• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY062: Protect the Future of Science! The Electric Labyrinth!!

Episodes like this show that the whole idea that "every episode is just Team Rocket going after Pikachu" is absolutely false.

Also, did we know that Citron was going to be leaving the group for a while?

None of the summaries mentioned Clemont leaving the group because:

1) The summaries for future episodes didn't mention him in particular, but he wasn't going to star anyway.

2) The cast lists for XY064 & XY065 aren't yet uploaded to TV TOKYO, and the one for XY063 did include Clemont so he will at least be in that episode in some capacity.

Glad that Clemont is going back to train away from Ash, they needed to find a way to give the two space to train and prepare without giving strategy away. In an ideal world Ash would spend the time working on new moves for his Pokemon so he wasn't entirely predictable for Clemont. I doubt he'll even train on screen for more than a minute.

Slightly disappointed that Bonnie stayed, doesn't she need to work on the quiz questions? Also disappointed that Clemont will return after the Gym battle - it would be far less contrived than the departure when Ash leaves Kalos.

Dull premise for the episode - electric Pokemon being controlled being solved by the power of friendship overcoming electricity. Ash being able to walk through Pikachu's thundershock is predictable as Volt being played when Luxio evolved. If Team Rocket were ever successful there might have been the slightest bit of tension here - but no, having all that electricity being turned back on them was the inevitable outcome from the beginning.

• Staff
I don't think Luxray has ever looked more beautiful and badass in the anime before today.

Also, I fully support Serena's full on hesitancy to enter a giant fan that could easily break free of Frogadiers frubbles and inadvertently slice her and her friends to shreds. That was ridiculouss.

The plot was generic and seeing the main characters take electric shocks like its nothing is starting to get old. What happened to the good old days where getting electrocuted actually meant something? Where Ash would be covered in singe marks left and right? And I know this would never ever happen, but Team Rocket should have died following that huge electric blast.

Anyway, I'm interested to see the following episodes with just Ash & the Girls. Should be an interesting dynamic. I also love how Clemont entrusted Bonnie's care to Serena.

Hooray for Clemont being the hero & his bond with his Pokemon overcoming Team Rocket's control.
Another simple "on the road" episode, just there to set up Clemont leaving & Luxray's evolution.

P.S. Ash has been electrocuted for almost 20 years, he must be pretty much immune by now :-D

Episodes like this show that the whole idea that "every episode is just Team Rocket going after Pikachu" is absolutely false.

Also, did we know that Citron was going to be leaving the group for a while?

Which is interesting because Clemont leaving was actually speculated by people, and even I can't say for sure where the speculation came from, except that it makes sense, but to actually have it happen, is just a wow, A+ for the writers.

I'm gonna be completely blunt here, after seeing this episode, I'm beginning to fear the worst for Team Flare: What if their future encounters from the games (i.e. Pokeball Factory) are going to just serve as foundations for TR schemes? While I guess it could be considered good considering many of the evil team arcs suffered from anticlimax, or in Team Galactic's case character inconsistency, and they're trying to avoid that, they've already established the team's leader in the anime, as well as dropping hints that he's out to achieve his own ends, and if they're putting off the team itself until post-league, then they may be doomed to the same fate as Team Plasma. I'm desperately hoping that doesn't come to pass, but I digress, I never would have thought that Clemont would leave the group so abruptly, props to whoever was patching together the previews for not giving that away.

I've only seen screenshots, but it looks like a pretty interesting episode.

I agree with what Hilbert said, that fan could've easily tore the Frubbles off and started spinning again, turning the gang into chopped salad. Guess those Frubbles are better than any glue in existence if it could stop such a fast-moving (and very hazardous) fan in its tracks.

And who said TRio is only after Pikachu. They weren't even going for him today, just the local Electric types. They didn't even realize they had netted him until they saw him, Dedenne, and Luxio on the screen. And I will admit using an electric power plant to attract local Electric types was a pretty smart idea, as they would all respond to it no problem due to their natural makeups.

Moving on, wow, I forgot how huge Luxray is. I know Clemont is only a kid/teen, but damn, I forgot just how big a Luxray can get. But such an awesome Pokemon regardless makes me glad that it's on the main team. Too bad it took two more generations after it was introduced to add it to the main cast, but, hey, as long as I get to see my electric lynx/lion on-screen more often, I'll accept that.

Wow, I must admit, I wasn't expecting Clemont to leave the group to train, but it does make sense. I mean, if he and Ash were to train near each other, it would obviously reveal their tactics and ideas, so it only makes sense. Surprised Bonnie didn't go with him, now left in the care of Serena (sorry, AmourShippers, myself included, no AshxSerena traveling alone on this one), but it will be interesting to see how Ash and the girls work together. Plus, I guess Serena will now do the cooking, being the only other person with cooking abilities, unless they always conveniently make it to a Pokemon Center for each meal (or Brock suddenly shows up *shot*).

Overall, I'll have to see the dubbed version to really give a better analysis on the episode. But that means I'm looking forward to seeing Luxray as a main cast member until the Kalos League.

Well, well, well!

Later, Clem!

This should shake up the group dynamic for a few episodes!

It may be temporary, but I'm still oh-so happy! :-D I've been dreaming about something like this happening for years!

LUXRAY YOU PRECIOUS BAE!!! We finally have a Luxray on the main cast! I've only really seen the pics on serebii, though I'll need the dub episode to really understand what was going on. It was so great to see Luxio evolve and I forget how huge Luxray are. Also, according to Bulbapedia, he learned Electric Terrain. Seems like this will be a key move for Clemont's strategy in the Lumiose City gym match. I'm kinda sad though that Clemont is taking a temporary leave, though it is good for two reasons. It could shake up the group dynamic and this allows Ash and Clemont to train apart from each other and that will allow for less predictability from each other. Seemed like a pretty solid episode!

Clemont leaving at the end was a surprising twist! Wonder if they'll display Ash's cooking skills next week lolololol

But before that happens we get a TRio focused episode(and it looks good so far!)

The evolution and Electric Terrain looked really nice as well.

Clemont leaving at the end was a surprising twist! Wonder if they'll display Ash's cooking skills next week lolololol

Probably not, as Serena is the cook of the group.

Man, Citron leaving was a total surprise but makes perfect sense... of course he and Satoshi should train separately, especially since he'll be intended to use his Gym Pokemon in the battle.

What I don't get is why he left Eureka behind? No matter how much he trust Satoshi and Serena, surely you don't just leave your younger sibling in the care of friends. Also, I imagine Eureka would like to spend time at home with her father for a while.

CynthiaLover said:
And who said TRio is only after Pikachu. They weren't even going for him today, just the local Electric types. They didn't even realize they had netted him until they saw him, Dedenne, and Luxio on the screen.

Exactly. People love to go on and on about how the Rocket trio only goes after Pikachu but episodes like this show that that's absolutely not true. People really need to update their talking points.

In fact, Musashi and the others were actually *disappointed* when they learned that they had captured Pikachu because that meant that the twerps were nearby. They were actually trying to avoid Satoshi and his friends.

Of course, their fatal flaw was underestimating just how interesting a power plant is to a group of ten-year-olds (?).

WatcherMark said:
What I don't get is why he left Eureka behind?

To cockblock Satoshi and Serena.

I thought this was an ok episode. Can't say too much yet since it was pretty dialogue heavy, but I'll just say what I can.

I like how they had Clemont flashing back at the beginning of the episode about Ash's brave feats and battle skills. Not sure what he was saying, but damn his expression was epic. He looked like he was in a trance. I wasn't too happy about a mind control plot right after they had a similar element in the last episode. Then of course we have Ash's cliche'd "break Pikachu free with friendship" thing. At least Clemont had some time to shine when he did the same thing with Luxio since its not as expected with him. I loved when he took the opportunity to disrupt the hypnotic effects with his Aipom Arm. Loved how Luxio evolved with Clemont on his back. Funniest evolution ever:)

The only real issue I had with this episode was kind of similar to my problem with Froakie's evolution episode. There really wasn't very much focus on Luxio himself until right before he evolved. And what makes it even worse here is that Luxio has barley done anything of importance since his capture. Then there was Luxio being out of its Pokeball randomly, which was obviously done so he'd get effected by the mind control, but still. I just kinda bothered me with how random it was.

The ending totally caught me off guard though. I never would have expected Clemont to leave the group to go train for the gym battle. I was surprised that he didn't take Bonnie along with him. Not that I would have wanted Bonnie to leave, but I would have expected him to want to keep her with him to ensure her safety with how much he worries about her. Though I loved Bonnie's expression during this scene and how Clemont asked Serena to watch her, I would have liked Bonnie and Clemont's "farewell" to be a bit more...endearing. I mean, with all the time they've been together, I would have thought that Bonnie would have been at least a bit more sad in a serious manner rather than the humorous way it was presented.

Overall, pretty good episode. I'll give it a 7/10.

*sighs* If only TR would be like this in every episode and not always go after Pikachu but other more grander schemes maybe I can enjoy them more in XY. Alas they will be going back to their old ways in XY065 again by the looks of it so I guess I need to cherish every moment where TR are actually evil.

I loved this episode, it was epic, I loved the part where Clemont's Luxio evolved with Clemont on his back. I was a bit disappointed that Serena scanned him with her Pokédex instead of Ash. So I'll give it a 8/10.

Why Fokko and Harimaron are not in this episode. I was expecting to see Fokko and Harimaron in this episode but it turns out not.

Last edited:
I just hope during the Clemont Vs Ash, the writers finally reveal Luxray's Ability, I hope it is Intimidate or Rivalry, since these abilities were never showed in the anime. If Intimidate is not activated when Clemont sent him out of his Pokéball and the attack is stronger against Pikachu enough to knock him out due they're both of the same gender so it is Rivalry, if not activated I'm afraid it might be Guts, which I'm gonna dislike since we saw this ability being activated by Paul's Ursaring, but it would be the first anime Pokémon to have a Hidden Ability. I hope it is Intimidate/Rivalry.

I loved this episode, it was epic, I loved the part where Clemont's Luxio evolved with Clemont on his back. I was a bit disappointed that Serena scanned him with her Pokédex instead of Ash. So I'll give it a 8/10.

Maybe because Ash has already seen several Luxray prior?

And he also saw several Luxio prior, but nonethenless he still scanned Clemont's Luxio with his Pokédex.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom