• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

2023 is coming to a close. how was the year for you?

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. She/Her
only one more month (and some days) left of this year! how was it for you guys?

for me, i'd say it was... ok? 5/10 because most of the year was bad, with only the latter half being better due to getting a better job and financial stability because of it.

hoping next year is a way better year for sure. @_@

One of my best ones, actually! (Well my closest friend moves to another city so that’s not good) but I did find myself expanding the amount of people I know and I think I’m friends with most of my grade, and about half of some of the others! Also Pokémon

Edit: gonna rate it a solid 7/10

Last edited:
7/10
another year with its fair share of problems, but... some things are finally looking up! and i guess.. well, this is the year i came to bulbagarden, so that's a happy memory for me too!!
hm i think it was a better year than last year... DEFINITELY waaaay better than the two before then... yeah, maybe things will keep getting better hopefully!
though i don't want to jinx it :bulbaLol:

Solid 8/10
I genuinely never felt as good as I did this year the beginning of the year (Jan-Mar 30th) was awful my mental health was down the drain as i had my identity I couldn’t express it how i wanted than march 31st i got my girlfriend and My life genuinely just got way way way better and my i’ve been great as i feel like I’ve been able to harness the power of the internet to express myself and my identity and overall improved my mental health

Last edited:
Definitely the best year of the decade so far on a personal level, though that's a low bar. Was a rough start with my self-esteem taking some serious hits in January, but it got me to stop being stubborn. Finally got a job that allows me to help out with the family expenses and feel like I'm worth something. As much as I resisted it for so long because I didn't wanna get employed through my dad, I've also come to really like it. It's work from home and mostly emails and files, so not directly interacting with people outside my team and emails, which works perfectly for me.

On the downside, my health problems are still persisting, though I'm not doing myself any favors by forgetting to take my preventative meds all the time. I also haven't really made any new friends online or offline and have had trouble keeping up with the few friends I have left because we're all busy. Sometimes it has gotten a little lonely because of that. Being 26 and spending all my time indoors with no nearby friends much less a significant other does kinda get to me at times, but eh, I've got the dog and my video games so yay.

Overall I know I'm lucky as heck, so on a personal level I'd give this year a good 8/10. Big relief considering how worried I was about the future at the end of 2022.

hmmm… i’d give it a 6.5/10. definitely had some fun and exciting things happen this year, but overall i’ve been more stressed and anxious than ever between school, family, issues figuring out my gender and sexuality, etc.

but, i’m still gonna hope 2024 is better. i believe it can be! :3

nope, I learned my lesson last time. I'm not judging this year before December is over :swirlix:

Kidding, sorta. It's been alright, at least so far. I think I kind of fulfilled my one resolution, to try new things this year — some of them failed and didn't work out (I started and then quickly scrapped a very ambitious passion project, and I had to quit on the first day of my summer job lol), but some of them have been going well so far (I'm halfway done with getting my GED, just two more tests left to pass). I've made a lot of art too; the last few months have been pretty productive in that regard, which is always a positive.

On the flip side though, this was also one of the... lonelier years I've had in recent memory? All my close friends are now a lot busier than I am these days and I've started spending more and more time by myself, so... compared to past years, I don't really have any fun memories to look back on from 2023 at all. It's been a little sad and a bit isolating at times, but that's adulthood, I guess. Nothin' one can do about it.

I'll give this one a solid 5/10, just a real middle-of-the-road year. Overall it was an improvement over 2022, but still not as great as 2021. It's funny how you can feel so ambivalent about a certain period of time while you're in it, but only realize how good it actually was when you look back on it later...
May the next one be even better.

• Staff
I think I kind of fulfilled my one resolution

i don't even remember any resolutions i've made! honestly props to you for sticking to it until the end tbh.

like, i would make new years resolutions and then kinda just forget them halfway through the year cause 9 times out of 10 Shit Happens and i end up just. not fulfilling them for one reason or another. u_u

surreal for sure!

I don't think the person I was last year would recognize me today, but that's a good thing. Landing my current job has been a never ending road of opportunity; learning, changing, growing as a person and enthusiastically going after things I never would have imagined I'd enjoy. I mean, who knew I'd love public speaking? I definitely didn't! I've met people from all over, and the world just keeps getting broader as the days go by. Some part of me wants to think time in Yellowstone could be in the cards, but that might be ambitious!

But I'm also overdoing it, and I think I want to make my resolution early; next year, I want to focus on things outside of work, too. Hobbies, people, and just time to relax instead of constantly burning the candle at both ends. I'd also like to visit a certain friend of mine hopefully around this spring or summer — hi, orchid!

all in all, i'd give the year a 9/10! It was one of my best, but I think there's a chance it can still change for the better next year!
and so can everyone else's, rooting for some good luck to find everybody!

i don't even remember any resolutions i've made! honestly props to you for sticking to it until the end tbh.

like, i would make new years resolutions and then kinda just forget them halfway through the year cause 9 times out of 10 Shit Happens and i end up just. not fulfilling them for one reason or another. u_u
oh no yeah same. I honestly gave up entirely on coming up with New Year's resolutions a while back, because I'd always just sort of abandon/forget about them for one reason or another and end up disappointed. They're so hard to stick to! And it feels way better to go into a new year without having to worry about any of that.

So honestly it wasn't so much on purpose per se, it was more like an urge that I felt after hitting an important birthday milestone this year... just couldn't keep sittin' around any longer.

I'd also like to visit a certain friend of mine hopefully around this spring or summer — hi, orchid!
new phone who dis

i think my year has been pretty good overall! i had some really serious lows this year, especially in the earlier parts of the year, but being able to move away from home and start university has done huge wonders for me. japanese has always been a huge passion for me but i've never had the ability to actually take classes in it--i had to do self-study for around 4 years--but now not only have i been able to take classes in it and continue learning properly, i've been able to start planning for things like study abroad for a year to japan next year, and in general i can now focus my studies on it (mostly--disregarding gen ed stuff), so it makes me really really happy to be able to finally pursue it properly. (had to go off on that tangent, sorry...) it's not like life is perfect or anything, not at all, but in general, i think i'm probably more generally content these days than i have ever been in my life, so i'd rate the year a solid 8/10!

wrt new years resolutions, i've done them for 2022 and 2023, and i think for me to avoid the stress or disappointment of them was to just set really simple, vague goals, and also (a little silly but) writing notes where i wrote them down strictly telling myself it was okay to not reach them. i've only had a few, which were things like improving japanese, reading a certain amount of books, and creating things (like stories or little doodles or what have you). the simplicity of them makes them somewhat easy to accomplish while also giving less stress because it's probably something that'll just happen naturally, but you can say you worked a little harder on than you otherwise might have, if that makes sense, and you can still feel proud of reaching a goal you've set. i also read a tumblr post once talking about resolutions, saying that you can also have very silly little things that also produce very little stress, like trying lots of different types of pasta shapes.

I'd say pretty good! Of course this year had its ups and downs, but at the end of the day, we have to keep pushing and look ahead to brighter days, no matter what you're going through. I'd say I've possibly grown as a person, and my personality has shaped itself a little more as I attempt to try and mature somewhat.

Overall 8/10 for me ^^

Solid B tier. Not terrible, but not the best either.
2022 was full of huge changes and trying to adjust to my new normal, with a lot of high highs and low lows, but 2023 was more just...stagnation. Nothing has changed. Ever since starting college last year I feel like I haven't made any real progress, like I'm just going through the motions every day without getting anywhere. I haven't accomplished anything significant. I haven't managed to make any new friends, and I've started to lose contact with the few I still have. Various external pressures outside of my control also took a hit to my mental health, and there's not really anything I can do about it. Overall I got very little character development this year and I'm not happy about it. 2022 was one step forward, 2023 was two steps back.

It wasn't all awful though, there's definitely been a few positive things - I discovered a lot of new music and interests, and I've gotten more confident in my art lately. My self-image has improved too, it's the first time in years that I've been able to look in a mirror and actually feel comfortable with what I see. And obviously I can't overlook the fact that I finally joined here this year and got to meet all you cool people c: So I guess I have changed, just not in a "major life progress" way. I still think this year could have gone better, though.

Actually surprisingly a 9/10. I loved this year.

The year was bad at the start for me, but eventually it got better and better! In September I found Utaite and Vocaloid and thats the only thing making the score so high. I’m now happier and I have more true friends than ever! And it was a fun year to experience the Pokémon games that I’ve never tried before, this year might be the best for me so far!!

Overall not bad. No major life events this year (a bunch of those happened last year) but this year was alright. Not great, but not bad either. Mostly just stayed at home or in the area & hung out with friends that I've already had - not necessarily trying to make new ones or anything like that. Bulba stuff was pretty much a continuation of the stuff that I had been previously doing. I also streamed a lot more this year and plan to increase that further next year. Went to a few concerts, sporting events, had a couple short vacations but nothing huge, stayed with the same job, etc etc etc.

It was an okay year for me. I started saving to teach English in South Korea in around 2025, and I am around one-tenth of the way there. I did some work this year, most notably at the referendum that was held here in Australia this year as well as a job playing as a patient at a hospital here in Melbourne. For me, I will be taking studying Korean more seriously in 2024, and using a different strategy (more fun hopefully and getting more imerse in cultural products from South Korea), as well as working on my socials, as well as earn more money from extra work (and probably find a more permanent part-time job).

Back
Top Bottom