• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S17 EP34: The Bonds of Mega Evolution!

This episode was okay I guess.

The battle against Mawile was nothing major, but I was glad to see Mega Mawile, as that thing beat Lucario much easier than I thought it would. And man I forgot how big Mawile became after in Megavolved. I thought the little flower arrangement scene was cute. And of course Clemont has to create an invention for this. Did anyone else find it really funny that Clemont just flailed around his arms and did absolutely nothing when his invention was about to blow up? I wonder if Fennekin's fear of getting dirty really did pass. She didn't get upset when she was covered in soot this time.

Anyway, I thought it was cute when Lucario caught Korrina after she recklessly tried to climb that cliff and get the flower and then went up to get it himself. It also seems that Korrina has the eyesight of a hawk since she can see where the crumbled parts of the mountain were from far away. Ok, Korrina was pretty damn rude to Mable. She’s taking the time out of her life to help her out and all Korrina does is whine about how she doesn't want to make anymore arrangements and start training her way (even though that's got her nowhere thus far). Guess she doesn't get the hint that she is being trained, even though Mable has been giving these subliminal hints.

Geez, Mabel didn't even seem to be that concerned that her Mawile was stolen. Ash was more worried than her. And of course, once again Lucario needs to have another mood swing. Ya know, I'm getting really sick of these. My gosh did Inkay's Tackle really do that much damage to this Megavoled steel-type? Geez. Fortunately it looks like this mood swing was the last one. Once again it seems like the trainer just needs to take an attack from their Pokémon, have and conversation with them, trigger a series of flashbacks from the last few episodes and everything is good. I love when Lucario goes ham with that Bone Rush. Ash catches Pikachu and...Serena catches Mawile? Ok...

Anyway, Megavoled Mawile, Thunderbolt, blast off, the end. Oh wait no, one more thing. Lucario...used...Aura Sphere. Why? We almost had it. We almost had one Lucario that didn't use Aura Sphere. Why does every damn Lucario have to use Aura Sphere? I mean I know it’s like their special move, but c'mon. Can we have a little diversity? If there was anything I actually enjoyed about Korrina's Lucario it was that it didn't know Aura Sphere! Oh well.

Finally, Korrina's leaving. I enjoyed her little arc and I'm really excited for her gym battle, but I've gotten pretty bored with Lucario doing the most and the main cast other than Ash to an extent doing nothing. This was a nice way to conclude it. Minus that Aura Sphere. I'll give this a 7/10.

Not a bad episodes. Not the greatest, but it was better then I thought it would be.

Damn, I forgot how small Mawile is compared to its Mega form. That's quite the difference, as it practically doubled its size. The flower arranging was cute, though it was obvious that Korrina, and everyone else, would miss the point completely, even with the hints. Lucario's expression when Clemont's invention exploded was hilarious. Kinda "What the hell just happened!?" as it hid behind Korrina. I guess that is the first time it's ever seen one of Clemont's inventions go kaboom, so it's surprise is understandable. But still funny. And it looks like Fennekin didn't throw a temper tantrum over getting dirty, so maybe that problem is slowly being erased.

The bonding between Korrina and Lucario was good. Though they obviously missed the point at first, requiring an actual explanation to get the full understanding, it was good to see that the exercises did their job. And it looks like Korrina now understands that allowing Lucario to make its own decisions in battle isn't a good idea, as that seems to weaken the bond instead of strengthening it. And man, Korrina must have really good eyesight, able to notice the small strength differences in the cliffside.

TRio makes their move and once again Lucario goes berserk when Mega Evolved. And damn, that Inkay has a power-packed Tackle. One smack was enough to send Mega Lucario flying. Once again, it takes a Trainer to get bitten by their Pokemon to snap them out of a berserk state, though those flashbacks were a very nice touch. Aura calmed and in control. Pumpkaboo sure got smacked around a lot, especially by that Bone Rush. Mega Mawile and Pikachu join the battle with Lucario pulling out its most famous move: Aura Sphere, to finish the job. Guess I shouldn't be too surprised about that, though at least Korrina's Lucario does have a greater variety of moves than most other Lucarios (though Bone Rush is obviously popular with them).

The group parting ways, eager to train some more and get ready for Shalor Gym. I liked this arc. While there were a few moments that got a bit repetitive, overall not too bad, as it clearly addressed a problem and how to solve it. I give it an 8.5/10.

So we’ve made it to Korrina’s new teacher and look at that, Ash is forgetting Pokémon again. He’s clearly seen a damn Mawile before so I don’t know why they couldn’t have had one of the other goons ask which Pokémon it is? I don’t care how long it’s been; how could you forget such an adorable Pokémon?!

And they’re battling right away? That’s awesome as hell! Mega Mawile looks so awesome in the Anime! I love how fast she is! Wish it was the case in the games, tho. And Lucario can still not get his sh*t together. I suppose the two have to keep Mega Evolving or Lucario will never get the hang of it, but damn. Also, who would run Fairy Wind on a Mawile? Come on now. But Mable makes it work.

Do these dumbasses still think Pikachu can Mega Evolve? Like, honestly, it’s getting a little old now.

Korrina was a bit rude saying her time would be better spent training. I mean, sure that’s true, but you shouldn’t question your teachers. Especially when they’re old. Old people know everything. So they’re pretty much doing a wax on, wax off exercise. Why does Clemont have such an invention for arranging flowers? When is he ever going to need that? I love how Mable didn’t give a damn about Serena and Bonnie’s flowers. Mable is awesome.

I was hoping Mawile would have some cooler music. I mean, she’s a pretty badass Pokémon and her music just seemed so Fairy-esque when she’s mainly a Steel-type.

Alright, so some days have passed. At this point, even I’d be so done with the flower sh*t. I mean, even girly-ass Serena’s complaining? What the hell? I figured she’d like boring feminine stuff like that. But if even she’s getting bored then Mable’s seriously…serious about the flower training.

Suddenly Team Rocket! Jessie may be a moron, but she’s still got all the disses. That totally did sound like a song lyric. I’m just saying~

What the fudge, when did Inkay become a badass? Hell, I’d get pissed, too, if I was Lucario. These guys couldn’t have just watched Tenkai Knights and found out about that one heart, mind, ways of thinking sh*t? Also, how come everything Korrina gets ends up getting destroyed? First the picture, now her flower bracelet.

Team Rocket’s Pokémon are seriously annoying this region. Like, they’re actually good. They never stop attacking and they just don’t go down. Consistently! I’m somewhat impressed.

And it looks like Lucario has FINALLY gotten control over his rage sessions. And Korrina endured pain, awesome! Really though, I was hoping she’d do something like this rather than just always stand around in the background and just yell at Luacrio.

MOARMEGAWILEYES!!

Where the hell did Ash come from? This is Mega Mawile Korrina’s battle! I guess Lucario had to control his aura to learn Aura Sphere.

Sooo…Korrina’s gone now…sadface…

Well that was rather…sudden. I wasn’t expecting Korrina’s arc to be so short, to be honest. I mean, I guess they don’t really need to travel together anymore. Lucario got his Mega Stone, Mega Evolved, and can now control his aura. I guess it just sucks to see it all have gone by so quickly. Though I will take faster arcs over severely slower arcs. Mable was a G. I love her and her Mega Mawile. 9/10.

Ash scanning Mawile would have made more sense if that touched on the sudden addition of the Fairy type to it, Ash actually did have something new to learn about Mawile. I wonder how many other fairy types will have episodes without the type being mentioned directly? It seems odd how casually thrown in some of the Mega Evolutions are being, compared to the huge focus on Lucario.

I still don't think they actually resolved the issue - 'Counter it' isn't exactly commanding a move to Lucario - 'dodge upward and hit the Shadow Ball' still gets Lucario to make the decision about what move to use - though seemingly Lucario using a bone as a bat is one of those non-move moves like Froakie's Frubbles. And I find it hard to believe at the end that Lucario was just gearing up that Aura Sphere to wait for a command to use it.

We also still haven't had a battle start to finish without Mega Lucario freaking out - though perhaps that's being held off for the Gym battle?

Chespin really did look like he was having fun with the flowers. Though the aftermath of that explosion is probably the best part of the episode. Quite liked Serena's complaining as well.

God dammit Ash you know what a Mawile is.

Why would you give a Mega Mawile Fairy Wind?

all dem flowers

Lucario da saviour. Lucario x Korrina. Be awks if she said those cliff flowers suck.

Lucario totally needs to evolve against Team Rocket.

Imagine if Lucario ate her arm :O. ...her shirt isn't white enough :\.

First ever Lucario that didn't know aura sphere yet.

Well that was a good arc, see ya for the gym battle Korrina.

I rather enjoyed this episode and it served as a nice closure to the Korrina arc. It was cool seeing Mega Mawile in action, it wasn't one of my favorite mega's but seeing it in action has made me like it a little more.

I thought that the flower arranging scenes and montage was nice. It really seems like they're putting extra detail in the settings and art, because it looks so top-notch and reminds me of something I'd see in a more "mature" anime than Pokemon.

I wasn't expecting Lucario to actually bite Korrina on the arm, but it was a rather strong way to present the climax of the arc. Over all 8/10 for me.

Probably one of the best mini-arcs we've had so far. I loved every single episode and this one was a more than worthy conclusion.
Especially that one scene at the end when Lucario bit Korrina while she was just standing there calmly repeating what Mable told her about one heart and two different views....wow that sure was very touching and impressive alike. I loved it, I simply loved every single one of those intense scenes during the arc, be it that scary sound before Lucario started to freak out, be it all the intense battles or be it the moral of the story. Great!

What I didn't like, though, was how terribly inconsistent the writers once again were when it comes to power levels. On the hand, that small Inkay can hit a mega-evolved Lucario(!) with Tackle of all things... and on the other hand, mega-evolved Pokemon, and Lucario in particular, have constantly been referred to as super-powerful beast beyond measure. It just shows that the writers arbitrarily play around with a Pokemon's strength just as they need it for a particular scene.

Anyways, a fantastic story and I can only hope that we'll get more great characters and Pokemon like Korrina and Lucario in future episodes!

Again, another great episode in this mega evolution arc. Chespin's facial expressions are the best.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom