• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY090: A Tag Battle is a Friendship Battle! Eievui's First Time in a Fight!!

Playerking

Not-well known member.
Reaction score
XY090 - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia

Discuss the episode here.

Here is my summary of the episode.

Ash and co. are taking a break outside a Pokemon Center.

They are on one side of a Pokemon battlefield.

Serena's Eevee runs behind Clemont's Bunnelby.

Chespin comes out of his Poke Ball.

Chespin chases Eevee around Bunnelby, as Eevee runs away from Chespin.

Eventually Chespin and Eevee stop running.

Clemont then talks to his Chepsin.

Someone calls out to Ash and co. from nearby.

The person who called out to Ash and co. was Tierno.

Tierno is on the other side of the battlefield and is standing alongside his Blastoise.

Ash is happy to see Tierno again.

Tierno and his Blastoise do a dance for Ash and co.

Ash is surprised to see that his Wartortle is now a Blastoise.

Bonnie is happy to see Blastoise and holds onto it's right arm, while she dangles off the arm.

Ash or Serena look up Blastoise on their Pokedex.

Tierno kneels before Serena and then says something to her.

Another voice yells out to Ash and co.

The other person who yelled out to Ash and co. was Shauna.

Shauna is nearby Ash and co. and she is standing alongside her Ivysaur.

Shauna walks up to Serena.

Serena and Shauna greet eachother by grasp eachother's hands as they each face towards the other.

Serena is surprised to see that her Bulbasaur is now a Ivysaur.

Serena looks up Ivysaur on its Pokedex.

Ash and co. then talk to Tierno and Shauna about Trevor.

Tierno mentions talks to Ash and co. about Trevor.

Trevor is shown somewhere else in a forest area, alongside his Charmeleon, taking a picture of a nearby Lairon.

Shauna then talks to Serena about her Eevee.

Shauna tells Serena that her Eevee can evolve into eight different Pokemon, each with a different type.

There is a fantasy of Serena's Pokemon as they perform with all of the different times of Eeveelutions.

Ash talks to Tierno about Anistar City.

Ash and co. (now including Tierno and Shauna) are all inside the Pokemon Center.

They are sitting at a long table, as some of their Pokemon eat some Pokemon food nearby the table.

Ash and Tierno talk about the Anistar City Gym.

Tierno tells Ash that the Anistar City Gym is a Psychic type Gym.

Serena and Shauna talk to eachother about the upcoming Pokemon Showcase, which is also in Anistar City.

Ash and co. talk about Eevee and how it is shy.

Ash and Clemont decide to send out some of their Pokemon, so that they can introduce themselves to Eevee.

The Pokemon include Ash's Frogadier and Clemont's Dedenne and Chepsin.

The Pokemon line up in a straight horizontal line.

Eevee goes up to each of the Pokemon, one at a time.

It goes up to Dedenne and eventually lets Dedenne introduce itself to Eevee.

It goes up to Chespin and Chespin tries not to spook Eevee, so that Eevee doesn't run away.

Chespin holds its breath in order to not say anything, which could spook Eevee.

Chespin eventually opens its mouth because it is unable to hold its breath any longer.

After Chespin does a big exhale because it held its breath for so long, Eevee gets spooked and runs away from Chespin.

Chespin is devastated that it scared Eevee away.

Bunnelby walks up to Chespin and pats it on the back, in order to console Chespin.

Ash and co. talk to eachother.

Serena is sitting down with her Pokemon.

Serena notices something on a TV screen inside the Pokemon Center.

On the screen is Aria, performing with her Delphox and Aromatisse.

Serena remembers when she met Aria in the past and had a Double Battle against her.

She also remembers back to the Double Battle against Aria, when her Fennekin evolved into a Braixen.

Ash and co. talk to eachother again.

Ash, Serena, Tierno and Shauna all agree to have a Tag Battle together, with Ash and Tierno battling Serena and Shauna.

Pokemon Quiz: Blastoise.

Ash, Serena, Tierno and Shauna stand on the battlefield right next to the Pokemon Center outside.

Ash, Serena, Tierno and Shauna will all use one Pokemon each.

Ash is using his Pikachu, Serena is using her Eevee, Tierno is using his Blastoise and Shauna is using her Ivysaur.

Clemont and Bonnie are on the sidelines, along with the other Pokemon who were outside of their Poke Ball's before.

The Pokemon on the sidelines then cheer for the the Trainer's on the battlefield.

They start their Tag Battle.

Shauna's Ivysaur uses Energy Ball.

Tierno's Blastoise uses Rapid Spin.

Ivysaur uses Razor Leaf.

Ash's Pikachu uses Electro Ball.

Serena's Eevee blocks an attack with Protect.

An attack comes towards Eevee.

Eevee runs to dodge the attack, but Eevee trips and falls to the ground.

The attack is coming closer towards Eevee.

Right before the attack hits Eevee, another attack hits the attack that is coming towards Eevee.

The two attacks cause an explosion of smoke after they collide.

Eevee is saved from the attack that came towards it.

After the smoke clears, Ivysaur can be seen standing next to Eevee.

Ivysaur was the one who saved Eevee from being hit by one of Pikachu's or Blastoise's attacks.

The battle continues on.

Eventually, Serena and Shauna leave the battle, probably because both of their Pokemon have been defeated.

Ash and Tierno then decide to have a battle against eachother.

After their battle, Ash and co. talk to eachother again.

The next morning, Ash and co. all run out of the Pokemon Center, because they have woken up later then they wanted to.

Bonnie is still in her Tyrantrum themed pyjamas as Clemont carries her while he runs.

Ash and co. run towards Anistar City.

To be continued.

I enjoyed this episode! This is the first time I watched a new Pokémon episode while it was airing in Japan (even though I live in the United States). I literally forced myself to stay up all night to watch the episode at 6 AM eastern (which translates to 7 PM in Japan Standard Time) and I found a way to watch TV Tokyo.

Pokémon Quiz - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia - And does somebody have all the rest of the answers? All I can remember is that Blastoise is the answer at the top left. Since I don't live in Japan, I don't have this taped or anything, nor can I memorize the rest of the answers. I don't even know who the host is since I don't speak Japanese.

This was yet another good Eevee episode.

I love the fact that the writers are taking it slow with Eevee, it's making progress step by step, but overall it remains timid and nervous and adorable which is amazing because I want to see Eevee keep getting development, at least until it evolves into Sylveon (Shauna actually told Serena in this episode about all the possible evolutionary stages of Eevee). Not to mention the fact that Eevee outdanced Tierno's Blastoise, it truly caught it by surprise with its speed and movements, especially when it's much tinier compared to Blastoise.

I also legit felt bad for Chespin, the poor guy is just trying to make friends. I'm sure he'll get there, eventually.

The battle was nothing special aside from that one moment I felt stood out.

Also, it appears that Tierno actually challenged Olympia's gym, but lost.

Poor Chespin, it's crush on Eevee is just adorable.

During the battle, when Serena saw how Eevee was using its dancing to avoid Blastoise, I thought we were going to get a moment like with Dawn & Togekiss, ie. Serena learns to work with Eevee's particular way of doing things. But no, instead we get "Oh, Eevee's so cute, let's immediately stop battling to concentrate on performances".

LOL at the final scene of everyone being late

Pokémon Quiz - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia - And does somebody have all the rest of the answers? All I can remember is that Blastoise is the answer at the top left. Since I don't live in Japan, I don't have this taped or anything, nor can I memorize the rest of the answers. I don't even know who the host is since I don't speak Japanese.

Top right - Crustle
Bottom left - Carracosta

What was all this about PikachuXEevee? I'm all about BunnelbyXEevee! The Pokemon's interactions made this episode perfect

Top right - Crustle
Bottom left - Carracosta

Thanks, I've added those to Bulbapedia. Pokémon Quiz

Also, who's the host of the Pokémon Quiz segment? I don't speak Japanese, so I don't know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another fun "let's watch the group interact!" episode. Against my better judgement, I'm starting to really warm to Harimaron! It proffering that cake thing to Eevee even though it really wanted to eat it, and then comfort eating it after being rejected was really relatable :p I'm glad Eevee's relationships currently appear to be purely platonic, because the little rat puts me in mind of a little baby every time it appears and I would find it quite creepy to see it blushing over one of the other pokemon/any of them being infatuated with it...

Star of the episode for me was Satoshi for being totally unable to understand Eevee and control his excitement. I know he's an excitable boy, but the contrast in this episode made him look so overhyped haha, I just really enjoyed him being told off by Eureka and Pikachu! It was also nice to see him prioritise his stomach when they were late. PS. Does Pikachu ever walk?!

I also liked the shot of Kamex bearing down on Eureka haha. Is it me though or did Kamex change size in every shot? Sometimes it looked HUGE and other times... well not that huge.

Thumbs down for more exposure of Serena's crush. I'm enjoying Omode's episodes apart from this so I suppose I shouldn't begrudge her this indulgence too much...

I'm thinking there will be Bunnelby x Eevee shipfics. Also, I think this may have been pointed out before, but it's still really funny; apparently Tierno has the same VA as Lord Ghirahim. And also, DreamDream fit well over Braixen's evolution, but it sure wasn't needed here. And finally, no Team Rocket interruption sure was a plus.

Is it me though or did Kamex change size in every shot? Sometimes it looked HUGE and other times... well not that huge.

I saw it, too. I hope Blastoise's inconsistent size won't become as big a problem as when the Lilo and Stitch TV series couldn't make a final decision on Gantu's size.

Overall, cute episode. I look forward to its dub.

Last edited:
This episode was awesome and hilarious in so many ways.

I like how Bunnelby was standing with Eevee at the beginning of the episode showing how she still only feels comfortable around him. Geez, Chespin really needs to back off. Trying to forcibly become Eevee's friend won't do any good. Damn, Tierno riding Blastoise in his entrance was amazing. And I loved seeing Bonnie hanging off of Blastoise's arm.

I also liked how Braxien and Pancham greeted Ivyaur once Shauna arrived. I hope Shauna's Eeveelution visions got Eevee and Serena to think about Eevee's future evolution. I know it's not likely, but damn it I wish she'd become a Vaporeon, Flareon, or Leafeon.

Aw, Bunnelby's so sweet, bringing Eevee a Pokepuff. I love how she rejected Chespin once again. Lol, at Ash scaring Eevee with his casual yelling. I love how Pikachu scolded him. Eevee's "greetings" with Dedene, Frogadier, Pikachu and Chespin were hilarious. Especially her reaction after Tail Whipping Dedenne. That was hilarious and adorable. I'll never understand why Chespin is so desperate to befriend Eevee when he has no problem being a dick to the other Pokemon for no reason. Why the hell was he even holding his breath? Regardless, I love how Bunnelby was there to help her through it all.

Once again, Tierno and his awesome dancing is what made the battle for me. Blastoise dance dodge was great. I'm surprised that it's still so flexible. Lol, I love how Tierno and Blatoise started dancing and Eevee was moving her paw to the beat. The Blastoise-Eevee dance battle was just fabulous.

Finally I loved the scene of everyone running at the end with puffy haired Clemont's dragging a pajama'd Bonnie, Shauna in the middle of fixing her hair, and Ash chewing of a piece of bread. That was the funniest thing from this episode.

Overall, everything was great. 9/10.

It's a wonderful episode.

I like how Eevee is still shy and they're all making attempts for Eevee to come out of its shell. However, Chespin's attempts to make friends with Eevee is a bad idea seeing how timid it is. I think this will be like Goodra and Dedenne's friendship where Dedenne was trying its best to be friends with Goomy and then earned its trust. Dedenne got a lot of development from that episode. Since Quilladin is teased, perhaps Chespin will evolve after getting some character development. Also, more Bunnelby is a good thing.

I like Tierno's entrance for this episode. Breakdancing Blastoise FTW, but still can't beat Serena's breakdancing Pancham. I think Bonnie dangling from Blastoise's arm is cute. It reminded me of that scene from the seventh movie where May and Max were dangling from that movie-only Character of the day (forgot his name)'s Blastoise...Did Blastoise get larger in that scene?

Although it's a minor detail, I really liked Shauna and Tierno's playful banter where she scolded Tierno for running off ahead and leaving her behind while Tierno was like "I beat you!" It shows that even though Tierno and Shauna tend to interact more with the gang, it shows that they still get along pretty well. Shauna's Bulbasaur evolved! I like how Ivysaur did a handshake with Pancham. I think Ivysaur's personality changed from the time it was a Bulbasaur since the first time Bulbasaur greeted Fennekin and Pikachu back at the Summer Camp, it just looked away, giving it a bit of a snooty personality.

I liked the montage of the Eeveelutions. Honestly speaking, Jolteon is my favorite, but it's obvious that Serena's going to get a Sylveon. I do like how Serena seemed to like the thought of Glaceon while Eevee seemed to like the thought of being a Jolteon.

I like how Trevor gets a mention and he's still out to collect Pokemon photos. His next target is a Lairon. Tierno challenged the Anistar Gym and lost. Ash wanted to know, but decides not to look at the spoilers because not knowing is more excitable. Also, that part where Shauna was like "Ash is always so positive. That's what's good about him, right?" making Serena blush. I like how she started to steam when Ash started to ask what's up when he probably heard his name from Serena.

The scene where Bunnelby gives Eevee a Pokepuff is...so...CUTE! I'm going to die of cuteness overload from this episode. Chespin wanted to share, despite wanting to eat it, but gets sad when Eevee rejects him and jumps onto Serena's lap. Then Ash's loud voice startles it and hides behind a plant. I like how Bonnie and Pikachu scold him XD

Then the scene where Dedenne, Frogadier, Pikachu and Chespin line up so that Eevee could get used to them. I think Noibat would've been a better choice than Frogadier since it's a baby. I do like how Chespin is trying really hard to get Eevee to like him like trying to be quiet, but failing. I like how Bunnelby is comforting Chespin.

Then Aria appears and Serena seems determined to get Eevee out of its shell. I kind of expected the battle to be interrupted since that's how Serena's battles always goes, but I do like how this one is justified. Serena's specialty isn't battling and seeing the way Eevee danced and then used Swift would've made Serena let out that artistic imagination of hers take over.

Then Ash and Tierno battle with unknown outcome.

Serena asking Eevee to teach her how to dance like Eevee is a good step for Serena and Eevee to bond.

Then the ending. That was hilarious. I like how Ash had the bread in his mouth like in stereotypical anime beginnings where the protagonist runs with bread in their mouth. I like how Shauna's hair looked as she was still doing it. Clemont's bed hair was hilarious and him carrying a sleeping Bonnie was funny as well.

9/10 for sure. Can't wait for the next episode. The animation looked very beautiful in the preview especially the scenes where Serena was calling out for Eevee and Jessie twirling with Gourgeist.

Good thing Team Rocket wasn't here as this episode would've been half as interesting if that happened. I really enjoyed watching it, there was a lot of solid story and reasonable development for Eevee and Serena too I guess.

When Eevee was using her tail to brush over Dedenne I half-expected something to happen where Dedenne accidentally used Nuzzle when the tail went over its cheeks, kind of like how that happens with Bonnie sometimes. Alas it was not to be, only Dedenne looking extremely cute as usual. I think Eevee just doesn't like Chespin's intrusive/excessively friendly personality, partly reflected in how she went and hid behind the plant once Ash started getting overly excited. I'm actually perfectly content with the fact that Eevee sort of dumped on Blastoise in the Tag Battle, it's kind of the same thing as how Heliolisk dominated Goodra at the Lumiose Gym with it's speed and agility, it's hard to hit something so tiny that's moving around like crazy. Especially when they've caught on to your rhythm. I did find it a little odd that they decided to use DoriDori during the battle, it was alright but I didn't think it was that worthy to use it in. I enjoyed those flashbacks to XY064 with Aria as well.

Seeing Bunnelby as Eevee's moral support is really nice, he's so chill about it. Probably comes from the days before he met Clemont (hey, maybe that's why they had that episode the other week :eek:). Poor Chespin though, destined to be forever alone, I shed a single tear for you my friend. Loving those scenes they had when Shauna was describing each of the Eeveelutions, that Jolteon bit was pretty crispy. Mmmm. How could I forget to mention how awesome Tierno and Blastoise were doing those moves together, big men can dance too! Oh and the Amourshipping moment, heh. Serena's going "oh shit oh shit oh shit" :p The ending was amazing too.

Overall a very fun episode, can't wait for next week. :D

This episode is.................FANTASTIC.

Chespin in this episode is just fantastic, I have felt that Chespin is such a character before, maybe due to his 'running gag of the group' status. This episode and the errand episode has really brought some light on his character. Him trying to not eat the Pokepuff before handing it to Eevee is a very nice one. Although he is way too aggressive in his attempts to befriend Eevee, I find it surprisingly that he had shown how sincere he is.

Ash getting scolded by Bonnie and Pikachu for scaring Eevee away with his shouting is a very nice scene, I am so glad they thought of that and included it.

Shauna's mentions of Eeveelutions are very surprisingly well done, they actually done the animation for every single one of them. The only slight disappointment (well, the fact they did the animation is a huge plus already) is that they didn't show Braixen and Pancham along all of them, only the Flareon and Leafeon gets that treatment. But Jolteon though, that seems like a hint!

Bunnelby acting as Eevee's guide in interacting with all other Pokemon is surprisingly good, although in the end Eevee managed to touch them only with the tail, that is some progression! Chespin though.... poor thing.. let me give you a hug. But I do wonder, why is Chespin so... nervous? Did Chespin have a crush on Eevee? I think this is likely the case, or else he wouldn't be so aggressive and nervous.

The battle oh yes, Eevee vs Blastoise turned into a dance off. I would say it was pretty cool. Ash on the other hand is so boring and winning as usual. I am glad the battle is cut short though, ideas are extremely important and one should write it down immediately. Ash vs Tierno though is off screen, so we didn't know the outcome. Oh and Chespin again, he needs some hug.

Overslept scene is totally unnecessary but do I want it? I do!

Overall 14/10. That was an enjoyable ride.

Boy I sure am glad the Rocket-Dan wasn't here to eat up screentime so we could instead spend nearly five minutes watching a fox struggle to lightly brush its tail up against others.

Boy I sure am glad the Rocket-Dan wasn't here to eat up screentime so we could instead spend nearly five minutes watching a fox struggle to lightly brush its tail up against others.

And that is why its a good start. It shows that Eevee is not going to get over its shyness overnight and is going to progress gradually. I am actually in love with how they spent the said five minutes to make me expect more from future instead of people that I have absolutely no expectation of and their forgettable appearance.

But the biggest progress Eevee made in this episode was during the battle against Kamex in the second half. That boring-ass scene of it learning to touch other pokemon could have been skipped altogether and absolutely nothing would have been lost. It had already been established that Eevee's shy.

Meanwhile, it'd be nice to see Musashi training for her upcoming Pokethlon competition.

I second that, God forbid we've ever seen Musashi training :/

But the biggest progress Eevee made in this episode was during the battle against Kamex in the second half. That boring-ass scene of it learning to touch other pokemon could have been skipped altogether and absolutely nothing would have been lost. It had already been established that Eevee's shy.

Wait, so if I'm understanding you correctly, it has to be an all or nothing in order for the make that scene have meaning?

So baby steps mean absolutely nothing in this scenario?

If I'm wrong, please tell me, but that's what it seems here. In order for the scene to have any meaning we had to actually see MASSIVE progress. It wasn't enough for Eevee to just approach these Pokemon, or the Pokemon approach Eevee before Eevee freaked out.

The scene in question wasn't "baby steps," though. It was just a scene added into the episode to help the episode fill a half hour.

(but also it was boring as hell and was an absolute chore to sit through)

It wasn't just that scene either. The "let's show every Eevee evolution, again" montage was another example of a scene that was clearly added to pad out the episode.

The scene in question wasn't "baby steps," though. It was just a scene added into the episode to help the episode fill a half hour.
Except it was baby steps. You're just choosing to ignore that.

(but also it was boring as hell and was an absolute chore to sit through)
Which might explain why you think it was added just to fill time.

The "let's show every Eevee evolution, again" montage was another example of a scene that was clearly added to pad out the episode.
I'm pretty sure that montage will tie into the next episode since one of the quiz questions will be regarding Eevee's evolutions.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom