparently that was too much for their brains to handle. I'm not complaining about them by way I am just giving my honest opinion (which is made up entirely of facts) about their role in the episode.

Well now that I've finished with the part of the episode involving those idiots (that's the only thing I'm going to call them) let's move on to the fossil pokémon. It was made clear that Amaura couldn't survive outside but Aurorus seemed to be unaffected so that has me wondering if it's possible for both pokémon to adapt to warmer climates. Obviously Amaura was exposed to too big of a change in temperature for that to happen which was only made worse when the idiots turned up the heat in the truck. It may be possible that if the pokémon were introduced to warmer temperatures gradually then would be able to adabt.

One thing I would like to know is why was Ash training Fletchling for his next gym battle? I'm not saying I don't understand the reason behind it what I'm saying is that Fletchling would be at a disadvantage as far as type match up goes. I always say that there's more to pokémon battles then type match up but it would still be better if he doesn't use Fletchling.

Last edited:
This episode was alright. Both the introduction of Amaura and Aurorus and the twerps' rescue mission were quite fun to watch and I particularly liked that almost dramatic scene when Aurorus was calling out for Amaura with such a sad and desperate tone in its voice. Quite moving.

Another, more general thing: I love it whenever they create dinosaur-like Pokemon, which was obviously the case with Amaura and Aurorus, too. What I don't like though, is their design. Thier bodies and especially their heads and much too round, which makes them look like gigantic, cute toys but not like impressive Pokemon that are meant to resemble a dinosaur. I wish they looked more like the beasts in Jurassic Park if you know what I mean.

Then there was that explanation how Amaura's cry affect the magnetic field in the atmosphere.:confused: Well, it isn't quite illogical but nevertheless it sounds a bit far-fetched to me.
Also, that flat tire seemed like a classical DEM that made the plot too easy. If that hadn't happened, Ash and the others would never have been able to get Amaura back perhaps. Sorry, but a flat tire is too easy a solution to that problem.

All in all, a good episode with some elements that were questionable, though.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom