• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY088: Memories of the Train! Citron and Horubee!!

Playerking

Not-well known member.
Reaction score
XY088 - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia

Discuss the episode here.

Here is my summary of the episode.

The episode starts with Ash and co. falling into a pitfall.

Team Rocket show up outside the pitfall.

Team Rocket say their motto to Ash and co.

Ash commands his Pikachu to use Thunderbolt on Team Rocket.

As the Thunderbolt heads towards Team Rocket, James throws a small box shaped device.

The device shoots out a laser type net which covers the whole area of the pitfall.

Pikachu's Thunderbolt hits the net, cancelling the Thunderbolt.

Clemont then sends out his Bunnelby to attack Team Rocket.

Eventually, Team Rocket blast after Ash and co.battle them.

The ground underneath them then breaks and they begin to fall deeper underground.

Ash and co. then land in some tunnel deep underground.

There are some wooden boards along the walls of the tunnel and wooden tracks along the ground.

Ash and co. walk through the tunnel to see if there is a way out to the outside.

Bonnie then mentions something which Clemont is kind of embarrassed about.

Ash wants to know what Bonnie was talking about.

Bonnie explains by telling the story of a similar situation that they were once in.

The story is how Clemont first met his Bunnelby.

The flashback of when Clemont first met Bunnelby starts soon after he and Bonnie were kicked out of the Lumiose Gym by Clembot.

Clemont is sitting on a bench, looking at a map.

Bonnie comes to Clemont and then offers him an apple.

As Clemont is about to take the apple that Bonnie is giving him, a Pokemon snatches it from her hand.

The Pokemon was a Bunnelby.

The Bunnelby runs away with the apple between its two ears.

Clemont and Bonnie chase after the Bunnelby as it runs away with the apple.

Bunnelby jumps down a hole, so Clemont and Bonnie follow the Bunnelby by also jumping down the hole.

Bunnelby lands in an underground railway tunnel, on the railway platform.

There are other Pokemon in the railway tunnel.

Bunnelby then gives the apple is stole from Bonnie to the Pokemon.

Clemont and Bonnie also land in the underground railway tunnel.

They then watch Bunnelby and the other Pokemon.

A Diggersby then shows up in front of Bunnelby and the other Pokemon.

The Diggersby angry and wants to fight the other Pokemon in the railway tunnel.

Bunnelby stands in front of the other Pokemon, to protect them from the Diggersby.

Bunnelby and Diggersby then have a fight against each other.

Bunnelby doesn't do so well during the fight.

Clemont sees that Bunnelby isn't doing so well, so he picks it up with his Aipom Arm.

Clemont then runs away, along with Bonnie, Bunnelby and the other Pokemon in the railway tunnel, from the Diggersby.

They all regroup in a different place inside the railway tunnel.

Clemont has bandaged up Bunnelby on the places of its body that are injured from its battle against Diggersby.

Clemont puts on a Bunnelby mask and a fake frill around his neck, similar to the frill that Bunelby has around its neck.

Bonnie puts on a Diggersby mask.

Clemont and Bonnie do this in order to stage a fake fight, to show Bunnelby how it should defeat the Diggersby.

Bunnelby and the other Pokemon watch Clemont and Bonnie performing a staged Pokemon battle.

Bunnelby now understand how it can defeat the Diggersby.

Pokemon Quiz: Diggersby.

Clemont, Bonnie, Bunnelby and the other Pokemon are now back to where they were before, on the railway platform where Diggersby also is.

Bunnelby and Diggersby each take their stances, as they are about to have a rematch battle.

Bunnelby and Diggersby start there rematch battle.

Diggersby attacks Bunnelby with Hammer Arm.

Bunnelby uses Double Team.

Diggersby uses Super Fang on the Bunnelby clones to try and attack the real Bunnelby.

Diggersby then uses Mud Shot.

Diggersby charges towards Bunnelby to attack it.

Bunnelby lifts up a tile on the railway platform and uses it to protect itself from Diggersby's attack.

Diggerbsy's face smashes into the tile and that makes him fall backwards.

Diggersby manages to get its footing before it falls over.

Diggerby goes to attack Bunnelby with its two legs, but Bunnelby grabs Diggersby and throws Diggersby agains one of the walls of the railway tunnel.

Diggersby is sitting against the same runway tunnel wall, after being thrown against it.

Bunnelby goes over to Diggersby.

Bunnelby offers one if its hands out to Diggersby, to show a truce between eachother.

Diggersby then stands up and accepts the truce between it and Bunnelby.

Clemont then notices the train that is stationary on the railway line on the other side of the railway tunnel.

Clemont finds out that the train is broken.

Clemont and co. (including Bonnie, Bunnelby and the other Pokemon in the tunnel, (except for Diggersby)) decide to fix the train so that it works again.

Clemont reveals an invention of his to help fix the train.

Eventually, Clemont and co. have fixed the train.

Clemont notices that a big boulder is on the railway line in front of the train and it is blocking the trains path.

Then Diggersby picks up the boulder and moves it, so that Clemont can drive the train along the railway track.

Clemont thanks the Diggersby.

Diggersby now joins the other Pokemon that are with Clemont, Bonnie and Bunnelby.

Clemont then starts the trains engine and drives it, as Bonnie, Bunnelby and the other Pokemon (including Diggersby) ride on the train with him.

Clemont has now driven the train outside of the tunnel.

Some time has elapsed and now Clemont and Bonnie are outside of the tunnel, near the entrance, as the sun is setting.

Clemont and Bonnie are facing towards Bunnelby and the other Pokemon.

Clemont and Bonnie say goodbye to them.

Clemont and Bonnie walk away from Bunnelby and the other Pokemon.

Bunnelby is sad after Clemont and Bonnie walk away.

Bunnelby talks with the other Pokemon and they suggest that it should go with Clemont if it wants to.

After Bunnelby has listened to what the other Pokemon have told it, Bunnelby runs after Clemont.

Clemont and Bonnie stop walking as they notices that the same Bunnelby that they befriended has followed them.

Bunnelby stops when it gets near Clemont and Bonnie.

Clemont then realises that Bunnelby wants to be with him.

Clemont picks up Bunnelby and hugs it as he cries happily.

Bunnelby pulls an annoyed face because Clemont has become so emotional.

The flashback ends and we see Ash and co. in the present.

As Ash and co. are still walking through the tunnel, they suddenly stop.

Clemont orders Bunnelby to use Dig on one of the tunnel's walls.

Bunnelby uses Dig on one of the walls, which lets Ash and co. escape out of the tunnel through the hole that Bunnelby has created.

Ash and co. walk away from the tunnel and then Bonnie brings up something that Clemont gets embarrassed about again.

This leads Bonnie to tell Ash and Serena about when Clemont caught Bunnelby.

The flashback from before continues and Clemont puts Bunnelby back on the ground.

Clemont throws a Poke Ball at Bunnelby and he has now captured Bunnelby.

Clemont sends Bunnelby out from its Poke Ball.

To be continued.

I'll just put this here to fill in some gaps and correct a few things, because I've actually seen the episode, I haven't just looked at the screenshots on filb.

Team Rocket's net is Electric attack-proof but not Ground attack-proof, so Bunnelby destroys it, then Pikachu blasts off Team Rocket.

I'd say Clemont was looking at the blueprints for Clembot rather than a map.

Bunnelby and the other Pokemon are angry because the Diggersby stole their food.

When Bunnelby offers its hand to Diggersby to suggest a truce between them, Diggersby slaps Bunnelby's hand away and storms off.

Clemont, Bonnie and the Pokemon need to escape because of a ground tremor/the Pokemon battle has weakened the tunnel's structure.

Diggersby reappears and picks up the boulder because it's had a change of heart.

During their journey out of the tunnels, Clemont notices they're on the wrong track. Bunnelby comes into the train to help by hitting the switch track lever using Mud Shot.

Clemont drives the train to an abandoned train yard in the countryside, which is a much nicer place for the Pokemon to live.

Bunnelby was always happy to be with Clemont and never annoyed about how he reacted.

Clemont was embarrassed because Bonnie told everyone that he cried when he captured Bunnelby.

For a flashback episode, I thought this was a good one.

Ok, this has to be one of TR's most pathetic appearances yet:/ Love how they prepared themselves with just one of those nets... Anyway, moving on to the plot, I like how Bonnie brought Clemont an apple when he was hungry. Omg, did Clemont and Bonnie really jump down that hole surrounded with construction stuff, not even knowing how deep it was. When they were looking for Bunnelby and Clemont was reaching into his bag, I honestly thought he was going to pull out some Bunnelby detecting machine. Wow, lol at Bonnie having to pull Clemont up from off the rail tracks. Damn, Bunelby can cut apples with his ears. That's pretty cool. Aw, I loved when Clemont had Bonnie on his shoulders to see inside the train.

Ok, I don't even get what was up with Digugly. That damn dick rabbit just came out of nowhere to steal Bunnelby and buddies' apples for no reason. I'm glad Bunnelby was so insistent on standing up and fighting for his friends (since it's not like they did anything:/).

Geez, that ear injury looked brutal. Well, Clemont and Bonnie's method of teaching Bunnelby to beat his foe sure was...interesting. And rather funny at that. Woah, they jumped into that rematch pretty fast. I though they'd go having to find Digugly and all that, but whatever. Seeing Bunnelby thrash his hideous evolution was awesome though. I can't believe Bunnelby was actually worried about Digugly and tried to befriend him.

Lol and Clemont's demonstration of his invention. I like how Bunnelby was helping Bonnie when she was getting tired. I like how Bunnelby seemed so conflicted on whether or not he wanted to go with Clemont at first and that his Pokepals encouraged him to go. And lol at Clemont not wanting to mention that he cried when he caught Bunnelby.

Overall this was a pretty good episode. 7/10.

The mineshaft thing that they walked down while they told the story looked like that stuff outside Terminus Cave in the games. Which is meant to be after Anistar if I'm not mistaken. Just something minor, kind of like the Lost Hotel and Poke Ball Factory being in between Laverre and Dendemille.

Not an overly spectacular episode but it was nice seeing the story behind Bunnelby, also seeing him on Clemont's head while they were walking was kinda cute. The ending was good too, Clemont having a cry about Bunnelby wanting to come with him and him getting a little mad about Bonnie telling Ash and Serena about it. KiraKira works better in scenes like that IMO.

Don't have a lot to say about it really, was reasonable.

This episode, while not outstanding, is very good.

I love that we finally got some backstory of Bunnelby. Not just that, Bunnelby is such a quick learner, not just he learnt Clemont's tactic very fast, he also learned to combine two of them together, which is actually nice. And Clemont remarked that move with 'Nice Combination' which put a big smile on my face.

But I do wonder why they are amused with Clemont being a Gym Leader.... Pokemon knows these things?... Its weird.

Gotta say I love the whole train section. All of them running to make the train work, and Clemont driving the train. That scene was lovely.

All of them breathing for fresh air after staying underground for so long is a very cute scene. And who am I to not mention Clemont's crying scene? That scene is awesome.

Overall, getting backstory of a Pokemon is a big thing that I appreciate much (the sad case of Snivy T-T), and its a reasonable and fun episode. 8.5/10. Maybe +1 for that crying scene, its just adorable.

Edit: Btw, I thought Serena was going to trip and fall the hard way. She was walking backwards for half of the episodes.

Last edited:
Horubbi is my favourite Pokémon of Citron which he is travelling with, I love its personality and it's cute as well.

I love the back story on how Citron met Horubbi, I think it's the first time a whole episode about this was made.

And KiraKira really is suited more for scenes like that (but it could fit an action one if the song's lyrics matched).

Last edited:
This is just my initial impression of this episode - I don't understand Japanese, so there are probably a few key bits of dialogue that completely flew over my head, and I haven't seen it with subs yet, but I still got the general idea by watching most of it save a few minutes in the middle. To be honest, my first impression was one of slight disappointment. It's a very good story and it's nice that Bunnelby wasn't just one of those Pokémon that a main character had for no real reason, and I'd been wondering for a while how Clemont ended up catching it, but I kind of wish something more meaningful had happened in the present, so that Clemont and Bunnelby could grow even closer instead of reminiscing about the day they met. I feel like the stuff with the train would've been really cool in the present - Clemont and Bonnie could've been separated from Ash and Serena, and as part of the course of the events, Clemont would remember how he caught his Bunnelby and watch as it bonded with the Pokémon in the area. I know we've had a lot of these, but an attempted release might've actually worked really well in that scenario, and wouldn't have been all that surprising given Clemont's personality.

Kanai Mika just wasn't as good in this episode as she was in the last one. She's a decent enough replacement, sure, but her energy level really didn't match up with Eureka's facial expressions / gestures half the time. It sounds like she's giving 80% when Ise Mariya would have given it 110.

At least it's not as bad as Kaiou-sama in Dragon Ball Super.

Not bad. Nice to see Clemont getting some time in the spotlight. Kinda felt like an Ash-free side episode part of the time, and I mean that in the best way possible :)

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom