• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S18 EP15: A Fork in the Road! A Parting of the Ways!

re: S18 EP15 "A Fork In The Road! A Parting Of The Ways!"

Nice episode. Jessie and James are far better characters when they are let outside the normal Team Rocket plot and this episode proved that again.

It is a bit annoying that Pancham goes missing the first episode where it can freely eat without interference from Chespin. About the only thing missing in this episode was any change in dynamic for Clemont being missing - Bonnie got over it quickly, and the lack of ability of healing Dedenne without Clemont just goes to show that Ash needs to learn that stuff for himself to be a decent trainer - he should have some potions and berries on hand, not needing to rely on Clemont.

I'd also want to have heard Serena's expertise on telling someone how you're feeling. Perhaps they could cover it just before the episode where Ash gives his tips on winning the Pokemon League.

I hate how they pronounce Bidoof.

I think I have said this before, but I always love episodes where Team Rocket works with Ash and his friends to fight a common enemy.

I think in TPCI's near-10 years of dubbing Pokemon this has probably been my favorite performance from Michele Knotz. It wasn't as good as Megumi Hayashibara's performance or what Rachael Lillis' might have been, but it was still really good. I also like that the dub left in the stuff about Team Rocket being friends. TPCi has kind of made them out to seem like they hate being with each other in some episodes (especially in the Diamond and Pearl series) so it's nice to see it this way.

While I'm still not a fan of the dub music (the wall-to-wall music in this episode in particular made the scene changes less effective than in the original, like the switch from Skiddo eating the berry to Bonnie eating the sandwich) I will say that the piano piece that played a few times throughout the episode was really nice, it almost sounded orchestrated. While I would have preferred the original score, especially the Pokemon Center birthday theme that played when Jessie was rescued in the original or the big piece when Wobbuffet came back to save the day, that piece really stood out. And if I'm not mistaken, they had a few bars from Team Rocket's motto theme play when Jessie was telling the others she left Wobbuffet to find a life of love. It was a nice touch.

I liked this episode. Great performance from all three TRio VAs.

Contrary to what a lot of people here think, I actually don't care if Team Rocket appears, necessary or not. But of course they were necessary for this episode so that's a bit of a moot point. I also don't mind the dub music either.

I'm glad they kept Dr. White's name; it was fitting for him. Don't know why they did Berry->Beatrice, but I'm guessing because the former is a homophone of Barry. Or maybe they just thought Berry wasn't a good name.

Also, has anyone come up with a ship name for Jessie's Wobbuffet and Dr. White's Wobbuffet? They were so cute together!

Some funny tidbits I liked:

Dr. White: Say "ahh".
Bidoof: Doooooooooo.

Meowth: But I thought you were gonna give up evildoin' for love!
Jessie: To denounce the evils of truth and love!
(I would be even more impressed with TPCi with this if this specific line of the motto wasn't in the Japanese motto as well)

Last edited:

An enjoyable episode, the one disappointment for me was the fact Wobuffet didn't stay with Dr. White, tbh I'm not that keen on the character, Team Rocket were better than their usual selves, in particular Jessie

A fantastic episode! (Recently, episodes have been really great, haven't they?).

As another user already said, the individual members of Team Rocket are much better whenever they get an episode for themselves and today was no different. Listing all the great moments would simply be too much, so I'll concentrate on the most important scenes:
Talking about love and emotions so openly is something you'd not expected from Pokemon, so I was all the more surprised this topic was addressed today. It was clear that Jessie was in love head over heels but instead of making this a kitschy pseudo-romantic episode, they did a great job of creating a lot of mature scenes. For example, when Jessie found out that Dr. White likes Beatrice more, you'd normally expect her to go ape , but no, the writers chose a very clam reaction that showed how mature she actually would be if she weren't a member of Team Rocket. And the same goes for James' reaction after finding out about Jessie's real intentions.

Also, I found it kind of cute that the twerps could leave aside all the former fights and arguments they used to have with TRrio and willingly offered to help Jessie with the preparations for her wedding (or whatever else she was planning).

Well, given how great the episode was, it's actually not suitable to criticize anything, nevertheless I wished that Ash had shown himself capable of defeating that hunter all by himself. Defeating a Rhyperior sure would have been great training. But let's not be too nitpicky today.

So, what conclusion can we draw from this episode? Jessie, James and Meowth are great as individual characters and episodes like today's one are a valuable addition to the show, but I see a dilemma here: Can you actually imagine Pokemon without TRio? No matter how good episodes are that are dedicated to one of them, we simply need them as a team, even at the risk of these episodes lacking of maturity.

And now let's hope that the next episodes will continue to be as good as the last ones!

I have to admit--whenever I see episodes like this that highlight Jessie's/James'/Meowth's squishy side, I start to wonder why they're in Team Rocket at all. They're obviously capable of doing good deeds, so why do they choose to stick with an evil organization?

As a side note, that Rhyperior sure screwed the rules a lot, didn't it? (Though not always in its favor, judging by that Horn Drill.)

There were a few things I liked in this episode. Seeing Clemont training with Bunnelby was nice and I'll even admit that Wobbufett blocking that Rock Wrecker was pretty bad-ass. But overall a pretty boring episode for me. I really couldn't have cared less about Jessie and her little love story. In fact, if anything, this episode made me hate her even more. Overall, not an episode I'd re-watch.

3/10.

The English Dub wasn't as good as the original, in terms of music. When Wobbuffet blocked Rock Wrecker in the Japanese version the music was reallt loud and action-packed; Wobbuffet actually seemed like a hero. In the dub, it was just the standard type of music, which didn't really fit the scene. Other than that, the episode was good, but it's not the way I would've written a Team Rocket-centred episode.

7/10

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom