• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S18 EP03: An Undersea Place to Call Home!

Nice to see this episode. Also, it feels like the speech from the narrator at the beginning was changed to make it seem like this was a flashback episode. "Before Ash took on Grant at the gym...". Nice touch if so.

Clemont clearly has his own goals in mind here. Wants Ash to catch another water type to help against Grant (oh by the way you're battling me later and I use electric type Pokemon hehehe). No appearance from Misty's special lure either? Shame.

I can see why this episode was originally banned. We don't even get word if anyone on the "Cussler" survived. Looked like it sank within seconds.

The "No Hard Feelings Lottery Device" looks like it could be one of those games of chance from Mario Party. Pick a path and let the game take over.

All in all, nice to see Skrelp and Dragalge in the anime finally.

This episode reminds of the one they did back in advance generation.

Can't recall the name of it but it had the same theme in a way. Overall a good episode.

Sorry but this was a really cheap episode! Not only was the plot too trivial and unexciting, it also had two major logical mistakes:

First, why shouldn't Team Rocket be allowed to keep the safe? After all, when it comes to treasure hunting it's finders keepers, isn't it? If Ash and co. had found the treasure first, they would most likely have kept it as well. There was too much of generic black and white thinking in that scene, so I think Serena's anger was not really understandable.

Second, it defied all laws of physics that a ship lying at the bottom of the ocean has several rooms with no water in them. Sorry, that is pure nonsense! If you can't write a proper plot without it, then you better forget about it in the first place and think of something different. I was so angry about this mistake that it ruined the entire episode for me.

Nothing really special. Let's move on to the next episode!

Last edited:
The "No Hard Feelings Lottery Device" looks like it could be one of those games of chance from Mario Party. Pick a path and let the game take over.

Am I the only person here who just had a mental image of a Mario Party game, but with the cast of the anime as characters? XD

Sorry but this was a really cheap episode! Not only was the plot too trivial and unexciting, it also had two major logical mistakes:

First, why shouldn't Team Rocket be allowed to keep the safe? After all, when it comes to treasure hunting it's finders keepers, isn't it? If Ash and co. had found the treasure first, they would most likely have kept it as well. There was too much of generic black and white thinking in that scene, so I think Serena's anger was not really understandable.

Second, it defied all laws of physics that a ship lying at the bottom of the ocean has several rooms with no water in them. Sorry, that is pure nonsense! If you can't write a proper plot without it, then you better forget about it in the first place and think of something different. I was so angry about this mistake that it ruined the entire episode for me.

Nothing really special. Let's move on to the next episode!

There was Pokémon Shipwreck, an episode where the majority of the plot is about Ash and friends teaming up with Team Rocket to escape the sunken St. Anne, which lies at the bottom of the sea. It's one of the more memorable episode since it's the first time that Team Rocket join forces with Ash and friends, as well as being the second part of a trilogy arc, and the demonstration of James's Magikarp seems to be so useless at everything. And it features the same logic as this XY episode. Quite frankly, I still can't find a good alternative plot for Pokémon Shipwreck that doesn't involve the ship having air pockets at the bottom of the sea and the story scenario is too good to pass up.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom