• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S18 EP42: Tag Team Battle Inspiration!

I thought that this episode was pretty neat. We could use a tag battle every once and awhile.

This episode was awesome and hilarious in so many ways. But really, these guys need to pick a set voice for Eevee. Either leave it unchanged or dub all of it. Why keep switching back and forth? It’s so annoying, and probably confusing as hell to the younger viewers, for it to keep switching back and forth between seconds. Especially when the voices are so noticeably different.

Ok, mini rant over. Getting on to the actual episode, I like how Bunnelby was standing with Eevee at the beginning of the episode showing how she still only feels comfortable around him. Geez, Chespin really needs to back off. Trying to forcibly become Eevee's friend won't do any good. Damn, Tierno riding Blastoise in his entrance was amazing. I loved that he said he was really excited to see Serena in particular, despite the fact that he's Ash's rival. Wtf Ash, I think Tierno knows his own Pokmon evolved. And I loved seeing Bonnie hanging off of Blastoise's arm.

I also liked how Braxien and Pancham greeted Ivyaur once Shauna arrived. But gosh do I hate the voice they gave Ivysaur. Why is it so damn deep? I hope Shauna's Eeveelution visions got Eevee and Serena to think about Eevee's future evolution. I know it's not likely, but damn it I wish she'd become a Vaporeon, Flareon, or Leafeon.

I have to say, I thought it was funny how Ash asked Tierno so many questions about the gym battle, then 5 seconds later he said he’d just see when he got there. And OMG Serena’s reaction when Shauna mentioned her crush on Ash was the so hilarious. I actually laughed at that. Aw, Bunnelby's so sweet, bringing Eevee a Pokepuff. I love how she rejected Chespin once again. Lol, at Ash scaring Eevee with his casual yelling. I love how Pikachu scolded him. Eevee's "greetings" with Dedene, Frogadier, Pikachu and Chespin were hilarious. Especially her reaction after Tail Whipping Dedenne. That was hilarious and adorable. I'll never understand why Chespin is so desperate to befriend Eevee when he has no problem being a dick to the other Pokemon for no reason. Why the hell was he even holding his breath? The evil side of me kind of hopes that she’ll never warm up to him (or at least that it’ll take a really long time). Regardless, I love how Bunnelby was there to help her through it all.

Once again, Tierno and his awesome dancing is what made the battle for me. Blastoise dance dodge was great. I'm surprised that it's still so flexible. Lol, I love how Tierno and Blastoise started dancing and Eevee was moving her paw to the beat (or at least she was in the original. I don’t know why the dub decided to change the way Tierno was counting halfway through). The Blastoise-Eevee dance battle was just fabulous.

Finally I loved the scene of everyone running at the end with puffy haired Clemont's dragging a pajama'd Bonnie, Shauna in the middle of fixing her hair, and Ash chewing of a piece of bread. That was the funniest thing from this episode.

Overall, everything was great. 9/10.

I really liked this episode, but why wouldn't Ash use Noibat to battle against Eevee? Noibat still hasn't had a battle at all, after a ton of episodes.

Lack of Noibat...... not letting him be part of the Eevee meet with Frogadier, Chespin, Pikachu, and Dedenne.... seriously? He didn't even fight, Ash just had to use the strongest Pokemon in the cast against the weakest when it could have been balanced by using Noibat.

And once again, why Bunnelby of all Pokemon for the one Eevee likes?
Battle getting called off and no TRio appearance made the episode even worse

5/10

And once again, why Bunnelby of all Pokemon for the one Eevee likes?
Battle getting called off and no TRio appearance made the episode even worse

They probably chose Bunnelby because it's a Normal-type as well, and it's been getting the shaft up until recently.
And here I thought no TRio appearance was considered a positive thing over here.

And wow, a lot happened in this episode. Ivysaur, Blastoise, Ash almost finding out Serena has a crush on him, oh my! And not to mention it's the first battle between Serena and Ash (albeit an indirect one). And loving that Ash/Tierno and Serena/Shauna bonding. Man, I love how Tierno is so much more likeable in the anime in the games. It definitely helps that Todd Haberkorn voices him.

Anyway, I kind of underestimated Eevee's battling skills and was pleasantly surprised. That thing is so agile, and I found it cute when it was imitating Blastoise's dancing. It was also cute and funny when it tried to introduce itself to all of the other Pokémon and succeeded with everyone except Chespin :p

As for the dub, I was pleased with Blastoise and Ivysaur's new dub voices done by Billy Bob Thompson and Justin Anselmi, respectively. The dub seems to be trying to balance Eevee's dual voice problem by using Mika Kanai as its normal voice (which I can totally hear some Emolga in, by the way), while using Kayzie Rogers as its surprised/happy voice. The switch is still jarring nonetheless as, as Sakuraa said, they sound noticeably different, so I kind of hope they settle on Mika Kanai (or Kayzie Rogers, but I've gotten used to Kanai TBH). Also, anybody catch Bill Rogers using his Brock voice as the Pokévision announcer?

Last edited:
Moe Eevee.....who knew there were ways to make an Eevee cuter?

Anyway, on to the Noibat thing: Noibat is a Pokemon who makes a lot of loud noises. It's kind of logical that Ash would not send either it, or the very hammy Hawlucha out.

Sure Talonflame would have worked too, but Talonflame looks a bit more likely to eat Eevee than Frogadier or Pikachu.

If there's one (of many many other) things the dub knows how to do is make Eevee even more adorable. Yeah, they really should settle for an option on her voice, but her BGM is great, especially since, as I hoped when the dub of her debut episode aired, it's tweaked around with according to the situation. Just as I was hoping.

At this point, I think my official nickname for Serena's Eevee will be "Twinklepaws".

Annoyed Ash used Pika in a friendly battle tbh but ehhhhhhhhhh.

I did very much like Serena doing her hair and Ash with the joke of running with toast in the mouth. He just needed to run into his crush.

Crush comments were hilar.

Anyone find it unintentionally hilarious when Ivysaur moved his mouth but nothing came out?

Great episode; Eevee is so cute. Chespin was hilarious in this as well and I liked the battle as well. I found the dance off between Eevee and Blastoise hilarious and I feel that the interruption of the battle was justified for Serena's character. Also yay for Team Rocket not being in an episode for once XD

10/10

Good episode overall, but I agree with some of the comments above about the lack of Noibat (would of been great for the double against Eevee). I also didn't really like that Serena stopped the battle straight away, they could of finished it up tbh. Would of took up more time if TR was involved too so I'm glad they weren't this time.

Eevee is just my heart & soul at this point lol, I loved when Shauna was telling Serena about all it's evolutions and it slightly flinched when she said Jolteon. It would never happen, but that would complete my life. 9/10.

It's been a while since an episode made me laugh out loud, but this one sure did it when Chespin was trying to avoid breathing/saying anything while Eevee was greeting everyone.

Also, Shauna teasing Serena about her crush was top notch stuff.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom