• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S19 EP05: Dream a Little Dream from Me!

Honestly, I thought this was pretty interesting overall.

I like how Squishy's dream was actually caused by Darkrai since his gimmick is causing nightmares, but at the same time I found it to be just a bit forced that a random Darkrai just showed up out of nowhere. Regardless, Squishy's dream was hilarious. Seeing Braxien as a Delphox was awesome. Still hope she evolves at some point. Wasn't too pleased seeing Bunnelby and Frogadier's hideous evolution and deevolution, but eh, at least it was just a dream. Froakie's voice was a bit difficult to understand though. Chespin and Pancham evolving out of sheer anger was pretty funny. I love how Chesnaught just causally asked Pikachu if he could do the same. I also really like how they portrayed Team Flare as a literal ball of fire. And heck, even TR was somewhat humorous with how they were dissing each other.

I adored Squishy's voice. He sounded so sophisticated. Interesting how he just referred to Pikachu as "Young Man's Pikachu" and Meowth as "Meowth of Team Rocket". I still find it a bit weird that he didn't know Ash's name, but seeing as how distant he is from everyone, even Bonnie, it's not that hard to believe. But am, I missing something, because when did Meowth learn Squishy's name? Eh, I guess he must have just heard one of the gang say it at some point and I just don't remember:p

So overall, pretty funny episode. Pokemon getting the main focus, some insight on Squishy, and slightly less annoying TR. I'd honestly say its 9/10.

Wow, an actual decent episode of dubbing.
Delphox actually sounded the most mature and normal, and I believe she was voiced by Eileen Stevens, along with the other Pokemon's original VA.

I liked how Billy did Froakie, it sounded just like its usual cry.

Alyson's Diggersby is eh, but it did sound like Bunnelby, so fair enough.

Jesus Chris, Jessie's play on Wobbuffet. o_O

James's Inkay act sounded like he tried a little too hard..

Squishy's voice was actually decent for TPCI. I wonder how 4Kids would've did it.

Chespin sounded like himself, and most definetly not out of character, while Pancham was probably the worst out of them in my opinion.

8/10 cause the episode was interesting.

Jessie did one heck of a Wobbuffet.

Squishy was Doctor Who.

A lot of cute Pikachu and Meowth moments.

I was happy with this episode. Prolly a 9/10. I liked the dub.

Oh my... um... where should I start with this one? More importantly, what in the world did I just get finished watching? Eh, let's start with the two things I liked:
1) The best one-liner by Jessie to date: "That was one big bang of a bang-boom." 10/10, Jessie. Well said.
2) Froakie's "human" voice. I can't lie, that was really funny to listen to.

Okay, I really hate these episodes where at the end of twenty minutes, pretty much nothing has happened. Everyone went to sleep at night and woke up the next day. That's ALL that happened. At least A Trip Down Memory Train had a good story to back up the lack of a plot for the episode, but this one... didn't. It literally wasn't until the announcer's closing remarks that I understood what even happened at all. Pikachu and Meowth ended up in Squishy's dream - that didn't register with me, I wasn't sure who was sharing whose dream. Also, Darkrai from nowhere. Really? They went for the dream story with a random Darkrai?

Squishy's human voice definitely took me by surprise. All of the stuff with the evolutions and the Pokémon talking like humans and vice versa... I get it's dream stuff, and dreams are naturally bizarre, but wow. That was... interesting.

I can only assume that the fiery demon is representative of Team Flare trying to recapture Squishy, and there's probably some deep symbolism they tried to throw in here of Team Rocket, the twerps, and all of their Pokémon using their combined efforts to save Squishy later on down the road. A lot of this episode felt like foreshadowing of what was to come down the road.

Basically, I feel like this episode was some kind of an attempt to reveal what Squishy can do and how significant it was to Kalos and all that without letting Ash and co. in on it. But that just did not work at all. And while I'm on the topic of what Squishy can and cannot do, its supposed ability to restore an entire ecosystem to its original state is way too much in my opinion. That's something that a Pokémon like Celebi is able to do. Not Zygarde. Zygarde uses its cells to observe and maintain peace, not to completely revitalize a destroyed area. Still, it happened in a dream, so maybe it was symbolic of something.

I'm gonna call this a 2.5/10.

Last edited:
Ooooh goodness is this an episode I would've hated to see in its original Japanese... Guess why.

How long has it been since we saw a Pokemon other than Meowth or a movie-specific legendary/mascot with telepathy speak in any capacity? Each of their voices, by the way, were great. And the dream itself was wild. Hopefully it'll be a Checkhov's Gun of some kind.

And is it just me, or does Squishy sound like Chris Ayres's Frieza?

After watching this, oh man I am so with everyone here this was good, but at the end what was it for? I liked the voices and pokemon impressions everyone did, the actors must've had a very good time with that. Darkrai was with out a doubt a pokemon who was just there and even though I like it, it was there for a reason? Squishy got story but very little of it and in the end this is an episode I'd take over all of the fillers we had but hey at least were done them right? Looking for forward to next week's ninja village 2-parter arc with Sanpei yeah!

That was really different, but I did enjoy it. I wish the encounter with Darkrai at the end would've been more fulfilling, maybe something to explain why it was there other than just landing in a tree at night. I wish they would have explained if everyone but Pikachu and Meowth stayed up the rest of the night, because it was hard to tell. After Bunnelby went back I was really hoping Delphox would go back to a Fennekin, but it unfortunately didn't happen. I wonder if this is something that will have any merit in the future, because that would make the episode a lot better than if it were just a random nightmare.

That was quite the episode. It was fun and enjoyable.

Going the Digimon route of talking and evolving/devolving would be interesting aha.

Why the hell was there a random Darkrai though XD glad Ash recognised it. He clearly should've been triggered from getting rekd. I hope that was Tobais' and he did it for revenge for jobbing to Sceptile.

Nice to see Ash is still a little traumatized from the last time he met a Darkrai ;)

I'll give it points for trying to be different and interesting. Very much so even...but I kept thinking of those Battle Frontier fillers that tried to recapture the "anything goes" spirit of the Kanto days only to fail. I mean, it's not that bad, but still not as good as it could've been, especially with such a premise!

Also, I get that they were adding subtle Team Flare foreshadowing...but it was TOO subtle, making it more fillery than I think they meant it to be.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom