• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview XY060: Aim to be the Kalos Queen! Serena Makes Her Debut!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Playerking

Not-well known member.
Reaction score
Title: Aim to Become Kalos Queen! Serena's Grand Debut!!
Airs: February 12th.
BRZv7zs.jpg
7KiHPXS.jpg

Could someone please translate these? @Dogasu; @捷克羅姆; @G50;

Here is a translation of the summaries.

Serena finally participates in her first Tripokalon! What kind of performance will she show us!?

Her dream starts! Serena participates in a Tripokalon!!

The Coumarine Tripokalon Tournament begins!

Serena goes on stage for the first time! What kind of performance will she, Fennekin and Pancham show us!?

Make sure to pay even more attention than ever to Serena from here on

Serena's friend Shauna participates as well! From here on they're rivals pursuing the same dream!!

Last edited:
Got this off Serebii. Serena competes in the Rookie Class Coumarine Pokémon Showcase.
Her dream starts! Serena participates in a Tripokalon!!

The Coumarine Tripokalon Tournament begins!

Serena goes on stage for the first time! What kind of performance will she, Fennekin and Pancham show us!?

Make sure to pay even more attention than ever to Serena from here on

Serena's friend Shauna participates as well! From here on they're rivals pursuing the same dream!!

Serena's outfit is pretty boring and simple, compared to the ending ones. With Shauna's outfit we all know what they are trying to do...

An entire episode dedicated to contest appeals. I have a hard time seeing how this can not be boring as fuck.

An entire episode dedicated to contest appeals. I have a hard time seeing how this can not be boring as f**k.

Well, the Appeal Round was my favorite part of the Contests (I didn't like the Contest battles much), so if the Showcases are similar to that I'm going to really enjoy this episode.

Anyway, I still hope there is more than just choreography and combined moves. After all, every Showcase has a different theme, so there are various possibilities for various different performances, which could make it rather unpredictable and varied. Battles aren't the only interesting thing about Pokemon, at least to me.

It will be interesting to say the least.

This is very similar to a poke contest minus the battling (I think) and it's a competition only for females.

At least the writers are giving poke contests a break and trying to show other goals that wouldn't evolve battling ( I think again).

Problem is well Serena make it interesting and will the goal itself be interesting as poke contests?

Only time will tell.

A small preview here.

[video=youtube;83nfUeTDJWk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83nfUeTDJWk[/video]

A small preview here.

Interesting. I saw the female Participants will use Fletchling and Meowstic (female). I wonder how many Participants will be there. I just hope A Gothita or Mime jr. to appear in this episode or Team Rocket trying to interrupt the contest and steal the Participants' pokemon.

A small preview here.

Interesting. As far as it shown Serena's character development are really set to be Performer or something like that. All the things that we waiting for is how she'll handle the first debut to be spectaculary awesome. Lots of opponents including rivals will show their best showcase but I really want to see Serena's show, so I can judge it even it's outside on the screen.

It's funny how one participant looked like she could be related to Claire or Steven and the other looked like she could be Alexa and Viola's little cousin.

An entire episode dedicated to contest appeals. I have a hard time seeing how this can not be boring as f**k.

Well, the Appeal Round was my favorite part of the Contests (I didn't like the Contest battles much), so if the Showcases are similar to that I'm going to really enjoy this episode.

I take issue with the bolded comment, because it seems you missed the point of Contest Battles.

The reason in my opinion is why contests worked because it was so in-depth. The appeal to make your Pokemon's moves beautiful for the judges to earn as many points as possible then there's the contest battles. Which wasn't just about making your opponent's faint, it was about appealing or appearing to be better than your opponent/rival, to showcase your moves in an appealing way that could have resulted in some creative ways to damage your opponent.

The reason showcases do not appeal to me, nor any reason a girl on the main cast should be about showcases, is because not only is it just for girls, it seems to be just about being pretty with no skill or strength whatsoever. I mean I'm sure it has the contest appeal.

I can't see how Serena could ever grow as a character nor could her Pokemon seemingly grow and get stronger themselves, since there is no aspect of battling.

Now I can agree that battling may not be the only thing Pokemon has to offer, but not having your Pokemon grow in strength as a result of battling seems like it misses Pokemon completely. I mean I can't imagine what would happen if Serena was stuck against a villain who has as much skill as a gym leader in Pokemon battles. Ash could do fine, but Serena probably couldn't do all that well and would get in serious trouble as a result because she was too focused on making her Pokemon look pretty.

This is why I don't like showcases because it's all about aesthetics while contests were a combination of aesthetics, skill and strength.

Perhaps that recurring Jigglypuff will make a surprise appearance in this episode? That's a very cool idea, you think?

I take issue with the bolded comment, because it seems you missed the point of Contest Battles.

The reason in my opinion is why contests worked because it was so in-depth. The appeal to make your Pokemon's moves beautiful for the judges to earn as many points as possible then there's the contest battles. Which wasn't just about making your opponent's faint, it was about appealing or appearing to be better than your opponent/rival, to showcase your moves in an appealing way that could have resulted in some creative ways to damage your opponent.

I get that, but I still preferred the Appeal Round. I found it way more fascinating than damaging the opponent with style.

I'm not against combination moves during battles, but I prefer to see them as rare aces under the sleeve or as ways to surprise an opponent, instead of having an entire match dedicated to choreographed techniques. It's a bit too... scripted, for a lack of better words. Almost like a simple theatrical play.

The reason showcases do not appeal to me, nor any reason a girl on the main cast should be about showcases, is because not only is it just for girls, it seems to be just about being pretty with no skill or strength whatsoever. I mean I'm sure it has the contest appeal.

That's actually incorrect. Pokemon Showcases involve coordination between the Trainer and her Pokemon, which is something that can't be made in just a few minutes and needs actual work and a lot of practice in order to not mess up something. Also, they have to make sure to attract the attention of the audience and to entertain them, so they need to train on the various combinations of moves to see how they will appear. It wouldn't be any different from Dawn's training with her various techniques, like the Ice Chandelier.

I can't see how Serena could ever grow as a character nor could her Pokemon seemingly grow and get stronger themselves, since there is no aspect of battling.

Battles aren't necessary for the development of a character. They can develop in other things, like grace and elegance, or in terms of personality (like Fennekin learning to tolerate more the dirt, if necessary). Besides, there could be some moments where they have to battle in order to fully develop a move. I mean, if AG Pikachu had to enter a Showcase Competition, he wouldn't enter while not having mastered Iron Tail and/or Volt Tackle yet, would he? Using those moves wouldn't score him many points, after all.

Now I can agree that battling may not be the only thing Pokemon has to offer, but not having your Pokemon grow in strength as a result of battling seems like it misses Pokemon completely. I mean I can't imagine what would happen if Serena was stuck against a villain who has as much skill as a gym leader in Pokemon battles. Ash could do fine, but Serena probably couldn't do all that well and would get in serious trouble as a result because she was too focused on making her Pokemon look pretty.

I may sound like a broken record at this point, but Serena and her Pokemon could very well develop outside of their goal. After all, Serena found out during the Summer Camp that battles are fun, so she could very well have some battles while she isn't training for her Pokemon Showcases. In this way her Pokemon would grow up both in terms of strength and in terms of Showcases skills.

This is why I don't like showcases because it's all about aesthetics while contests were a combination of aesthetics, skill and strength.

Showcases may not be about strength, but they still require some skill and training. Just like a ballerina has to train a lot to make even the simplest twirl, a Showcase Pokemon and its Trainer need to be in perfect sync in order to create a good Performance. Not having battles involved doesn't mean that a character doesn't need to train in order to reach his/her goal.

Serena in different costumes is the only thing I'm looking forward to xD

It seems like this is from this episode.

B3RC_L8CQAIg2Cs.jpg

So it does confirmed that Jessie would like to get her second shot at the Pokemon Performer. Sigh...you haven't given up for a title huh?

Nice to know that Team Rocket (Jessie to be exact and I guess James and Meowth as cheerleaders) will have a side quest than catching Pika, just like DP and contests. :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom