• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S18 EP40: A Frolicking Find in the Flowers!

Finally, Serena's second capture. And man was it great.

First things first, was it just me, or was Eevee switching between her normal dub voice and her Japanese voice throughout the episode. I thought I was just imagining it because I’ve been hearing her Japanese voice so much recently, but I swear it would switch back and forth within seconds.

Anyway, on to the episode. Lol at Bonnie and Dedenne rolling around in the grass. That was cute. In fact, the entire scene of the gang playing around was cute. I like how Ash was playing with Pikachu, Frogadier sprayed water at Hawlucha, Noibat was flying with Talonflame, and Serena made flower accessories for herself, Braxien, Bonnie, and Dedenne. I also particularly enjoyed Pancham helping Dedenne get his crown back when it rolled away. Hm, an Eevee dancing on a rock in the middle of a giant field. Well that's not something you see everyday. Lol. I lol'd a Braxien demonstrating a dance move with Pancham and Chespin trying to imitate her during Serena's explanation.

Alright so the search for Eevee begins...with an invention...that fails. Well Clemont's off to a good start:/ But seriously though, how do you make an LIVING BEING DETECTOR and use it in a field with several Pokemon, and expect it to only single out Eevee:/ I did like the searching scenes; especially the Pidgey getting scared by Talonflame. I also thought Frogadier looking underwater was funny yet odd since...well most Eevee don't just chill underwater. I thought that was odd, but then the damn thing showed up in a tree and was hopping on branches, which I also wouldn't expect! Lol. And holy crap, Eevee saved Serena's life!

Seriously siblings, you put two PokePuffs within 5 feet of each other? Doesn't that seem a bit suspicious? Oh well. I did love how Bunnelby totally saw Eevee, told her to take the PokePuff and didn't say anything to the group. I also loved seeing Chespin getting blamed for stealing the food. Serves him right for stealing the other mon's food so much.

Wow, Pancham sleeps with his glasses on. That's so awesome. Damn, Eevee really is a great dancer. I wonder what would make a wild Pokemon so into dancing? Moving on, Idk why, but I thought Serena thanking Bonnie so enthusiastically after her compliment was a bit…odd. Lol.

There was something pretty epic about Serena running through that line of Seed Bomb to save Eevee. But damn, Eevee was still scared of Serena even after she saved her. Geez. Well at least she went back to save her. Because, I guess Serena was just going to stand there and not defend herself from TR’s attack:/ Aw, the scene where she finally let Serena pet her was so cute. Looks like Eevee is still shy around the other Pokemon, except Bunnelby. But I will say that Hawlucha's attempt at a greeting was cute. And lol at everyone running circles around the dizzy bunny.

Overall a really nice episode for Serena's second capture. 9/10.

While it was nice to see Serena capture Eevee I would have liked it more if she could. Have gotten one of the other forums of it like Umbreon.

Bunnelby has to be the star of this episode - the interaction with Chespin has been highlighted really well of late, and this was such a great example of it, especially being in an episode where that wasn't the focus (unlike last week).

I'll be interested how long is spent on getting Eevee ready for facing large crowds - considering the showcase scenario is probably its worst nightmare.

I look forward to seeing how it evolves into a Sylveon.

Average episode.

Find it annoying she's found two Pokemon who 'love' to perform. ...I'd like to see her get one that is normal and doesn't want to, or ends up hating performing or something.

Well Eevee could be interesting. We're probably seeing Slyveon.

First things first, was it just me, or was Eevee switching between her normal dub voice and her Japanese voice throughout the episode. I thought I was just imagining it because I’ve been hearing her Japanese voice so much recently, but I swear it would switch back and forth within seconds.

No, it wasn't just you. It appears they used voice clips from both Kayzie Rogers and Mika Kanai, similar to what they do with Seviper. I definitely heard both "Eevee" and "Eievui". And it really threw me off, because it wasn't subtle like Seviper. I really hope they settle on dubbing Eevee with Kayzie Rogers or just sticking with Mika Kanai in future episodes, even though I love both their interpretations of it.

Anyway, besides the noticeable voice flip-flop, it was a pretty good episode. Ditto on most of what you've said, Sakuraa.

Last edited:
I must admit that Eevee sounds adorable, even if her voice swaps. And I do like how they are doing more with Bunnelby, given that the bunny is normally a background character. Let's give them credit for expanding his role over time.

The Chespin framing bit was particularly funny.

Though I swore the Whose that Pokemon voice for Eevee made her sound southern.

Well, a rather girlish episode to be honest with all the flowers and cuteness. So really hard for me to review. Just like Ash and Clemnot, I guess I'll be standing on the sidelines today.
It's nice to see that Serena got a new friend who seems to be pretty skilled at dancing. I could imagine, though, that Evee's shyness might be a problem for future performances, so it'll be interesting to see how they'll work on that.
What bothered me, though, was Serena being so totally hyped that she was speaking with such a high-pitched voice all the time. To be honest, it became really painful to listen to by the end.
Other than that, it was an ok episode I'd say

Ed Goldfarb has made the most adorable BGM ever in this episode. Eevee's theme in the dub is now my favorite TPCi dub track and also now my favorite XY anime track. Please do release a full version of it.

This was a cute episode, as I'll be expecting from Serena's new catch.

I always thought they kept Mika Kanai's voice in the dub? I remember watching Prologue to Awakening recently and Virgil's Eevee really sounded like Kanai. Also, I don't know whether that's just because of the way that Kayzie Rogers did the voice but it felt like the audio quality for her wasn't as good?

I loved the interactions some of the Pokemon had when they were relaxing, especially Frogadier and Hawlucha. Noibat's dub voice can be really cute as well. Fun episode, quite liked it.

I let my sister see the parts with Eevee dancing, and she couldn't stop squee-ing. She now wants a dancing Eevee.

I liked this episode a lot. It had some great elements in it and it's a good Serena-focused story.

I'm looking forward to seeing more from Eevee! The show introduced a Pokémon that is shy around humans, which gives great potential for development later - I'm glad it was set up that way, because it will allow Eevee to really grow as it travels with Serena. Neither Clemont nor Bonnie really seems to have much of a role in this episode, which is to be expected, I guess, because there's only so much those two can do in a Serena-central plot. Also, I think the bit with Bunnelby allowing Eevee to sneak away with the Poké Puff and watching Chespin take the blame for it was very cute and fun to watch. :) Watching Serena charge head-on into a barrage of Seed Bomb attacks was a new thing as well - except for the time she tackled Pumpkaboo back when she caught Pancham, she's never behaved quite that recklessly in dangerous situations. The strategy of having a character stand up in front of a Pokémon that is about to be attacked in order to gain its trust is by no means a new concept, but it still works well in this situation, although I have a hard time believing that neither Braixen nor Pancham could have pulled some kind of counterattack when Gourgeist launched another Seed Bomb. Even so, the scene would not have been as powerful if Serena had tried to fight back rather than take the hit for Eevee, and I liked the way it ultimately played out. I wish Clemont had done more than hold Bonnie during Team Rocket's attack, though. Ash and Serena were the only two really fighting back, and Pikachu was hit by Inkay's Foul Play a little too easily while Serena's Pokémon had total command of the battle. But again, the episode is about Serena, not Ash, so I'll forgive that. And the ending with Chespin, Bunnelby, and Eevee was nice for that last little bit of humor.

All in all, I really enjoyed this episode. Serena's growth along her journey is showing more and more, and the episode certainly delivered with her long-awaited second capture. I don't really have more than nitpicky complaints about it - I'd say 9/10.

I liked that Serena finally got her third capture. And found it hilarious when Eevee took the food and left Chespin to get the blame.

Didn't like how Eevee chose Bunnelby as the protector though, Hawlucha is a way better choice.
And is Luxray ever going to do anything?

I liked that Serena finally got her third capture. And found it hilarious when Eevee took the food and left Chespin to get the blame.

Didn't like how Eevee chose Bunnelby as the protector though, Hawlucha is a way better choice.
And is Luxray ever going to do anything?

Well she did had only two pokemon so capturing a third pokemon it was bound to happen at some point. I see it evolving into a Sylveon and it could evolve in a showcase. As for Luxray, I do wish the writers give it some development these days.

I thought, ok, I skipped some of the fillers, I'll give the Eevee episode a go... (You know, Jolteon lover ect).

When I saw Eevee dancing........... I literally almost became a girl loool. It was soooo cute, I would never evolve it, EVER, I would sacrifice Jolteon all day for that cute dancing Eevee, and I LOVE how Timid it is around the other Pokémon right now, Serena's a Momma. Also, that Swift looked boss the way it danced and threw those stars.

It was a good episode, typical in some respects, but different in others. All I ask for future episodes is just to see Noibat (even Ash's other Pokémon just handle team Rocket more than Pikachu does). I know this rarely happens, but this is a good time for them to develop screen time for Noibat before it evolves (even though I don't see that happening lol).

I give the episode 7/10.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom